BONITA HOUSE

BONITA HOUSE Management reviews

United States26 reviews

Clear

managementworkgreatworkingclienthousepaybonita

great clients but non-existent leadership-this organization is falling apart

In the year and a half I worked as a relief residential counselor at Bonita House, the flagship residential treatment house of Bonita House Incorporated, I witnessed the deterioration of what used to be a well-run facility which provided clinically sound treatment in a "tight container" ( a consistent, well-run, clinically sound program) to a collapsing "leaky container" sinking ship, with even long-term employees jumping ship like nobody's business, poor leadership and lacking clinical integrity. The executive director has been on leave "under investigation" for months, higher level employees are leaving, and there is a major, chronic staffing crisis-- it is kind of a mystery why they can't resolve this. Possibly it is at least partially because the pay is so low. This place has so much potential, and its very sad to see it fall apart, but it seems that new executive leadership and/or a major overhaul will be necessary in order for it to be restored.

Pros

Nice facility, flexible hours, great residents, great co-workers

Cons

lacking clinical-soundness, consistency, communication, leadership

What is the best part of working at the company?Benefits, helping clients. Some of the staff is there for the right reasons. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Favoritism, overworked, lack of effective leadership, gossip.

BONITA HOUSE insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Look some where else for work

There's a reason that this company has gone downhill. All of the staff has abandoned this company from the higher up to the front-line staff. Managers and HR are allowed to say whatever they choose to you and there's nothing you can do about it. There's a click mentality in some programs and they won't pay you for your PTO if you leave the company. They also won't give you a raise. There are better companies out there.

Pros

There's some down time

Cons

This place needs completely new staff and management.

Not worth your time

Not at all worth your time to work for this company. The work culture is toxic, very conservative and hostile for those who are not in their 60s and looking for a place to retire. Most clinicians stay until licensed and move to another place to receive good pay. There is no formal training other than to make assessments, so you are expected to navigate Alameda County Behavioral Health without a supervisor (never available). No raises until after several years of working for the company. Caseloads are about 30 per person, with a 80% productivity rate or about 5.5 hours of billable services per workday. Meetings span about 15 hours per week, so it makes meeting billable hour requirements difficult. Management denies disability accommodations.

Commitment to consumers/clients.

Staffing is an issue lately. I think this is typical for our industry, constant turn-over, but pandemic exacerbated issue. Otherwise, great company to work for!

Pros

Autonomy, Support when needed, collaborative environment

Cons

Staffing shortages, turn-over, unqualified managers at times

Great mission but it's time for a changing of the guard in order to achieve mission

A great mission but something has obviously gone off course. A total revamp of leadership is necessary in order to course correct. I wouldn't be surprised to read about senior leadership involved in some sort of malfeasance. In addition, the lack of appropriate clinical and case management support has a negative impact on client outcomes. This is not okay!

Pros

Great mission, serving those who need assistance during the challenging moments in their lives, and working as a team.

Cons

Lack of competent leadership, support of case managers and clinical team, alongside with critical necessary training.

Run

Very toxic work environment. No raise in my entire 4 years working there. They put anyone in management position. Very mean executive director with little respect for staff.

Pros

Paid holidays

The case management program is going under. High level of needs clients who need a higher level of care team with staff support

ManagementIn general, managers at BONITA HOUSE don’t know the county.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at BONITA HOUSE is little during COVID.OverallMy experience working at BONITA HOUSE has been stressful. When I heard case management is bleeding money and references that some staff are not the best fit for working with the higher level of needs clients I left. HR has trouble hiring qualified candidates.

Run

First off , this company is toxic. They put so much stress on the employees with horrible managers. This job will burn you out fast and not worth your mental health. Take my word for it run do not do it .

Please, do not be fool by those positive posts

This agency is 'managed' by an egotistical executive team, with a appearance of leadership. This agency is so unorganized, lack insight into the employees' well-being..... there is no work-life balance here. They only care about productivity. You will burn out at this organization AND it is not from the clients. Now, direct line staff, and for the most part middle management are had working and dedicated. However, turnover is rampant, just look at all the job vacancies. This is a serious sign that there is something wrong. Think twice, think real hard before accepting a position here. Run!

supportive staff

Everyone understands the stress involved in the job and is very supportive. Management is looking for ways to help support staff in accomplishing goals and meet the client's needs. Staff was very compassionate and took client's on as individuals each unique not only in their symptoms but also in the way the symptoms are treated. Staff is caring and understanding. The approach is as a team effort in managing the care of people with severe mental symptoms and substance abuse disorders.

Great opportunity to learn and execellent trainig resources

Overall, Bonita House is a wonderful place to work and a very diverse company. Staff really cares about clients and everyone works together as a whole.

Pros

Excellent benefits, training, bonuses and lunches.

Cons

Some management and overscheduling

Amazing agency that has declined in recent years

Meaningful work and dedicated clinicians and front line staff serving the most acute and marginalized individuals in Alameda County. Residential program is stellar and one of the best in the state! Outpatient programs are good, case managers and staff are responsive, compassionate and hard working! Culture of the agency used to be better. Used to be supportive with a family type atmosphere with progressive treatment focus. Last few years, the senior management changed and now there is a culture of gossip, mistrust and cronyism in addition to lack of community partnerships.

Pros

Great benefit package, meaningful work

Cons

Unprofessional senior leadership, disorganization, lack of follow through

BHI, good stepping stone

I have been with Bonita House, Inc. for a year and I have seen tremendous staff turnover in just 12 months. The programs offer very rich experience working with adults who have co-occurring disorders. I would not invest more than 1.5 years at this agency. I was able to gain what I needed in terms of expanding my skills in the first 8 months. I remained with BHI after that for typical 1 year commitment to have on my resume. This agency gave me that final push to pursue my educational and career goals. The culture of the overall agency is very last minute, running around, panicked administrative and middle management. Too many inflated egos and power struggles between higher management. An overall lack of ambition and professionalism from higher management. Front line staff take the brunt of the work for little pay and little appreciation.

Pros

benefits, time off

Cons

disorganized, very last minute, large margin for error in terms of employee's PTO and pay; messy internal issues, A LOT of gossip, little to no confidentiality of internal issues reported by employees

No Work/Life Balance

Too stressful, under paid, high demand,unrealistic expectations, no enough funding for hiring staff to aid in the growth of the agency. New leadership proclaims team building but he is all for himself.

Pros

Excellent Co-Workers to

Cons

under paid high demands

Amazing clients! Great staff. Poor upper management

Overworked and burned out personnel Amazing clients! Great staff. Poor upper management Services are great, but hard to deliver without guidance and accountability from higher management.

Pros

Clients

Cons

Upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BONITA HOUSE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits