BONITA HOUSE

United States26 reviews

Clear

managementworkgreatworkingclienthousepaybonita

Don’t walk, run!

Bonita house has lost its way. It’s in a transition phase right now. There’s maybe 5 good people that work here. It doesn’t have a positive work culture. At the moment it’s lacking direction.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Disorganized, no real connection or purpose

Supportive staff

Great supportive leadership environment. Staff and managers very supportive with clients and other staff. Very team oriented. Great establishment to work at

BONITA HOUSE insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Not worth your time

Not at all worth your time to work for this company. The work culture is toxic, very conservative and hostile for those who are not in their 60s and looking for a place to retire. Most clinicians stay until licensed and move to another place to receive good pay. There is no formal training other than to make assessments, so you are expected to navigate Alameda County Behavioral Health without a supervisor (never available). No raises until after several years of working for the company. Caseloads are about 30 per person, with a 80% productivity rate or about 5.5 hours of billable services per workday. Meetings span about 15 hours per week, so it makes meeting billable hour requirements difficult. Management denies disability accommodations.

The case management program is going under. High level of needs clients who need a higher level of care team with staff support

ManagementIn general, managers at BONITA HOUSE don’t know the county.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at BONITA HOUSE is little during COVID.OverallMy experience working at BONITA HOUSE has been stressful. When I heard case management is bleeding money and references that some staff are not the best fit for working with the higher level of needs clients I left. HR has trouble hiring qualified candidates.

supportive staff

Everyone understands the stress involved in the job and is very supportive. Management is looking for ways to help support staff in accomplishing goals and meet the client's needs. Staff was very compassionate and took client's on as individuals each unique not only in their symptoms but also in the way the symptoms are treated. Staff is caring and understanding. The approach is as a team effort in managing the care of people with severe mental symptoms and substance abuse disorders.

Great opportunity to learn and execellent trainig resources

Overall, Bonita House is a wonderful place to work and a very diverse company. Staff really cares about clients and everyone works together as a whole.

Pros

Excellent benefits, training, bonuses and lunches.

Cons

Some management and overscheduling

Amazing agency that has declined in recent years

Meaningful work and dedicated clinicians and front line staff serving the most acute and marginalized individuals in Alameda County. Residential program is stellar and one of the best in the state! Outpatient programs are good, case managers and staff are responsive, compassionate and hard working! Culture of the agency used to be better. Used to be supportive with a family type atmosphere with progressive treatment focus. Last few years, the senior management changed and now there is a culture of gossip, mistrust and cronyism in addition to lack of community partnerships.

Pros

Great benefit package, meaningful work

Cons

Unprofessional senior leadership, disorganization, lack of follow through

BHI, good stepping stone

I have been with Bonita House, Inc. for a year and I have seen tremendous staff turnover in just 12 months. The programs offer very rich experience working with adults who have co-occurring disorders. I would not invest more than 1.5 years at this agency. I was able to gain what I needed in terms of expanding my skills in the first 8 months. I remained with BHI after that for typical 1 year commitment to have on my resume. This agency gave me that final push to pursue my educational and career goals. The culture of the overall agency is very last minute, running around, panicked administrative and middle management. Too many inflated egos and power struggles between higher management. An overall lack of ambition and professionalism from higher management. Front line staff take the brunt of the work for little pay and little appreciation.

Pros

benefits, time off

Cons

disorganized, very last minute, large margin for error in terms of employee's PTO and pay; messy internal issues, A LOT of gossip, little to no confidentiality of internal issues reported by employees

Great environment in a Victorian Mansion in North Berkeley. Beautiful garden surrounding the facilitate which allow for outside activities with the cl

They were day and overnight shifts. A typical day would include individual meetings with clients, two or three groups: recovery, mental health, house chores, outings groups. Counselors gave and monitor medication intake.I learned a great deal about dual diagnosis treatment, drug culture in different racial and cultural environments. I also had the chance to improve my crisis intervention skills.My co-workers were an interesting mix of mental health therapist as myself and ex-addicts, both groups exchanging knowledge and experience.This was a hard job due to the fact that it was not easy to treat clints who were severe mentally ill and hard core addicts in a residential setting where people from very different backgrounds needed to learn how to live together.The most enjoyable part of the job was a supportive administration who really care for the residents well being.

Pros

very compassionate and respectful environment for clients.

Cons

there was some tension between the mental health and the addiction counselors, the addiction counselors had the tendency to identify with the clients creating bounderies problems, the overnight shifts were stressful because there was just one counselor for 15 residents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BONITA HOUSE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about BONITA HOUSE in popular locations

• BONITA HOUSE
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?