BoatUS Employee Reviews

service department is horrible, worst job i ever had
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 7, 2019
From the start a very unpleasant welcoming from HR.

A typical day was supposed to be customer service tasks but also have to make sales which was not explained when given a choice or sales or service. After you get your insurance license you really dont learn anything else, its not a learning environment very competitive and cut-throat. Micro-managers who must approve you bathroom breaks, bathroom breaks are factored into your performance rating. The people are just mean and very nasty. I always say “BoatU.S. was started on a man getting mad and the company is still mad” everyday is a new altercation.

The hardest part of the job is the constant abuse, managers are not supportive and they do not help. When changes are made reps are not made aware ahead of time as a normal practice and are graded down for not knowing. You are pretty much looked at as a failure.

The most enjoyable part of the job is finally being able to leave it.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, Low moral, unorganized, angry customers
No room for growth
Technical Writer / Business Analyst / Trainer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 15, 2019
BoatUS is a great place to work as a starter job, however, there is not much room for growth. A lot of the managers or supervisors who work in those positions have been there for years and show no signs of moving which makes it harder for you to advance. The culture is based off of popularity or cliques.
Management terrible
CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 16, 2018
So called 'managers' and 'coaches' there dont follow the companies own dress code, some of them are smug, while others seem great until they describe what you did wrong out loud so the whole team hears everything about each other. Not professional in my opinion. I did 5 months then put in my resignation and got out of there.
Productive and fast paced
Dispatcher/ Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 26, 2018
Selling, upgrading and renewing towing services and memberships. Also Providing customer service for existing as well as potential members. Dispatching Towing services to member on the water and on the roads...
Boat us is a fun, competative place to work
Insurance Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 6, 2018
I enjoy assisting members with boat quotes and selling boat tow insurance, trailer assist, and membership packages. Boat US is a competitive company with many friendly employees. Boat US has many incentives for employees that meet necessary goals.
The wost job ever
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 30, 2018
The supervisors show favouritism. It is a team enviornment and most of the employees do not know what they are doing. Advancement is not something you will receive.
Racist, Cheap company with poor Management
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 25, 2018
Extremely bigoted company where remarks like "slavery was pretty sensible" are the norm.
Only expect to be promoted if your an absolute brown nose until the end or your wife or mom is one of the higher ups.
Management is very mean with poor communication, I've literally seen people set up to be fired by management.
Their employee turnaround is almost 50% (about 46% at the time I left)
work here at your own risk...
Pros
Cons
racism, building has roaches and mice, ZERO growth
Service Representative
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 16, 2018
 Specialize in processing boat insurance claims, emergency dispatch, customer service, accounts, policy issuance, and records management. Answers and screens a high volume of incoming calls; greet incoming visitors.
 Maintain detailed records of customer transactions and concerns; follow up on customer interactions.
 Reviews client claims to determine level of action and responds to inquiries to determine further action.
 Refer questionable claims to investigator or claims adjuster for investigation or settlement
Worst place I have ever worked ...horrible
Claims Adjuster ACA1 (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 26, 2018
Management is lacking and encourages co-workers to work against each other. Poorly organized. Many practices are violations of standard HR practices throughout most companies. Employee monthly markers are put on a wall for everyone in the building to see. Bullying is encouraged. If you like back biting, drama, and are a bully this is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
Work culture, benefits, lack of organization, poor management
Productive but stressful
Policy Management Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 10, 2018
Kind of ok place to work however pay should be better for the work being done. Not enough communication between departments and management and employees.
Productive workplace
Call Center / Service Specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 8, 2018
It’s a great company to work for you get benefits if your hired on . You also work 10 hour shifts 4x a wk , so another benefit is u get 3 days off. Also when I started I had no prior experience in the boating industry so it’s a lot of information to grasp. It just takes a while to get the hang of it .
Pros
Company lunches, benefits, pto
Cons
Micro manage a lot
Poor management and inconsistencies
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 4, 2018
Managers and Supervisors need to change asap. You will be coached or written up for the tiniest mistake (taking too long in "work" mode, coming back from your break a minute too long, hitting "ready" a minute too late after logging in, forgetting something simple as saying the company name at the end or mentioning the website, etc) Some managers only care about your needs if there is drama involved ( i.e. hearing gossip about another coworker, HR issues, etc) but when you need help from the manager, they will tell you to find your supervisor, which they are almost never at their desks to assist employees. Promotions are a joke. Ppl have been promoted right after receiving their license while others have been there for years and are still in their same roles. Policy language and procedure constantly change without properly letting everyone in the company know. Some supervisors will say one thing while managers will say another. No one seems to be on the same page. Also be prepared to be placed in multiple queues if it gets busy, even if you are hired for one department.... you may be in the sales, service, and/or claims queue, even if you don't have the certification to be in the claims queue.
Pros
Benefits, Decent pay, Coworkers
Cons
Management, Supervisors, Micromanagement
Fun place to work at
Service Specialist II/Dispatcher II (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CADecember 18, 2017
daily activity of 150 phone calls a day, processing invoices. dispatching the correct towers for our members. Contract members with Boatus membership.
boat us
Roblo (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 2, 2017
Good place to work at i was running the forklift,chopper gun runner,built bottom of the boats never nothing to hard for me to do.Just a good place to work at they will give a rise as long u doing your job and helping the company grow.
We had the best operation of all marine retailers
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDOctober 3, 2017
This was a great place to work. The upper management was very helpful in all aspects of helping our stores reach their fullest potential. Unfortunately the retail stores were sold in early 2003.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
lot of travel
Micro Management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 28, 2017
Managers were very poor. Get into trouble for missing one thing on a phone call like you forgot to mention the website. Policies constantly changing and getting different answers. Breaks were very short. Lots of micromanaging in every area. They don't give you notepads or pens to write on. Just a hassle to get a manager to get you one. Had to supply my own. Company tries to save money but basically it's ran efficient. My desk was so tiny. Yes, you saved money with this tiny desk but it cost you $5000 because I took my license & went somewhere else. Think about employee morale when you are trying to cut costs. Good employees will not stay around.
Pros
My co workers
Cons
10 min breaks. Disorganized Company.
Good job.
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2017
I answer incoming calls for assistance-most are non emergency calls. I give assistance whether on the roadside, on the water, or with the membership.
Pros
Bonus'
Cons
Work schedule
Okay to work for
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 4, 2017
It has great employees, but management is usually lost and the pay isn't that great. They do offer a lot of sun activities and social events. But that's about it
productive and fun
Membership / Towing Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 14, 2017
The call center is very busy. We don't have enough people to do the job. They are in the process of hiring a lot more people. Sometimes there is not a lot of communication.
Pros
management is nice
Cons
parking is not good
what a joke!
Towing (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 3, 2017
This company is a joke! uneduncared Managers and Supervisors that show favoritism and promote those based on relationships versus productivity and merits.
Logevity means nothing! I've seen loyal employees that been with the company for 10 yrs get fired for coming back late from a break. Super micromanage at its highest. they call it "coaching" when it's really criticism. supervisors sit next to you while monitoring your phone calls. you have to ask to use the bathroom like a child in school. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worse enemy!
Pros
4 days on 3 days off
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BoatUS. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight