BNSF Railway Employee Reviews

productive brotherhood of men and women of the highest standards
Lead Safety inspector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 20, 2019
A place a where learning is daily co worker are like family. Because this place becomes your home as you are a service provider and the rail industry comes first. If the freight doesn't shake the money doesn't make. placement depends on seniority making work and home balance sometimes impossible for some depending on their families needs.
Pros
free training and certifications all across the u.s
Cons
furloughs, and abolishment, depending or increase or decrease service needed, effecting those with the least seniority first off
Would be great to work at if HR did their job
LOCOMOTIVE ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2019
Sexist, racist, at north town diesel yard. If you're a minority or not a good old boy this may not be the place for you. If you report it they find a way to retaliate.
Poor work life balance and benefits average
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 15, 2019
Management starts with 10 days of vacation and you gain 5 after every 5 years employed. You are only able to roll over 5 of your days to the end of the 1st quarter of the year.

Expectation and culture is to work when asked including weekends, and as salaried worker, you are not paid for that time, of course. Good job out of college, would recommend getting the job gaining skills that you can use elsewhere once you can negotiate better benefits.

Travel is expected and this job is hard once you have a family, so get in young and get out before you start planning that part of your life.

The pay looks great on paper, but once you realize that you are working more than 40 hours a week and never home, you realize it is to compensate for the poor work life balance.
Pros
Decent pay, gaining work experience
Cons
Work life balance
Commitment to Safety and Service
Medical Manager I (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 14, 2019
Inclusive atmosphere with strong, supportive leadership. Committed to employees, families and communities. Safety is top priority and doing things right the first time.
Pros
Secure industry, lead by strong leadership
Cons
N/a
Good
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 7, 2019
a good place to work, good work and life balance. I like this company, I am sharing knowledge, skills and expertise with other team members. Is able to effectively collaborate with team and project members in order to complete a task.
Great company to work for
Positive Train Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 6, 2019
I loved my time working for BNSF. My only complaint would be that it was next to impossible to get converted from a contractor to a full time employee. If I were I would have retired from BNSF
No response
Rdm (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 6, 2019
Great company, very fair wages and benefits, long hours, work life balance was difficult to schedule and maintain, great place a a ton of responsibility.
sure why not
Positive Train Control Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 3, 2019
PTC was 12 hour shifts lots of downtime if you can handle the odd schedule. coworkers made the job fun but management needs a lot of help. I learned a lot about trains and railways in general. I found promotions within that particular department were based on how good of friends you were with certain people. overall not a bad place to work but once you get to where you would want to be promoted and move upward then you may want to look for a new job elsewhere.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
management, odd hours
Good people to work with and around
Retired BNSF Railroad Employee (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 24, 2018
I really appreciated working for one of the best jobs available out there, In working many jobs while employeed by bnsf It gave me much experience to move on now that I am Retired I had the opportunity to retire at age 62 and chose to do so, I feel that thru the experience I received there gave me valuable experience that I can use moving forward In running a department smoothly with every employee Involved and TEAMWORK the key word of being successful , every employee should be appreciated for their part of making the team becoming a place that has employees that feel appreciated and want to come to work. more here for me to share when Or If I am chosen for Interview.
Pros
taken out to eat on holidays, Treated In a resectpable manner by management teams
Cons
N/a
Managment is horrible
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 4, 2018
Just a bunch of college grads who read rules in a book but don't know how to apply them. The pay is not that good for the lifestyle we lead, we are just a number looking to be replaced
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Managment, low pay
Challenging and driven work environment.
Train Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 28, 2018
Good pay and great benefits the job as a dispatcher is stressful but rewarding knowing you are moving products across the country that helps everyone with their everyday needs.
Great experience of a Fortune 500 Company
Mechanical Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 25, 2018
Work was challenging and fun. Got to travel all over the country to see how a nationwide company operates. Working at corporate allowed me to see how the company operates from an executive level all the way to the shop level
Job Security, at the price of fun
Technology Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 19, 2018
Company is very outdated. They have developed a time machine at BNSF where you walk in the door and are immediately transported to the year 1970 with a boring work environment, dull, corporate feel.

The IT building is the worst. It's an old giant building with grey cubicles everywhere. Half the IT staff are contractors who keep to themselves. This job will take 10 years off your life based on how boring it is alone.
Hard yet rewarding work
Signalman, System Mobile Construction Crew (Former Employee) –  System wideNovember 14, 2018
I was on an 8 days on with 6 days off, 10 hour days, for 8 years. It is a pace that is challenging both from a professional as well as personal stand point. The work environment is constantly changing as is the weather. Being a part of a team with a common goal is BNSF.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Constant time away
Great Job, terrible life
LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 13, 2018
Working for the railroad means sacrificing any and all free time you may have. On call, poor management and harsh working conditions make this a difficult employer to work for if you have a family.
Terrible leadership
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
Bad management - do not apply. Very too faced managers. Bad leadership structure. Terrible work life balance. Benefits get worse by the year. Salary not worth it. Run from this place.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Terrible management
My experience as a machinist was ok until it became hostile.
Machinist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 8, 2018
Most of the people there were intelligible but the supervisors there haven’t a clue and will lie to protect themselves and will throw you under the bus and make it seem like they didn’t see anything when something happens.
Pros
Good pay free lunches
Cons
Poor management not truthful full of back stabbers
Managers micromanage too much
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 6, 2018
Managers make up useless work for employees. They micromanage too much. Very bossy. Don't listen to the opinion of their staff, and they have a big ego.
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 30, 2018
BNSF is a great company with average benefits and average to below average pay. Overall BNSF has a good company culture and they care about their employees.
Pros
Funded Pension plan and railroad retirement
Cons
No paternity leave, no flexible work arrangements
A Great place to work
Locomotive Journeyman Machinest (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAOctober 29, 2018
On an average day of working at BNSF railway as a Locomotive Journeyman Machinist, I would either perform regular scheduled maintenance or heavy repairs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BNSF Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight