BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Investment Banking
Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
It is investment banking...going to work long hours. Culture is solid overall but definitely still has its growing pains. People get cut throat as you advance.
Three Branch managers in one year
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Three Lakes, WIApril 13, 2018
Under staffed
Poor management
Don’t keep their word
Outdated computer software
Good pay - but not worth it
Canadian corporate - you are just a number - they don’t care
I had three managers in one year - turnover very high
Traditional banking environment
Process Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Traditional banking environment with various levels of complexities. Overall decent place to work and better if you know the "right" people. Lot of long hours to develop compliance and regulatory issues.
Pros
Comfortable working enviornment
Cons
Conflicting management objectives
Stagnant and Stodgy
Senior AML Consultant | Capital Markets, P&C (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Difficult to distinguish yourself making advancement difficult. Managers have little stake in their employees. The discourse between managers was divisive and distracting.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Advancement difficult
Competitive but fair
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
While the work environment in Investment Banking could be stressful at times, we often collaborated and would be able to get things done together. Always knew where I stood, good or bad.
Hardest Part of the Job
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
I find the hardest part of working at BMO to be the slow pace at which decisions are made. There is a consistent effort to engage all stakeholders, which is good, but it leads to slowness and missed deadlines.
fine bank to work for
SENIOR ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2018
smaller shop but well managed and operated. good culture. actively involved in the community. good work life balance. slower pace then nyc banking culture but would recommend.
Pros
culture, visibility
Cons
smaller shop
Collaborative, but competitive work place
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2018
While not a bulge bracket bank, they are a very solid 2nd tier bank, who often successfully competes head to head with the big boys. Long hours, but certainly no worse than other investment banking jobs, and lighter easier to maintain a work life balance than at a bulge bracket. Pay is competitive, although less than bulge bracket salaries. Everyone is collaborative. The institution tends to be very bureaucratic.
Growing bank with great culture
Card Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2018
BMO has a great deal to offer in the form of a strong culture and a very collegial work environment. They do have some internal capabilities restrictions not felt at the larger banks that I have worked with, but there is no lack of work ethic.
For a mid-career choice BMO Financial Group (BMO Harris Bank) is a good choice. Make sure that you push the envelope here as strong effort will be rewarded.
If I found a weak point it was in management development. There is plenty of coaching and careful monitoring, but not much in the way of encouraged risk-taking.
Innovation is about average for banking. The customer service ethic is the best I have seen anywhere in banking (as an employee or customer).
Pros
Culture of inclusion, leaders who care, many women in leadership positions
Cons
Innovation and risk taking are not a focus.
Inclusive, Ethical, and Community-minded
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2018
The executive leadership at BMO walks the talk, which is rarely found these days. The work environment is very inclusive of different people, thoughts, and cultures. The workloads are, on average, demanding, involving multiple deadlines and fast paced. The compensation and benefits are average for the banking industry, which is better than most industries. Overall, the leadership is grounded, transparent, and highly capable.

Mostly, If you are determined to work for an organization that consistently supports the community, then I would recommend BMO as a place to start, accelerate, or end your career.
Pros
Leaderhip, community advocacy, comp/benefits
Cons
highly competive, high stress, long work hours
Slow work evvironment
CONSULTANT/PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Pace of using new technology is very slow. BMO preference is is to use vendor software instead of developing their own. This leads to lot of time wasted in integration and finding work around the vendor software
nice team
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 24, 2018
my team leader know lots of thing.
I learned lots from him too. I still kept touch with him.
but I think they see contract person as different person with full time employee.
Pros
nice team
Cons
contract
Great Enviroment
Sr. Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2018
BMO Capital Markets has a great culture, great mangement team, and amazing global support. It was simply just a glass ceiling for my particular aspirations, highly recommend!
Pros
Benefits, location
Cons
Pay
Good workplace
Associate - Corporate Banking (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2018
BMO is a great workplace with its people and atmosphere, though sometimes I felt the bank lacked the competitive drive and spirit to make it a major player.
Hard Work with a Purpose
Investment Banking Analyst (Current Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 5, 2018
Working in I&CB at BMO is extremely difficult. In some groups, you will consistently work 100+ hours per week. This job is for people who understand why they are making the sacrifice.
Pros
Free dinner, challenging work
Cons
Hours, lack of management structure
Good culture
Derivative Settlement Operation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 1, 2018
Good, professional working environment. The colleagues in the office I shared it with worked as a good team. The rate was reasonable at the time I was working there. Everybody worked hard but, in general, having a good balance between work and life.
Pros
Good work/life balance, deadlines aren’t too strenuous
Cons
BMO Global Asset Management is restructuring its Operation Derivative team.
Productive, great team projects & relaxed environment
KYC ONBOARDING ANALYST- CONTRACT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2018
assigned work & allotted a certain amount of time to complete. Created strategies on how to have effective solutions to make software easier for us to understand
Summary
Audit Manager - Treasury (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2018
tremendous colleagues to work with
high level of integrity
great brand
work life balance
opportunities to advance are slow
pay is intentionally at 75-80 percentile
Professional organization.
Director of Technology supporting Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Professional organization in most technology and business areas. Collaborative environment with good focus on prioritized projects that provide business added value.
A fantastic internship experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 30, 2017
My time at BMO was probably different from many other floors within BMO, however I found their commitment to mentor-ship and caring about what interns did was phenomenal. I would say there is probably less work than say at an agency but they try to fill it and expand the horizons the best they can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.4Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.