Bluestar Resourcing Employee Reviews

It had a lot of promise but impossible under horrible management
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 2, 2019
This job has all the classic trappings of corporate america. With the added negative of being both a very sexist and racially insensitive environment. The manager, specifically, lacked any and all EQ that came with having women in the workplace. She allowed blatant HR violations to fly while also being very manipulative to keep herself out of trouble. Her general nature makes working in the Philadelphia office something I would never wish on anyone. I believe the firm can really improve through proper training in diversity and inclusion as well as replacing managers who are lacking social skills.
Pros
Office events
Cons
Management, Environment
Great Evironment to work
CORPORATE ACTIONS ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 28, 2018
Alliance Bernstein is a great place to work. Management is so down to earth and help their employees growth at all level within the company. I recommend the company to anyone.
Retirement Ops Associate & NSCC Reject Subject Matter Expert
Retirement Op. Associate/NSCC Reject SME (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 11, 2018
Typically, my morning consists of contacting firms to resolve their NSCC rejected trades. That involves researching each trade to determine why the trade rejected and what resolutions are available for each trade/firm. I would then contact each firm via email or phone call so AB can price protect the trade with our Financial Control department. After all bookings are sent to Financial Control I then begin running audits to ensure new accounts are set up properly and are eligible for proper share class of mutual funds. Other audits include commission/12b1 checks that remain uncashed, pulling commission/12b1 breakdowns, reissuing uncashed check just to name a few.
Has been a great place to work
AO/Senior Payroll Accountant (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 23, 2018
enjoyed the benefit of the option of working from home when needed.
occasional work get togethers were good especially after the completion of a quarter closing.
great place
Account Transitions Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 18, 2018
great place to work i enjoyed going to work every day i worked with great people on a great team it is very unfortunate that they are moving offices to a different state or else i would still be working there.
Freedom to Work Productively
Junior Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I really enjoy working for AB. My current position gives me much freedom to work independently without micromanagement, which does not make for effective work.
Ab
Director/Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Nonesuch Point, MESeptember 4, 2018
I learned a lot while working for AB. They taught me how to be better understanding clients, the capital markets and how to sell. I would rate management like any other wall street firm. No better no worse. I will say the caliber of talent of my peers was second to none.
Pros
You will be compensated for your efforts
Cons
As an LP hard to reinvest back into the firm.
A Good Place to Leave, Forever
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 25, 2018
AllianceBernstein. It's Fortune 500, so you would have a certain level of expectations. But you should know...

The company is very cheap. Not only are most positions contracted out, but they cut departments that are already short-staffed, continuously try to haggle wages lower, and do a lot of sourcing from offshore (Middle East).

The company cannot keep their "talent." The best employees move on to something better. They leave AB for a better work environment, for better pay, and sometimes even for better (useful) experience. Unfortunately, the worst employees are the ones that last. People don't often get fired, and it seems the stupider you are the faster you get promoted.

People are not the nicest or most helpful. Many departments don't want to help their coworkers. My dept. interacts with many teams and they are always quick to refuse support or even offer advice. This brings me to my next point.

Things are always broken and AB doesn't care to fix them. Technically speaking, applications don't work. Period. Errors, disconnections, unexpected software behavior, applications not opening. This is all normal. AB really likes to have offshore developers (and some State-side) create company-specific software, but it just doesn't work. I wonder if this correlates with the company being cheap.

more... times less work.

But I can truly say that if these points don't bother you, and you have substantial patience, and need to build experience, then this is a decent place for you. At least until you find the next opportunity.

... Also, there are free drinks and snacks.
Pros
Free drinks/snacks of a decent variety
Cons
Cheap company, worst employees, broken environment, bad management
Disappointing
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  New YorkAugust 24, 2018
The company very much misses expectations when it comes to promotion/advancement and compensation. Bonuses/Raises are slim to non-existent and promotion/advancement really comes down to who you know or what letters are on your resume as opposed to your achievements, work ethic, who you are as a person...thereby making it a bland, non-confrontational and unrewarding place to work. Lower level management is clueless, micromanaging, and inconsistent with upper management when it comes to workplace culture and expectations.
A Good Place to Leave, Forever
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2018

The company cannot keep their "talent." The best employees move on to something better. They leave AB for a better work environment, for better pay, and sometimes even for better (useful) experience. Unfortunately, the worst employees are the ones that last. People don't often get fired.

