BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

Great company
Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 15, 2018
Great company and work environment with lots of great people and innovative technology. Work hours are typically flexible and environment promotes a team atmosphere.
good place to work
Senior Purchasing Analyst/Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 1, 2018
Good place to work. Friendly. job security, growing company,stable, good benefits good company to retire from,. employee appreciation
emphasizes safety at all levels
Pros
job security, a caring company
Poor Communication
Paralegal III (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 30, 2018
Communications in the law department are weak. Not informed on what is going on with litigation matters or projects. Co-workers are not helpful due to concern of loosing jobs.
Pros
Great retirement benefits
Cons
Not a happy work environment
The harder at part
Track Maintenance and Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2018
It’s has it’s ups and downs but it has been a great place to work, people are helpful only if you ask questions it will take a long time before a new employee get weekends off
Pros
Great pay, great retirement benefits
Cons
Long hours, never home, furlough
Better Not Start a Family
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 29, 2018
This job buried me, and I despise myself for allowing it to drive me away from my wife and children. But it’s what the company does. Human Resources is a joke, they turn a blind eye to everything. General managers get away with murder, if they don’t like you, you basically have no choice to quit because they won’t allow you to go anywhere. I loved this job when I first started, but it is not what it used to be. They’ve promoted too many power hungry individuals over ones that can actually perform the job without bias and keep things under control. Backstabbers all over. Affairs taking place all the time and grown men that act like toddlers. Stay away.
Benefits
Cons
Upper Management power trips, HR untrustworthy
great for someone with no family
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Needles, CAJune 21, 2018
This job will throw money at every chance they get but, do not expect to have a life. You work on call and are gone from anywhere between 36 hours to a year depending on your seniority. everything is your fault no matter what happened so stay sharp! Its a mix of good and bad people, most are divorced because of said lifestyle complications.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
On call crazy schedual, dangerous, no home time.
remote office very barren
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77032June 19, 2018
definitely not fr the older experienced,must conform to the new social media style, and strictly company policy with little or no consideration to any ideas outside of the company plan
Old school militaristic company
Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 19, 2018
Not a forward thinking company. Leadership focus has diminished since the company was purchased by Berkshire Hathaway. No flexible work arrangements exist and the culture is very rigid.
Good people
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Alliance, NEJune 19, 2018
The people you work with are fun and knowledgeable. I learned a lot in the short time I was there but due to personal and family reason I was let go. I do miss working there as it was a fun work environment.
high expectations from upper management
Manager Dispatcher Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 15, 2018
I had 10 employees under my direct supervision that handled filling train dispatcher vacancies. I handled excessive layoff employees, kept an excel report on absenteeism for upper management,and held investigations on those employees that consistently laid off work. Took part in numerous conference calls every morning to report stats for our department. Every year I traveled to our other locations to sit down with the union reps to work out vacation schedules for the following year. There was a high expectation to perform and little tolerance for those that didn't. I really liked the group I was in as we were all on the same page as to our goals.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
High stress job
Solid compnay
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCJune 11, 2018
Strong company to work for. Competitive salary. Good advancement opportunities, low to mid level daily stress, lots of effective internal communication.
If you like to travel or be laid off you will like it
Track Inspector (Current Employee) –  MTJune 2, 2018
Watch your back, the company officers will always blame the employee first for anything that happens. If an accident happens and someone gets hurt, it will always be the employees fault.
Pros
Pay is good but getting worse
Cons
Only care about money and not the people that make it for them
The work aint hard, but you pay a price.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 29, 2018
The best way I can describe being a Conductor is like having a new girlfriend. First you are all happy and giddy. But then after awhile the real person shows up and it's not all roses and candy. 5 years in and it's something else. Some days I get over and some days I get the screwing of a lifetime. I had a student working with me and he was in that "new girlfriend" phase and I told him don't think it's going to be like this all the time. Wait until they start screwing with your claims. Claims that you know are good or somehow messing up your pay or overtime. One thing I was told when I hired out was that you WILL fight for your money. I almost expect stupidity and incompetence when out on the road. The dispatchers will not communicate with train crews so you cannot plan where to stop your train. Somehow a signal is supposed to magically tell me what's going on. The same stretch of territory will be different every trip. Some rules are not clear-cut as you can ask 10 different people and you might get 12 different answers. I do like the fact that people don't rush into a situation and get themselves in trouble. You will spend alot of time to and fro in vans. Some drivers are good and some you wonder how in the world are they smart enough to breathe let alone drive. If you dont think long-term it will not work. God willing this will be the last place I will work before I retire for good. Even with all the b.s., I cant see working anywhere else for the pay.(when it's right) Lastly I will talk about management. Where I'm at, we had this one guy that would never leave his office.  more... I never even knew who this guy was for 4 months of him being here. Even then after that he never did much. I never seen him talking to many people or out and about like our last terminal supervisor. Ive also been lied to about a policy dealing with working in lightning. Anyways I avoid management unless I ABSOLUTELY need something but its not often. My job is usually cut and dry when I come in. All in all it's what you make of it.  less
Pros
The pay (for what you do), each day is different, met some good people, no-rush safe environment.
Cons
Management, lack of communication when on the road
Great Company to work for.
Project Manager I Compliance (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 23, 2018
BNSF provides a work/life balance for those who have families to go home to. I've learned so much about working in a Corporate environment and I can't thank BNSF enough for helping me further my education.
Pros
Starbucks, gym, running trail, multiple cafeterias
Cons
Healthcare for exemot employees
Fun and exciting, something new everyday
Welder/Truck driver/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 21, 2018
Fun work environment, great guys to work with its like a brotherhood. Same but different jobs each day. Excellant pay and health insurance, and if you like to travel you get the choice of jobs to be able to do that.
Another railroad that isnt what it used to be
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2018
Average pay for the business, stacked in a culture of mediocrity that supports lazy people doing as little as possible while the few people that actually have a work ethic take up the slack. It's not worth the effort.
Pros
Decent pay, but could be better
Cons
Unqualified management
Mechanical Foreman II (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 18, 2018
BNSF is a great place to work. The pay is awesome and the people are getting better. It use to be management vs the union, but now they are both coming together. I love this company.
Pros
Pomotion opportunities are endless
Cons
promote from with in the department so it's hard to cross transfer from one department to another.
No Life
Roadmaster (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 18, 2018
There is zero work life balance. Expected to work 24/7. No room for advancement and phone rings constantly. Management is very poor and just covers their backs
Tough work culture
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMay 17, 2018
Difficult to balance your life when I was working there. Managers are required to put in many hours within the operations department. They were trying to change the culture there but it will take a long time.
Different every time I went to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 16, 2018
Worked with different individuals on each trip, no repeat working with an individual as both the engineers and conductors had a rotating pool, so you usually had a different conductor every trip.
Pros
Packed your lunch
Cons
Breaks were what you could make of them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BNSF Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.2Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight