Blueprint Schools Network Employee Reviews

My Experience at Blueprint + Advice
Math Fellow (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 31, 2018
I highly recommend working at Blueprint Schools Network (especially if you've been told you'd be a "good" teacher but are hesitating to enroll in a credentialing program). You will receive feedback on your work, it's the one thing I particularly loved about working at Blueprint. Blueprint values its employees, they know the work is hard and they do their best to provide Fellows with the things we need to get our jobs done. Blueprint makes it easy for Fellows to collaborate and establish support groups (this is especially important for out-of-state Fellows) during events or meetings. My cohort was relatively diverse and well-educated, we hung out outside of work as well. You get a little of everything: individual work and group work. My first school team was strong and we helped each other out quite a bit. I started out the school year with 2 other Fellows but ended up with 1. At my second school site, I worked with 4 other members.

Teaching is hard work (if you didn't know, now you know). I don't recommend you taking this position if you're not willing to put in the work. The work environment is what YOU make it. I worked at two school sites during my time here and both were different. You will work an average of 8-10 hours a day (Monday - Friday). You get some holidays off, others are spent at PDs (professional development meetings). If you use your time wisely, you should have a free weekend. Depending on the school site, you'll get time to plan and prep during the school day (use it!). The lessons are predetermined and planned, you just teach! (You can modify lessons,
  more... there's flexibility too!)

In response to a previous review, hostility happens when you force things on kids and expect them to happen just because you're the adult in the room. I don't recommend this job to people who think a teacher-student dynamic is strictly "I'm the teacher, you have to listen to me". This job is about learning as well as teaching. You will learn new math strategies and cool tricks, but you'll also learn a lesson or two in humility and patience from your students. The relationships with your students are really important in a Blueprint classroom because there's a small number of them. Here's a few things you can do once you've been assigned a school site: research where you're teaching, ask questions about the community you're serving in and make the effort to get to know your kids. Middle school is rough, especially in Oakland. You will be tested but treat students with tough love. Take a crash course on restorative justice. Talk to the RJ coordinators at your school site. It matters.

Financially speaking... Let's face it: living in the Bay Area is expensive. The stipend Blueprint provides is just enough for someone who is modestly living in Oakland (I paid about $600 for rent, but I was incredibly lucky). I heard the stipend is increasing for the new school year but I recommend getting a part-time job over the weekend (which is what some Fellows did while I was working here). That being said, this fellowship can provide you with great professional connections. I was offered a couple of teaching positions after completing my service (I don't have a background or formal training in education either).
Pros
Experience (planning, teaching, restorative justice).... Constant feedback (in the classroom).... Relationships (fellows, students, community)
Cons
Stipend (doable but it could be better).... Diversity (fellows were primarily Caucasian, they need more POCs)
A good learning experience
Fellows Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 23, 2017
This position allowed me to grow and develop my management skills. I learned about hiring and training employees and how large school districts operate.
Pros
Development
Cons
leadership
Management sucks!!
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILOctober 18, 2017
I have been with the company for 3 years now and the cycling of people is like on a monthly basis. Not a good long term company to be with....very stressful and demanding. The supervising team is not experienced in their jobs at all. I would recommend this job if you want to work with kids and make a difference but not something you should do forever. My supervisors were cold and unwelcoming people which made it very hard to work with up until I left. For the little pay you receive and high demand they expect from you it is just not worth the stress!!
Pros
Helping kids learn
Cons
Rude management, hard work, stressful environment, little pay
Not worth your time
Math Fellow/Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 22, 2016
If you want to be a teacher go to school for it, this job is excess work with negative pay. The expectations are ridiculous, but the students are great!
Pros
Expanding the minds of youth
Cons
Constant critism, daily meetings, excess emails, 60+ hours work weeks, nonlivable wage
Great experience and learning environment
MATH FELLOW (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 22, 2016
Blueprint is a great opportunity to learn and grow professionally. They are with you step by step and continually observe your work ethics to helps you become a stronger teacher and more effective.
Pros
Great hours, salary
Cons
work/life balance
Great opportunity for a year of service, or to "get your feet wet" in Education if considering a career change.
AmeriCorps Program Associate/Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 15, 2015
I was a multiyear Fellow, and had an extremely positive experience overall. I was attempting to make a significant career change to Education, and was fortunate to find Blueprint and the Math Fellows Program in St. Louis. Working in small group tutorial sessions where I was teaching a structured, gradual release lesson everyday was a tremendous learning experience in terms of understanding what it takes to be an effective teacher on a daily basis. There were reasonable planning and preparation expectations -- I never felt overwhelmed by the amount of work necessary to be an effective Fellow. It was all very informative and great training/practice for me as I worked towards earning my certification to teach High School Math. I think it's also important to highlight the level of support I had from my Coordinator, and the program in general.
Pros
On-going training and professional development, provide improved educational opportunities to at-risk youth, great co-workers, great experience if you're at all interested in education
Good for Short Term - Overall it's "okay"
MATH FELLOW (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 23, 2015
Blueprint provides free healthcare, but it's extra if you have other family members. We were held to the standards of the teachers although we were paid significantly less. Meaning that we created lesson plans, assessments and behavior plans for our students. The Site Coordinators "do" that but oftentimes don't know the students well enough to execute their plans. They also used a form of technology to assess students that didn't accurately assess learning, meaning the fellows were blamed if a student's score decreased. Although the fellows were the foundation of the company, we weren't always treated as such. There were many times our opinions on how to handle student issues were ignored and our plan times were cut to be more "efficient". Overall, this non-profit is good if you want to learn a great deal about public school districts. But they're not exactly the type of non-profit you'd want to stay at for longer than a school year.
Pros
Ability to learn alot, gateway to become a teacher
Cons
Short breaks, management isn't very supportive, poor technology
Excellent Model for Intervention
Math Fellows Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 27, 2015
Blueprint has a phenomenal model for intervention. It also has the capacity to foster development of Fellows into educational careers. the support that Blueprint offers as a reflective organization is unmatched.
Supervisors and Organization
Mathematics Fellow Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 22, 2014
The non-profit has a great idea for helping inner city students with improving math gaps but they have not organized it in a way to make it successful unless you implement the complete reform model. I was part of just the math tutoring program and it was not well organized. Information was not passed on correctly and most of the time I just did not know what was expected of me as a coordinator. The most enjoyable part was working with students and my co-workers. The hardest part was working with leadership to get the support I needed to do my job successfully.
Love what you do, just not how
Math Fellow (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 30, 2014
I love working with my students at Blueprint.

My management and bosses, however- are disorganized, frequently fail to complete their job obligations (and then fault the Fellows for those short-comings), and create a negative work culture (which isn't the worst thing when you aren't spending 50-60 hours a week teaching in a difficult environment for little pay or reward).

For people with backgrounds in education, they frequently don't give clear instructions or expectations-though it's expected that we provide these things for students.

I honestly love my job-but my supervisors and the work culture make it difficult to get through a week.
Pros
great benefits, feel-good work
Cons
disorganized, negative culture, low pay, hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blueprint Schools Network. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9