BlueLinx Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A wonderful place....in spite of
Corporate Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2018
BlueLinx was a place....at least when in was still there....that was still in the practices of the 'gold old boy' ways. It was a male dominated society. Specfically a white male dominated sales force that made it difficult for most outside that description to succeed.

Specifically for me....I had a manager that was extremely knowlegeable but an absolute irritant. At times the person could be disrespectful, condescending and racist. in the span of a few seconds.

After working with the person for years....I thought it best that I leave the company.
Pros
Dedicated work force
Cons
Several people in management roles who should not be
Great job, poor managment
Market Manager/Tech Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 28, 2018
I enjoyed my job. I loved working from home. I did not agree with the competitive nature of management. I did not agree with no pay increase within the 9 years of employment regardless of job performance.
Decent workplace, mostly slow at times
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 22, 2018
Management does not understand the laborer positions very well. Pretty laid back but lacking in team work. Hardest part of the job is working outside year round. Easiest part is the work itself. Very easy and very understandable.
Ok place
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INDecember 26, 2017
Not a bad place to work. Just not enough money for all the time. Very fast paced work an dirty. You have to wear bright neon orange or green.
Bosses can be rude.
Very stressful environment both employees are helpful
Import & Export Logistic Supervisor (6yrs) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2017
Company is what you make of it and can be beneficial workplace. Enjoy what you do and learn as much as you can but the company has growth potentials. I
Pros
good place to learn building material
Cons
all about the profits and less about employees
this company can't make money without selling off real estate
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 31, 2017
Excellant company to work for, if you are like a well mannered dog or if you let kids in the playground push you around as a child. Management is not creative and tend to forward the same emails back and forth to look busy. They cut way back on expenses, watered down the commissions and set unrealistic goals I was in the top 10% of the sales force, when they cut my compensation and then I was lied to by the current GM , so I left.
Fun business and great place to work
Outside Product Specialist GA (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 3, 2017
Everyday is an opportunity to improve your skill set in the Building Products business. Ever evolving business that is fun, competitive and constantly changing. If you are a "get it done" type you will thrive and have opportunities to grow with BlueLinx.
Pros
Employee benefits are in line with that of bigger companies.
Fast paced steady work
material handler (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 30, 2017
Fast paced work environment.constant interacting with customers.Steady work.Good benefits as well as paid time off. No room for advancement.Contantly loading and unloading trucks.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
No room for advancement
talkinig to customer
Commodity Trader/Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Cary, ILSeptember 25, 2017
Wish I could of visited customers and management. Lack of communication at upper leval of management . Most of the time
upper management did not know how to interact with employees.
The keep to themselfs.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
No face to face with customers or management
Decent place to work, former co-workers made time go by.
Lead Man/foreman (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 11, 2017
Blue Linx was a decent place to work. Management wasn't always fair, but the crew of good workers made things run smooth. One of my biggest issues were when I was working in their lumber department and we kept encountering snakes while we were working.
great manager- very team oriented - best inside sales team
Outside Sales/Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2017
The new CEO is making great improvements and allowing BlueLinx to turn the corner and becoming a major player in the markets. Manager in the Southeast is awesome. great team leader.
Pros
Great general management
Cons
Product Managers
enjoyed my position
tractor trailer operator (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, MAAugust 29, 2017
Was laid off from this position although I enjoyed my job. I transported lumber to different locations around the state. I enjoy driving and plan to continue to do so.
Great place to work BEFORE buyout
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Midfield, ALAugust 17, 2017
As Georgia Pacific sold to BlueLinx, management changed and the onsite manager brought in was not efficient nor team oriented. His style was not in accordance with the past company and was not received well. BlueLinx also began hauling other building supply items and the loads were not safely being loaded but we were expected to secure and haul them. As it became more dangerous for me, I felt the need to look elsewhere for employment and an opportunity arose to better my situation.
Pros
Annual Truck Rodeo company wide
Cons
atmosphere after buyout
same as Elpaso Southern
Claims Representative / Product Liability (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 17, 2017
Provide administrative assistant.

How to assist others.

Management was professional.

Very diverse, great diversity

The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work with a great professional group of people.
Pros
Same as Elpaso Southern Natural Gas
Cons
Same as Elpaso Southern Natural Gas
Fun there always something to do
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 13, 2017
Great job... the Shreveport Louisiana branch closed down but would love another opportunity to work for them...you get your assignment and you're your own boss
Decent place to work
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 2, 2017
I worked for bluelinx in Frederick md from oct 2014- April 2016 as a driver. My co workers were all fair and willing to help if needed I learned a lot working for bluelinx the pay was decent I made around $20hr. And their benefits were very well your first yr there you get 2 weeks vacation and another week in sick and personal days totaling 3 weeks paid off per year. My supervisor Kevin was very fair and a great guy personally. My day usually started at 5am and last until my load for the day was done. At the time I was worked there my tractor was a 2014 freightliner cascada that was all mine no one else drove it, i took the keys home with me every night. My only issue with bluelinx was my work life balance I had some very long days on a regular basis it was hard to plan life around work. And they kinda get a little carried away with safety. Also the very long waits at deliveries.
Pros
Benefits, newer trucks, occasional breakfast at the IHOP, pay is decent
Cons
Long hours, safety can be a little much, 20 yr old trailers that sometimes just wouldn't cooperate
okay job
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 1, 2017
Theres not much to say about this place the thing that stands out the most is the hours working from 6-2 mon-fri with weekends off. On a typical day its not to bad
Not a good place to work
Driver/ Worker (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 23, 2017
This is a job where you have to be the boss best friend if not it's a horrible job for you because you can't move up and you don't have any say-so over anything.
Pros
Pay ok
Cons
So many but you always in a rush to get stuff off the truck that's all that matters to them.
Crazy
Re Bar Department (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 16, 2017
the co workers there were always complaining about something. the hours were long but with adequate breaks. it was very dirty and lpoud but fun at the same time however you get the sense that most people go there to die.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, VTMay 4, 2017
Good place to work but very hard work. Physically demanding and working in all weather conditions outside. Fairly good pay and benefits. Good vacation and personal time.