Bluemercury, Inc. Employee Reviews

poor work environment
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
bathroom never worked, no break room, no reward for achievement, no full time stock person, sales people forced to stock and unpack product.
constantly having to check inventory levels from corporate, no support from corporate. terrible regional managers.
Bad experience
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 2, 2018
Poor management including in store, regional, district, human resource. They will do anything to protect managers. Poor management training add well..
Pros
Discount and gratis
Cons
Poor leadership and care for employees
Best experience working for Bluemercury
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJune 14, 2018
Well, Bluemercury has a lot of bad reviews. In all fairness, this company isn’t bad. I’ve had a great experience! I mean think about it this way, if you were the ownber of this company wouldn’t you filter out LAZY PEOPLE, PROBLEMATIC AND VERY AGGRESSIVE/UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIORS? I think we ALL know the answer to this.ABSOLUTELY!!! At the end of the day we’re trying to run a business and we all know that ALL retailers filter out the unproductive LAZY employees. Not just Bluemercury. The people who have left bad reviews, most likely got filtered out and are enraged “with the company” instead of themselves! I love the upper management, EVERYONE HAS BEEN A DREAM TO WORK WITH.....that’s all.
Pros
Bonus, gratis, salary, great health plans, professional upper management.
working at bluemercury
Beauty Consultant/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AZJune 11, 2018
Management needs help. Very unorganized, and lack of knowledge from management. employees are disregarded. Company is not open to new ideas from employees
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Management and lack organization
So inconsistent....
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 27, 2018
In my 20 yrs of working in this industry I tell you I have never seen such unorganized corporation. I’ve worked with some unstable supervisors, upper management but this company takes the Oscar! Aside by being run by MACYS (which that says a lot on its own) it hasn’t been a year for me and already our hours have been cut 2x from 37-39 to 35 (which by the way changed in just one week to 30)! You know why, all do to lack of sales. Well whoever was the genius to open so many stores at one time ‘HELLO’ pay attention to the ones you have that are having trouble and close the ones ‘one’ that is not producing AT ALL (hint hint Coral Gables)! As other reviews on here yes the ‘goals’ that they set us at GOODNESS GRACIOUS BE REALISTIC! I’m sorry has anyone stop and ask why so many of us is leaving the company?! I’ve hesitated on leaving myself. What keeps me from not doing so is my DM & Manager I truly not only enjoy but respect working for them!
Pros
Great products high & low end, Gratis, Training (if you get it like I did)
Cons
Hours are unstable, Upper Management (RM), Employees quiting
I was initially attracted by the convenient hours of 9:30-7, which is great for retail environment.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTMay 22, 2018
Although the hours are pretty reasonable for retail. There is inconsistency in management. Everyone seems over worked and stressed. Corporate offices are unorganized. Policies do not work for the people. Benefits are expensive, and the ability to grow is based only on popularity not experience.
Pros
Gratis, hours
Cons
Poor upper management, awful benefits
Not the worst in beauty
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
But they do not promote. They do not nurture existing employees. I have seen ageism, racism. Also worthy people not get attention because they may be over weight or less physically attractive.
Pros
Gratis. Easy sales job
Cons
No promotion
Micromanaged
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
The team was micromanaged and the principal of Bluemercury was not represented when certain line had priorities over others. Loved my team but store has no concrete rule or protocols.
Great atmosphere to work in.
Sales, Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2018
Store hours are great. But the pay and hours given are not fair. We rank number 1 in our district. We make our monthly goals. But we still got our hours cut.
Easy to run - Produxts sell themselves
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLApril 24, 2018
Easy job no supervision. Make your own rules as you go along. Free testers , clients buy because they know name - sometimes is dead but still people can buy with gwp.
30% discount but you get so many testers from vendors
In short, their corporate and upper management setup is a hot mess! The disconnect between stores and upper management could not be further apart.
Constantly out of stock of cleaning materials/supplies for store and spa, which is then to be purchased by store manager out of their own money(to be reimbursed months later). Expected to spend $20-40 out of pocket for “homegrown events” every weekend of the month. More concerned with selling proprietary brands than other high-ticket merchandise. Will get in trouble for not making these outrageous goals even if total store goal is met. Bonus stucture is a joke. Goals are unreachable , especially for a new store with not true gauge on their business.

HEALTH INSURANCE IS TOO EXPENSIVE !!
Pros
NO supervision - free testers- best hours
Cons
Should pay more for area, expensive health insurance, Macy’s own us
It could have been more productive if the management gave the employees a little bit of positive support.
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 22, 2018
Day started with co-workers taking care of the job and customers, my co workers were very knowledgeable, fun and friendly everybody tried to do more than their best to get the job done until the top managements called, that usually came 2 or 3 times a week and ruined the mood and everything else. .
Pros
Great co-workers, very knowledgeable and helpful and friendly.
Cons
Negative environment, Rude management, low salary
Good experience
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2018
Working for bluemercury was a great experience. I learned a lot about many different skincare lines. I also learned how to run a business as if it were my own.
Pros
gratis
Cons
avg pay
Good products.
Assisting clients (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
Great products but very poor management. I am a mother of three children, 6, 12, & 14, and also teach spinning classes. I wanted a part-time job and was thrilled when I got hired. However, I am given shifts that start at 4:00 or 5:00pm and getting home at 9:00. That is a bad fit for my children.
Pros
Products
Cons
Horrible shifts.
Loved it until recently
Beauty Expert/ Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 9, 2018
I'm a part-timer here and I constantly had 20-30 hours a week in which I thank my manager for since she never hired a second part-timer so that I get all the hours. But now the company has cut a lot of hours nationwide and I'm left with 5-10 hours a week. All the hours go to the full-timers first and then what's left to the part-timers. Part-timers barely get any benefits, we can only receive dental and vision insurance. There is no health insurance and no paid vacations for part-timers but the full-timers receive it. No one gets paid time off unless a natural disaster occurs. It is very inconsiderate for the company to cut this many hours and it's affecting everyone. They are growing so rapidly and can afford their employees at the hours we use to have which were fair and consistent. On the other hand, there is advancement but only if you are willing to move to where new stores are opening. The stores have a boutique feel to them so there aren't that many around unless you live in a big city like NY. Other than that I was so happy there because we have amazing clients and my co-workers, manager and district manager are such great people! I love beauty and skincare and this was perfect but now I feel like the company is going downhill.
Productive place to work
SALES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2018
great company to work for.. The fun part of this job is when we plan events for each vendor. We chose themes and invite clients to join us for the weekend. we as beauty adviser cultivate friendships with our clients..
Pros
flexable schedule
Fun as long as you have the right team and right manager
Esthetician & Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 2, 2018
Started out kind of rocky but once we had the right team assembled we were like a well-oiled machine, It was fun to come to work and everyone got along. For the most part. First DM was amazing but we ended-up with a second one and let me tell you, she was awful. The worst. So nit picky and looked like a hot mess every time she showed up, stank like cigarettes and didn't hardly wear makeup or wash her face. Because that's professional, right? Thankfully my store manager was an absolute blessing and the best manager I could ask for. Besides some petty drama here and there, I had a lot of fun, learned a lot, and networked!
worst place ever
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2018
it is basically the worst company ever to work for I would never suggest friends nor clients to work or shop there. the turnover is ridiculous and the management is the absolute worst.
A great place
Makeup Artist and Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
A great place to get knowledge about brands and clean skin care . Finally staff nice vendors sometimes cool contests . Overall a very relaxing environment during the holiday can be tough but other than that it’s fine
Cons
Schedule/ no weekend off
Don’t waste your time with this company
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 22, 2018
Good discount & great training on products plus decent health care but this is a horrible company to work for !!! Don’t waste your time Everyone in HR is incompetent they take breaks for weeks at a time without coverage so if you have a question it goes unanswered until they return and things change one day to the next so nobody can give you a straight answer when you have a question or issue !! also you don’t get any paid holidays and the “vacation time “ is a joke if your sick or god forbid you have a family and you need to call out you must use your vacation days if you need a Saturday off you have to use your vacation time as well the pay isn’t bad but could be higher for experienced people but with the 30 hours they offer as full time work they might as well pay minimum wage !! they don’t value their employees AT ALL you get no portion of makeup services you get to keep tips however you only get 1% of your sales if the store makes it’s goal if not you get NOTHING The only thing that makes this place worth coming to is my amazing store manager and coworkers
Pros
Great locations, product discount, affordable health insurance
Cons
Everything !!
Bad Business
Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 12, 2018
Very unprofessional company. The Regional Manager & District Manager in PA & NJ regions are by far the worst group of woman to work for. When hired they promise you a bonus every month but fail to tell you that they set each stores goals so high that the goals are unobtainable this way the company doesnt have to reward you for the sales you make. Thirty hours is considered fulltime they wont allow you to work forty hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluemercury, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

2.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight