Books-A-Million Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere, low salary
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 16, 2018
If you can make it to a full-time position, the hours and pay are a lot better. If you're part time, you'll need a roommate or a second job. The Albany location is great! The company is fantastic, except when it comes to pay. The Albany Books-A-Million is one of the lowest paying stores in the mall. Bath and body part time workers get paid more an hour than some management at the Albany Books-A-Million. It's a great atmosphere, most of the time, but the work for pay doesn't match up.
Pros
30% off for employee discount, opportunity to earn more money by doing a great job
Cons
Salary sucks
Great Atmosphere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNNovember 13, 2018
The atmosphere at BAM is very relaxed and the team was great to work with. The job duties are not overwhelming but they provide an opportunity to grow in many ways.
Helful at the time but doomed to fail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 3, 2018
In my three years here I was an associate, café manager, and store manager. The opportunity to make commission is great for the associates given the best shift of the day, but the sales goals are stressful due to it being the companies sole way of gaining a profit. The corp offie is cheap and does not maintain their buildings as well as they should and they allow poor supervisor to maintain employed in the company. The two weeks vacation and health benefit I had toward the end of my employment did make a lot of the cons worth it. Although due to the poor financial state of the company and the way the book market is, I can't see this company surviving for very long.
Pros
Good benefits, decent enviroment
Cons
poor managment, cheap copr office
Best Co-workers But Terrible Job
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 30, 2018
Abusive customers, upper management is a joke. The job can be fun when they don't come down relentlessly on sales staff about business. The company expects staff to sell $25 memberships to multiple customers a day even though most of the customers are regulars and already have them. They also push a magazine subscription as a "Free trial" but its a scam and customers get very angry at associates when they discover this.

I had the pleasure of working with a MASSIVE amount of talent during my time at BAM, though.
Pros
30% employee discount, people watching
Little bookshop of horrors
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 29, 2018
The sheer incompetence of the new leadership of this store is staggering. I was treated as a second class citizen with no regard to my schedule out side of work. The manager took a very “do as I say not as I do” attitude with their leadership responsibilities which they often neglected. The company itself seemed to fall into a rapid state of chaos as each week when a new policy was introduced. Making it extremely difficult for one to do there job effectively. Overall the work environment was toxic and hostile, ultimately forcing me to reconsider my position.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Literally everything else
good people
Customer Service Specialist/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 28, 2018
Good people unfortunately the store closed and everyone lost their jobs and moved on to others. Discounts were decent, but pay was low. need to improve that
Pros
people
Cons
store closing
not enough money for the amount of work
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 16, 2018
Working and managing here was fun, i enjoyed it. However, their pay was nowhere near fair for the amount of work and time us managers had to work each and every day.
Working is ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAOctober 14, 2018
I am part-time and. I get no benefits but I like the customers. You get %30 off with ur discount. People are nice and friendly (sometimes) it's a good place to start
Great, but only for starting out.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 14, 2018
I absolutely love this job, but the pay is awful. 7.55 is not enough for my bills. Everyone is nice and caring, even management. Which is hard to come by.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Bad pay
ok
Member program (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSOctober 10, 2018
it was ok working there. i enjoyed most working the coffee and food. customers are nice and simple. culture was ok up there from managers. all was ok there.
Great place to work if you love books
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 6, 2018
working there for two years at two locations. My first location was good, Solid support from tenured associates, as well as my DSM. Upon moving to me second location its been a bit of a challenge, but I still go there with enthusiasm (Although i'm not sure how long it will last.
Pros
Great environment if you enjoy the literary world.
Cons
No work life balance, Pay is not competitive.
Great management.
Customer Service Representative/Book Lead (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCOctober 1, 2018
The GM was great at her job. Always something to do and helping guests find what they needed. Moving books to new locations, updating the store for different event we were having or promotions that were going on.
Stressful, Unworthy
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VASeptember 26, 2018
Working here was always stressful. Ask for help from higher management, you won't get it. I had to write my own evaluation, my supervisor wouldn't do it. The company says that they care about the customer but it's all about numbers, the discount card, magazine program, and auto-renewal program. This company started off pretty good and just went downhill sucking the pleasure out of it.
Pros
Access to many books and people who love them
Cons
Terrible management
Horrible
Barista (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 26, 2018
Management was horrible, unprofessional, vindictive. There was major favoritism there, mgmt made fun of employees and customers, did not follow protocol, bugs in the cafe.
Great work
Customer Service Sales / Magazine Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LASeptember 25, 2018
As my first job, I would highly recommend anyone to work there. It is a great start to a first job. The customers and employees are very nice. I learned so any new steps of going above and beyond my skills as a worker. I enjoyed helping the customers to find the right book that they are looking for
Pros
Great job
Cons
Short pay
Relaxed but quick paced
Barista (Current Employee) –  Meridian, MSSeptember 24, 2018
In the short time I've been working at Booka-a-million I have enjoyed it. Almost all of the employees are like family, but there is the drama included as with most family/jobs. I got hired on for the Christmas season last year and was fortunate enough to stay. Even if the pay isn't good enough for me to live on my own, it is enough for me to be able to afford an apartment with roommates as well as my basic living needs. So far this has been my most enjoyable job but unless you are a lead or management, it's not really a permanent type of job, more like a stepping stone in your future.
Nice place to work
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLSeptember 17, 2018
Great atmosphere, but they do not pay enough. Relaxed pace, very family friendly, amazing management staff, but the pay and the available hours per week do leave something to be desired.
Senior Programmer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 17, 2018
Despite the below average pay, Books-A-Million is a good place to work. They have been very good with their money in a dying market. They have expanded into buying real estate as well as buying other businesses and expanding into other markets.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Not industry standard pay
Great workplace with so many great opportunities to learn.
BOOKSELLER/BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Every day was pretty routine as far as cashiering, but management would give out fun and different projects to work on while I was working there. As a barista, it was a lot busier and more steady paced, but it was difficult trying to sell membership cards from the coffee shop. However, membership cards were easy to pitch and sell as a cashier.
Pros
30% associate discount. Food included
Cons
Full-time hours while still being labeled as a part-time associate. No benefits.
Nice place to work, a bit competitive.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 15, 2018
A very nice place to work, most of it being assisting customers finding the products they want and keeping the place clean and organized. There is also cashiering which can be competitive due to the up-sale.

Everyone is pretty friendly and knowledgeable, you also get to rent out books to read on your time off. So discounts and renting books is a nice perk.

The hardest part of the job is communication. There is often a lack of it from customers and employees alike.

Having to sell Discount cards and Magazine subscriptions are an unfortunate requirement that could cost you your job should you not maintain a certain percentage which does add stress to the job.
Pros
Book Rentals, Discounts
Cons
Required sales for Magazine and Discount card percentage