Booz Allen Hamilton Employee Reviews

Very relaxed and fun place to work
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 15, 2018
The only thing I don't like about this company is the pay. If you're coming in at an entry level position, its a great starting place for a career. But you will have to change jobs to see a substantial pay increase or to even get fair market price because they don't budge to much on what their going to pay you.
Pros
Amazing environment, fun and relaxed place to work
Cons
Pay
My experience was not a good one
Sr. Human Capital Analyst (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 14, 2018
My first year was awesome, because of the manager I reported up to. When a reorg took place I did not get placed under a good manager. We had a different vision of my future at the firm.
Cons
Bad Management
Best of the best
Geospatial Analyst / Cartographer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 12, 2018
Easily the best contracting company I have ever worked for. Not afraid to put their workers ahead of the client. Professionalism is top notch and deliver everywhere they are positioned in the work force.
A competitive company that fosters professional growth
CI/HUMINT Analyst, INSCOM (Current Employee) –  Ft. Mead, MDJanuary 12, 2018
During my tenure with BAH, I was able to grow professionally and personally. I was always awarded opportunities to learn more about the "business" if I wished. Definitely a rewarding company to work for.
Fascinating and involved work
Computer Graphics Artist / Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAJanuary 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working in Crystal City and working on computer graphics. I loved being around the military personnel and assisting the Navy with proposals and contracts. This was one of my favorite positions.
Smart People, great opportunity
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 10, 2018
I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton for 2.5 years. The corporate culture was something that took a bit to get used to, but the people are incredibly knowledgeable and willing to help you progress in your career.
terrible raises
Acquisition Lead - ARMY, Medical Communications (Current Employee) –  Fort Detrick, MDJanuary 10, 2018
Annual Raises are limited to contract you are on. Therefore, annual raise can be NOTHING if contract does not allow. Not at all based on performance.
If you want to have Booz Allen on your resume for career advancement, this would be a good company for 3 - 5 years.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 8, 2018
Booz Allen used to be a good place to work when it was a privately held company because people were more valued and the benefits were very good and better in comparison with others in their field. If you want work life balance, forget it. This isn't the place for you. Also, as far as working from home or off-site, it depends on your manager. I worked on a team where some staff worked from home a lot, all the time, or rarely and it depended on your direct report. It certainly wasn't fair and still isn't well received on that particular team. If you want to feel valued, you may want to reconsider working here. It's a large company and you will probably be just a number. Again, being just number may not be bad for a career move but, if you are looking to be valued enough for pay increases or advancement, you will more than likely be disappointed. When staff realize this, they usually leave the firm and find better jobs elsewhere. Also, management will not tell you when you are hired that you may never ever get a pay increase or any promotion, and this has happened to staff I have known for over 4 years. If you are not a Senior Associate or a Principal level, you are not deemed important and you will be expendable. They conduct a lot of their business via the phone because so many people work off-site. The hardest part of the job is getting information from so many people in such a large firm to do your job. People are maxed out on their workloads. Also, pleasing the many leaders in this organization is almost impossible. Several are former military and seem to complain  more... a lot. Again, if you need to feel valued and don't want just a paycheck, and want advancement, look elsewhere. It can also be cutthroat depending on your team. People seem to thrive on throwing people under the bus. The most enjoyable part of the job was my work and my coworkers, not management. Management cares mostly about themselves. If you go here, find a few mentors and hang on to them for dear life. You will need people to get you elevated. Several peers have left for advancement since they couldn't get it here.  less
Pros
job security
Cons
advancement, raises
Did not like
C&A Analyst / IA Portfolio manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2018
Did not like working here at all. Management was unhelpful and crass and not well run. Management does not have employees backs in situations with the client, BAH corporate ladder and upward mobility is also severely limited.
Standard Big Company
Project Scheduler/ Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, WAJanuary 6, 2018
This is your standard consulting firm. Has gotten watered down over time. Good place to start off and learn how to break into consulting. Not the same firm it used to be at one time investment in it people was key now its turning into a body shop.
Pros
great place to start
Cons
Same ole big company vibe
A Great place to work
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 5, 2018
I love working for Booze Allen, you have to love networking and marketing , working from home was a plus and meeting new people everyday was awesome. I have always wanted to experience consulting work and to be able to travel from state to state
Pros
working from home
Cons
time management
Great company to work for.
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDJanuary 4, 2018
Booz Allen and Hamilton provides great opportunities within the company. The environment is very professional and the technology and the way they look at the tech field is very forward thinking.
Great Company
Tester Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 3, 2018
Booz Allen Hamilton is an excellent company to work for. They offer a competitive benefits package. My career has grown over the last 11 years and growth is very important for the company. You would not be stagnant at Booz.
Job Security
Associate (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 3, 2018
Does not pay as well as other consulting firms but you do have job security.

Very male dominated management structure.

The promotion structure is not well defined.
Great first company
Deputy Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 31, 2017
BAH is a great place to start a career or transition from the military. With a sound structure and great benefits, it allows you to grow and learn the industry. However, growth in some markets is capped if you aren't a certain retired rank from the military, so be cognizant of what markets you work in if you are not a retired Major or higher.
Great company
Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 31, 2017
great place to work its very flexible and people are there to make sure whatever you want to do with your career is what they help you achieve. I approve.
Good place to work but a bit overstaffed
Lead Technologist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2017
As a government contractor, I think Booz is fairly typical. They seem to really beef up the staff for their contracts but they end up with way too many people for the jobs at hand. This makes for a lot of thumb twiddling, as well as creating unnecessary work for the sole purpose of fulfilling contractual obligations - regardless of the actual necessity.

Although I like my team, my manager, and my client, I feel like sometimes I'm a wasted asset because I'm paid well to do things just to stay busy but my actual role is quite redundant on our team.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay. Many locations means there are opportunities to move around.
Cons
Lots of busy-work, Lots of back-slapping and "team building" bs that has very little to do with the actual work.
Stressful Place to Work
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 26, 2017
The experience at Booz Allen varies widely depending on your team. Some teams are social and advancement is possible, others are stressful and you get stuck. The company is trying hard to change its image to a more modern and fun place to work, we'll see if it works. Hasn't changed much but the window dressing so far.
Pros
Generally flexible about telework
Cons
Small annual raises, stuffy environment, bad health insurance
Senior Lead Cyber Security Technologist Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CADecember 21, 2017
We have one guiding purpose—to empower people to change the world. Our founder, Edwin Booz said it best: “Start with character… and fear not the future.” We bring a ferocious integrity to change the status quo, today and throughout our more than 100-year history. Each day, we imagine, invent, and deliver new ways to better serve our employees, our clients, and the world.
Satisfactory
Incident Response Handler (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZDecember 19, 2017
rovided guidance to tier one and regional Cyber responders for the proper handling of Cyber security incidents
Coordinated efforts of regional Cyber defense teams and provide timely updates to senior leaders
Provided recommendations to leaders and Cyber responders, as required
Provide support by monitoring real-time security alerts and identify and prioritize potential threats

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booz Allen Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.