Management is a joke. I can only speak for my dept., but the manager is terrible, egotistical, nonconstructive, reclusive, and a liar. AB keeps (him/her) because (he/she) is able to keep the contract cheap. Ironically, the manager gets paid four times as much money to do four times less work.

But I can truly say that if these points
  more... don't bother you, and you have substantial patience, and need to build experience, then this is a decent place for you. At least until you find the next opportunity.

... Also, there are free drinks and snacks.
Pros
Free drinks/snacks of a decent variety
Cons
Cheap company, worst employees, broken environment, bad management
Great Place to work
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
I started as a consultant 3 years ago and I'm now a full-time employee. Senior management offered me the position before I can ask. I felt very appreciated for my experience. I'm very happy with the remote access at home, I can make all my appointments and come back and log in. It's a beautiful thing when your managers trust you and give you that opportunity. I feel that I owe them more and don't mind going above and beyond.
Pros
Remote Work Access
Cons
Traveling into work due to train problems
No room for advancement, lot of false hope.
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2018
Everything that was discussed overtime for the move to Nashville was a ll a lie. They are getting rid of everyone left and right fast, and not promoting within. Hiring new talent in Nashville. That's all I will say.
Good learning experience for highly competitive people
Manager (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 19, 2018
Bernstein was a good experience but I would recommend it for highly competitive people, particularly single twenty-somethings who are able to devote an unlimited amount of time to their career. Their standards are high, and there is not a lot of consideration for a life outside of the office. It was fairly common to hear people express surprise at any colleagues who had the audacity to 'take a lunch hour" or go out for a coffee break. Considerations such as being unable to come into work during a snow storm, or staying home to care for a sick child, were virtually non-existent. It was not uncommon to be held responsible for things that occurred in your department while you were out on leave, or for certain employees to be held to different standards than other employees. And woe to the person who fell out of favor! If they wanted to get rid of you, they would "find" things you'd done wrong, even if they had to go back several years, and even if you'd never been given constructive feedback about those supposed performance issues before. However, their investment process is sound, they do tend to hire good quality people, and I made some of the best friends of my life while working there.
Pros
Competitive, high quality colleagues, good investment process
Cons
No work/life balance, uneven performance management, cutthroat
Solid investment culture
Vice President, Private Wealth Management (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2018
Bernstein prides itself as a leader in research in wealth management. The proprietary nature of the investment platform means the staff and the clients are all Bernstein's. Expectations are high for staff and management support can be uneven. But it engenders a culture of loyalty and pride in the quality of the advice.
Learn what you need to know and leave as fast as you can
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2018
Alliance treats its favored class such as portfolio managers pretty well. Everyone else is just fodder for the machine. If you are marketable you have a chance for some advancement. If you are just a secretary or run of the mill analyst, this firm will treat you as a commodity.
Pros
Good food on 12. Great location for now.
Cons
Poor management. Low morale. Everyone is out for themselves.
Great place to learn but then move on as quickly as you can
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2018
If you are marketable employee such as a portfolio manager or a favored manager you will be treated and compensated well. Otherwise, you will be treated like fodder for the machine. The food is great on 12. The company cheaps out wherever possible. Don't expect anything unless your in the favored class.
Pros
Subsidized lunch. Good location for the building.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, lots of politics, throw away the talent culture
Great place to get asset management experience
Vice President, Institutional Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2018
Great place to get asset management experience; A pure investment manager, unburdened by the volatility of an investment bank. Bernstein culture was harsh but better training than Alliance.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Alliance culture diluted the more superior Bernstein side of the house
Review
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
Managed calendars, e-mails, travel, multiple travel changes, set up luncheons, event planning, client luncheons, client dinners, conferences, Monday morning meetings, personal work, expenses, etc.
Pros
Excellent Company
Cons
Great place to learn and re-start your career
Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 2, 2018
Alliance Bernstein took me on as a temp in November 2013 and has helped me become an expert at pricing on the security level at mutual funds.

Although I had a background in finance and similar experience at the beginning of my career, AB helped mold and focus my desire to assist the team in numerous ways.

With a relaxed but focused atmosphere, and a strong work culture It was easy to grow and develop.
Pros
Full Pantry with fruit/cereal, flexible hours
Cons
Slow promotions and little/no raises
Good environment, very low pay
Vice President, Information Technology (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2018
People don 't work very hard here. Some autonomy but lots of controls. Too much emphasis on "diversity" and other PC nonsense.
They encourage continuing education in IT
Pros
subsidized lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bluestar Resourcing. Our community is ready to answer.