Boingo Wireless Employee Reviews

Lack of strong leadership
Director of Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
Many of the people that are put at Management have minimal experience leading teams, the primary purpose of a leader is to lead the strategy and inspire teams to do more,
There is minimal inspiration that comes from those leaders.
Great Job But....
Senior Network Engineer/Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2018
Great place to work. I loved my job. I traveled 50% of the time . The workplace culture was a bit to relaxing and did not match my determination .
A typical day would include way to many conference calls and not enough action.
A few managers had issues with woman in engineering roles which was extremely disheartening.

There was a lot of freedom in this job that too many people took advantage of .
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Micromanagement
Boingo is a great place to work
Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 7, 2018
Boingo is definitely a fun place to work with some amazing benefits. Massages, monthly happy hrs, weekly yoga, weekly meditation classes, fully-stocked kitchen, unlimited PTO, fun random events...etc.
good company
Field Engineer/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2018
this is a good company to work for. The support and tech is 2nd to none.This is a growning face paced company so I am self motivated and ready to travel to different venues.
Clueless In LA
Contractor/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Worked there for a couple of month on contract for 20-30 hours per week and then they just wanted the work done in half the time. The managers at Boingo were absolutely clueless. Once they got what they needed from you they tossed you like trash. I would never recommend this terrible company to anyone!
Pros
Cons
Bad ethics
Hard work and fun
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CADecember 18, 2017
It was both hard work and fun most of the time. The flexible schedule allowed me to balance work and family life, and also to alleviate my commute. I could leave my place very early and avoid heavy traffic both ways.
Typical day begins before I leave for work. I'll check email if there haven't been any emergency call or email or text about server failure or server minor malfunction. In case of emergency I have access to the servers through VPN. Also the servers all have out of band management subsystems allowing access to the server even when it's powered off.
To sum it up, I'll say my typical day was spent monitoring and troubleshooting servers.
The culture at Boingo was a good balance.
Pros
Good team work, good benefits
Cons
Management issues sometimes
Amazing Company
Technical Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 9, 2017
By far the best company I have worked for. There is nothing bad I have to say about Boingo. Every day is a positive challenge and the coworkers are amazing
Field Operations Manager, NC (Former Employee) –  East USSeptember 26, 2017
Office workers in LA have an amazing work place. Remote Field Operations Teams have no life. Most all out of LA workers in the Operations Division are on call 24/7 365 days a year. Over worked with avg. weekly hours of 60 plus w/ no OT or compensation.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
No time off
Ideal
Wi-Fi Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mid Atlantic (VA, DC & MDSeptember 10, 2017
Fulfilling, balanced and very rewarding/productive... Boingo and by a long mile, is the best company that I have ever worked for and I find great pleasure in going to work every day.
Growing Pains
Operations (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAJuly 4, 2017
On the outside, it seems like a good company. Competitive pay rates, unlimited vacation, parties, swag, etc etc, but once you get past the candy shell, you'll find the inside to be a bit rotten. Management is struggling with growth and not adjusting well to change in infrastructure. There are several tenured decision makers who cannot keep pace with the times, let alone the technology. The stress level is unhealthy, the expectations are that you do not have an outside life, and taking time for family/health/etc is highly frowned upon. There is no work life balance.
Pros
unhealthy snacks for free!
Cons
bad management, bad work life balance
Solutions to what people need
Vice President of Product Management (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 9, 2017
Accessing information is always easy at Airports thanks to Boingo Wireless. The connections through Wii are secured, enabling professionals to do their work with complete peace-of-mind.
IPTV Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Great place to work overall.

Job/Life balance- 4 stars
Compensation/benefits - 5 stars
Job security/advancement - 3 stars
Management - 3 stars
Job Culture - 5 stars
Upper Management Clue Less
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 21, 2015
Normal work day, 10 to 14 hours 24/7 even if you are not working 24/7. Working in the field at government facilities, no perks like you have at the main office in California. Working with no directives from management, no training, learn as you go. Directors have no clue of what the projects realistic timelines are. When the project does not meet the timelines promised to government entities, upper management blames the guys out in the field. Upper managements is not held accountable.
Pros
If you work in HQ you get all the perks, cluless of the real Boingo.
Cons
Dont work out in the field, work at HQ as a mushroom.
Boingo is great!
Broadband Field Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 30, 2015
If given the opportunity, I would never leave a company like Boingo.

I manage every aspect of a wireless network across several military and civilian agency locations in GA.

Fort Gordon, Fort Stewart, Hunter Army Airfield, Glynco FLETC and Charleston FLETC.

I build relationships with everyone I can on a base and try to develop those relationships to ensure we are successful throughout or contract/stay with them.

I plan upgrades and implement changes to the network almost automatically.

I also manage several VP's and Sr. VP's on a day to day basis. Since there is high visibility within a public company, it is a must to make sure that each is managed in a way that they have all of their numbers straight and facts ready. Probably the hardest part of my day.
Pros
Excellent challenges!
Cons
No advancement
Unique and fast pace company
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2015
Boingo Wireless is a great place to work at and lots to learn. If you are willing to work hard a promotion is not out of reach. Many new technology and a huge network....always new and exciting projects down the pipeline
Pros
Awesome place to learn new technology
Cons
Commute
ok
Customer Service Bilingual Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMay 25, 2015
answer a lot of calls, nice co-workers from different parts of the planet, hours are not very good, I enjoy speaking my native language.
Pros
speak other languages
Cons
time and life balance
Break through technology Great Culture
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles. CAApril 27, 2015
This was my second successful start-up.
Technology was cutting edge and the people were fantastic. I met some of my best friends at Boingo and still help them out from time to time.

I was fortunate to have lots of stock options.

My only reason for leaving was the long commute.
Pros
Great people, Great Technology
Cons
Long Commute
Awesome Company
Business Intelligence Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 6, 2013
Everybody in the company enjoys where they work. This was an amazing experience learning to work in this environment.
Productive day with free snacks, ping-pong table.
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Westwood, CASeptember 23, 2012
good place to work. good working environment.
employee fun tournaments, free lunches bi-weekly,
sponsored events.
Pros
free lunches every other week
Cons
no work from home options.
Senior Product Marketing Manager/Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2012
I enjoyed my time at Concourse Communications/Boingo Wireless.
Pros
good benefits.
Cons
smaller company.