Boeing Employee Reviews

Found 5,829 reviews matching the search See all 6,058 reviews
Your future depends on how old you are
Engineer 4 (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2019
Over the years, Boeing, like most companies, has started to cater to the millennial over the seasoned employee. It's as if the company is betting their entire future on what these new employees may be able to provide vs. what the current employees do provide. If you're in your 40's, or above, your future is pretty much set in stone. Reaching a technical level 4 is probably it. Level 5's and above, as well as older level 4's, are always at risk of being tossed out due to the salary they're being paid. The company is trying to migrate to an average technical level somewhere between 3 and 4. Once you move from reviews that 'exceed expectations' to ones that simply say 'met expectations', you know your time is limited.

If you are willing to move into management your future is wide open. Staying in a technical track will never keep pace w/ the management track when it comes to salary and bonuses. Bonuses on the management side are nearly double that of the technical side. Side note, if you are female and/or a member of some sort of defined minority class then more possibilities exist now and into the future. Problem the company has now IMO is people who probably shouldn't even work there are taking the management track and it's starting to show in the decisions being made. Managers are rarely if ever put on the street for poor decisions, but, simply moved to other areas 'more fitting'.

Recent contract wins for military items have increased the number of technical opportunities present, but, you will work long hours with little to no overtime pay under a schedule
  more... that is not achievable. Your bonus will not make up for these long hours. Accolades will go to the management and exec levels at the expense of the technical levels. You will have to dial back your expectations of reality as well. Think you can get a project done in a year? No, better plan on three. And, it will be way over budget. All of these things will be out of your control.

For the most part your work will be judged on how well it looks in PowerPoint opposed to what actual contribution it has to the performance of the product or the bottom line. I've seen a number of technically bad ideas actually make it into a product. Some of the most basic of engineering concepts are lost on a number of both new, and, seasoned employees. Questioning these ideas will only bring shame upon yourself unless you're willing to really stand up to them and call them out for the junk science they are. Most are not willing to do this and simply keep quiet, or, leave the company.

Work output expectations from new hires is typically low. In fact most expectations are low when it comes to new hires. Show up when you want, leave when you want, Don't want to work on something? That's OK, here's something more interesting. I'll have the seasoned engineers do your real work for you.

An 80% solution to a problem is OK because the company will just propose to fix the other 20% in the next contract proposal. Then do only 80% of that requirement. On and on and on....Now you know why a hammer costs the government a million dollars. Why fix a problem when there is more money to be made in prolonging the problem.

2019 will be the first year where the company has a tiered plan when it comes to medical cost deductions. The less pay you make, the less you pay in medical premiums. Some will pay nothing this year. They say the executive level will pay the most but I seriously doubt that as there are typically employment contracts which dictate nearly all exec perks. For a number of years we had a no-cost HSA but the deductibles kept creeping up. This year we still have the high deductibles, but, there are monthly deductions now.

If you want to have children, 2019 and beyond is the year to do so. Three months of paid time off along w/ 12 weeks of FMLA as well as short and long term disability pay if you want to go that route. I would expect you could have a child, take 3 months off, work on making another and then in 9 months, take off again. Some people could do this a number of times and do little actual work all while getting full pay and bonuses. If you're spouse works there then these benefits apply to them as well.

If you make it 10 years at Boeing you will find it very difficult to move away from the company and expect to make something close to what you were making. They have really skewed the salaries in the area. The pay is above average for the area, especially considering the tasks that some do for the pay they make. There is a lot of dead weight around the company that for some reason, lives on. When they come through with the ax, it's not the fat they're trimming, it's just salaries.
Pros
Christmas shutdown, high pay for little work
Cons
Indecisive/bad management, few opportunities for older generation
Poor management
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 14, 2019
Now that I look back, my manager seemed, to me, to be unqualified to manage a program since the first day I got there. We were always behind schedule and encouraged to work overtime hours. After coming back from the Christmas/NYE break, I was laid off on my second day back. The reason was that my "job performance was poor." I asked why I was just hearing about this "issue" for the first time on the morning my work contract was being "terminated." My manager just said, "That's the way it is." I was shocked and upset because I saw how mis-managed this program was. I wondered why she was a manager. In the time I was there, I heard many stories of unqualified people being promoted to managers. I guess it is who you know and not a matter of ability or qualifications. I was really looking forward to having a good career/job but that just didnt happen. To this day I think I was lied to and laid off as a way of advancing somebody's career other than mine.
Pros
Pay, work enviorment
Cons
Poor management; lots of meetings
Great company; good managers, good environment, helpful to all
Systems and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Boeing Aerospace is a great company to work for. All sorts of opportunities and great people culture. Managers do great work to help all advance and grow. Promotions opportunities from within. Opportunities and programs for interns out of college. Bring your child to work day events once a year to show your family what the environment of work is like; and to introduce a child to the possibility of working in such a position in the future. Many paid opportunities for advancing your education and getting closer to your dream occupation/career.
Pros
Flexible hours were possible, Work remotely, Travel
Cons
Can't think of any
Not a good place to work but with decent benifits
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 13, 2019
Management has decided that they know how software development should be done after consulting with a contractor (Pivotal Software). As a result you can expect management to determine your hours on site, your dev environment and even if you get your own desk or get to share with a coding buddy. Wtf is a coding buddy?... Nothing good.

The environment is what you would expect from a company that needs to produce software but is not a software company. The result is a bizarre organization that has allowed an idiotic third party company and contractor (Pivotal Software) to tell them how to treat devs... and not for the better.

If you write software... STAY AWAY from the Boeing company they currently have no idea what they are doing and devs are fleeing as fast as they can. You can guess at the quality of devs that are left.

My first day the lead dev gave me the advice to find somewhere better to work... they left the next week for somewhere better themselves... it was Amazon.
Yeah, exactly, think about that.

I am currently working on finding somewhere better myself and absolutely regret having come to work for Boeing Bellevue. This isn't the review I wanted to write but it is the review I wish I had found and read before coming here.

From what I can tell most devs that have even a slight amount of skill come in and give them about 6 months till they find somewhere better and move on. The rest that stay... well you get to try to do their work for them as best as you can I guess.

Also, expect to work with a high amount of contract devs that have a high variance
  more... of skill. Some will be fine, others literally cannot write any code, at all and you will be doing their job for them as well... no joke.

It is THAT type of work place... STAY AWAY. You have been warned.
Pros
It will motivate you to find somewhere better to work?
Cons
Unless you live in Bellevue you will need to deal with the 405 in addition it is an isolated, gated, secuirty checked campus.
Dont even waste your time
Rapid deveolopment composite Tech (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 12, 2019
This is the worst company to work for in Aerospace. I was in Composites and I would say, don't even waste your time. Go to Northrop. This Company is a junk place to work.
Pros
Cons
Junk place to work
My experience will not be applicable to others
AerosPACE Program Participant (Former Employee) –  MultipleJanuary 12, 2019
I worked with Boeing for my senior project. The company provided direct training on aircraft design principles and programs, and oversaw our project development. They did not pay me, as I was not technically their employee, but I was able to work closely with several people in the company. Overall, I was impressed with the company's accomplishments.
Great
Summer Helping Hand (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJanuary 11, 2019
It was a great work place, everyone treated me great even though I was only there through a summer program. I worked two summers at Boeing, overall one of the best work places.
Good company with a lot of projects going on.
Software Manager (Current Employee) –  Ridley Park, PAJanuary 10, 2019
Many programs and projects in progress which creates opportunity for growth and recognition. Can be stressful at times due to demanding program management and constant pressure to do more with less. Workplace culture is usually friendly and collaborative but there can be competition between employees at times due to fewer promotions available and forced distribution of employee evaluations to identify below average employees.
Pros
Big company with ample resources
Cons
Stressful work environment
Few Advancement Opportunites
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ridley Park, PAJanuary 10, 2019
There is very little to no room to advance. Candidates for open positions (other than entry level) are almost always pre-selected. Matrix org results in some managers with no real job while others are drowning.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Very slow, lots of red tape, too many formal policies and procedures
great company
Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2019
Boeing is a high-paced technology company. I wish they could provide adequate support to the engineers to get their work done, but there is still an overriding system of managers and more managers. They seem confused when large numbers of younger engineers leave for better positions, but despite exit interviews that tell them what the issues are, nothing changes.
Pros
Instant company name recognition
Cons
lack of advancement potential.
Not what I expected
Marketing & Sales (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 9, 2019
There was a lot of over-time with out pay, no job training or preparation, and politics. It felt like a dog-eat-dog world in the Marketing culture and no teamwork ethics.
Pros
Learning about aviation and aerospace
Cons
A lot of overtime with no pay
Great Company to Work For
Strategic Planner (Current Employee) –  Seal Beach, CAJanuary 9, 2019
Depends on which organization you work in (as with every large company), but overall they have do a good job with vision and mission direction, work/life balance by providing virtual/working remote options, maternity leave for 60 days and more. However there was a strategy in the last year that shifted a majority of SoCal jobs out of state and caused a lot of turmoil internally with employees not feeling valued and safe. There is also a lot of bureaucracy and levels of mgmt to deal with on the job. The pay is not as strong as competitors but they boost of the benefits package to being strongly competitive. Hopefully they will adjust their strategies to enforcing a stronger employee appreciation and career options/stability for those that are strong performers.
Pros
Benefits, Virtual/Remote Working Options
Cons
Salary, Job stability based on contracts
good
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 8, 2019
Good work environment with a lot of perks. Perks included were being able to have lost of vacation time and lots of sick leave. You are able to flex hours so you can work whenever you want.
The Apache is what we supported and I enjoyed my job because of the Apache
Procurement Agent (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 7, 2019
Work your MRP create PO’s
Must be able to work as an individual with little or no assistance
Writing a justification for an order over $2500 plus
Recognition for customers and internal customers
Pros
Good paying and health benefits
Cons
Micro-managing; favoritism; no pension or contribution to 401
Great pay
Transportation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJanuary 7, 2019
Pays well and people are pretty nice, but I will tell you that the hiring process is long and detailed. No matter what position you're applying for, make sure your credit report is up to par, otherwise, you will not be considered. The background check is extremely in depth. I had no problems, but I know that some may run into some issues and I would advise not getting your hopes up and apply elsewhere, because there is no leniency.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
management
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 6, 2019
I enjoy working at Boeing. The hours may be long, but the pay is good and the benefits are great. There always seems to be a workload (at least in my department) that will keep you busy and allow you to take lead on special projects.
this review is for Boeing spectrolab
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CAJanuary 5, 2019
I had a manager that required to be sent to manager school due to his lack of people skills - still I learned a lot from him

the manufacturing actually threatened me - something I should have sued the company for

the work was interesting and somewhat unique

the ceo (dieter) was a cool guy -
Pros
international customers
Cons
some really bad managers
Challenging yet fun place to work. Great managerial staff!
Customer Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Management was second to none. A fantastic environment to learn the ins and outs of Instructional Design. Every member of our team had clear direction on each of the projects at hand. If we needed assistance at any point management would take the time to ensure the issue was clearly identified and resolved.
Boeing Workplace
Senior Supply Analyst, Buyer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 4, 2019
A typical day was stressful and led into the evenings as parts were needed 24/7. The compensation was incredible and it was a diverse environment. I enjoyed the challenge of the job.
Pros
insurance, profit sharing
Cons
Management was inconsistent
Engineer/Scientist (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 4, 2019
Good people, great mission, love what i do. But company can be too focused on the "process" rather than what makes sense. Management should let the engineering staff do what they was hired to do
Pros
work/life balance, interesting work
Cons
too structured

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boeing. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K

2.9InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight