Books-A-Million Employee Reviews

poor work experience
Book Seller/Truck/Buy Back Lead (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 15, 2018
Management is very drama filled and inconsistent. the atmosphere is very tense. you are supposed to have an annual review with possible pay raise, I received my first one after my second year. no pay increase with newly learned skills or responsibilities even after it is promised.
fun job
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNJuly 12, 2018
The job was fine, but district managers seem can be hard to contact for questions or concerns. Some of the district managers were great, but not all.
It is a good beginning point.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2018
Books-A-Million is a good pointing as far as jobs. It starts at minimum wage so that is a minus. You are able to add to you paycheck by signing up people for subscriptions.
Fun and wholesome
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 8, 2018
I very much enjoy working here but the pay is abysmal. Sales goals for the store volume are not realistic. Raises are not given regularly enough and employees are not paid enough, period.
Pros
store discount, nice co-workers
Cons
low wages
Good discounts for readers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 7, 2018
I met folks that loved books too. Easy going. Relaxing work environment & enjoyable to help others, especially kids. Managers are reasonable most times.
Pros
Discounts, can browse books
Cons
Short breaks
Na
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gulf Shores, ALJuly 5, 2018
I love working at Books, for the books, the customers, and my staff. I did NOT like the hostile environment created by the manager, and encouraged by the DM
Small Staff was a Small Family
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 1, 2018
Despite being 2014's voted worst place to work, in a mere 3 years BAM has grown into what can only be described as a family. Management was always there to help its workers, and hours were as much as you can handle. Job security was no concern, and going from part-time to full-time is depend on ones want to work more for the business. Job can be fast-paced at times, but days go by quickly due to constant customer interaction.
Horrible company
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSJune 25, 2018
The only reason I am still employed with Books-A-Million is because I like to help kids find books they will love. The company is horrible. The management is horrible. Training is seriously lacking. There is no room for advancement. If you manager doesn't like you for absolutely any reason they will make sure your time spent employed here is terrible. There are little to no benefits for working for this company.
Pros
30% discount on most merchandise
Cons
bad management, bad upper management, no breaks
Slow paced, unfulfilling place to work.
Customer Service, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 25, 2018
An average day would be very slow, meticulous work. You are expected to be on your feet for the entirety of the shift. Hours were inconsistent and the scheduling staff was disorganized and difficult to communicate/ work with. Cooperate really never lets up- there are set sales metrics you're expected to meet every shift you work, and if you don't force enough product upon customers that day- the consequences are less scheduled hours, or even your job entirely.
There are kind people who work there- it was a primarily positive social environment, i just would not recommend the job.
Fun environment with opportunity to earn bonuses.
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 25, 2018
Generally like minded people to work with, pop culture filled environment. Can honestly say that this is one of my favorite jobs I've ever had. Customer relations are usually pretty great, however you are required to promotionally sell items at the register which can be tedious because the customers dont tend to want these things however you are rewarded with up to $.50 on your paycheck with every additional promotional item sold.
Pros
coffee or yogurt shop instore
Cons
only 30 min break for up to 9 hour shifts
You get to work with books all day
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 24, 2018
Constant change in displays and pulling product from their designated location sometimes caused loss of sales (not increase in sales) due to not being able to locate product for customer.
Company designed stores to be "uniform" regarding inventory and not catering to the local demographics.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Upper management does not listen
Fun place to work with great benefits
Interim Vice President, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2018
An organization where leaders truly care about their employees. Good training is provided to management team by trainers in the field. Leaders actively seek and promote talented staff.
Retailer committed to employees, customers, & community
Accounting/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 22, 2018
A typical day and the culture is dependent on your position.

I learned so much working at BAM! that is hard to tell all of it. BAM! is a professional retailer. BAM uses federal, state, and accounting rules across the organization. When aware that the company is not compliant, processes are in place to correct any problems. Since the company consistently follows processes, there is always an opportunity to learn.

I held multiple positions while employed with Books A Million. I would say, you get out of the experience what you input.
Pros
Stability, employee discount, organization
Cons
Retail hours and work days
Loved my management and customers
Supervisor / Education and Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHJune 21, 2018
My managers were amazing and I hated leaving this store. I stayed so long with little pay cause it is family when you join the staff. Corporate does takes its employees concerns into considerations but does the bare minimum to address it, its the managers that make a difference. This job got me through college, and I recommend it to anyone who knows sales and can make sales goals. If not, you will be stressed and constantly reminded you are not succeeding. The discount card is hard to sell, but has to be done sadly.
Pros
Loved my coworkers, great management
Cons
Little pay, lots of stress
Fun environment and nice coworkers, but unrealistic pressure to meet sales goals. You will have hours cut if you don’t bring results selling.
Bookseller/Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, SCJune 20, 2018
It’s almost like a library setting sometimes, but with an obvious retail vibe, with promotions, sales goals, seasonal offers, etc.. The company doesn’t seem to care a whole lot for its workers, but the workers do care for one another. Management basically encourages you to manipulate customers into accepting magazine offers especially. Aside from that, it is a nice first job or side hustle.
Pros
30% store discount.
Cons
Little opportunity to move up, get raises or more hours.
Book Lovers Heaven
Stocker/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALJune 18, 2018
The only real problem working here is being a book lover, and being tempted daily to spend your entire paycheck in the store. I enjoy reading and when i worked here it was a huge struggle just to keep my hard earned money.
Fun place to work.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 17, 2018
This is typically a fun place to work and meet new people. The customers and employees are all very friendly and helpful. I had opportunity to learn many new skills. The hardest part was the late hours. The most enjoyable was meeting and helping the regular customers.
Pros
Fun environment and product discount.
Cons
Hours are earlier and later then the mall.
Not great.
Bookseller/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 17, 2018
It's been a long time since I worked at BAM and I have to say I don't really miss it. Long and hard hours with low compensation plus upper management that doesn't seem to appreciate their employees. There's a reason people don't like working in retail outfits.
Pros
Flexible lunches, time off
Cons
Stress, upper management attitude
Poor tasting
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 15, 2018
I would love to work at books-a-million longer, but i do not get paid enough to be a bookseller,cashier,janitorial service and have part time working only 3days a week barely hitting 20hours if lucky. Also definitely not enough money to force membership cards and magazines down peoples throats then if i don't upsale i lose more hours NO THANK YOU.
Pros
No pros
Corporate never lets up.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairview Park, OHJune 12, 2018
At the job we have to attempt to convince customers to get membership cards and free magazine subscriptions trials. If we don't hit daily and weekly goals, corporate yells at our manager who in turn yells at us. Although the work itself is not that stressful and I would even say enjoyable, having the pressure of these metrics constantly hanging over your head causes no end of stress. What's worse, is that the magazine subscriptions are such a scam because if customers don't read the fine print they don't know that they have to cancel the subscription after two months or else they'll be charged, and we're encouraged to leave that information out unless specifically asked. It ultimately feels like lying.