Books-A-Million
62Average

Books-A-Million Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA11 reviews
Liked it there
It's great if you love books and know exactly what you are selling to people. The pay rate isn't awesome and neither are the hours... and they can't give recommendations to future employers... But i loved the job itself and my coworkers were great.
Great place to work!
-Friendly management, Hepful at all times
-Friendly co-workers

-Great training

-Great teamwork

-Great company to work for long-term

- Schedule and hours based on performance
Good job for bookies
I enjoyed this job as a book nerd, but for me the downside was that the staff aren't allowed to read any books or magazines even if everything is done. I do love that you can borrow books and return them when you're finished reading them.
Passionate about product, managment is lacking
A typical day at books a million involves stocking, up selling, assisting customers, event planning, and staff development. Work place culture was always about recommendations on good product for us and customers. We we all passionate about what we did, selling books and other pop culture merchandise. That was the most enjoyable part of the job. Everyone on staff got along like a loving family. I still frequently communicate with people I met while working here. The hardest park of the job was working with unrealistic expectations being put on your team and an extremely unprofessional superior. This company ended up being sued for firing associates because they were unable to push and sell $25 membership cards to customers who did not want them.
Pros
passion for product
Cons
unprofessional district manager
Review as a former Bookseller
The pay was terrible, you were expected to keep up a certain percentage of your sales in memberships, and they did not have enough hours to go around for everybody, but the in-store managers were great, and it was a pleasure working there, if you like books.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
This company was horrible to work for
I worked in two different stores for extended periods of time as a shift manager, doing most of the work. The store managers didn't' do much. The district manager wasn't much help either.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Productive place to work
The most difficult part about working at books-a-million is not having your paycheck go right back to the store.

The people that work there are generally helpful and up beat, if not a little catty at times.

The store is pretty productive to work at, though. There's always something to do.
Pros
Sometimes there's free food, the discount is great, management is usually great
Cons
Catty coworkers.
Helpful and educational
Helped develop customer service skills and sale tactics. This was my first real job and the company was very warm and friendly.
Pros
Fun envioronment
Cons
Book stores are closing
Awesome
I loved this place. Great place to work. Team-based environment with lots of room for promotion. Good managers, good hours, good people, good customers. Rich area.
Pros
Cool, awesome
Cons
not that many
Love the books, not the culture
I enjoy books and everything about them. However, it wasn't my job to sell books but to sell $20 membership cards to clients who had no desire or use for such a thing.
A good place to work, if you can keep up.
I did enjoy working for Books-A-Million, although the was a considerable amount of pressure placed on associates to make sales of discount cards and magazine subscriptions. If you fell short, you faced the threat of a formal letter of reprimand, and too amny of those lead to termination. They did do a great job when it came to customer service. Books-A-Million understands that without the customer, the company wouldn't exist, and it stresses the importance of making sure the customer has a great experience in the store.