Boly:Welch Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Boly:Welch is a great Temp Agency
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 6, 2018
Boly:Welch is a great temp agency, the recruiters do their best to place you in postings that fit your skills and career goals. There can be long waits between the longer assignments however. They also offer benefits for long term employees.
Horrible communication
Temp (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 25, 2017
Worked with BW on and off. In the past, they seemed to care about fit, and culture. Yet, they post positions that might fit your background perfectly, and won't provide ANY communication if they don't like something about your application. You might have every base covered that they list, but if there is something they didn't even mention that was missing, they will just remove all transparency, and not communicate with you.
Two quick examples: Communicated with one supervisor that indicated that a technical background might fit better at a few other local agencies, yet there were a few positions they post that required many of the same technical skills. I inquired about those, and was simply told they "couldn't move forward". Nothing that was obvious, no prior problems that I could see, just that.
On another occasion, a friend recommended me speaking highly of them, so I acquiesced and gave them another chance. The recruiter asked to be connected with me, and told my friend they wanted to bring me in right away. I followed up on the introductory email, and heard nothing.
While there might be something they don't like about say a LinkedIn profile, or resume, I think a certain level of transparency is desired. If you claim you want "good fit" and someone meets every checkbox you outline in a job description, then it is on you to be more clear as a recruiter. If you say you want to bring someone in, and then fail to get in touch, then you are the one at fault. BW to me seems like it is an agency of snakes.
Pros
They put on a good front?
Cons
Inconsistent, low transparency, and very passive agressive
Great Job or Greatest Job Ever?
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 19, 2017
I've worked at Boly:Welch for a few years and keep waiting for the other shoe to drop -- sure, it's a dog-friendly office, but there must be something wrong with it, right? Nope. As advertised, it's a truly Portland, women-dominant, family-friendly, sustainable, ethical B Corps with a passionate inter-generational workforce, supportive management team, and tons of opportunity to give back and get involved. The benefits are great (12 days to volunteer a year, world class parties, in-house massages, etc., etc.) and the people are even better.

It's not a process-driven culture, so it can be a little challenging to measure what we do, but I feel strongly that everyone does great work and really cares about their clients and candidates. There are a lot of inherent biases against recruiting and staffing agencies (people pushers, headhunters, putting warm bodies in open roles), but I like to think Boly:Welch turns those stereotype on its head. I hope all of our candidates and clients find a fit as good as Boly:Welch -- it's been the best job I've ever had.
Pros
Dogs <3, lots of healthy benefits, strong team, lots of continuing education options
Cons
Commissions subject to market fluctuations - can be a pro too
The absolute best place to work!
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 15, 2017
It's been almost seven years since I started working at Boly:Welch. I have learned an incredible amount about the companies and industries in Portland, as well as hiring trends and how to identify top talent. Management is nimble, fair and realistic. They encourage new ideas and professional growth, as well as truly caring about each and every one of us. The entire company works collaboratively to match great talent to the Portland market.

The hardest part of the job is allowing for nuances of the human spirit. More specifically, managing people's expectations. Candidates and companies all have expectations for finding a great job/great candidate, both long term and for temporary roles, too. It is our responsibility to make professional matches that are meaningful and that meet requirements for both parties. When that all comes together, it is a fabulous feeling. When a candidate tells me I have helped them find their 'dream job' and the company praises our efforts in identifying the 'perfect candidate,' I couldn't feel any more fulfilled.
Amazing agency, if you make the cut
Temporary Worker (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 18, 2017
Boly:Welch is notoriously selective with their temporary candidates, but if you give your best, they'll take amazing care of you. Everyone I've worked with is professional and smart and almost all the positions I've had through them have been at great companies and organizations.

I highly recommend giving them a try! Just be aware that their standards for professionalism are very high. They survey their clients after your position ends to get a review, and if the client isn't happy (especially if it's one of your first couple of assignments), you'll be moved to the backburner and won't see a lot of work. They'll tell you things are just slow, but you're basically out.

But if you're polished and professional and have strong skills and think you'd enjoy having some (unpaid) time off once in a while, there's simply nobody better.
Pros
Great company, great staff, great clients
Cons
Tend to freeze out people who don't meet their high standards
Warm and professional placement company
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 11, 2016
The three star ratings are because this is a temp company, and your milage may vary regarding compensation and job security.

The staff are warm, professional, and respond promptly to inquiries. They have good connections in Portland. It is also a B-Corporation business.
Poor placement and poor attitudes
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2013
Poor quality placement when fitting the right candidate with the right employer. I've worked with many temp agencies, but only have had issues with this one. If I tell them I can only work on one side of town, they contact me for a job on the one side of town I told them I cannot work on because it is too far away. They are more focused on the employer's needs rather than the candidates which is half of their clientele. The pay is mediocre at best, but they do have lots of job placement.
Pros
more likely to put you to work right away
Cons
untrustworthy, doesn't pay attention to your needs
Great placement agency to work with when looking for jobs in the legal field
Trial Secretary (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2013
They placed me on a temporary assignment which resulted in permanent full time employment for the next 7 years
Informative, supportive
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 18, 2012
As a temporary employee, I would offer support to companies in need of a receptionist or legal secretary on a temporary basis.
Pros
able to learn many different computer systems
Recruiter that works hard at matching my skillset with ideal job
Boly:Welch Recruiters (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 25, 2012
Two separate one week temporary job assignments. The first assignment was for a Transportation-Air industry. The second was for a High Tech computer security corporation.
Pros
being employed and appreciating new things learned
Cons
job assignment was too short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boly:Welch. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss