Bluemercury, Inc. Employee Reviews

Very poor work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJMarch 22, 2019
Upper management do not care about employees.
No work/life balance
Rarely get raises
Always cutting hours
No growth opportunities whatsoever
Worst job opportunity
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Too many
Absolutely 1 of the worst jobs I’ve ever Had!!!
Esthetician and Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 20, 2019
This place is beyond horrible do NOT work here!!!! Management is absolutely against you even when you’re working open to close alone, have you doing manager duties without compensation, changing rules without telling you until you’ve had violated them, just the absolute worse.
They do nothing to help you succeed but are constantly hounding you about sales and “what you don’t do”. They don’t help promoting new locations and will send you a list of thing YOU need to buy for events and to self promote your location and never reimburse you. This company has absolutely belittled my work ethic while I was working open to close, no manger, and a staff of 3 including myself. They have told me I am not “Bluemercury material” as well they would never hire someone like me. Extremely rude and disgusting I’m surprised if they’ll be able to remain open.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Everything about the company
Run the other way
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2019
Very sketchy management and HR is not on your side.
The rules are changed often without notice and then you are punished.
You rarely get the little 1% commission.
Pros
Gratis
Beautiful Place to work!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 4, 2019
I was hired on at Bluemercury for the grand opening in Greenville, SC which is a charming downtown area, heavy traffic, and alot of loyal customers that shop at other locations along the East Coast. My manager was amazing, and so are the corporate trainers. Training is epic! you get plenty of training, with great beauty brands, and gratutiy samples to take home! unfortunately we didn't stay in South Carolina.
Pros
generous with samples for customers
Cons
I wish I had more time to learn all the great brands.
Good practice
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2019
As I said, my team was great so that was in all honesty the best pro. You get a lot of gratis too (free makeup/skincare). Have lots of fun trainings, and it can be laid back for the most part.

Cons

Way understaffed and expect the sales associate level of work to be manager duties, if theres a maintenance issue don't even expect it to be fixed in a timely manner. Like when the store was without heat in the winter when is -50. No promotion or growth whatsoever, and the turnover rate is outrageous.

Advice to Management

Build a solid team, a better and more functional corporate office staff too. Yes, we are client driven, but give some attention to your employees who have suffered the downfalls of the ignored issues at hand
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Low pay, not enough hours
The absolute absolute WORST
Esthetician/Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 31, 2019
This company is just a band of thieves. I worked part time as an Esthetician. When they hire you they give you a minimum wage ‘guarantee’ so that you are getting paid something for the hours you are working. If you work on clients you are paid on commission. At the end of the week you are either paid minimum wage for your hours or commission for the clients you work on, whichever is greater. Here’s the kicker - IF a client tipped you on a card, they counted that towards the guarantee. So basically your sweet clients, who believe they are tipping you over and above your pay, were actually paying your salary while the company lied and stole from your clients. Absolutely the most unethical practice I’ve ever seen in business. Just a garbage company.
Pros
Zero
Cons
The entire job, atmosphere, management, lack of product availability
Horrible Company Run!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2019
Corporate is a nightmare and it trickles down to store. you get called in and harassed to work on your off days, horrible pay, company does not care about you.
Pros
gratis, decent shift hours
Cons
PTO sucks, no paid sick days, many maintenance issues that they do not address, pay is horrible for amount of work done, working on holidays
Not a good place to work..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I thought this would
Be such a great place to work and grow.. this company needs to look at the people they hire in management. Horrible management. Not a good place to work if you have lots of cosmetic experience, because they are cheap..
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor management, hours were cut
Looking for just Paycheck?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2019
Then this is the place to come. Bluemercury is unorganized, and disappointing. It seems as though upper management and some senior corporate individuals are completely clueless on how to do their jobs. Money is wasted in product stores don't need, tech that doesn't work properly,yet when it comes to scaling back cost the store employee's are the first the feel the cut backs as in hours cut. As long as you don't think about getting promoted, and just focus on getting paid and if you don't care about things making sense you'll fit right in.
Pros
Easy to pick up shifts at other stores, generous discount
Cons
unorganized, incompitent management
Very Stressful/ Unprofessional Company
Makeup Artist / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2019
I’ve worked for this company for two years now and trust me it wasn’t easy. I worked with managers who threaten, manipulated and lied to you just to strike fear in you to do what they say. You had to always make sure you watch your back because at any moment someone could be trying to sabotage you in some way. The company is very odd, they put in and take out new rules and regulations every 5 minutes that people have to just know instantly or else they will be written up. Also, they cut hours as they continue to open up more stores which doesn’t make any sense. The company is so unprofessional it’s ridiculous, employees would fight on the floor, cry, etc. This was the worst company I have ever worked for but what I enjoyed was learning about different brands, the discount & gratis. I can honestly say this company helped me find my passion in life which I am appreciative for, and I would have loved to stay but this company put me through so much there was no way I could continue.
Pros
Gratis, discounts
Cons
Breaks, hours, unprofessional
Horrible chicago management
BEAUTY EXPERT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Upper management is clueless. No advancement from within. Cheap. Workplace culture is negativity and nonexistent work/life balance. They expect you to be their personal slaves.
Bluemercury
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJ / Millburn NJJanuary 1, 2019
After working for Bluemercury for 1.5 years I am looking for a new challenge, an opportunity and better pay. My expectation were not fulfilled by the company. With my experience am ready to do a job that will adequately compensate me and appreciate my talents.
Needs new corporate structure and Hire seasoned people for management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2018
No professional structure coming from corporate office. It goes by whatever they feel like when they feel like. They change your hours in the same day you work and your schedule can be changed the day of your work. NO advance warning. They hire young young people to be managers of their stores with no background experience in customer or staff background. Their District managers do NOT have background experience in how to run a business or having employee skills. I have never seen such a set up. They cannot keep people in store because the schedules are such a mess. Keep your employees happy and be fair about scheduling. People have lives and familys. This is all about the numbers and its very sad.
Pros
Gratis
Les Miserables
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
In the beginning you think it's great and that they really care but don't be fooled. Your days are spend doing an endless amount of stock and still having customers complain about not having items they want in stock because of a flaw inventory system. You have the higher ups and management who hire people without training them so it's left to the associates to do so. I am mainly speaking about NYC locations in general there are very few good apples in the company and because of management it can reflect on their associates and they have lead their sheep astray.
Pros
Vendor training and gratis
Cons
If its not on the pros list then it's a con
Great products
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJNovember 27, 2018
I was working in Atlantic City for a while but it became too much because KF would ask each employee about other employee. As one of the leaders it is not something she should have done. Digging up dirt about employees is not good.
The location is beautiful although as an employee you don't get much of a discount. The customers do tip quite well so that is a real plus. Lots of turnover and backstabbing. You will learn about the best products in the business so that is a plus.
Pros
Nice samples
Cons
no employee perks
Productive and easy-going spa room in back with all retail up front
Esthetician/Makeup Artist, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 14, 2018
Would come into work and the day would start slow. I did not always have a booking but would still be there to help on the floor with makeup/makeovers and customers looking for skin care and makeup help.
I learned most about other makeup, skincare and hair lines that I wasn't as familiar with before. Discovered tons of makeup "hacks:" along the way.
The hardest part of the job was not knowing what you are going to get on a daily basis. The spa and makeup artists take walk-in appointments and it was usually a big hit or a little miss.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the ladies and men I got to work with; all so welcoming and willing to help (me or customers) with everything they could. Great teamwork environment.
Pros
Gratis gifts and free samples
Cons
Short breaks; slow days
Trash management
KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2018
Management was terrible when you wanted to express how you feel about certain things that were going on in the work place things were handled in a way where when you came into work the next day the whole entire staff knew what you spoke to upper management about which made things very uncomfortable
Pros
gratis
Cons
management
Long hours, low pay
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
Long hours, low pay. worked with an inflexible manager. was pregnant at the time and still had to climb on ladders and was not allowed to sit dow. Open door policy is a haven for mosquitoes in the summer. Felt embraced swatting mosquitoes off my clients. it definitely had a negative impact on the client experience.
Not great place to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYOctober 26, 2018
needs better inventory
disrespectful bosses and company is selective and treats select favorites well and provide them with promotions even if they are not well deserved
not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 14, 2018
There were reviews weekly, no real reason to want to move up as they have very poor upper management.
It was a very negative environment and too much pressure to sell there own brand.
Pros
discount
Cons
too many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluemercury, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight