Books-A-Million Employee Reviews

Interesting Experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Gulf Shores, ALJanuary 14, 2019
You are able to learn a great deal from the working experience. You get a chance to hone your skills and understand ways to better yourself in means of personal and professional service.
Understaffed, Over worked and uncooperative management
Barista/Server (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 6, 2019
When I was first employed I made my managers aware that due to my full time hours of school a my internship I could work at max 3 days during the school year excluding breaks. And after my second break working there my managers said I need to make myself more available to keep my job. Out of nowhere, unprovoked they changed their minds on accepting my hours. And on top of that my General Manager has threatened to fire majority of the staff because we are under on our magazine subscriptions and card quotas. Only three trained Baristas, and management refuses to hire new members after interviewing multiple candidates.
Pros
30% off discounts on everything in the store
Cons
No promise on actually getting a break, understaffed, cluttered/messy store, poor management, too focused on Membershil card sales and not on customer satisfaction
Great place to work and exciting atmosphere
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 4, 2019
This was a great place to work and it gave many many hours of hands on experience setting up new and existing technologies. There was a very flexible team to work with and when you get stuck, there was always someone who knew just the right nudge to get it going again. Some of management was extremely receptive to new technologies that streamlined processes and made systems more efficient. They provided trainings and events to further knowledge beyond what was being used in dev, qa, and production.
Pros
great environment, receptive of new ideas
Cons
no room for growth, bad manager
Easy going Retail life
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fultondale, ALJanuary 3, 2019
Books-A-Million helped me through college and helped develop my personal self and train my leadership qualities. They offered management from within and helped to maintain my work life from my school life.
Pros
Flexible hours, employee gifts and awards
Cons
Work pressure, high expectancies
Love this place
Merchandise Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 29, 2018
But its a joke to think ANYONE can live off of less than nine dollars an hour, which ultimately led me to pursue employment somewhere else. Very fun to come to work though.
Favorable
Customer Service Spec, KeyHolder, Co-Manager, (Former Employee) –  Canton GADecember 28, 2018
I worked at Books A Million for about ten years and loved it!
The managers, District Managers and clients are all wonderful!

Sad, nostalgic, I had to leave when we moved, but my memories of BAM are precious, and I have many friends from the company both with whom I am still in otuch!
The best part is the coworkers.
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXDecember 26, 2018
I normally work a 5 1/2 hour, understaffed, shift at minimum wage. I started out as a barista, and then my manager decided I would be better off on the book side of things, and was basically thrown into the storm of the book side head first. My GM in particular never pays us any mind unless it has to do with the store, ignores scheduling requests unless you're one of the favorites, and does not amply staff so regularly that I get called in on my few days off (I work 2 jobs) almost every week. The MCC and magazine sales are useless unless the customer is actually easily convinced enough that they're beneficial. I always get the customers that aren't so easily duped, and customers that are so disgruntled that they don't bother to listen to the pitch, which I am perfectly okay with, so my SPIFF is almost non-existent. The magazine sales goals are very unrealistic for the area that the store is in, and corporate is always on our tails about them, even though customers have had horrible experiences with the magazines.

Literally the best part is the coworkers. The co-managers, AM, and other employees are all good people. They're the reason I bother to show up.
Pros
30% discount and the coffee. That's it.
Cons
Short breaks for the amount of work, general management, confusing rules for vacation time, and scheduling.
Don't have Managements back
Bookseller/Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 22, 2018
I enjoyed working for a large chain bookstore. As an avid reader and amateur writer the wealth of knowledge and information is excellent. Be leary though this company throws you into the pit of customer service/sales with little training and hands on. OTJ is the way. Their training to work ratio is low. They assume any employee is more believable and take employees word over management at most every turn. They have way to many additional sales and metrics options which makes for a bad customer experience. The benefits are fair to good but the pay is low and bonus opportunities are decided more by employee action then by your own. Not recommended.
Pros
Working at a bookstore
Cons
Lacking in Management backing
OK company
Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 22, 2018
Books-A-Million is a failing company. Their primary mission is to sell discount cards. Their preferred medium is books, but book sells are incidental to Millionaire Club Card (MCC) sales.

Stores are often run down, staff is overworked, and frustrated at trying to meet unreasonable MCC and magazine attachment sales. Time at the register was often used to make a hard sales pitch. It was a relief to be on the floor so that your attachment rate was not affected. Tying MCC and magazine sales to hours is an unreasonable expectation when paying employees minimum wage with no hope of advancement.

Having store management be tied up in meetings all day providing real time MCC sales information is a poor use of talent.
Peformance is just amazing
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 21, 2018
I honestly love working working at Books-A-Million I just need more pay for my 4 month old . But i recommend the job to anybody . Hours are flexible. 😊
A Good Beginning
Booklead (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 14, 2018
Working at Books-A-Million is an experience in itself. It allowed me to quickly climb the ladder of the company through very challenging tasks and hard work. That being said, the meager pay makes all of the hard work not seem worth it personally. It is a wonderful temporary job, though it is certainly not a forever home for anyone.
Pros
30% Discount off of merchandise, ample amount of time for lunch break, quick paced, fun work environment
Cons
Stressful, poor scheduling, understaffed
fun to be around books
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 11, 2018
It's a fun atmosphere and I love my co-workers, but I am not getting paid enough for the job. I get 7.55 an hour. I was originally a bookseller but they also trained me to be a barista and now I'm always scheduled for barista because they are understaffed (gee I wonder why). The 30% discount is nice and you can also check out up to 2 books for 2 weeks which is pretty cool if you don't want to buy the book.
Management is pretty bad and if my manager doesn't like a co-worker then they won't schedule them many hours which sucks.
The best part of the job is finding books for people and talking about books. Worst part is dealing with terrible customers but that's every retail job pretty much. Another bad part is selling the memberships and getting people the free trials for magazines. I feel so bad pushing the magazines on people but if I don't then I don't meet my "goal". We do get extra for getting the magazines and cards but not that much.
I definitely recommend this as a first job, but I wouldn't stay here for very long.
Pros
30% discount, fun atmosphere, being around books
Cons
bad management, low pay, pressure for selling memberships and signing people up for magazine trials
Would recommend
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Branson, MODecember 10, 2018
A typical day a work was fun. Learning about different authors and where books belonged. Management was kept very professional. Hardest part of the job is trying to sell their rewards cards unless you're good at persuading. Most enjoyable part of the job is it's probably the easiest job I've ever had.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
The occasional late night.
Fair Place to Work
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PADecember 6, 2018
BAM is a fair place to work, however it is a bit age biased. They prefer to promote younger employees with few family tie because they can work you more often.
Good Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Triadelphia, WVDecember 6, 2018
I loved working at BAM. They always worked with my schedule. They treated me like a person. However, sometimes the sales targets were unreasonable. Overall, it’s a great place to work. Clean, positive environment. Plenty of opportunity to advance.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, flexible schedule, opportunity to advance
Cons
Unrealistic goals
Very corporate
Co-Manager - FT (Former Employee) –  IowaDecember 3, 2018
Each store was required to follow 100% of corporate decrees down to what books were on each display, leaving no room for flexibility to meet the local guests needs.
Pressure, pressure, pressure all the time
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLDecember 1, 2018
Company cares more about selling memberships and pushing you to give away magazine trials than they care about their employees. When you don't meet the quota for the memberships and magazines, they cut your hours down, but yet still expect you to be fully available. The few that are lucky enough to get a decent amount of hours, be prepared for them to work you full time but not give you the full time status and the benefits that are supposed to come with it.
Worst thing was definitely the quota. You could work hard all day organizing the shelves, straightening the displays, answering the phone, processing orders, and still feel lousy and unappreciated at the end of the day because your numbers aren't high enough.
Pros
30 percent discount
Cons
no benefits, low pay, stressful
Terrible
Casheir (Former Employee) –  Cullman AlabamaNovember 29, 2018
Managers are terrible and never listen to you. Barely ever had any hours. Definitely not what I was expecting. The General Manager was always rude to employees and even customers didn't want to come back because of him.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
No hours, rude, poor management
Just so you know... $13.50hr.
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, DENovember 21, 2018
The pay for an Assistant Store Manager at this location is $13.50hr. To run the store... $13.50hr. Yeah, its a 45 or more hours a week and there are quarterly bonuses IF your store performs regardless of the stores around it or any economic downturn, but if it doesn't... $13.50hr. They'll ask you about salary requirement and you'll research it to make sure that you are making a competitive median for your position relative to the industry and so that you don't make an outrageous demand or lowball yourself by accident. You'll interview and interview, and you'll interview again, and when they do decide to call you, $13.50hr. You can fold T-shirts at the mall or make sandwiches at Wawa, or you can be an Assistant Store Manager for $13.50hr.

P.S. That is not a competitive wage for that position, if that didn't come across...
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
13.50 an hour
Great atmosphere, low salary
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 16, 2018
If you can make it to a full-time position, the hours and pay are a lot better. If you're part time, you'll need a roommate or a second job. The Albany location is great! The company is fantastic, except when it comes to pay. The Albany Books-A-Million is one of the lowest paying stores in the mall. Bath and body part time workers get paid more an hour than some management at the Albany Books-A-Million. It's a great atmosphere, most of the time, but the work for pay doesn't match up.
Pros
30% off for employee discount, opportunity to earn more money by doing a great job
Cons
Salary sucks