BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Found 207 reviews matching the search See all 1,821 reviews
System Developer (Former Employee) –  OntarioOctober 3, 2018
I caught the Y2K wave and was hired to learn how to program in Assembler. I had a business major and had taken programming courses in college. They took me in and paid me to teach me how to program. The benefit package was great on the get-go. Great management, great co-workers.
Loved my manager
Senior Business Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 3, 2018
Stiff upper-lipped director liked to micro manage some of his managers...systems were completely outdated for a bank, that was extremely shocking at the least
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
Archaic Systems
Great place to work but micromanaged by Canada
Co-Director, Diversity & Inclusion (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2018
Work was overseen by Canadian leadership who didn't have a full understanding of what was needed in the US. Chicago teams were great, easy to work with, and very professional. Canada was also professional but it was very hard to move the needle with the leadership there.
Great work place - flexible, autonomous and collaborative
Independent Consultant - PM/BA (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2018
Very flexible and open to collaboration, people are generally very helpful and easy to communicate with. Great work - life balance which is a huge plus in the financial services industry.
Great company to work, unlimited perks for employees
Contract AML/KYC Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Great company to work, unlimited perks for employees, doggy care, free coffee, free tab beer, unlimited resources, for gym, child care, tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
no cons
BMO Capital Markets is a great Company to work for
New York, Head of US Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 21, 2018
Much like many companies they go through a cycle of centralization then de-centralization on the technology platform. Management is constantly revolving thus, having to re-pore your skills and abilities when new management arrives. Work / Family balance is very important to the company
good company
LENDING SPECIALIST AND INVESTMENTS QUALIFIED (Former Employee) –  Montreal, WIAugust 17, 2018
overall great company. Focus at providing best service fr it's customer. Focus are keeping and improving it's employees.
Typically weekly meeting,
Easy to talk to managers.
Great Opportunities
Senior Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 11, 2018
Ever changing work environment. Depending on the manager you have your day might be typical and mundane or varied with a lot of different things to do.
Pros
Good 1st level management
Cons
Outdated systems
Great place to develop and advance your career.
Senior Manager Process Transformation (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
BMO Financial Group has allowed me to develop across multiple roles throughout my career. I began at BMO in the check processing operation and progressed throughout their Technology and Operations organization ultimately landing in Procurement where I was able to achieve great success while adding value to BMO's objective, to be the bank that defines great customer experience.

I have also referred many friends and family members that have also been able to achieve professional success with the bank. Several establishing and continuing long term careers.
Pros
Remote work capabilities
Cons
Benefits in the US have been cut over the past several years
Stressful Work Environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2018
I was so excited to get hired at BMO Capital Markets. That was short lived. The management is more focused on the bankers and their option more then the administrative staff which isn't fare. The bank caters to the bankers which makes it banker focused.
Cons
Benefits are horrible and can't afford the high deductable
awful
Executive Assistant/Media Division Banking (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Simply an awful place and mistake to have gone there. I left my previous job of 21 years thinking this might be the right place; unfortunately, it was not.
BMO teller position
Teller Supervisor (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILJuly 26, 2018
The staff is horrible, even when you mind your business. Management Gossip, put down others in front of clients. A very bad experience Neg environment
Pros
Excellent vacation package
Cons
Management unprofessional
if you're a contractor - don't bother.
Technology Analyst Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 26, 2018
Contractors are treated like 2nd class citizens.
Excluded from some meetings that have a direct impact on your job.
BMO would not agree to a raise over 2 contract extensions - even though job performance was excellent, and the bank as a whole had great profits.

BMO looks for every opportunity to not have contractors get paid. i.e.
No pay for company holidays.
Recommend to BMO management to tell contractors not to come to work on anticipated "light" work days.
Excluded from activities.
Pros
it's a job.
Cons
management and company policy regarding contractors and employee salary.
Horrible don’t apply here or open account
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunset Hills, MOJuly 23, 2018
Horrible company to work for, never fully staffed. Took sick days when my minor son had major surgery well guess what after approved counted against me. I was laid off told June 8 for July 13 last day to work. I see my job is posted looking for someone to hire for the job I had It was posted my last day of work, Never had enough staff for me to take a lunch. They expect part timers to work every Saturday. Worst place wouldn’t ever have account with them, How do you get customers to open new accounts when it’s the same people daily? Current branch manager didn’t know how to work teller line or banker position. Managers should know all jobs. I was 20 hour employee at first feb 2016 when hired but worked up to 32 hours. Then oct 2017 reduced to 15 hours lost my insurance. March 2018 received little over 3.00 raise. Makes no sense. There was times I was scheduled for 3 hours a day. Not worth me coming in for three hours. When 15 hour employee they scheduled me 24-25 hours. My vacation/sick was based off 15 or 20 hour employee. They made sure I was under the required 1250 hours so I couldn’t do Fmla. The play favoritism with their employees too. Bank opens at 9 am employees would let me in drive up which is a self standing building across the street at 855 am.
Pros
The pay is good
Cons
Too many to count
Negative work environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 23, 2018
I did not enjoy coming to work at BMO. The management was bet unethical and lacking. A lot of favoritism. Computer systems are hard to navigate around.
Focused on Improving the I-Banking Culture
Investment Banking Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2018
Very focused on it's people and employee development. While they try hard to re-define the typical I-banking environment (work hard to improve employee retention by tracking/limiting weekend work levels), work-life balance will vary greatly depending on group placement
Fast paced, productive, commission
Senior Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
Well connected place, well management, home ownership, college bound. Great place for diversity. Putting smile on a family face when you did all you can for them to make their dreams come true.
Pros
Great benefits, free education
Cons
wish i never left
Poor management
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
Used to be a good company a few years ago. I left 6 months ago due to poor management and a lack of opportunities. The retail bank has become very sales focused and don’t care about their clients. I get and really like sales. Wells Fargo anyone??
Pros
Good vacation time
Cons
Low total compensation, HDHP only option
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
Overall work life balance was the best I have had in 30+years of working. There was always a sense of working through problems and getting to a real solution.
Needs improvement
Trader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
Co workers were good people, company moved at a glacial pace. Advancement in the company is not where it should be - I saw many good people walk away for better opportunities elsewhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

80%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss