Books-A-Million Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLSeptember 17, 2018
Great atmosphere, but they do not pay enough. Relaxed pace, very family friendly, amazing management staff, but the pay and the available hours per week do leave something to be desired.
Senior Programmer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 17, 2018
Despite the below average pay, Books-A-Million is a good place to work. They have been very good with their money in a dying market. They have expanded into buying real estate as well as buying other businesses and expanding into other markets.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Not industry standard pay
Great workplace with so many great opportunities to learn.
BOOKSELLER/BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Every day was pretty routine as far as cashiering, but management would give out fun and different projects to work on while I was working there. As a barista, it was a lot busier and more steady paced, but it was difficult trying to sell membership cards from the coffee shop. However, membership cards were easy to pitch and sell as a cashier.
Pros
30% associate discount. Food included
Cons
Full-time hours while still being labeled as a part-time associate. No benefits.
Nice place to work, a bit competitive.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 15, 2018
A very nice place to work, most of it being assisting customers finding the products they want and keeping the place clean and organized. There is also cashiering which can be competitive due to the up-sale.

Everyone is pretty friendly and knowledgeable, you also get to rent out books to read on your time off. So discounts and renting books is a nice perk.

The hardest part of the job is communication. There is often a lack of it from customers and employees alike.

Having to sell Discount cards and Magazine subscriptions are an unfortunate requirement that could cost you your job should you not maintain a certain percentage which does add stress to the job.
Pros
Book Rentals, Discounts
Cons
Required sales for Magazine and Discount card percentage
Stressful/ low- pay
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 13, 2018
Working at books a million was a catch 22. I love my coworkers, and I loved the product, but we were pushed to scam the customers and offered very little in terms of payment.
Pros
books
Cons
low pay
Fun
Cafe Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 6, 2018
I loved the employee discount on books!! And meeting customers who loved to read as much as I do was really great. I was provided with a great oppurtunity to cross train the in cafe as well.
Book lovers apply
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PASeptember 6, 2018
I have had the opportunity to learn sales skills and the book industry. Chances to advance and develop. Good discounts and good people. Not the best pay for the amount of work
Pros
Book discounts
Cons
Low pay
Poor pay for stressful environment
Co-Mgr/Merchandising Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LASeptember 5, 2018
If you need a part time job for limited pay, then sure get this job. Just ignore the petty drama and get the extra money. But if you are looking for a job that will help you pay your bills this is not the one for you. The pay is terrible. The job is enjoyable at times, although they do pressure you to sell their discount card and the stupid magazines that they claim are free but are not. The best part about this job is the books and the customers, it was super fun to help people find what they needed and introduce them to new authors.
Have to sell store cards, too many managers
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 4, 2018
Worked as barista in cafe preparing drink orders and food, keeping area clean. You have to meet quota in selling overpriced store cards, magazine subscriptions, and whatever else it is they are pushing that week. Too much demand to sell something all the time to every customer. Too many managers in a small store. Cafe manager was a micro manager who was never wrong and took credit for any work or ideas you had. Main manager was very relaxed and easy going, but pushed you on reaching sales goals so he would look good to district manager. Hard work was not appreciated and overlooked unless you were excelling at selling those store cards/magazine subscriptions-a very corporate mentality. Most co-workers were nice if a bit gossipy and customers were regulars I got to know. No benefits if your part time and you have to be there a year to get any benefits of any kind. Constantly had to deal with appliances that were not working properly and mopping up leaky refrigerated bake case because they were too cheap to fix anything. Some of your most needed and used appliances didn't work (blender, coffee maker, etc.) and needed to be replaced/serviced but that never happened. Hardest part of job was trying to sell to people who are clearly not interested, most enjoyable part of job was being able to check out any book in store and take home on loan and discount on merchandise.
Pros
Discount on merchandise, ability to take home books temporarily.
Cons
Sell, sell, sell overpriced store cards, magazine subscriptions, etc.
Good learning experience
Sales Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 31, 2018
Location close to everything right in the middle of town but now closed no longer in the same location. Was a Fun and cool place to work and meet people. You get to read a lot of books and parlay. Good location near the mall an downtown Naples towards the beach.
Maybe don't
Non-Book Lead (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 29, 2018
My first manager was amazing--super fun to work with.
But then we underwent some policy and staffing changes and suddenly it wasn't worth going in.
Concerns of associates are left unaddressed for an unseemly amount of time. There is no local support and no back up from the home office and upper management. Each branch is mostly left to fend for iself.
The pay is terrible. The benefits do not compensate for what you have to do. Overall, I feel that it was a waste of the time that I spent working there.

Please, do yourself the biggest favor and find somewhere else to work. This job sucks out your humanity and leaves you soulless.
Pros
30% discount on in-store product
Cons
You have to sell cards and mags until you are blue in the face, bad pay scale, little room for upward movement
Books-A-Million/Joe Muggs Barista
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 28, 2018
Books-A-Million has been my favorite job thus far in my career, it had a great staff and was a very collaborative process to completing daily tasks, I could count on my co-workers and they could count on me. I left BAM to pursue a college degree but I will never forget the great people I worked with.
Pros
30% off discount, good co-workers and managers, consistent hours
Cons
You get written up if you don't make rewards card quotas.
Fun and stressful
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARAugust 27, 2018
It’s good for a temporary job but not a career. I enjoyed my co-workers but towards the end the management started to decline. I was a certified barista and sometimes that could be stressful
Cons
30 min lunch
Friendly, competitive, interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shalimar, FLAugust 20, 2018
A normal day at BAM would consist of checking out customers, and aiming to sell their discount card. While also picking up any misplaced items around the store. Also we would clean and organize books by alphabetical order, and put them into certain categories.
Learn a lot about finding books and how to organize them quickly.
Would usually be you and one other associate, and a manager closing or opening.
Pros
Nice coworkers, commission, can check out books
Amazing workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 10, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Booksamillon and I hope to one day work there again! I hated having to leave but military life can suck! Highly recommend for any book lovers this is a dream job!
Pros
Store discounts, you can check out books and bring them back!
Cons
Occasionally theres a rude customer
Fun place to work, but not a career
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 31, 2018
BAM is a very fun job with a plethora of interesting staff and customers. Every day is fun and rewarding.

However, pay is low and hours are inconsistent, making you feel like you're always at work.

Definitely worth a few months of my time, but no more than that.
Stressful for little reward
Barista/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 30, 2018
Ineffective and inefficient leadership with a mostly apathetic, minimum wage workforce, trying to stay afloat as a physical bookstore in the world of Amazon and other online shopping options ends up exactly how you would expect it to.

There are some incredibly hard working, criminally under appreciated employees that deserve so much better than what this store is giving them.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything else I can think of
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVJuly 29, 2018
Great place to work with great management team. Employees work well together and are seen as equals. Charity events are a fantastic thing Books A Million does. I love it.
Pros
Good charity donations. Fun place to work.
Cons
Too many employees to get enough hours/money.
A Pleasant Job For a College Student
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJuly 28, 2018
I have been working for two years at many different jobs and I found that this one would have been better for a college student just starting out. Though their hours are little to non, it allows people to fill in until they find a better job
Pros
30 minute breaks
Cons
Little hours, Get treated horribly
Relaxed and Competitive
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCJuly 28, 2018
A wonderful job if you can handle working long hours standing in one spot with nothing but a smile on your face. Personally there was no issue, besides the management not wanting to work with a school schedule.