Bluemercury, Inc. Employee Reviews

Les Miserables
Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
In the beginning you think it's great and that they really care but don't be fooled. Your days are spend doing an endless amount of stock and still having customers complain about not having items they want in stock because of a flaw inventory system. You have the higher ups and management who hire people without training them so it's left to the associates to do so. I am mainly speaking about NYC locations in general there are very few good apples in the company and because of management it can reflect on their associates and they have lead their sheep astray.
Pros
Vendor training and gratis
Cons
If its not on the pros list then it's a con
Great products
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJNovember 27, 2018
I was working in Atlantic City for a while but it became too much because KF would ask each employee about other employee. As one of the leaders it is not something she should have done. Digging up dirt about employees is not good.
The location is beautiful although as an employee you don't get much of a discount. The customers do tip quite well so that is a real plus. Lots of turnover and backstabbing. You will learn about the best products in the business so that is a plus.
Pros
Nice samples
Cons
no employee perks
Productive and easy-going spa room in back with all retail up front
Esthetician/Makeup Artist, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 14, 2018
Would come into work and the day would start slow. I did not always have a booking but would still be there to help on the floor with makeup/makeovers and customers looking for skin care and makeup help.
I learned most about other makeup, skincare and hair lines that I wasn't as familiar with before. Discovered tons of makeup "hacks:" along the way.
The hardest part of the job was not knowing what you are going to get on a daily basis. The spa and makeup artists take walk-in appointments and it was usually a big hit or a little miss.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the ladies and men I got to work with; all so welcoming and willing to help (me or customers) with everything they could. Great teamwork environment.
Pros
Gratis gifts and free samples
Cons
Short breaks; slow days
Trash management
KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2018
Management was terrible when you wanted to express how you feel about certain things that were going on in the work place things were handled in a way where when you came into work the next day the whole entire staff knew what you spoke to upper management about which made things very uncomfortable
Pros
gratis
Cons
management
Long hours, low pay
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
Long hours, low pay. worked with an inflexible manager. was pregnant at the time and still had to climb on ladders and was not allowed to sit dow. Open door policy is a haven for mosquitoes in the summer. Felt embraced swatting mosquitoes off my clients. it definitely had a negative impact on the client experience.
Not great place to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYOctober 26, 2018
needs better inventory
disrespectful bosses and company is selective and treats select favorites well and provide them with promotions even if they are not well deserved
not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 14, 2018
There were reviews weekly, no real reason to want to move up as they have very poor upper management.
It was a very negative environment and too much pressure to sell there own brand.
Pros
discount
Cons
too many
Cheap while taking advantage of
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2018
I worked at Bluemercury and at multiple locations through out D.C. after more than a year at the original location in Georgetown. This location was right up the street from the corporate office, so we worked VERY closely with them on a regular bases. This store was used as the tester store but was also one of their busiest. The culture was horrible within BM because of how they treated their artist. They seek and strongly pursue makeup artists but do not want to pay for the skills and expertise. They lie when interviewing saying that most stores always bonus, which is where your extra pay comes in. Well... let me say that I worked at 3 locations over a span of 3.5 years and I made a bonus ONLY 4 times, even though I sold over $500,000 in one year. They make it impossible for a store to bonus with their goal structure. They run through estheticians because of the lack of business or support, which makes it impossible for the store to succeed.
Pros
Experience and training from other brands
Cons
Pay, Room for growth, Bonus structure, Lack of respect for skills
Excellent place to perfect multitasking
store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Work was always busy from start to finish as a manager. It is essential for the business to ensure that the store is ready to start the day as doors open. Need to do a walk through to make sure store is filled with merchandise to sell as well as all tools needed (ex. tissues, bags, alcohol, receipt paper, spa organization, etc.). Each store is unique to the neighborhood it is in. The clients are regulars and understand the company culture as being inviting and staff being knowledgeable. The constant learning opportunities with the brands and being able to experience the products was always fun because then you are able to easily speak to the products with clients. Everyone takes part in shipments as it is a team effort. That could sometimes be a challenge if someone checked in anything incorrectly. That was possibly the toughest part. It was a great experience to be able to learn all aspects of the business from soup to nuts, as management encouraged us to make the business our own, within company policy. I can honestly say, it was an excellent experience.
Pros
product knowledge, fun environment, tight community
Cons
expensive insurance
Bad Management And Company Ethics
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 12, 2018
The company protects their own. I experienced very poor management while working at Bluemercury. Working in a hostile environment, not getting along with coworkers, management would not get involved until things blew up. The company protects their own (management), and there is no anonymous ethics line you can call that is ever visible to the employee to give their grievances. And even if there was, this company is like the mob when it comes to protecting their managers, they would rather fire everyone in the store and hire all new ones than to investigate the issues and get involved. These managers are not leaders, and they do not provide leadership. There are never no awards, recognition of the things you do for the store or company. There are never no encouragement or ways to build you up. That's never going to happen. The company doesn't value their employees, and doesn't care about their employees. Period. Work life balance is horrible. You'll be working many hours so forget about having a family working this job. Just swipe left and run for the hills. There are better companies that will value your expertise.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Management, work life balance, unethical, hostile work environment
More cons then pros
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  VaAugust 30, 2018
Great gratis and if you get a good team it makes it better. Great clients most of the time. Upper management is awful. They could care less about the employees even though they are so client focused. Constantly working 11 hour shift or by myself for most of the day.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Healthcare sucks scheduling management
Its Macys
Skin Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 17, 2018
I've noticed the locations on the east coast are better ran but west coast it's such a toss up. It's nice because it's not commission based but it's made very clear that your job is on the line if you don't make goal, which is especially hard if you just don't have the customer base or volume nor do they bother to stock your store with high selling products (we sat out of stock on most best sellers for months while other stores would get healthy supplies, our poor customers leave frustrated and end up going elsewhere). Management is hostile with no room to grow and no coaching. They just expect you to know without proper training. I've noticed this with upper management as well (manager/district manager). There is also no room for creativity. They want you to stick to their seemingly approved business model, meaning: merchandising how they tell you, sell what they tell you. So it's really no different than Macy's or Nordstrom. I enjoyed my coworkers but they are equally as unhappy. Constant negative environment with hostile management (think talking down, being treated like your inept, but can't be bothered to coach or say what they expect of you. You gotta figure it out on your own) and there is such a poor work life balance. Saturday's can never be requested off unless your sick, vacation doesn't get approved unless it's more than three months out, it's mandatory to work Christmas Eve, plus our location was extremely under staffed where you'd be manning the store alone which left us susceptible to theft, plus there was no coverage if there was an emergency. I hear east coast  more... stores are better run with a fun atmosphere.  less
Pros
Decent pay, nice coworkers
Cons
No work life balance, hostile upper management, location ran/managed poorly
Not a progressive company and poor mangement
Beauty Expert (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 13, 2018
Its not a hard job and most of the time is enjoyable. Upper management is absolutely horrific. If your're looking to advance with this company, head for the hills. They will promise you one thing, and it won't happen.
I work with an awesome group of people, so workplace culture is good, but also incredibly unfair. Management plays favorites and not everyone is treated fairly.
Pros
discount
Cons
awful pto program, hours, inventory, management
I am not satisfied with the company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAAugust 2, 2018
This company is not the right place for my talent at this point. There is no room for growth. I have learned many things from my DM . There are no current positions open in the area that I had interviewed for.
Pros
gratis
Cons
working holidays
WOMEN Hating on WOMEN only one store on the eastern sea board had a decent team
Pt (Former Employee) –  NowhereJuly 24, 2018
Worst company to work for ironically run by a woman for women bordering on sexist-. I left and ran into customers who relayed shocking info about the employees. Ridiculous drama for women who enjoy that type of behavior. Warning Swipe left and keep looking for a different company!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Ridiculous drama filled management team
poor work environment
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
bathroom never worked, no break room, no reward for achievement, no full time stock person, sales people forced to stock and unpack product.
constantly having to check inventory levels from corporate, no support from corporate. terrible regional managers.
Bad experience
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 2, 2018
Poor management including in store, regional, district, human resource. They will do anything to protect managers. Poor management training add well..
Pros
Discount and gratis
Cons
Poor leadership and care for employees
Best experience working for Bluemercury
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJune 14, 2018
Well, Bluemercury has a lot of bad reviews. In all fairness, this company isn’t bad. I’ve had a great experience! I mean think about it this way, if you were the ownber of this company wouldn’t you filter out LAZY PEOPLE, PROBLEMATIC AND VERY AGGRESSIVE/UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIORS? I think we ALL know the answer to this.ABSOLUTELY!!! At the end of the day we’re trying to run a business and we all know that ALL retailers filter out the unproductive LAZY employees. Not just Bluemercury. The people who have left bad reviews, most likely got filtered out and are enraged “with the company” instead of themselves! I love the upper management, EVERYONE HAS BEEN A DREAM TO WORK WITH.....that’s all.
Pros
Bonus, gratis, salary, great health plans, professional upper management.
working at bluemercury
Beauty Consultant/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AZJune 11, 2018
Management needs help. Very unorganized, and lack of knowledge from management. employees are disregarded. Company is not open to new ideas from employees
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Management and lack organization
So inconsistent....
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 27, 2018
In my 20 yrs of working in this industry I tell you I have never seen such unorganized corporation. I’ve worked with some unstable supervisors, upper management but this company takes the Oscar! Aside by being run by MACYS (which that says a lot on its own) it hasn’t been a year for me and already our hours have been cut 2x from 37-39 to 35 (which by the way changed in just one week to 30)! You know why, all do to lack of sales. Well whoever was the genius to open so many stores at one time ‘HELLO’ pay attention to the ones you have that are having trouble and close the ones ‘one’ that is not producing AT ALL (hint hint Coral Gables)! As other reviews on here yes the ‘goals’ that they set us at GOODNESS GRACIOUS BE REALISTIC! I’m sorry has anyone stop and ask why so many of us is leaving the company?! I’ve hesitated on leaving myself. What keeps me from not doing so is my DM & Manager I truly not only enjoy but respect working for them!
Pros
Great products high & low end, Gratis, Training (if you get it like I did)
Cons
Hours are unstable, Upper Management (RM), Employees quiting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluemercury, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight