Bluegrass.org Employee Reviews

Collaborative work environment with dedicated people
Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 18, 2019
I love the people at Bluegrass! I have met some of the most hard-working people here. They care about the people we serve, and are always willing to help out a co-worker. Lots of room to move to other positions, and they love to promote from within.
Pros
Food trucks, casual dress days, paid time off
Cons
Takes time to learn all aspects of company
Stressful and Low Pay
IMPACT Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 9, 2019
Its all about money here, unfortunately. A certain amount of appointments were needed each month in order to bill insurance. Even if the client didn't need those appointments, or needed more appointments, it didn't matter. It was required that you bill insurance for every client, even if the client list was up to 30 people. Thats 120 appointments in one month with 30 different family schedules. If you didn't reach the goal, you got in BIG trouble. It was insanely stressful. Not to mention, the pay was about $26,000 so not worth it.

Also, the company always seemed SUPER unstable. There were always rumors that our program would be shutting down, that there wasn't enough money for our program, that we were all going to lose our jobs, etc. This was also super stressful.

Some pros included being about to make school and home visits which got you out of the office and not sitting at a computer all day. There was also an option to work from home on days you had a lot of notes to write which was nice. Management was not micromanaging so that probably how most people lasted so long. All my coworkers were constantly talking about other jobs they were trying to get in order to leave.
Pros
Helping kids, flexible work schedule, flexible office
Cons
Low pay, unhealthy work environment, stressful
Horrible Management
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington KyDecember 11, 2018
I was excited to start my job here because I love helping people but no sooner did I start when I was hounded about all of the drama that goes on with upper management. I decided I would create an opinion for myself only to discover management really is horrible, doesn’t care about employees and acts like high schoolers. They’d rather you take the fall for their incompetence than to be held accountable for their own actions. It’s a shame because the benefits are wonderful. Now I know why turnover is so high here.
Pros
Great support staff, benefits
Cons
PAy is aweful for services provided
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 4, 2018
The work that bluegrass does is Amazing for the clients. However what they pay their workers is not realistic or fair to the work that is actually done.
Poor Management
Outpatient Clinician & Substance Abuse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 15, 2018
Management is not effective and there is no way to report that without ramifications to your job. Raises are not common. Training is great but lack of support from management takes away from that.
Pros
Training
Cons
Turnover
Jokewood pros and cons
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYOctober 9, 2018
If you are single and don’t have much of a life this job is for you. However if you have a family or value anytime for yourself this isn’t the place. Oakwood is very cut-throat, unless you know someone you can count on no advancements or if you decide to leave and come back they hold that against you. Never have I ever seen such unprofessional management.

You are constantly short staffed so you are working more than you are home. They expect you to do nothing but work and get no gratification. The last raises anyone got was probably 10years ago so forget that. However, somehow magically you get staff when state come to do their rounds. If state came unannounced then oakwood would be shut down, so muh disgusting stuff goes on here.

The only plus about this place is you meet some cool co-workers and the clients are awesome! And they do have good benifits.
Pros
Insurance, life insurance, retirement, awesome clients, some good co-workers
Cons
Poor management, over worked-underpaid, no advancement, unfair wages, unfair treatment
The worse place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 19, 2018
This jo was stressful only because upper management would talk about employees behind their backs or to their faces, employees were treated poorly and not given the opportunity to advance. If a problem arose, employees did not get the support they needed to fix the problem.
I worked at Bluegrass Oakwood.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 21, 2018
I worked at Bluegrass Oakwood for 7 years. I left as soon as I found a job that payed close to what I made there. I worked several different positions, and they all sucked, but none worse then floor staff or classroom staff. Management doesn't care about the front line workers.
Cons
Management is incompetent complaints complaints to higher admin goes unheard. .
Casemanager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 14, 2018
Once you make a supervisor or manager angry by challeging their incompetence, you are black balled from bluegrass.org. Especially if you are right....Not an organization that I would refer anyone to apply to. Their turnover is the proof.
Pros
Wages, Pto, vacation and sick days
Cons
Incompetent supervisors, admin, etc.
Great Co workers
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 13, 2018
Enjoyed working with diverse populations. Training opportunities. Flexible schedules available. Community collaboration with various agencies was encouraged.
Pros
location
Cons
lack of raises or bonuses after 2008
Company leaves staff unmotivated and dead on the inside
Residential Associate (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 10, 2018
There is hardly any chance of advancement, no raises for staff. Management treats staff with disrespect and devalues their lives outside of work. Outrageous overtime hours, sometimes working back to back double shifts for three to four days in a row.
No incentives to go above and beyond in work performance. Highly stressful work environment, super petty upper management. HR department is joke and constantly works against staff. Will not accomodate school or class schedules. Policies made and enacted set staff up for failure. Over worked, underpaid. I do not recommend working for this company at all.
This company does not care for their direct care staff.
Pros
The clients rock and the insurance is okay.
Cons
Pretty much everything from management down m.
It is extremely fast paced, stressful at times, but worth it for the families.
Case Manager/Support Broker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 29, 2018
The people I work with are great! Some of the families I have came in contact with are amazing. I just need something closer to home and that has set hours.
Somerset facility is horrible!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYMay 8, 2018
Management is beyond horrible. Too many chiefs. What one person gets away with another will get in trouble for. Stress level is high. They expect you to forsake your life for this job and expect you to bend over backwards for them when you are nothing but disposable to the company. They need to clean house of these "double-dippers" those who have retired and then came back in a higher paying position. Those individuals really screwed a lot of staff over when they had to do the mass lay-offs a few years back. Lets get rid of the 3 lowest paid in the department but keep these useless ones who are making 3x what those other employees were making. And I know for fact, considering I saw pay stubs and checked time sheets.
Ok place to work
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  KYMay 4, 2018
This job like many others depends on your supervisor. I’ve have good ones and bad ones. Don’t plan on getting rich here. Very low pay for the amount of work you do. No respect for clerical staff.
Pros
Nice amount of leave time
Cons
No raises
Great Place to work
Corporate Director of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 24, 2018
Bluegrass, had had it's ups and downs but, it is great to be able to work with people who actually care. The staff genuinely cares about the clients, and about the community.
great with schedule
CLS worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 7, 2018
Was really flexible with the hours you worked as long as their was notification in advance. Loved the management because they were easy to communicate with, ask any questions, and they gave a lot of encouragement.
Pros
scheduling hours
Cons
timesheets and paperwork
Compassionate Company
Regional Director of IDD Operations (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 1, 2018
I have worked for Bluegrass.org for 12 years and have watched management consistently support the mission and values of the organization by remaining client focused.
Mission Driven Organization
Regional Director of IDD Operations (Current Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYFebruary 1, 2018
Bluegrass is a great place to work! Bluegrass serves as the Community Mental Health Center for 17 counties located in central KY. As part of that mission, Bluegrass provides services for individuals with concerns related to mental health, substance use, and intellectual and developmental disabilities. The company often serves people who have been turned away elsewhere, and is dedicated to their mission of caring for KYs most vulnerable citizens. I have been blessed with fantastic managers and opportunities for advancement through this organization.
Pros
Fantastic team atmosphere, wonderful managers, family friendly
Cons
Challenging financial environment for the industry
Positive work environment
IDD Regional Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 1, 2018
Have worked for this company for 15 plus years. Family friendly, great staff members, and room for advancement. As any job in mental health, there are stressors and difficult situations, but have always felt supported.
Pros
Great benefits
Great experience
Staff (Current Employee) –  Danville, KYJanuary 31, 2018
This is a great job to start out and understand mental health. I would recommend this company if you are looking for a position out of college to gain experience. However, there are no raises and minimal options for advancement, so I wouldn't expect anyone to stay around.
The turn over rate is high, and I would expect the low wages as the reasoning.
Policies and procedures are constantly changing, however your pay wont.
Offices throughout the state are closing, leaving clients without care, which is heart breaking.
Pros
experience, laid back atmosphere
Cons
wages, expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluegrass.org. Our community is ready to answer.