BMO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Found 218 reviews matching the search See all 1,885 reviews
Very inefficient environment.
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2018
I honestly wonder why an activist investor has not targeted this bank. Its the most inefficient organization that I have ever worked for. So many data silos and ineffective governance. Many different teams will keep recreating the report. Shareholders are left holding the bag. A very unfortunate situation.
Assitant Vice-President (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 29, 2018
Lacking integrity. Scared of change. Arrogant interpretation to EQ. Gross violation of code of conduct and ethics. Committee based business decisions to protect middle task managers.
Great company, but inexperience management.
Desktop Publishing / Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2018
Great company, but inexperience management. I've worked at BMO for 4 years and it was like a revolving door. Unfortunately, management didn't have a clue how to run our department, and in the end, workers had to suffer due to their lack of experience.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Inexperience management
Work culture
Safekeeping Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 19, 2018
Currently modernizing in the US, the company is still a global bank. with that being said there are many employees rotating in and out. The culture is relatively positive, I’ve had no problems however i am only limited to my team.
Good depending on department
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2018
There are dramatic differences in culture depending on the area of the organization you work with. The directors and executives of each area drive the culture including expectations, work/life balance and mobility. The one constant is that the organization is great about career advancement and encourages movement within line of business.
Pros
Encouraged and supportive career development
Cons
lack of formalized training (area dependent), complicated infrastructure
Not applicable
Analytics Consultant AML (Current Employee) –  OntarioNovember 11, 2018
I am a contract employee. My contract has been extended to the maximum period. I was given an independence to work on my own. Tools are good and management support is excellent.
Pros
Cons
Nothing special
Not a team enviroment
T&O Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Cedarburg, WINovember 2, 2018
I learned that just because you work as a "team" that doesn't mean anything. There were many people who would not pull their weight in the department. The manager is blissfully ignorant and has no idea what happens in the department. The manager I feel is two faced and mixes his personal life with business, I have seen it on several occasions. Issues/conflicts never get resolved, there were times where there was a serious break down in communication because someone wasn't paying attention to the changes of the job functions. Some of the employees spoke in a different language making it uncomfortable to work. There were a lot of people not minding their own business. One of the older workers refused to take responsibility for their mistakes, and needed constant reminders on how to do their job. Workers would tattle and make up stories just to get people in trouble, blaming others for ridiculous things and making outrageous accusations.

It just started to become too stressful of an environment. The management started breaking down and it was getting to a point that no matter how much you defended yourself, nothing was going to change.
Pros
Benefits Package, Paid Holidays, Flexible work hours, Paid sick and vacation.
Cons
lazy workers, slow work, inconsistent training, ignorant management
Internal Culture Heavily Driven by Politics
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2018
On a day-to-day basis, workers and management experience the company in two separate ways. If you are at the level performing the work, you are held accountable for everything, even activities that you were never told were your responsibility. Management, however, has a country-club type existence. Decisions are made my committee so that no single person owns a decisions and can be held accountable to results.

If an initiative fails, management does everything possible to push the blame down to the lowest possible layer. If it succeeds, there are groups of people waiting in the wings to steal the credit for it, and the pay incentives that come with having had a successful initiative.
Pros
Great Vacation Package and Better Healthcare Benefits than other firms
Cons
All decisions are driven by politics, even the removal of toxic employees
Productive work place, great people.....
MD - Head of FX Institutional Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2018
Great people, but a lot of management changes which left a lot of uncertainty, with no explanation. The organization has a lot of talented people, but lacks the product mix to enable them to be extremely successful. BMO spends a great deal of money on technology, but lags behind its competition. They never seem to get the technology mix right, and often by the time they implement a new technology / system, it's already obsolete.
Pros
People
Cons
Management going through a lot of changes
The Cover of the Book
Vice President, Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 6, 2018
I worked for BMO for many years and went though may transitions with them. Seen lots of staff come and go, seem lots of excellent managers and terrible ones. I learned a lot but at a cost. You are a number and better reach that number. Certainly there is a need to service, sell and create revenue however the strategies used and the lack of personal relationship with staff from the managers cause a lot of turnover and disdain. I enjoyed working within a good team at the customer level but beyond that, management needs lessons in EQ
Pros
Good retirement benefits
Cons
Mid level management self promotion, unreasonable sales goals
System Developer (Former Employee) –  OntarioOctober 3, 2018
I caught the Y2K wave and was hired to learn how to program in Assembler. I had a business major and had taken programming courses in college. They took me in and paid me to teach me how to program. The benefit package was great on the get-go. Great management, great co-workers.
Loved my manager
Senior Business Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 3, 2018
Stiff upper-lipped director liked to micro manage some of his managers...systems were completely outdated for a bank, that was extremely shocking at the least
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
Archaic Systems
Great place to work but micromanaged by Canada
Co-Director, Diversity & Inclusion (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2018
Work was overseen by Canadian leadership who didn't have a full understanding of what was needed in the US. Chicago teams were great, easy to work with, and very professional. Canada was also professional but it was very hard to move the needle with the leadership there.
Great work place - flexible, autonomous and collaborative
Independent Consultant - PM/BA (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2018
Very flexible and open to collaboration, people are generally very helpful and easy to communicate with. Great work - life balance which is a huge plus in the financial services industry.
Great company to work, unlimited perks for employees
Contract AML/KYC Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Great company to work, unlimited perks for employees, doggy care, free coffee, free tab beer, unlimited resources, for gym, child care, tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
no cons
BMO Capital Markets is a great Company to work for
New York, Head of US Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 21, 2018
Much like many companies they go through a cycle of centralization then de-centralization on the technology platform. Management is constantly revolving thus, having to re-pore your skills and abilities when new management arrives. Work / Family balance is very important to the company
good company
LENDING SPECIALIST AND INVESTMENTS QUALIFIED (Former Employee) –  Montreal, WIAugust 17, 2018
overall great company. Focus at providing best service fr it's customer. Focus are keeping and improving it's employees.
Typically weekly meeting,
Easy to talk to managers.
Great Opportunities
Senior Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 11, 2018
Ever changing work environment. Depending on the manager you have your day might be typical and mundane or varied with a lot of different things to do.
Pros
Good 1st level management
Cons
Outdated systems
Great place to develop and advance your career.
Senior Manager Process Transformation (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
BMO Financial Group has allowed me to develop across multiple roles throughout my career. I began at BMO in the check processing operation and progressed throughout their Technology and Operations organization ultimately landing in Procurement where I was able to achieve great success while adding value to BMO's objective, to be the bank that defines great customer experience.

I have also referred many friends and family members that have also been able to achieve professional success with the bank. Several establishing and continuing long term careers.
Pros
Remote work capabilities
Cons
Benefits in the US have been cut over the past several years
Stressful Work Environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2018
I was so excited to get hired at BMO Capital Markets. That was short lived. The management is more focused on the bankers and their option more then the administrative staff which isn't fare. The bank caters to the bankers which makes it banker focused.
Cons
Benefits are horrible and can't afford the high deductable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BMO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

80%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss