BlueScope Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressful
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 17, 2018
A typical day at work is physically draining. I learned not to trust coworkers here. The lead-man were very discouraging often saying things to the new hires like "You're pathetic", "I can break a rule or two because I'm a boss. "The workplace is very gossipy. There is more drama in the workplace than in a Tyler Perry special. The hardest part of the job is dealing with slander from employees close to the higher ups.The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid every week and leaving every day.
Stuck in the past
moving to shipping clerk, logistics coordinator (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 14, 2018
The company was stuck in the past and not willing to upgrade to simplify the process.
Supervisors were not held accountable and did not know the jobs they were supervising.
safety first
Press Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAMarch 10, 2018
huge safety first program here. positive work environment full of strong productive employees. hard to get hired on with the temp to perm program but i great company. owner is a great leader
Productive, friendly and motivating enviroment place to work.
Welder / Machinist / Web Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCMarch 6, 2018
My work experience at Bluescope has been a great learning and motivating time of employment for me. I've been employed with Bluescope for over 20 years as a welder, machine operator, line leadman as well as other various jobs I have done. The team work of employees coming together to accomplish company goals was great. I enjoyed my time working for Bluescope this organization has taught me a lot. As I proceed to move forward to my next career I will bring with me the knowledge and training that I acquired while working for Bluescope.
Fast paced
Plasma Operator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, WIMarch 1, 2018
Fast paced but stressful. If you dont hit goals, termination is an option. Lots of saturdays to work between April and December seeing as its a construction related business. Fair pay. Insurance could be better.
Good company, Poor staff
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, WIFebruary 24, 2018
The work was interesting and challenging. The condition of the plant and machinery was very poor. The culture in the plant was difficult do to the indecision of the management staff. Blue Scope Steel is a good company to work for. The staff in Wisconsin needs to be more decisive and open to suggestion. They could also use a bit of humility.
Pros
The work and parent company
Cons
Current staff
Butler MFG (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCFebruary 20, 2018
Work was good at Bluescope, loved the people I worked with and the people I worked for. I learned a lot with the company like welding and running machines that welds and punches hole into metal and cuts. The management was good and really professional. The culture was good also and everybody was trained well and knew what they was doing on the job. Nothing to me was hard about the job except the plant closing down and we all lost our jobs.I loved what I did. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the people and management we was like family.
dirty place but good pay
Painter (Current Employee) –  Evansville, WIFebruary 7, 2018
it's a dirty place but union so the pay is good. it's benefits are pretty standard for everywhere else in the rock county area. winter is a slow time for production
Spend a lot of time tracking down who to talk to about issues. No real training for success.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 1, 2018
Unfortunately, the company was “click-ish”...the work wasn’t difficult, just not well organized.
Seemed to be many silos at this company.
Leadership lacked direction.
Pros
Cafeteria on site.
Cons
New hire training.
tough place to work for
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Evansville, WIJanuary 21, 2018
No work life balance. All vacation days must be be approved by the plant super and they wont let you use vacation if they want production. The Union is ok but is totally seniority based so if you want anything, you better have been there for a long time.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else

Want to know more about BlueScope?

Ask a question
Long working hours
Engineering Manager, PE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2018
Typical day at work is working long hours, attending meetings, reading emails. I learned how to do budget, set up goals for the group, analyze business.
Summary
Fabricator/Welder (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MODecember 9, 2017
Enjoyed working here. Work life balance is good. Management is acceptable. Fast and continuous pace which is good. Learned a lot from working at this employer.
CERTIFIED FIELD WELDER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 20, 2017
This was a great place to work if you don't mind traveling. The management is fair and respectful and pay is equal to experience. I enjoyed my time with this company and would go back if I decided to travel again.
Great opportunity for someone who is focused.
Ironworker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 5, 2017
Management cares about employees and pay is good and full range of benefits. They provide lots of training. There is room for advancement. Almost all leadership positions are filled from within the company.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Amount of hours vary based on job schedule
Easy going
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOOctober 20, 2017
I learned how to do safety audits and maintain files. Learned proper safety attire when entering the warehouse and keeping stock of the safety closet.
Safety oriented, fun workplace
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCOctober 18, 2017
Bluescope Buildings was my first career in welding. The company is safety oriented, big in diversity, and successful in quality work. Due to company closure I am now looking for another welding job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Facility shutdown
Productive and fun workplace. Love the atmosphere and the people including management.
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCOctober 5, 2017
I would love to stay here with this company but due to business decisions they are closing the facility which is why I’m seeking for employment. They offer relocation packages with the company but I’m not willing to relocate to another state.
Blue Scope
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 4, 2017
Great company to work for. Have opportunities for advancement if you work hard. Travel across the United States for different jobs, moving a few times each year.
Safety is #1
PC/IC SPECIALLIST\ENVIRONMENTAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCSeptember 19, 2017
BlueScope is a very safety driven company that has very good wages and comprehensive health care packages for it's employees. This company gives opportunity to all it's employees to advance and grow in the company.
Competitive but Work/Life Balance
Vice President, Coated Steel Business (Former Employee) –  VietnamSeptember 5, 2017
I would highly recommend BlueScope to any friends who want to work here.
It is a competitive environment that requires you have to work hard and innovative to serve your customers. However, you can also find time to balance your life as your performance is measured first by the outcomes, then by the total process how you were doing it, not just amount of time you put on it.