Bon-Ton Employee Reviews

Very customer and community oriented.
Sales Associate, Full Time (Current Employee) –  Doylestown, PA 18901August 14, 2018
I have many return customers that look for me because I give them excellent service. In fact I received an abundance of customer compliments in various forms. Was in Bon Ton's pamphlets a number of times as a top seller out of Bon Ton's 293 stores.
Great for new working teens
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Howell, MIAugust 12, 2018
A good place for high school students to work and learn organization, communication, numeracy, and patients skills as well as learning the ways of how a store works.
Bonton is an amazing company to work for with great leadership and tons of positive reinforcement given to their employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MAAugust 9, 2018
Bonton cared about each and every customer and employee. The training is in depth and there is always room for advancement and change in the work place. There is always something to do and new to learn. They follow strict rules allowing appropriate lunch times and compensate breaks. They have daily morning meetings to keep all employees well informed with everything goin on within the company. It prides itself on being clean, well cultured and a great experience for every customer. No one is allowed to leave the store unhappy. It is an amazing company to work for and it is extremely sad that it is going under,
Was a very nice store
Sales (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 6, 2018
Our store was very nice. Was part of the Carsons / Bergners group. Too much debt and not enough action to close non producing stores let to its downfall.
Could have been better
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 6, 2018
Providing Customer service itself was very rewarding. BonTon is out of business now due to mis-management from top to bottom. Customers were treated poorly during so-called sales, online orders, returns, cheap products.

Management for call centers were horrible. So-called training was a joke. You were placed on the floor after 4 days of training if you were ready or not. Most were not ready. Agents were told specifically NOT to talk to Managers (only to text them through chat) you were humiliated and belittled for not knowing.

I felt for customers who ordered glassware online as gifts only to find it delivered with no protection and shattered.
Pros
Work hours available
Cons
Treated like trash
I worked customer service call center from home
Customer Service Agent Ecommerce (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 6, 2018
A great place to work. Unfortunately the company filed bankruptcy chapter 11 and is now closing all the stores for good. It is a sad loss. awesome customers
Pros
customers, discount
Cons
they closed
Good stater job
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDAugust 6, 2018
I’ve worked for BonTon for roughly 3 years, the hours are long because many employees call off or don’t come in, Management is easy to get along with except for the general manager and HR they sit in their offices way too much. You have to solicit charge accounts otherwise you get into trouble.
Pros
Breaks are adequate
Cons
Short staffed
excellent and accommodating to my needs
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYAugust 6, 2018
Excellent and organized atmosphere. I enjoyed assisting the customers and meeting all types of people. My Manager ran a tight ship but that was why our flagship store was successful. Today, near the closure of the store, there isn't a day that goes by where each and every customer that I assist is in mourning about the store closure. We had a strong customer base and the store will truly be missed.
Pros
discounts / coworkers / awesome customers
Cons
commission - would prefer non commission - low base salary
was great while it lasted
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 4, 2018
Compensation wasn't the best but the other employees were amazing. Could be a fun and challenging place to work. It was fun while it lasted but unfortunately the company is closed.
Typical retail environment that was unable to integrate a successful, interactive online presence to augment and compliment the brick and mortar.
Shoe Selling Supervisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarence, NYAugust 3, 2018
The company is in bankruptcy and was purchased by a liquidation company. although the region I worked in was profitable, there are other stores that were not.
Retail
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYAugust 2, 2018
It’s a normal retail job. There’s nothing to it. Just folding clothes, stocking, etc. it’s for a starter that’s looking to make money quickly, not for career paths.
very challenging and rewarding place to work
Receiving/Shipping/Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 31, 2018
The BonTon gave me the freedom to become better in every aspect of being a supervisor and increasing my ability in the maintenance aspect of my job. I enjoyed the challenge of my many different responsibilities and learned to delegate when needed and to use my time wisely. I grew as a supervisor by being allowed to be included in the interviewing process and also the disiplinary process
Pros
freedom to show my abilities.
Cons
my workforce quality was very limited because of the pay they offered them, and my working hours were constantly being cut because of budget cuts.
Sucks
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJuly 29, 2018
I worked alone in a women's department and put to be in charge of opening and closing three registers by myself with 1 and a half days of training. It was stressful and tiring.
Pros
I usually worked the same hours as a friend in a different dept.
Cons
Pretty much everything
The Bon Ton was family
Area Sales Manager, Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  York, PAJuly 28, 2018
I have enjoyed working for the Bon Ton. I have gained a lot of management skills during my 19 years of service. My typical day consisted of prioritizing a to do list to keep me on track but most times there were unforeseen events to prevent me from completing the list. The list was carried into the next day.The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the customers to the best of my ability. I have gained several regulars that would specifically ask for my assistance during their shopping excursions. The hardest part of my job was having to reprimand associates for any wrong doings. Although I overcame that by presenting the documentation in a way as helping them as opposed to being critical.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2018
I loved it everyone is friendly and helpful when u don’t understand it’s always someone available To Help Answer Any Question and solve and Problems Nothing Never Goes Unnoticed
Could be a great place to work.
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHJuly 27, 2018
During the holiday season we would have to meet goals and if we did we would get an extra $2 every hour we worked. We were off every weekend except during the holiday season.
Cons
Peak season
some people were worth going to work for
Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 25, 2018
the hardest part of the job was management. the best part of the job was some of the people i worked with.

i learned how to work with owners and presidents of companies
Pros
Cons
management
worst store I have ever worked for
Cosmetic Sales (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJuly 24, 2018
Company had a serious problem with lying! I even saw one of my coworkers to pay roll check bounced! The company lost a lot of money in advertising. Why
Loved Management
Retail Selling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 23, 2018
I loved the people that I worked with! We had the best group of managers. It is really sad that the company went bankrupt because I am going to miss working with my co-workers.
Nice place to work
Cash Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 22, 2018
A typical day at work involved providing support for all the Departments on the Sales Floor as a Cash Office Associate. The workplace culture was very, very busy, during certain events, and competitive in some departments.The most enjoyable part of my job at the time was being of service. What I learned as a former employee of this organization after returning as a Cash Office Associate (14 years later) is how isolated I felt working as a Cash Office Associate instead of a Selling Associate on the Sales floor in the Women's Studio. An opportunity to interact with co-workers and be among our customers on the Sales Floor was most gratifying.
Pros
Good Management team very helpful, favorable employees to work with, great Employee discounts
Cons
Benefits were not available for a less than 20 hr a week associate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bon-Ton. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight