BLUESTONE PROPERTIES Employee Reviews

Extremely Incompetent, Cut-Throat Company
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 19, 2019
I owned and operated my own Property Management business in addition to a FT professional career. I never had unit turn like this company does. Why? Because I treated my tenants like family and not a monthly check. Respect is paramount to exceeding expectations-a concept unnoticed within this company.
In communicating with both a Site Senior Manager and the VP of Maintenance, I found the only common thing shared between that line of management was inhospitable personal attributes. It's no wonder that your staff turns are almost as frequent as unit turns.
Pros
Hourly Supervisor compensation
Cons
No human integrity or values. Profit before people.
unbelievable
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2019
all these companies that look for a maintenance person make me laugh cause first of all since when does being a h.v.a.c tech fall under a maintenance persons duties that a skill plus other types of work they expect you to do at a rate of pay of 15 dollars an hour lmao fyi the economy is not that bad any more so you don.t have people by the u know what,,,, then they pay for very poor management they put people in those positions that have no knowledge in what there doing a lot of companies today hire there family n friends in those positions which is ok only if they know what there doing in which most of the time they don.t ,, what a joke no wonder why this country is falling apart they think cause someone went to college that they are smarter n have more knowledge then someone who has been in the field much longer then them fyi our politicians have college degree's n look how screwed up our country is n now our work force is too so sad aint it
Pros
Cons
they are all co artists
Look elsewhere. Don't fall for the hype.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 30, 2018
As a Property Manager it took me a while to understand their culture of complete autonomy over my own property. It truly fell ALL on my shoulders. EVERY decision was mine to make with no support when I reached out for it. Sometimes you just need a little guidance especially when you are the new employee and there is little to no training on company procedures and policies. I was pushed to terminate employees quickly who did not "fit" the culture. Bluestone claims to have no fear of conflict and that just simply isn't true. If you speak up about what your community really needs and push for it, you are out. They are quick to fire employees instead of invest in them. I think they have a great idea in regards to the "management empowerment" philosophy, however just do not have realistic goals in this highly competitive market. It's a shame they haven't learned their lesson and constantly think it is easier to just replace you. If you apply just keep that in mind. There is no loyalty to you as an employee and everyone is replaceable. I know that is true of any company but they take it to a level I have rarely seen. High turnover is a reality in almost any company as another reviewer wrote and I agree. I just can't imagine placing someone at a multi million dollar asset and not support them to aid them in its success. Bluestone has a reputation for firing at will and without warning. Just look at how often they post a managers position. There are too many good companies out there who will support you, train you on how the company wants certain things done and treat  more... you like the rock star you are!

"Train your people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." Richard Branson
Pros
Good Pay & Benefits
Cons
Poor training, communication and zero loyalty
Good company with great people
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 14, 2018
I really love my onsite Bluestone team, they all come to work ready to get the job done at the best of their abilities. We also have tons of great people in leadership roles and we just rolled out a new company structure that is working beautifully.

I've seen a lot of bad reviews about micromanagement and high turnover and I would like to address that. I've seen the turnover for myself but those people are only leaving because it just wasn't a good fit for them or the company. Every business in every industry has this same problem. As for micromanagement, I too felt micromanaged when I got here until I realized that the redbots & bluebots are there as a safety net to keep us in compliance. If you choose to see it as micromanagement then you are simply missing the point. Don't get me wrong, there are people in every company that actually micromanage their employees and I am sure we have that in our company somewhere but I don't experience this with my superiors.

The no fear of conflict culture is a great idea if everyone would truly believe it and live it every day. The culture can't/won't work if everyone doesn't buy in to the ideas that the culture represents.

I love that everyday is vastly different than the day before and we are always learning and experiencing new things. I also love that as a company we take public constructive criticism and if it's valid we find ways to make positive changes rapidly to remove any obstacles that our teammates may be experiencing. No company is perfect, most are having staffing issues and retention issues because of a competitive
  more... job market which makes the daily operations much harder. However, if you look past the fog and see the big picture you will see what we see. We are a perfectly imperfect group of people with big hearts and big dreams. We're all working toward the same goal to make us the best PMC possible.  less
Pros
Free to run the property as my own
Cons
Insurance benefits aren't the best
It’s a trap
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 23, 2018
Started at Brooklyn Place Apartments in December 2017. Had absolutely no training - was just thrown in. I have years of sales experience but no leasing, so it was a new world to me. Although I did good, was meeting my leasing goals. I felt bad getting residents in though because it really isn’t a great place to live. Extremely behind on maintenance work orders (80+ to be exact). Cooperate really doesn’t care. Long story short, went in to work today and they fired me because I didn’t have much experience??? Yeah. Why did you hire me in the first place then? Upset but I feel as if this is a blessing in disguise.
Pros
Rent discount
Cons
Poor management, long hours, cooperate does not care and will not help you.
Avoid the Bluestone scene they fail at many levels and will lie to get the job done.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 24, 2018
DO NOT WORK FOR BLUESTONE, you will dread the mistake. The corporate management team has no office and all work from home which leaves a property to fail when it gets into "improper" hands. They lie and will talk of transparency which is a joke., have no clue what is actually going on as they sit from their homes. As the masses have stated STAY AWAY!!!
Pros
no one really watches the clock
Cons
being employed by Bluestone
high employee turnover rate
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 8, 2018
high employee turnover rate. upper management does not listen. very difficult time getting approvals for work needing to be done on properties. does not offer competitive salary
The worst job ever
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cordova, TNJuly 26, 2018
The worst company in property management. Dont waste your time you will regret it. They will sweet talk you during the interview and change once you're hired. Everything is computer generated no real person to contact for any reasons at corporate. This company is a real joke and only has two properties in the city and they are Villas at Cordova and Houston levee Apartments both properties are over priced.
Cons
Uniquely structured and managed progressive company!
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCOctober 9, 2018
Bluestone is a uniquely structured and managed progressive company that uses it's talented employees ideas to constantly improve the company's policies and procedures. If you don't like change and technology, this company is not for you. But if you can embrace the empowerment of having a voice, even from the lowest positions in the company, and can roll with the punches--this is an absolutely amazing company to work for! The owners are very respectful to their employees, and leave you alone to do your job as long as you show them you're on top of your metrics, and proactive in solving issues. Most of the corporate 360 staff are super nice and helpful, and many go out of their way to make you feel appreciated. The company does a great job maintaining positivity, and loves implementing new tech savvy ways to make your day to day duties easier, and more productive. It's been a great learning opportunity for someone like me, who doesn't necessarily consider themselves "tech savvy."
Pros
Freedom of speech, structure, down to earth owners & most 360 staff
Cons
Communication is not always to notch, pay for some positions is low
VP Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Work from Home and travelAugust 2, 2018
Great place to work and be part of a team. The company is very transparent and competitive for all roles they hire for. I love the passion that I feel form all of my co-workers.
Pros
Get id done attitude
Cons
non
Terrible management that has no corporate office. Stay away at all costs, look elsewhere.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 16, 2018
The whole Bluestone scene is a total failure and it's embarrassing to work for them. Their reputation is horrible and they all tell you a different story. They are young and can't manage properties being they have no real professional that work for them, they all work from home! So many bad experiences, my best advise is to look elsewhere for employment!
Pros
Milking the clock.
Cons
To many
The absolute worst Property Management Company on the Planet
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2017
For a company that tries to recruit "Entrepreneurial, Independent" Managers, they are the most micro management company I've ever known. The reason they reach out this way is because of their terrible "training" program. Any good, experienced Property Manager does not need training in the field of multi-family management but one does need training to learn the processes and policies of a company that has just employed you. But since the Bluestone upper management all work from home because they have no real Corporate Office, you rarely see a face unless it is via a webinar. They most always use their exclusive email system for communication and sometimes the phone. They like to say they are the Management Company of the future....that is just hogwash. They have no real roots so job security is questionable at least.

The pay is okay but they want to offset salary with high rental discounts if possible. So be careful with that in the event your employment doesn't work out. They will fire you in a heartbeat minute if they feel you don't meet their unrealistic "model" so you'll find yourself without a job or a home. Their turnover is tremendous...go figure. So BEWARE of that.

If you're desperate or want to try to buy into their "Culture" then give Bluestone a shot. Otherwise stay as far away from this company as you can. Bad business, bad Karma, just bad, bad, bad.
Pros
Ok income but with high rental discounts
Cons
Frankly everything
Problem Solvers
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Burleson, TXAugust 6, 2018
Bluestone as a company is awesome to work for due to many reasons like they allow you to run your property with little oversight, communication with other employees or corporate staff is almost instant with our company communication software, they offer an overwhelming amount of technology software to help you monitor your property and help self train, and the list goes on. The company is very forward thinking and being that the company is not as large as others in the industry change can happen immediately if something is out of place or does not work with our policies/paperwork/procedures. I would say that with all of the great things about Bluestone and how they set you up for success there is a downside. I have learned that the company will either make you or break you when it comes to your own success. If you are not able to be self taught and need a lot of oversight from a manager in order to complete your assigned duties this may not be the best fit but on the other hand if you are a quick learner and hit the ground running Bluestone offers you growth opportunities within the company. So if you are eager to learn and have a passion for the business this will be a great fit for you.
Great Company
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, IN 47130March 7, 2018
Enjoyed working for this company. The new operations manager is not the best person, but not the worst. I learned a lot working for them and wish things would have ended differently.
Pros
Benefits, training
Cons
Politics.
Do NOT work here, you've been warned!
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 10, 2018
DO NOT WORK FOR BLUESTONE, you will dread the mistake. The corporate management team is a total laugh, have no clue what is actually going on as they sit from their homes. As the masses have stated STAY AWAY!!!
Pros
ultipro
Cons
low pay, upper management totally failure
Need To Learn how to Run Apartments
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UtahNovember 11, 2018
One of the worst companies i have work for and will never go back They really need to improve the way they operate Just because they think its good does not mean it is......The One i worked for was Eagles Landing Apartments in Salt Lake Area...
Hectic Enviorment
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Harlinge TxJuly 5, 2018
Give a overload of workload and expects to be done when is almost near impossible. Cannot get stuff when you need it and then get it trouble when you can't do the job due to not having the correct items.

To much nepotism. Managers hiring family members
Pros
Friendly Residents
Cons
Managment to many women calling the shots
good place towork
maintance tech (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXSeptember 1, 2018
very respectful of employes and willing to help you get ahead in the company, willing to work with you on all jobs to be sucsefull in life and whats best for the company
Your experience might be different
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN, TEMPORARY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 1, 2018
Really can't say anything good or bad all i can say is this is not the company for me I don't agree with some of the policies and my situation at my current property is not ideal for me
Pros
Easy property
Cons
Work situation
Corporate Regional Sucked
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 1, 2017
Loved the Property, Loved the staff, loved the Company. The Regional Manager was non supportive, jealous and down right spiteful, she gets you in her sights, You can be doing an amazing job and succeeding and she allows personal things to interfere. You are NOT allowed to do your job for the betterment of the Property and Company. They have their favorites and you better also kiss their butt. You can outright catch someone doing something wrong over and over, but you cannot do your job as a manager because the Regional thinks they are great! Your staff will lose respect for you and everyone begins doing what they want and you get the beating. It is a no win situation. All over. Would never ever work for the company as long as that caddy unprofessional snake works there, She is the ONLY problem, they paid right and offered benefits and the quality of the product was great! One bad apple.
Pros
Great Properties
Cons
Horrible Regional KS

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BLUESTONE PROPERTIES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5