BlueScope Employee Reviews

Awesome.
Steal walker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 10, 2019
I loved working for bluescope construction thai was such a life changing event for me. Through this company I learned things about construction that I never new I could do before. I got a major thrill from being up on the beams.
Pros
Awesome.
Cons
Excellent place to work with many benefits
Forklift driver, Material handler (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNNovember 24, 2018
Would recommend to a friend or family member. Favoritism going on at Bluescope but it is nothing that cannot be overcome. Strong work ethic involved
Pros
Pay and incentives
Cons
Organization
There were good times and bad times at BlueScope but I was proud to be working there and did my best
Butler Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCNovember 19, 2018
Excellent company to work for. My plan was to retire from there but the plant closed. I would love to work for them again, I was offered a job at another plant but could not take it at the time.
Poor management
CNC Plasma Operator (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 3, 2018
Poor managment.pride themselves on safety but really only care about production. Love to give write ups for every possible thing..........................
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours no recognition
Too big?
Manager (Former Employee) –  Annville, PAOctober 23, 2018
I learned so much about manufacturing and Blue Scope did provide so many opportunities.
The pay and benefits are higher than those in area but the schedule and hours can be long - so not so good work-life-balance.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with coworkers that felt entitled because of the rampant nepotism and a management staff unwilling to confront it. At some point, a company becomes so large that in it's effort not to discriminate against anyone they end up discriminating against everyone.
Pros
Compensation, Benifits, Oportunities
Cons
work-life-balance, culture
Good work place well management
Skilled Labor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 11, 2018
With my pass experience this job is for me. Friend staff on time workmen ship work always available with on time at knowledgement. My experience was a well one an I plan to continue my career
Pros
Free lunch
safety driven
Crane Operator/ Panel Loader (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 4, 2018
Bluescope is a great place to work. they have decent bennifits, a good and diverse cultural environment and good training and advancement opportunities. Safety takes top priority here. The hardest part of the job is the long hours that come with the busy season.
Pros
community and family oriented
Cons
long hours when busy but also times where very slow and hours lost
Work intensive
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJuly 26, 2018
Work intensive
production based culture
the hardest part is balancing the meetings to the required work load and managing time that is needed.
The people are fun individuals, and interact away from work.
I would recommend
Construction Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 2, 2018
Stable work environment and they prefer to promote from within. Not the most dynamic benefits package but not a negative. Very conservative organization.
Stressful
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 17, 2018
A typical day at work is physically draining. I learned not to trust coworkers here. The lead-man were very discouraging often saying things to the new hires like "You're pathetic", "I can break a rule or two because I'm a boss. "The workplace is very gossipy. There is more drama in the workplace than in a Tyler Perry special. The hardest part of the job is dealing with slander from employees close to the higher ups.The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid every week and leaving every day.

Want to know more about BlueScope?

Ask a question
Stuck in the past
moving to shipping clerk, logistics coordinator (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 14, 2018
The company was stuck in the past and not willing to upgrade to simplify the process.
Supervisors were not held accountable and did not know the jobs they were supervising.
safety first
Press Brake Operator (Current Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAMarch 10, 2018
huge safety first program here. positive work environment full of strong productive employees. hard to get hired on with the temp to perm program but i great company. owner is a great leader
Productive, friendly and motivating enviroment place to work.
Welder / Machinist / Web Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCMarch 6, 2018
My work experience at Bluescope has been a great learning and motivating time of employment for me. I've been employed with Bluescope for over 20 years as a welder, machine operator, line leadman as well as other various jobs I have done. The team work of employees coming together to accomplish company goals was great. I enjoyed my time working for Bluescope this organization has taught me a lot. As I proceed to move forward to my next career I will bring with me the knowledge and training that I acquired while working for Bluescope.
Fast paced
Plasma Operator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, WIMarch 1, 2018
Fast paced but stressful. If you dont hit goals, termination is an option. Lots of saturdays to work between April and December seeing as its a construction related business. Fair pay. Insurance could be better.
Good company, Poor staff
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, WIFebruary 24, 2018
The work was interesting and challenging. The condition of the plant and machinery was very poor. The culture in the plant was difficult do to the indecision of the management staff. Blue Scope Steel is a good company to work for. The staff in Wisconsin needs to be more decisive and open to suggestion. They could also use a bit of humility.
Pros
The work and parent company
Cons
Current staff
Butler MFG (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCFebruary 20, 2018
Work was good at Bluescope, loved the people I worked with and the people I worked for. I learned a lot with the company like welding and running machines that welds and punches hole into metal and cuts. The management was good and really professional. The culture was good also and everybody was trained well and knew what they was doing on the job. Nothing to me was hard about the job except the plant closing down and we all lost our jobs.I loved what I did. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the people and management we was like family.
dirty place but good pay
Painter (Current Employee) –  Evansville, WIFebruary 7, 2018
it's a dirty place but union so the pay is good. it's benefits are pretty standard for everywhere else in the rock county area. winter is a slow time for production
Spend a lot of time tracking down who to talk to about issues. No real training for success.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 1, 2018
Unfortunately, the company was “click-ish”...the work wasn’t difficult, just not well organized.
Seemed to be many silos at this company.
Leadership lacked direction.
Pros
Cafeteria on site.
Cons
New hire training.
tough place to work for
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Evansville, WIJanuary 21, 2018
No work life balance. All vacation days must be be approved by the plant super and they wont let you use vacation if they want production. The Union is ok but is totally seniority based so if you want anything, you better have been there for a long time.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Long working hours
Engineering Manager, PE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2018
Typical day at work is working long hours, attending meetings, reading emails. I learned how to do budget, set up goals for the group, analyze business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlueScope. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about