Play YouTube video button

Booz Allen Hamilton Employee Reviews

Found 1,739 reviews matching the search See all 1,773 reviews
Good worklife balance, but not competitive re: compensation/benefits
Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
Pros: Great people, good work-life balance, good training/learning opportunities.

Cons: The culture has changed substantially in the last 5 years due to tremendous growth and switch from private to publicly-owned. Used to have entrepreurial, dynamic atmosphere; now is just another bureaucratic corporate behemoth that continues to make cuts to compensation/benefits in order to meet quarterly earnings and satisfy shareholders.

Overall: Decent place to start a career, but not really a place to remain long-term.
A firm with a good foundation and history that remains relevant/current to support both its customers and employees
Target Analyst/Reporter (TAR) (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 11, 2018
Booz|Allen|Hamilton (BAH) is a great firm for which to work. My local leadership helped me transition from military to civilian life, preparing me by providing me with the necessary training and opportunities for a successful post military career. I feel local management could've been better organized and proactive; however, they were much better than management I've witnessed from other companies/firms (to include the military), and overall, they made my time with the firm successful.
Pros
Great benefits, and BAH contributes a lot, both financially and through volunteer efforts, to its communities
Cons
BAH tends to be moving more towards client pleasing instead of sticking to BAH's values
Great if you ultimately want to be your own boss
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 12, 2018
Booz Allen stresses from the start that you are a consultant. They want you to evolve into your own independent unit that can both do work on the ground for an existing contract and be the sort of person who looks for ways to bring in new business for the company. This works well for some people and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.

Unfortunately, they tend to stress the "bring in new work" side more than the "fulfill existing obligations" part of things. They want everyone to put in hours here and there on things like proposal work or hiring events in addition to the 40 hours a week that you are expected to work on direct billable contract work (you know, work we already signed up for). Also, the process for annual salary increases is the most painful I've ever seen.
Pros
definitely opportunities for advancement if you can see them and take them
Cons
"highly encouraged" overtime, management doesn't often factor in your interests
Good Place to Work but Know What You're Getting Into
Lead Scientist/Cyberspace Planner (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2018
Not a terrible place to work. The majority of people are intelligent, interesting people with whom to work. The company has multiple cultures and personalities--McClean versus other cities; the downtown office versus client site; M-F/8-4 vs. flexible/remote workers, etc.

I would advise anyone seeking employment with Booz Allen to find a friend who already works there and take them to lunch and have a real heart-to-heart conversation about what it's like to be a government contractor BEFORE they decide to pursue this path. I wish I had done that, versus latch onto the first job offer that came my way after my first career.
Pros
Good benefits package; good 401K matching; keep good employees between contracts
Cons
Salary increases can be insultingly low, promotion system is a magical black box, promote many too soon (and they leave), meanwhile others' "careers" wither and they give up hope
Management can make or break the experience.
Lead Technologist, Cloud Engineer (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 14, 2018
My experience has been enjoyable mainly because of my career/job manager who lets me work autonomously with no micromanaging. The benefits and PTO are great, 20 days PTO and health insurance subsidized by the company at about 75%. The downside to consulting is that you are like a contractor and are responsible for constantly finding projects depending on contract length.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Work Life balance
Cons
Most Cloud/IT projects require clearance, Consulting similar to contracting.
Right Wing Boys Club
Senior Consultant/Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 18, 2018
The team that I worked with was a boys club of right wing conservatives who chopped it and and held more meetings than they actually did work. However, they were promoted and praised because they were "apart of the culture." I actually had a lead associate take me to lunch to cynically tell me why I was not getting promoted although, I successfully did the bulk of the work on the task. My 'team' complained that I was not apart of the team and was taking the hero approach to complete all of the projects that were assigned to me without telling them the secret to my success. I was reviewed for not playing the game and adhering to the rules that the boy's club wanted me to follow. What's bad is that I was told this was a smug look on his face. If you want to actually work and not have useless meetings all day then, this is not the position for you. This team has zero integrity.
Pros
Opportunity to learn the latest IT trends
Cons
The 'culture' that you are supposed to fit into even if it is outside of your morals and integrity, Leaders who have their roles because of the politics and not the work as well they are clueless, at least, on my project they were
overall a good company with good values on paper
Washington D.C. - Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, WAJuly 7, 2018
Booz Allen was founded by some great people. Company culture is just like a government agency. Which means people stay there longer and try to achieve work life balance. Once you reach a certain level for example a Sr. Associate or Lead Associate, its impossible to go farther without connections. Certainly not based on performance once you reach that level. I left because I was part of Sr. leadership but I didn't see any opportunity for growth nor encouragement from my leaders to propel me forward. Leadership in our team was happy to maintain status quo.
Pros
Great people, culture, lots of team building events, good to learn basic consulting skills and good for out of college folks
Cons
Lead associate and Sr. associate is a parking lot, Your career stops there doesn't matter how hard/smart you work.
Collaborative Culture with Room for Lateral Movement
Software Intern (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 31, 2018
The culture is collaborative, and the work is meaningful (defense, federal, etc.). Work life balance is a plus, and many people telework for at least part of the week. There are many opportunities for cross-training, learning new skills, and lateral movement. Your professional network is crucial to your success at this company. The corporate structure and organizational strategy leave much to be desired, cause confusion, and contribute to a good bit of inefficiency. In the same vein, the high ratio of managers to 'workers' contributes leaves much to be desired.
Pros
Meaningful work, Good work life balance, Professional development encouraged
Cons
Inefficient organizational strategy, High attrition rate
Good when you have work, not so much when you don't!
UX Designer, Associate (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHJune 20, 2018
BAH is a great experience, especially when you are starting out in your career! The benefits and salaries are great for starting out! The people are fantastic and all super sharp! I really enjoyed the local office culture.

If you have a niche job though, it is hard to find work. Most of the clientele is the DoD, so you bend to their will, their time schedules, as well as their requirements (or lack thereof) for work. The government tends to also contract the lowest acceptable cost bids, which cuts out what I do.

BAH does have a bench, which is nice. You don't get let go immediately if you can't find work right away. Plus, they have a lot of opportunities, but most of them require you to relocate.

Half the people who are management were not formally trained. However, I was fortunate to have an amazing Principal and Senior Lead Technologist who helped guide me through my career there.

I have a lot of love for BAH and respect those who have survived in the world of contracting for so long!
Pros
Good salary, benefits, and people!
Cons
Not being billable results in job searching every day!
Pay is great and nice employees
Senior Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2018
Typical day at work was generally from 8 am to 5 pm although there were times when I had to work overtime based on my workload. I supported a Principal and those who reported to him. I had other projects assigned to me.

I was already knowledgeable of how the business was run, because I previously worked as a government contractor.

Management was very helpful until a newly hired employee brought issues to the table which resulted in penalties. In turn, it resulted in employees resigning and the company laying off a large number of employees. I was one of them.

Workplace culture was pretty good for many years, but eventually things changed.

The hardest part of my job was keeping internal and external clients on track. Working with the government sometimes can be challenging enough, but then about 50% of our employees were retired military. Enough said.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having great managers. The pay was great too.
Pros
Great salary
High-level / Non-technical
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  USASeptember 28, 2018
Booz Allen seems like a great company with a real desire to help their employees grow throughout their careers. Salary and benefits are great, and the corporate culture is perfectly fine. Be ready for a lot of Rah! Rah! for the home team internal marketing. At times it feels like being a freshman at a Big-10 school.

Booz Allen is very diverse, and I've been really impressed by the number of women in leadership positions. Working as an engineer in Defense and Aerospace, I've had very few female colleagues or bosses at other companies.

In many markets, the majority of Booz Allen employees work on client (i.e. gov't) sites, rather than corporate offices, so day-to-day work culture is entirely dependent on assigned project, client, and work location.

As an engineer with a R&D background, I find much of the work too non-technical. It is very management and policy-oriented, so be sure to understand what the company does. If you're interested in growing vertically through the ranks from lead to program manager, etc, it may be a great place for you. If you're an engineer/scientist, you may be too far removed from the technical aspects to find the work challenging and engaging.

But it's a big company (more than 25,000 employees), so my experience only covers a small sample of what the company is and does. Your experience may end up being entirely different than mine.
Bah
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 29, 2018
Booz is a good company and I particularly appreciate the medical benefits and the 401(k) match of six percent. However, the management has change dramatically since I worked for the company earlier. They now are more geared toward business development -- which is great but not at the expense of the employees who currently work for the company. If you are a highly technical person with emphasis on cyber you will be highly sought after. If not and you work as a consultant --- I wouldn't count on much interaction with your leadership or a mentoring environment for your success.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement if your leadership approves, medical and 401(k).
Cons
Mid-level management seems overwhelmed, and not particularly concerned with your welfare or advancement.
Amazing Company to work for
Cyber Protocol and Executive Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 20, 2018
Booz Allen Hamilton is an amazing company to work for. They ensure a culture of taking care of their people and ensures career enhancement. The management and leadership depending on what area you work for emphasizes mission but the catering of ensuring their people come first
Pros
promotions/awards
Cons
depending on mission, it can be long hours
Team-oriented atmosphere, transparent management team
Associate (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, VAOctober 29, 2018
Booz Allen has provided acceptance and security by being transparent in their communication to the work staff. Also, the culture is team based, so collaboration is key for success. Work-life balance is available via a flexible work arrangement form and regular communication with management.
They WILL throw you under the bus if the customer says they don’t “like” you regardless of how you perform.
Associate (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCNovember 3, 2018
No effort in team building except for occasional luch or dinner which not needed expected or effective. Booz treats their relationship with the client as a popularity contest. When I works we had a very high attrition rate like 50% in 6 months. Think butts and seats when you think Booz. There is a vast gap between whet they preach as company culture and what the management practices every day.
Pros
They give you some opportunities to find other jobs within the company
Cons
Be prepared to be thrown under the bus
Depends on the client
Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 23, 2018
My experience was that government clients wanted to transform their organizations without making drastic changes. Project leads rarely seemed willing to let client know when their expectations were not achievable without making major changes.

Asked to write your own appraisals. Expectation is that you will participate in proposal development on your own time and consider it career development. Not participating in proposal development will ensure your not promoted.
Pros
Certification benefits
Cons
Business development on your time
Very professional sophisticated culture, excellent information sharing
Consultant Communications (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VANovember 17, 2018
Job expected dress code with high standard and had a strong culture as at the time they had been in business for 90 years. Compensation was very competitive, and perks for as an example day care on premises was provided. Since I left the company has been sold and all my experiences could now be invalid.
Pros
self owned and therefore not interested in immediate profits, very strategic in policy and opportunities
Cons
Highly structured
Fascinating Work But Government Mentality
Global Strategic Sourcing and Contracts (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 4, 2018
If you're looking for interesting work (and lots of it), Booz Allen is a great place to learn. Unfortunately, when you work on the indirect side of the company there are very few opportunities for advancement. It's easier to leave and come back at a higher position than to advance internally.
Pros
Fascinating work and educational experiences
Cons
Excessive workloads and management more focused on reports than value
Good place to grow
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 12, 2018
Monolithic firm with large matrixed bureaucracy. EVERYTHING is collaborative. Promotions and raises are very subjective--annual summary is largely irrelevant. The firm's focus on its core values is REAL and permeates all aspects of the business. Great people. I learned an amazing amount of things about business management, team management and leadership, business development, marketing, government contracting, strategic planning, and technical skills. I am assuming that any large company would be similar in many ways-- the good far, far outweighs any bad.
Pros
people, culture, skills learned, benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy, constant pace of business development
Great, collaborative, flexible, excellent benefits, largely DC-based
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 3, 2018
I have no complaints other than the lack of work, therefore potential lack of job security, outside of the DC area. The overall company culture and management is great and the projects are interesting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booz Allen Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight