Boot Barn Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northglenn, COJanuary 8, 2019
The management sucked! I would not recommend working here at all! You don't get paid enough to deal with everything you do. You make minimum wage, plus SOME commission, but it's only like ¢.50-$5 extra and it's only for certain things. But they will make it sound like you get money for everything you sell. You get yelled at for doing things, but they let other people do and say whatever they want. If you call in because of an emergency, they get mad and then they hang up on you. You can't really have a social life because you end up closing, and then working 11-8 the next day. Your hours get cut. They make you part time so they don't have to give you benefits. It would make a great first job for someone who is still in high school, but you have to be 18 to apply. Some of the people would be really great outside of work and I did make some really good friends there. But that was the only plus side to working there.
Pros
The employee discount
Cons
Literally everything.
if you need a job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 4, 2018
Company was great when they first took over. was able to travel to other stores and help with re-grand openings. regional and district managers were great, but things change management left and new ones came in and the moral went down in some stores
Pros
descent pay and benefits
Cons
management (some) were unapeeling
Minimum Wage
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJanuary 2, 2019
We get paid minimum wage and a dollar extra for every hour we worked during months that we exceeded our sales goals. Not appropriate compensation for work put in...
Pros
Flexible, willing to work with school schedules etc.
Cons
Don't pay well
Fun and Welcoming
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 4, 2018
I met some great customers from all around the World. I had some pretty great management. The hardest time I had with this job was having to push customers to give their personal information even after they have said no. They really hate being talked into giving their information. Also they shouldn't base our raises on how we dress or how much of a percentage we get on customer information we retrieve. sometimes those things are out of our hands. I enjoyed most about working here was meeting so many interesting people and getting to help people feel better about themselves.
Fast Growing Company!!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 16, 2018
This company is growing fast. I recommend getting in on the early stages to establish future growth benefits. Great team and management. Fun place to work.
Pros
growing company, benefits and vacation pay
Cons
pay/cost of living
At first it was fine
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Management was crumplying either getting fired or leaving, one manager was trying to actually hold up the store while the other did nothing but boss other's around and watch them work. Favoritism was shown to certain employees when it came to hours, how they were being treated, what they could get away with. If you were scheduled you could make decent money on a busy day, however hours were inconsistent. Turn over rate is high due to culture.
Pros
Decent sales
Cons
Short breaks, management terrible, bad culture
Good fun place to work..busy
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 13, 2018
Its great during the holiday season and slow durring the rest of the year. Can learn mulitiple jobs. Paid training. Work indoors. Friendly staff. Its a job
Pros
Holiday pay and overtime
Cons
No benefits
Taken advantage
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 28, 2018
If you work at Boot Barn don't expect to get trained correctly, or compensated unless you sell there Boot Barns cleaner for the boots. You also had to have a boot tree hanging from your paints so you could sell that as well. I was never trained correctly, I was thrown into a Key Position and responsible for all the duties of the Assistant Managers Responsibility and got paid less then the Sales Associates, but at the end of my employment with Boot Barn they trained me my last week on the boots and products which I already new. I was put in a position a lot of times were I had to open and close the store the same day due to the Store Manager was not able to be reached and the Assistant Manager was not able to be reached or the other Key holder. Then they added the credit card and you had to sell so many with in a day or you would get talked too. The culture of Boot Barn was very negative and not a happy place to work. Boot Barn really uses there employees to make the big bucks.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management pushes you till you are out the door.
I had a horrible experience working for Boot Barn
Key Holder (Management) (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 3, 2018
At first I was very excited to work at this establishment. My interview went well, and everyone was very nice. I advanced quickly, moving to Key Holder within the first month of working here. It all went downhill after that, the store manager and district manager did a poor job of helping associates, and there was a major clique situation. I have a chronic illness and was greatly discriminated against for this, eventually I quit because I was asked to step down due to my condition.
Pros
great customers, nice employee benefits
Cons
poor understanding from management, chaotic work place
Fun to work with customers, but not fun behind the scenes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 19, 2018
The manager comes off as super friendly, but she is rude and talks behind everybody's backs. Since she was hired, the turn-over rate is very high. I started working there being told I would get at least 15-20 hours a week. Some weeks I get 5-10 hours. I'm LUCKY if I even get 13-15 per week. Amazing discount, but doesn't make up for how two-faced the management is. If you aren't in upper-level employment, don't expect many hours.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
short breaks, management, benefits
Fun activities in lunch room.
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 5, 2018
Boot Barn was an excellent company to work for. It was a very relaxed environment, Great personalities from employees. If I had the chance I would love to work there. Managers are reasonable. They pay rate excellent and a very relaxed and fun company.
Pros
One hour lunch, Benefits, Professional Management, Company activities
Cons
Employees worried too much about new staff. Managers are the ones who should do the worrying.
Not for those that don't like competition
Store (Current Employee) –  Cody, WYDecember 12, 2018
Assisting customers with purchases as well as helping them with deciding what to purchase. Product knowledge to educate customers as well as other employees. Hardest part of the job is the company expectations that all stores are the same no matter the area they are located in.
I love my job because I love dealing with customers and helping them out building those relationships over the years by having the customer trust me totally that I will take care of them.
Pros
room for advancement
Great place
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 1, 2018
Great and fun workplace, great location, benefits were great, the retirement program was excellent, excellent management and everyone was so nice! Benefits were also great
Hard working employee reprimanded for too many sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTDecember 27, 2018
The worst experience I have had. We were yelled at everyday that sales weren't where they should be. I studied sales skills in my free time and tripled my sales. Only to have manager scream at me because I made her look bad because her sales were so low. It only got worse from there I quit and could hear her yelling from the back of the store. in front of customers and all. Yikes so unprofessional.
Pros
Love the company and products
Cons
watch out for management that arent for the CO
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northglenn, COOctober 29, 2018
I worked here for over a year. My managers were super rude and would yell at me constantly. I never got breaks and wouldn’t get a lunch everyday. If I was talking to a coworker for even a second we would get in trouble. The managers were constantly late to work. I’ve had money go missing out of my locker and told my manger; it was never dealt with and I was told basically oh well. The A/C and heat doesn’t work and they won’t fix it. But they are firm on the dress code, so you freeze in winter and overheat in summer. The employees get lectured for every single thing. This place is a joke. Literally the only good part is the employee discount- but everything is already over priced.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything, managers are horrible, no breaks, no A/C
one bad seed can end careers
Retail Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNDecember 17, 2018
One power hungry person can end careers for multiple people as we experienced in our district. Makes it hard to trust management without it being earned .
Great work atmosphere, horrible pay and opportunities for advancement.
Ecommerce Photographer / Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 2, 2018
Great company. Great people. Horrible pay and not very many opportunities for advancement. Executives often got involved with promotions on the lower level. Management didn't really have a say. Nepotism ran high at Boot Barn in terms of promotion and hire. Your looks and how you dress will get you far at this company. If you are tall, blond and beautiful you will get promoted and special treatment. All others, prepare to work your a** off.

Boot Barn is a good company. Easy and flexible scheduling. I never had a hard time with getting days off or coming in late. Onsite perks as well with a gym, lunch time yoga, occasional free meals and many company celebrations. The CEO is great! Most of the executives are very friendly and down to earth people. HR is a struggle to work with at times..but with new hires and promotions after I left hopefully changed this for the better. Boot Barn is ever growing and ever changing, so job security was questionable. Overall, a fun company to work for.
Pros
Atmosphere, Easy schedule
Cons
Pay, no advancement, Management has no training.
A Tight Nit Place To Work
Third Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 4, 2018
Sure to be kept busy, always things to stay productive as well as remain upbeat and pleasant while assisting customers. Always post customer appreciation comments posted for employee recognition and congratulations.

Quarterly Employee recognition, congratulations and award given. It's an easy place to work closely with co workers and feels like a family. Timely lunches/breaks given as well as vacation/sick pay.

Manager works with schedule to best accommodate life/work outside the business. Spiffs for different product/chances at bonus when goals are met. Generous discount on Private store labels as well as outside labels.

All the skills I have were learned through the 10 years worked here.

Great learning experience and great starting out job. Co-workers become like family, and opportunities constantly arise for moving up.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLFebruary 20, 2018
Boot Barn is a very enjoyable working experience. You will see a lot of the same customers weekly and build a bond with them. In addition, you learn a lot of valuable lessons such as boot care, sales and marketing, proper customer service, and many more. Coworkers are awesome and the managers are even better. One downfall to this job is that there is little opportunity to advance and hardly any benefits even as a full-time employee.
n/a
Assistant operations manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Working at Bootbarn definitely developed me into a different worker. I started off as a seasonal employee and them was kept as a part-time employee with 30hrs or less. After a couple months they hired me on as a full-time employee adn then I was put in the backroom where i learned how to ship and receive items from my work. I also had a lot of experience with customer service so sometimes they would send me to the floor to help out when needed.
Pros
You can move up in the company quick if you're a hard worker
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boot Barn. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight