Play YouTube video button

Booz Allen Hamilton Employee Reviews

Found 1,693 reviews matching the search See all 1,726 reviews
Excellent firm
Consultant - Strategy Practice (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2018
Excellent experience. Tools, Training, Pace, development - among the best one can experience in a career.

Use the fundamentals taught at Boo Allen readily today.
Pros
Development
Cons
Can't think of any
I was a summer law clerk.
Special Consultant/Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2018
I worked for this company as a summer intern stationed at the EPA. I performed legal research on numerous issues pertaining to Super Fund environmental clean-up and liability. It was decades ago so my memory is vague on the details.
Good worklife balance, but not competitive re: compensation/benefits
Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
Pros: Great people, good work-life balance, good training/learning opportunities.

Cons: The culture has changed substantially in the last 5 years due to tremendous growth and switch from private to publicly-owned. Used to have entrepreurial, dynamic atmosphere; now is just another bureaucratic corporate behemoth that continues to make cuts to compensation/benefits in order to meet quarterly earnings and satisfy shareholders.

Overall: Decent place to start a career, but not really a place to remain long-term.
Productive place to work
Senior Network System Engineer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 15, 2018
I was off site, away from normal BAH contact, but from what I've heard there's good leadership and a community that would help you. At the off site position, I felt as if I was basically forgotten by the company, but the team that I worked with was excellent, a great group of people that were definitely knowledgeable and professional.
A firm with a good foundation and history that remains relevant/current to support both its customers and employees
Target Analyst/Reporter (TAR) (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 11, 2018
Booz|Allen|Hamilton (BAH) is a great firm for which to work. My local leadership helped me transition from military to civilian life, preparing me by providing me with the necessary training and opportunities for a successful post military career. I feel local management could've been better organized and proactive; however, they were much better than management I've witnessed from other companies/firms (to include the military), and overall, they made my time with the firm successful.
Pros
Great benefits, and BAH contributes a lot, both financially and through volunteer efforts, to its communities
Cons
BAH tends to be moving more towards client pleasing instead of sticking to BAH's values
Free coffee!
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belcamp, MDOctober 11, 2018
This is a great company that provides a great atmosphere across all of their offices, every office offers same amenities i.e. hotelling, coffee stations, lunch rooms, private phone booths. They have a lot of team functions for business and fun. Great benefits and work life balance.
Very flexible work structure
Systems Engineer, Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lexington Park, MDOctober 8, 2018
Our team was extremely flexible. This allowed us to be very responsive to our customers and provided a very fast paced diverse work environment. This type of fast paced environment is not for everyone. It's a much more entrepreneurial mindset.
Pros
Supportive team members and positive work enviornment
Cons
Fast pace deffinitly not for everyone, also could lead to burnout.
Great place to work!
Site Lead, Courseware Developer, Instructor (Former Employee) –  Goodfellow AFB, TXOctober 6, 2018
I wish they were available where I currently reside. Great benefits package and pay. Great advancement opportunities. Great supervisory chain and and also provides great educational benefits.
Pros
Benefits, profit sharing
Cons
contractual
Fascinating Work But Government Mentality
Global Strategic Sourcing and Contracts (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 4, 2018
If you're looking for interesting work (and lots of it), Booz Allen is a great place to learn. Unfortunately, when you work on the indirect side of the company there are very few opportunities for advancement. It's easier to leave and come back at a higher position than to advance internally.
Pros
Fascinating work and educational experiences
Cons
Excessive workloads and management more focused on reports than value
Great, collaborative, flexible, excellent benefits, largely DC-based
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 3, 2018
I have no complaints other than the lack of work, therefore potential lack of job security, outside of the DC area. The overall company culture and management is great and the projects are interesting.
productive
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2018
I liked working for Booz Allen Hamilton. If you're in the right project you will love working here. The company promote from within and offer many benefits.
Top Performance - Valued
Senior Accounting Manager (Sr. Associate) (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 1, 2018
Booz Allen and its culture were a top priority, always. Employee feedback and assessment e used appropriately to ensure a strong, highly skilled, and collaborative workforce. Still, one of the best opportunities in my career.
High-level / Non-technical
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  USASeptember 28, 2018
Booz Allen seems like a great company with a real desire to help their employees grow throughout their careers. Salary and benefits are great, and the corporate culture is perfectly fine. Be ready for a lot of Rah! Rah! for the home team internal marketing. At times it feels like being a freshman at a Big-10 school.

Booz Allen is very diverse, and I've been really impressed by the number of women in leadership positions. Working as an engineer in Defense and Aerospace, I've had very few female colleagues or bosses at other companies.

In many markets, the majority of Booz Allen employees work on client (i.e. gov't) sites, rather than corporate offices, so day-to-day work culture is entirely dependent on assigned project, client, and work location.

As an engineer with a R&D background, I find much of the work too non-technical. It is very management and policy-oriented, so be sure to understand what the company does. If you're interested in growing vertically through the ranks from lead to program manager, etc, it may be a great place for you. If you're an engineer/scientist, you may be too far removed from the technical aspects to find the work challenging and engaging.

But it's a big company (more than 25,000 employees), so my experience only covers a small sample of what the company is and does. Your experience may end up being entirely different than mine.
25 Year employee, Great company, and great people. Work Life very strong, Fair compensation
Manager - Purchasing Business Systems (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 27, 2018
Booz Allen is a great place to work and is people focused. 25 years with company with very few problems. Some speed bumps when going public and additional procedures and documentation made for a slower process in key areas of administration. Overall great experience.
Pros
People are outstanding
Cons
Very regulated
Productive work environment
Imagery Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 25, 2018
Great work environment and a great supervisor. My supervisor is a great mentor and the firm tends to have a lot of opportunities for me to grow. I am looking to completely switch my tradecraft and they are behind me 100%
Pros
The bench and job security
Opportunity Abounds
Sr. Human Capital Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 24, 2018
There is plenty of professional opportunity and growth when working for Booz Allen. I had career experiences that will prepare me well for future positions as I am transitioning my career.
Pros
Refrain
Cons
Refrain
Terrible Work Environment
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 23, 2018
I would never recommend working here to anyone. For profit=great salaries and nothing else. No mentors, no communication, managers are horrible and not supportive. Most of the time never present to assist when concerns arise. Ethics hotline does not work, even though firm has a no retaliation policy, retaliation in the firm still exists. Huge disconnect between employees. If you want to learn about writing proposals so that the firm can increase their own profitability and presence on the stock market, this place is for you. If you don't mind being insecure in your job and notified that you can be terminated at anytime, go for it. Some of the major things you don't learn about this firm and consulting firms in general:

FIRST DAY: ONCE YOU ARRIVE ON YOUR FIRST DAY YOU ARE "ON THE BENCH" UNTIL YOU EITHER FIND YOUR OWN PROJECT OR SOMEONE WILL ASSIST YOU (WHICH NEVER HAPPENS). If you don't find a job you are given a termination letter. Human Resources is not human resources, you can never get directly in touch with them and you can never FaceTime with them on site anywhere. You can call the help desk to put a ticket in for every single thing that goes wrong which takes up to 3-5 days for a response, and most of the responses are not what you are looking for.

COMPANY 401K MATCH: Not a match folks. You can contribute as much as you want every month, but you WILL NOT receive a match until the end of the year in one lump sum from the firm. If you leave the firm in November or December, or are given a termination letter, forget about it. You will not receive the 10-11 months
  more... of match due to you, which can be typically tens of thousands of dollars. RIP OFF.

EDUCATION: Tuition reimbursement is 5,000 per year. You can go to any government agency or not for profit and negotiate or take advantage of their more effective programs. REMEMBER THIS: You have to stay with the firm for 12-18 months from the date you receive tuition reimbursement or you have to pay back 100% of the reimbursement in full.

HEALTH INSURANCE: Horrible. Like most companies. You are "self-insured." Pay your huge deductible, copayments, and then insurance starts kicking in. If you are healthy and don't need doctors appointments, well, think of another option instead of paying out thousands of dollars to the firm that you will never use.

TURNOVER RATE: Huge. People come and go in this firm like I have never seen before. Great for college kids, and Senior Associates who love to swear on client sites, put people down, and fight with clients in general. Not a great environment if you looking to feel good about what you do. Trust me, there are better jobs out there than working at this firm. You want to go here, you will remember this post and you didn't hear the warning signs.
Pros
Great for retirees who want to come off the couch and go to work again
Cons
Lack of communication, terrible, unqualified management, not supportive, terrible 401K match (or lack thereof)
Good Company
Senior Consultant/Gap Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Good Company, but the culture was not for me. However, I did enjoy the time I spent with the company. I am not interested in being a consultant. If you are, then BAH is a great company to work for.
Great contractors
Operations Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
Does great work with the US government they are constantly seeking new projects to pursue and new people to help grow the business. My only qualm was management turnover.
A great company to work for
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Booz Allen is a great company, with great benefits that are unmatched by other management consulting firms. The firm cares about its employees and goes out of their way to ensure a wonderful work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booz Allen Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

44%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

70%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss