Border Cafe Employee Reviews

Can be stressful
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MASeptember 20, 2018
This company is very set in its ways and will not change or listen to advice for change. Its very their way or the highway. No benefits, hard to get the schedule you need to work around family, school, etc. If you are sick they give you a hard time and basically force you to work sick. Management changes so frequently its a sign of what its like to work higher up in this company.
fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MASeptember 13, 2018
border cafe a lot of people worked at the same time so it was fun. Management wasn't the best. They called you in whenever and sent you home anytime according to the business. Work-life balance depends on the kind of shifts you work.

I learned how to consolidate my steps and get the best/max out of myself in the times that i really need.
Fast paced and fun work place with great coworkers
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MASeptember 10, 2018
Although Border Cafe was not my first job serving, it was by far one of the best places I have worked. My former coworkers are all so amazing in every way, we are each unique and outgoing which made every day at work more pleasurable. Everyone wanted everyone to succeed, so the teamwork would just come naturally. Management was overall good. The general manager really cares about his workers and would actually listen to us and try and change things to make work better if a problem every aroused. It was very tough saying goodbye to such amazing people because we were like a family. Besides the great group of people I was fortunate enough to spend time with, the food was just as good. With extremely low entree prices, we attracted a lot of people all times of the day. Authentic Mexican food at a great price, can't beat a deal like that!
Pros
good management, fun workplace, consistently busy, inexpensive food, parking
Workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAAugust 21, 2018
Quick paced very busy everyone’s out for their money , filled with cliques And poor management with their employees , food would come out cold and the cooks did the bear minimum to satisfy their guests
Pros
Good prices
Cons
Not so good food
Fun work environment
Waitress/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Saugus, MAAugust 8, 2018
Love working here, love the managers, customers are fun and nice, shifts are fun and fly by. Convenient to get to, convenient in time for shifts, busy weekends.
Good Fast Paced
Host (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 29, 2018
Fast Paced working environment. Good energy all the time and training on site constantly to get better. Working at Border Cafe is great! They promote from within and stay busy while making customers very happy!
Pros
Great reputation, Good Team
Cons
Pay could be better
Summary
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 27, 2018
Border Cafe was the most fast paced resturant I ever worked at and the money was great. I would have stayed at the job if I had not relocated my living arrangements.
Fast Pace, Close Knit Family
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 23, 2018
It seems that no matter who you are, you'll be accepted into the Border Cafe family. Everyone is willing to help all new comers. The host desk is the first thing you see when walking into the building, and what's more welcoming than some smiling faces, ready to help everyone walking in. The management is great, they make sure everything is running smoothly, but always willing to help solve problems, when they do arise. The hardest part of the job, is leaving when new opportunities come. But the best part, is meeting so many new friendly people.
Pros
50% off Lunch, Meeting New People
Cons
Short breaks
I owned my own restaurant
Principal /Owner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
In the morning to prepare for the day/ordering for the week.
I learned how to maintain my own business.
I was the management with my partner.
It was a casual family/neighborhood restaurant.
The hardest part of the business was slow nights due to bad weather and holiday travel in NY
The most enjoyable part was being there with a packed house.
Pros
Busy nights
Cons
18 hour days
Inconsistency
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 30, 2018
The company is privately owned. Many meeting involved inappropriate behavior by the owner. There were too many changes to menu recipes and the work schedule was impossible to handle.
Pros
the salary was good
Cons
Culture of the company of very negative

Want to know more about Border Cafe?

Ask a question
Friendly environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 7, 2018
The location was great to be around once getting out of work and the co-workers were great to spend time with. I will not be returning because of the pay and as well as the desire to not work with food anymore.
Pros
reduced meals, friendly atmosphere
Cons
minimum wage for starters, long hours, strict dress code
Management is very cut throat.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Christiana, DEDecember 5, 2017
the managers tend to be a little unrealistically strict there. there expectations are super high for such a low compensation. I had dropped a heavy wooden chair on my leg and my ankle was black and blue and it was didficult to walk. I had showed the injury to my general manager(who was very kind) and he told me to leave work and go to the hospital right away. He had left and i had told the manager on duty what the GM had said and that i needed to go and he refused to allow me to leave even tho his superior gave me the okay. I ended up quittting and going to the hospital and found out i bruised my bone and if i hit with any more force it would be broken.
Border cafe
Restaurant Server/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MANovember 13, 2017
Great place for beginner servers. Trained to be better than the industry standard. They are always hiring and the pay is good for a part/full time job not requiring experience or education.
unorganized.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAOctober 25, 2017
i just wanted a change. more pay was need along with school. the pay was okay at the time. very fast pace environment. all other staff had a lot of issues when it came to scheduling.
Pros
food was great.
I hated my experience at Border Cafe
Send it through the dishwasher twice (Former Employee) –  Newark, DE 19713August 23, 2017
I did not like Border Café because the employees were extremely rude and unprofessional, also border cafe wasn't very flexible when it came to school.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
unprofessional
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAJune 8, 2017
Border Cafe is a great place to start your management career. They focus on training of their managers and the owners care about you as a person. The pay and benefits are great as well
Benefits
Cons
Stagnent environment
50 plus servers
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 26, 2017
Border Cafe in Cambridge is so busy that they really need to keep close to 50 servers on staff at any given time. That being said, if you are willing to do the work, study your menu, care about, and take care of customers, then there is money to be made there.

It isn't the easiest food server job, but it was fun to be in an environment where there is up to a two hour wait on a Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday night.

If you love people, love food, and lover taking care of others, this is a good place to start.
Pros
Almost everyone is given a chance
Cons
Competitiveness for shifts and highest paying stations
fun and upbeat
mentor to junior team members (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAMarch 6, 2017
fast pace environment. learned to work as a team. Tex-Mex food
won't find another place around like it.. they thrive on best customer service around. Great training program.
Pros
got 50 % off food
Cons
late nights
A poorly run paper mill
Server, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 25, 2016
It never ran smooth, and was profitable only if the vole e was high because price points we very low. Profits were penny pinching with turn and burn mentality while they filled up your stomach with soda free chips and salsa or drinks.
Pros
good food
Cons
long hours, low employee retention, service standards low, health care package, dirty restaurant
fun and upbeat
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Newark, DelawareSeptember 22, 2015
It gets super crowded and noisy! But the staff handles things well with the help of the managers running things smoothly. Their food is amazing.