Bon Secours Employee Reviews

great experience
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 22, 2019
there was always something exciting at this hospital. working on the ICU floor help me with my phlebotomy skills. this was the hardest wing in the hospital. The patient were so I'll sometimes you could barely find a vein so one thing you learned was team work
Chaotic, inexperienced management
Home health (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 20, 2019
It is interesting how no one from home health care is commenting, but here it is: Unorganized home health office, dont provide enough training for newcomers. Claims to be faith based but it's the worst gossip and backstabbing pit. Poor leadership, lock of support for field staff. Office hires any breathing soul, very poor communication, poor treatment of new staff. Staff that is not friendly, not professional. Too many friends/ family members in the office.
Too many missed, unscheduled visits for patients that need our nurses and therapists.
Quantity over quality. For field employees getting paid for 40 hours, working 80/week.
Cannot rate CEO because she is unaware what was and continues and how unsatisfying this environment was.
Cons
Poor poor not caring leadership. overworking. 40 hr pay with 60+ hours of work/ week.
Beats unemployment
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAMarch 19, 2019
Upper management has no strategic plan in place for growing a successful business. Policies often conflict. Rules do not apply to all. Puts financial success over patient care.
Workplace
Director of Resident Services (Former Employee) –  St. Clair Shores, MIMarch 19, 2019
Nice facility. The staff worked hard. This has been sold to a new health care provider and it is no longer non profit. This was a catholic facility and that made a difference.
Insurance Verification Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 18, 2019
This is a fast pace job that requires you to pay attention to detail. Knowledge of insurances are very helpful and be prepared to acquire alot of medical information.
Medical Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAMarch 18, 2019
I worked there 11 years never written and was let go. I did receive my unemployment for 26 weeks if this tells you anything! No fun times there an would not even listen to your ideas! There was no fun there and the upper management was unfair. Put it this way I knew I was going to be let go by teams leads, my desk was packed up 2 weeks as I hear I would be the next for her to have me gone!
Very pleased in this job
Perioperative nurse (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 16, 2019
My job was in perioperative area. I did not do floor nursing in this hospital. There was a new SV every 2-3 years in the past 15 until the past 4 years. The one they have now has grown into the position and is encouraging and fair minded. Overall, the staff is excellent, really taking an interest in the patient. The administration also has given positive feedback on a personal level when earned. However, there is not a lot of room to advance. The biggest negative is they don't really seem to care to get input from staff to improve on areas. I left due to relocating close to family.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Opinions do not count much
Dangerous environment
Charge Nurse - Acute Care Psychiatric Unit (Former Employee) –  Port Jervis, NYMarch 15, 2019
I joined Bon Secours when I moved from Wayne, NJ to Sussex County. I obtained a NY and PA license just in case. Bon Secours is very close to my home. They had an inpatient psych unit that had been converted from another setting. It lacked basic safety features. I enjoyed my work there until a patient was admitted who was entirely inappropriate for this setting. The entire staff including myself begged the psychiatrists to commit him as quickly as possible. Unfortunately they chose not to do so and to make a long story short one of our in-patient staff was beaten to death and another staff member was gravely and permanently disabled.
Pros
Work that I was skilled in, fair pay and close to home
Cons
The hospital was, at the time I worked there, rural in nature and unschooled.
Bon Secours
Senoir Analyst, Resolute (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 15, 2019
Bon Secours is a great to place to work and there is flexibility to learn different things other than what your primary role is within the organization.
Loved working there
Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 14, 2019
I loved working at DePaul Medical Center. The company really values their employees and patients. The patient load was reasonable. They provided excellent health/dental/vision benefits. I loved my co-workers and manager.
Pros
reasonable workload
Cons
old hospital
RN - Med/Surg (Current Employee) –  Port Jervis, NYMarch 13, 2019
Nurses are team players, everyone helps each other. New nurses are given good support system. People do stay there so its not always easy to get the position you want at first. Most positions are under 1199 union which is a great union, with excellent benefits. Non-union benefits are not as good but are decent from what I have been told.
Pros
Self scheduling, great insurance through 1199, decent pay
Cons
usual nursing - hard to get breaks
Safety
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAMarch 13, 2019
They can be more mindful of the register SAFETY in the front of the ER. At least allowing the registrar to sit behind the desk while signing in patient.
Wonderful place to work with top notch culture.
HRIS - Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 12, 2019
Bon Secours is a place I would highly recommend to anyone either looking to get their foot in the door to an amazing organization or continue their career in a place that truly values it's employees.
Pros
Mission focused, amazing culture
great working place
Volenteer (Former Employee) –  Port Jervis, NYMarch 10, 2019
i volentered at the hospital and i was always moving around and helping workers when the needed thing i also worked in the kitchen and worked in the mail room
Pros
great people
Cons
get breaks
Love the people i work with,but pay has got to be higher.
Patient Assistant/Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 8, 2019
The lowest paying out of all the medical institutions. They constantly lose great workers because of this. If you don't have to feed your family this pay might be ok. The health insurance is high and takes a large chunk out of your pay check.
Managers are under a lot of stress from their managers to cut overtime and micromanage every little thing.
Pros
Mission statement
Cons
Lack of pay
Practices at bon secours
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tappahannock, VAMarch 4, 2019
All Companies have their cliques and when you don't fit in them your job situation suffers. The first 2 weeks I was hired as a office manager I knew I would never run the show. The old manager was continuously linking the staff checking up on me. It made a true divide in our office. The staff that supported me was good to me. The staff that supported the old manager (who was in administration now) just made my job hard. The Drama was like High School again. The staff made up lies about me and I could never defend myself because My boss did not want to hear it. The mean girl staff wanted me gone and that's exactly what they got. I have never been treated so badly in my life as I was at Bon Secours. I have never had anything but excellent evaluations and I pride myself and getting along with everyone but this group of ladies Nurses made it impossible. The administration looks out for each other and will not help you if you have an issue with another supervisor. I came in a many mornings to them discussing my health issues which violates my rights. Also, I work for my PCP and before I got out of the room with the Dr one of the nurses told all the staff I had a tumor on my spine. So everyone knew when I came out of the room from being seen that I had a tumor. I told my supervisor what had happened and she said she has nothing to do with that. I saw the specialist the following week. The day after seeing him I was putting in my FMLA Because I was going to have surgery in 2 weeks of that day. My supervisor and another supervisor ask me to come to her office so I did and w/in 5 min  more... I was terminated. The excuse was not fit to do my job. So much for Bon Secours having a heart for someone who worked for them for 12 years. So instead of helping me get better I became a Liability and I was out. I had just helped our office pass our very first State Compliance. Almost 1 year of working 15 hour days on salary.Coming in on weekends. Cleaning and hauling stuff to dump. Making all new policy and procedure books and manuals.Making sure we knew all the information we needed to know and running a practice while this office overhaul was taking place. I was told the staff could not help because of we could not pay them overtime and that if they worked they had to be paid. So all I heard if not done its going to fall on you. That was the Thanks I got for devotion. Bon Secours let me down in a big way. They caused hardship to my family 1500 Cobra insurance for me to continue my insurance. If they treat employees like this in time of need imagine the patients care. My situation was unfair and poor management. I am still considering a law suite and probably would have by now if I was not recovering from surgery. If you have a any concerns express them. Maybe Bon Secours little town offices will be cleared out of their little cliques and more professional Supervisors will be hired in their place that remember the mission Bon Secours is suppose to stand for. The Catholic Sisters that started Bon Secours are very disheartened by today's way of thinking. Its about the money and numbers and not patient care. SHAME ON YOU BON SECOURS!  less
Pros
Some great staff & Providers
Cons
wore out Staff and Providers
Work place
Patient Service Representative (PSR) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 3, 2019
Overall good environment sometimes a little stressful. Great Doctor to work for. Great facilities always clean, religious and community oriented good incentives.
Pros
Religious Base
Cons
Management could be better
not much variety in job duties
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 3, 2019
I wish there was more variety in the job positions. You get stuck in doing one thing and there is no rotation of responsibilities. The culture of Bon Secours is changing, and I do not think I want to continue to be a part of the new culture
Poor management causing employees to flee
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 27, 2019
All I have to say, is the management is the worst I've ever experienced. The lack of compassion and heartlessness I have encountered from management has left a very bad taste in my mouth with Bon Secours. Nurses have quit nursing because of the poor management and treatment from both direct and upper management. Nurses will have 5-6 patients when the max they're supposed to have is 4. Management doesn't take any complaints seriously about units and it's very dangerous.
Pros
Teamwork amongst coworkers
Cons
No sick days; poor management
Challenging, heavily regulated industry in transition - for me, fun
Business Development Manager/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAFebruary 27, 2019
Challenging, multi-layered work environment, ever changing. I was a non-clinical employee of a regional health system.

For me, there was no typical day, however, I might, in the course of a day, write, research, meet with employers, meet their employees, meet physicians, meet other marketers, benefits brokers, HR leaders.

The work that I did could include writing patient-centered materials, consulting with employers on their Wellness initiatives, creating and measuring email campaigns to employers and/or to their employees, developing strategic plans for the coming year... or standing at a health fair, encouraging participants to care just a little bit more about their health with my company's help.
Pros
what I do matters
Cons
my work is better understood by customers than colleagues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bon Secours. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight