BONITA HOUSE

Clear
2.6Job Security & Advancement

managementworkgreatworkingclienthousepaybonita

Run

Very toxic work environment. No raise in my entire 4 years working there. They put anyone in management position. Very mean executive director with little respect for staff.

Pros

Paid holidays

Bad

Nothing good about Bonita house very messy.supervisor didn’t support staff growth or opinion when it came down to it. So much lack of training and support things wasn’t getting handle

BONITA HOUSE insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Look some where else for work

There's a reason that this company has gone downhill. All of the staff has abandoned this company from the higher up to the front-line staff. Managers and HR are allowed to say whatever they choose to you and there's nothing you can do about it. There's a click mentality in some programs and they won't pay you for your PTO if you leave the company. They also won't give you a raise. There are better companies out there.

Pros

There's some down time

Cons

This place needs completely new staff and management.

Not worth your time

Not at all worth your time to work for this company. The work culture is toxic, very conservative and hostile for those who are not in their 60s and looking for a place to retire. Most clinicians stay until licensed and move to another place to receive good pay. There is no formal training other than to make assessments, so you are expected to navigate Alameda County Behavioral Health without a supervisor (never available). No raises until after several years of working for the company. Caseloads are about 30 per person, with a 80% productivity rate or about 5.5 hours of billable services per workday. Meetings span about 15 hours per week, so it makes meeting billable hour requirements difficult. Management denies disability accommodations.

Commitment to consumers/clients.

Staffing is an issue lately. I think this is typical for our industry, constant turn-over, but pandemic exacerbated issue. Otherwise, great company to work for!

Pros

Autonomy, Support when needed, collaborative environment

Cons

Staffing shortages, turn-over, unqualified managers at times

The case management program is going under. High level of needs clients who need a higher level of care team with staff support

ManagementIn general, managers at BONITA HOUSE don’t know the county.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at BONITA HOUSE is little during COVID.OverallMy experience working at BONITA HOUSE has been stressful. When I heard case management is bleeding money and references that some staff are not the best fit for working with the higher level of needs clients I left. HR has trouble hiring qualified candidates.

This company was sold

This organization was sold and the company that purchased it didn't need 2 CEO's. The experience I got working there was invaluable and it prepared me to excel at my next employment.

Pros

Great company

Cons

Sold

BHI, good stepping stone

I have been with Bonita House, Inc. for a year and I have seen tremendous staff turnover in just 12 months. The programs offer very rich experience working with adults who have co-occurring disorders. I would not invest more than 1.5 years at this agency. I was able to gain what I needed in terms of expanding my skills in the first 8 months. I remained with BHI after that for typical 1 year commitment to have on my resume. This agency gave me that final push to pursue my educational and career goals. The culture of the overall agency is very last minute, running around, panicked administrative and middle management. Too many inflated egos and power struggles between higher management. An overall lack of ambition and professionalism from higher management. Front line staff take the brunt of the work for little pay and little appreciation.

Pros

benefits, time off

Cons

disorganized, very last minute, large margin for error in terms of employee's PTO and pay; messy internal issues, A LOT of gossip, little to no confidentiality of internal issues reported by employees

Very professional and supportive environment

Bonita is a great place to work. I really appreciate the experienced and education as well as the training that Bonita House provides. I am very happy and grateful to be an employee of Bonita House.

Pros

Great benetis package

One of the first ever social rehabilitation-model programs for people with severe and persistant mental health issues

It is a non-profit organization, so the pay is not great but it is a fabulous learning experience to work in a dual diagnosis program with lots of opportunities to practice new counseling skills

productive and fun place to work

I loved working here. The only reason I left is because my boyfriend got a job in Los Angeles and we moved.

Pros

free lunch, program size

Cons

n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BONITA HOUSE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits