BMC Software Employee Reviews

Continuos change and mediocre management, lack of transparency in quotas
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  LatinamericaJuly 3, 2018
Just to be a good company five years ago, no transparency in quotas , it seems that the company wants to pay less every year in commissions, unfortunately is managed by finance instead of sales , The communication with the employee is broken , a lot of talent is looking better options specially in sales. Need to reinforce customer sat.
Pros
Good solutions and innovation, Nice coworkers .
Cons
Mediocre management, lack of transparency in the sales goals and quotas .
Lots of good people but not much leadership
Presales Engineer (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 1, 2018
Seems that the company is fighting for its life with frequent leadership changes and product strategy changes. Better work hard or your job will evaporate
Pros
Good people
Cons
poor leadership
BMC is an interesting place to work
STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2018
BMC always has a lot of change happening so that makes it a very interesting place to work. Since BMC is a tech company, the facilities are beautiful and there are many amenities offered including two cafes and a gym.
Great group of people, excellent pay and benefits but lay-offs twice a year
Senior Manager Product Development (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 20, 2018
During my time at BMC, I was lucky to work with a very strong group of professionals, together we solved really complex problems, grew a ton and had fun doing it.
If it wasn't for the fact that there are constants lay offs of excellent talent, I would give BMC a 5 star review.
Pros
excellent people, pay, benefits
Cons
lay-offs twice a year
enjoyed it while I was there
Senior Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 5, 2018
Was there 5 years, enjoyed most of it, but downward spiral of morale began within a year of my hiring. Good people, mediocre management with a few good ones.
Pros
people
Cons
lack of stability
Business software developer
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 27, 2018
I'm not inclined to provide a summary review for this company aside from my enjoyment as an employee during my tenure.

I spent ten years there working with wonderful people.
Enjoyable work environment but work requirements could never be met as they should be accomplished.
Staff Maintenance Renewal Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 27, 2018
Enjoyable work environment. Workload far greater than any person could handle 70+ hours. Tremendous amount of learning needed without any formal training or "How To Accomplish" requirements. Very few if any written requirements other than a emails which made it very difficult to research and/or study. Frequent request from the Corporate office to perform non-sales tasks because someone needed information for their task assignment. Great work environment with quality associates.
Pros
Free order-in lunches, plenty of free beverages and snacks, great benefits
Cons
Workload far greater than any person could accomplish in 70+ work hours, plus Corporate administrative management work assigned time consuming non-sales work tasks.
Staff Specialist Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 16, 2018
I worked with a great team of people from all around the world, and we worked together on a daily basis in order to better assist our customers. My direct manager was not a micro manager and trusted us to get the job done, and our customer satisfaction scores reflected our ability to do just that.
Pros
work from home
Cons
lay offs every April and October
A bit stressful
Principal Value Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2018
As the company went private 5 years ago with the goal of going public again - the culture has become more stressful the past few years.
Overall, I enjoyed my 18 years at BMC. I had the opportunity to work several different jobs and with different solutions.
Also had the opportunity for an expat position in France around an acquisition that I built the business case for.
Pros
Great products - opportunity for diverse work
Cons
Stressful culture - but only recently
STAFF MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2018
Company allowed its employees to work from home, or gave them an alternative work schedule. There was no dress code, which made it a comfortable work place. Hardest part of job was work flow varied, so no guarantee on your days work. But it was challenging and interesting.
Pros
flexible work hours, and ability to work from home
Cons
No clear job view on pay scales for other jobs
Great place to start your career in IT
Business Development (BDR) (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 3, 2018
Enablement and coaching are top notch. Went from working in retail to working in a cubicle, but the company made it enjoyable and was able to ramp up quickly.
Pros
flexible, management, upward mobility
Cons
private company as of right now, unknown if they will be aquired or go IPO
Working on latest technologies in software development
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAMarch 22, 2018
The work is challenging and enjoyable. There is a lack of resources to accomplish the tasks which cause stress and frustration.
There is close collaboration in each team. The communication across teams is quite challenging.
Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2018
Typical day included managing the corporate card program. Learned how to manage team. Workplace culture was friendly. The harderst part was pursuing advancement. Most enjoyable part was the people.
The best way to learn the business!
Senior Manager, R&D Operations (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2018
During my time at BMC I learned about several aspects of the business, and had an opportunity to move around the BUs, Departments and roles. There is a lot of flexibility on when and where you work.
Love bmc
Marketing Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2018
Leading software provider with good products but a little slow responding to competitive market changes. Team is committed and they value their employees.
The company has come a long way, but there is room for improvement in areas of management
Legal Records Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2018
A great place to work and retain knowledge of the tech world. Very good benefits and workplace culture. Management team is very hands-on when working with team members.
Employees are informed of changes within the company.
My only complaint was no transparency in HR department.
Pros
great benefits, vacation time
Cons
located in southwest Houston, lots of traffic congestion
Mainframe Will Exist Forever?
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 7, 2018
Very technical developers and has a plan to train younger generation for zOS. The question is how do people see zOS 10 years from now if it still exist.
Pros
Technical sufficient
Cons
Swimming against the tide
The team environment was great
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Had a lot of fun because I was not being micro managed. I was allowed to develop tests plans by myself. Great working environment with the individual team members. When I found a bug the developers were happy you found it. They were fixed promptly for me to retest. Their view was that every bug found made the product better and it was released to the DBAs who use the product.
Pros
Freedom on how I did my job.
Cons
Not many cons when I worked there.
Takes care of employees
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2018
I was managed well, and it was evident that management cared about keeping the employees happy. They provided a very comfortable environment in which to work. Collaboration was required and expected; and all resources required for the job were provided. Everything was a team effort, and things were always done to best support the customer.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Job security in tech industry; job shipped overseas
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2018
Good people to work for. Long hours as the staff is a skeleton crew. They have high productivity mode in my areal. On the positive side, I have had the chance to wear many hats and learn how to be an effective successful account manager. Due to the go to market design, there are often internal battles between different BUs and between different sales roles which is unpleasant.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
somewhat political

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMC Software. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight