Boeing

North Charleston, SC322 reviews

Clear

Found 111 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,906 reviews
airplaneaircraftaerospaceengineerengineeringbenefitlayoffopportunity

Great co-workers and meaningful work

The people that work here are great. Management can be a bit slow to promote hard-working employees. The work is meaningful and cool! Great benefits and 401k match!

What is the best part of working at the company?Building the DreamlinerWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Working with upper management who does not value you What is the work environment and culture like at the company?In most cases enjoyable and rewarding. However, there are times when it can get stressful What is a typical day like for you at the company?When I was there, I loved the smiling faces of the employees when a major task was accomplished

Boeing insights

Based on 2,968 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Great company had great teams

Daily job depends on your roles, if you want to contribute more, you always find much more improvement.Work honestly and strongly will bring more joy and contribution.Watch out the safety issue and any concern to speak up, keep safe and clean in our work zone.Hard part is this giant company, it means you have to learn more policy and project information, work flow and management systems. But all of these are the great opportunities to built self-learn.

Was awesome

Beginning was great. There was a team feeling that went from the top to the floor. Not sure why it changed, but I know when. A yes man suddenly became the model employee and those who showed better production methods or showed potential were ignored. Hang it up if someones skill set exceeds that of an insecure manager. Instead of embracing the value of the employee, they will knife you in the back without a thought. Not all management is bad, actually many in the positions are great people but few have leadership skills and that is a big issue. People cover there butts and fear taking accountability for thier actions or the actions of the team. A program has authority or the reality of the floor. Lean manufacturing is pushed in training and ignored on the floor. Again, I know it sounds all bad. It is not. The bad there though is pretty bad. Personally, I was behind many process improvements and money saving changes that made an impacts on bottom lines. I witnessed and discovered that some people (two from management and one mechanic) actually took credit for my ideas and process improvements. As bad as I make it sound, I enjoyed most of my of my time there. I learned alot and even though credit was often ignored or took by others, it was satisfying to see my ideas and improvements being implemented. All in all, I would do it all over and not change a thing. If your a yes man and can roll with the flow, this is a great place. If you hate waste and will challenge the process and continually look to make it better, I suggest be prepared for pushback or worst if you have a weak -

Busy workday that keeps you engaged.

Always something to do. Working on the airplane can be fun but also demanding. Management is hit or miss. Plenty of time off through out the year. Well compensated for what we do.

Too many people trying to succeed without knowledge.

Boeing Notth Charleston facility needs new management to correct the quality issues. The people who are manufacturing the 787 need to realize the importance of quality.

Pros

Cons

Extreme stress.

Good company with endless opportunity

Great company to work for, but its run by "who you know" instead of "what you know" as far as being hired for different job roles. Management can also use improvement

Pros

Endless job opportunities

Cons

Poor management and difficult policies

It is a good company with good benefits,

I was in management and the benefits were excellent. I had health insurance and 401k plan. It was fair in treating employees. I had to cover on weekends but it was fair.

Best Days Are Behind

Not the company it used to be. Executives care more about wall street than main street. 737 MAX crashes have forever stained the company, but BA is to big to fail.

Great people and culture, slow communication

Enjoyed two internships with Boeing. First was doing stress analysis and was pretty slow. Second was in a manufacturing role that was more active but with established routines. They really encouraged interns and young employees to learn from executives within the company. They also support a variety of resource groups for women, minorities, and young professionals, among others.

Pros

Supportive and insightful executives, active young professionals group, relocation assistance for interns

Cons

Poor communication for intern to entry-level conversion, uncertain commercial airplanes outlook

this place sucks

all the care about is numbers all they care about is production and getting product out the door quauilty is the last thing on there mind not a fair place to work

Historic company marred by poor leadership

When I first started with the company, I referred friends to jobs all the time. Boeing has systematically moved jobs to India or outsourcing when possible. Leadership listens to overpaid consultants and not to its own employees. This causes them to make decisions that do not end well. Most recently is IT outsourcing all infrastructure operations to Dell, which has continued to crush morale and drive great employees elsewhere. The company goes through feast and famine... famine is usually self inflicted injury because leadership wanted an extra delivery.

Pros

Pay, benefits, Pto, 401k matching

Cons

Job insecurity, executive leadership, bureaucracy

Two faced company

They are so backwards and upside down. This job will age you with stress.They tell you how to do the work but when you find problems in the engineering, it comes back to be your fault. It is never engineerings fault.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

You dont matter

Buddy-Buddy Club ONLY!!!!!!

Work experience at Boeing was absolutely horrible! You have to hand it to them for making it seem like it's this great place to work when the reality of it, it's NOT! Actual work is always rushed and more than likely your manager isn't going to be on your side. Filled with empty promises especially when it comes to safety. Employees don't matter when Boeing is trying to get "X" amount of millions per plane because a customer is waiting on a delayed plane build. So, disagreement with a manager whether it's a safety concern or not, YOU WILL LOSE THAT BATTLE! Doesn't matter if that manager just got that position yesterday or a year ago! Now my personal favorite about Boeing is the pay. This is were the "Buddy-Buddy" club comes to play. If you are constantly up in the managers face or doing consistent favors, you have a bright future at Boeing. Same with the females as well. Since majority of the managers at male dominant, a female in there presents really makes their day. If you look a certain way, you will get more overtime and/or promoted faster than the norm. With that being said, if you think you can join the club, more power to you. I personally like jobs to where I'm paid off my work and not my social status!!!!!!!

Beautiful product - Glad to be apart of the 787 program

Overall great experience - my team was very diverse in their respective backgrounds and supportive of everything i wanted to take on. However management is very number driven - i will never forget my experience at Boeing SC - the job is bigger than any individual and the product is amazing

Would not recommend!

Huge buddy system....if your a black female, don't bother! I love my career, this was just horrible company to work for. (Boeing South Carolina) Walked on eggshells daily.

It was a Job

I enjoyed the work, but not upper management. Some managers did not have any experience working on aircraft, or how the systems worked together. It was frustrating trying to get certain managers understand why you could not get a job completed, because they don't even know how the aircraft functioned. Some Flight line managers did not have their A&P, but were over A&P mechanics, with no knowledge of the product they were managing. Its like anywhere with management some were the best people I have ever worked for then you had the opposite, as well. Big Company, pay was great, decent benefits, better 401k match than a lot of companies, HR is not your friend, Worked with some awesome people, made some life long friends, loved the work itself, but came with lots of headaches too.

Ok for the time spent

It was a ok job had fun company is having issues not looking great but to big to fail go for hopefully better in the future anything else read the other reviews

Poor Review

Boeing did not provide for family/work balance. Management was poor. Advancement was unavailable. Assistance with paperwork and Total Access was dismal.

Dynamic Work Environment

New commercial airplane assembly; active delivery center and customer interactions. Fast paced, collaborative and supportive teaming approach to problem solving.

Pros

New facilities and decent pay

Cons

Sometimes conflicting management agendas

Big Corporate Unfairness and Shady Practices

Favoritism runs rampant. Its not what you know, or what you can do. Its who you know. So many hard working, good people are overlooked, and not given what they deserve. Such unfair treatment. Unstable management on ALL levels. I averaged 3-5 different managers per year, while employed during my 10 years there. Only twice during my entire tenure did I have the same manager for an entire year. With so many different managers it is impossible to get a fair yearly pay raise review. They "copy and paste" managers from different organizations that know very little about their new management job/organization. Since management does not know the job, they do not know what their employees can do. Management only knows what their employees can do by word of mouth, whether it is true or untrue as told by peers. Its VERY rare that you have a manager start at entry level, doing what a new employee would do, and work their way up from the bottom to the top of the SAME work organization. Employee developing and coaching is nonexistent. Leadership provides no motivation and does not lead by example. Nobody is held accountable here. There is no discipline enforced. This has created a lazy and careless work environment that is contagious to new hires. There are too many obvious miserable employees working here, and that is contagious to ALL employees. Now they have started back with a shift preference. Longer tenured employees can change to their desired shift preference by their lower employee number. These changes affect "on the floor working employees" for the whole site, and changes too many -