BORDER STATES ELECTRIC Employee Reviews

They did the bait and switch
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCApril 1, 2018
I was hired as a Customer Service Rep and then made me a part time Driver, Part time warehouse guy and part time counter sales guy. If you look at the job description you will only see CSR related descriptions without any mention of the other nonsense.

All because they refuse to hire the correct number of people to staff the warehouse properly.....just dump on the new guy...see how much he will take.

I warn you NOT to take this position.
Nice Place
Account Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 12, 2018
Great place to work with friendly people. I wish I could have worked there longer. I was give advancements and was always pushed to do better. Management was good too
Lack of knowledge and customer service and poor management
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  North DakotaFebruary 28, 2018
I don't even know where to begin.... Policies not followed, no leadership and poor management. The receptionist is the rudest sounding person on the phone. There is a serious lack of knowledge on the products they sell.
Pros
Employee owned
Cons
Stress, no leadership, poor management
Official response from BORDER STATES ELECTRIC
March 15, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We have processes to listen to feedback from new, current and exiting employees regularly. The input is used to create continuous improvement plans for our work environment.

Good equipment and pay
CDL Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Newton, KSFebruary 28, 2018
For the most part I enjoyed it. I drove a brand new truck and 53' alum flatbed trailer. Most weekends were off and EXCELLENT benefits. The local manager be-obit- stressful. Mad 80% of the time.
Pros
Trucks and pay
Cons
Short fussed manager
Official response from BORDER STATES ELECTRIC
March 15, 2018

Thank you for the constructive comments. As a 100% employee-owned company, we are proud of our total compensation opportunities for our employee-owners, including the ESOP of course. We continue to invest in our facilities and fleet to provide a safe environment for our employee-owners and best serve our customers. We are proud of our leaders at BSE and invest in their ongoing development.

Management is a joke
Transfer Driver Western Extralite (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 23, 2018
Management wants the work of two people while not giving the required tools to do the job effectively. Requires driver to overload and operate truck in a unsafe manner. And if driver questions anything, driver is told that they are "not a good fit" and terminated without cause
Pros
Cons
Night work, low pay
Fast paced with plenty of work to be done
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 12, 2018
You are required to hit the ground running in this warehouse. You will want to be comfortable using a forklift and also be able to learn company systems on the computer. The hardest part of the job is being able to work at a fast pace in the summer busy season without AC. This company is all about pleasing the customer. If you get in the way of that they will not hesitate to replace you.
Pros
no micro managing
Cons
no AC, no room to advance higher in the company
Poor management
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 30, 2017
Poor management don't listen to the drivers horrible communication when is the issue on site and you try to explain to your manager he will take the customer side and don't listen to you at all
Culture was relaxed with front end technology
Application Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 19, 2017
As an Application Administrator, there was plenty of work to be done and always new projects to work on. The challenges were plentiful with leading edge and up to date software tools to work with.
Pros
leading edge software tools, positive environment and people
Cons
weather conditions, too far from Omaha (location of family)
Long time ago
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Amarillo TXOctober 23, 2017
Fun place to work. No room for growth, but made long lasting friendships and learned some things about electrical equipment. Had to work some Saturdays.
good wuth some bad
Account Manager, DataComm Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 20, 2017
when I started with the company it was Nunn Electric supply with profit sharing around $64 per share, we merged with Border States after I was there for 7 years. and after working there for another 7 years the profit sharing went up to over $1000 a share. great company, but lots of new young managers taking us old guys jobs. oh well the world is still turning
Professional Working Enviornment.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 5, 2017
I was very happy at Border States for the first 5-6 years. Several things began to change my outlook on BSE, therefore it also began to affect my productivity. Overall, BSE is a great place to work, has great benefits, competitive prices compared to other electrical supply houses, and for the most part, a tight knit group pf employees. There are some things that in my opinion should be changed in the management department as well as minor changes needed overall.
Pros
Benefits, Nice Office Space, Above average pay
Cons
:Lack of acknowledgement for a job well done, some employees were not given equal treatment as others for the same things
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2017
Busy all the time. Non stop work from clock in until clock out. Co-workers are great. I've learned the supervisors have a better understanding of what needs to be done on a daily basis to keep things running, Management does not.
Pros
Great benefits
plenty of work
Parts Picker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNAugust 26, 2017
clock in and start working

how to use a standup forklift

supervisor was helpful when we needed help to get the workload out

the hardest part learning the size the pipe you needed to pick
great atmosphere good co workers
Account Manager, DataComm Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 20, 2017
I spent 16 years working for BSE, good people great friends there.
a typical work day was calling on contractors. I learned that if you don't watch your back you can fall behind in the sales game.
management was generally pretty good until they hired a young kid straight out of college with his new ideas.
workplace culture was very calm.
the hardest part of the job was getting used to change.
the most enjoyable part of the job was calling on my customers.
Current manager must be replaced for this branch to thrive
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 20, 2017
the manager brought into run the local office , had no prior knowledge of area, nor did he possess a desire to learn culture.
no visits to customers, always on phone making personal calls. recently divorced. too young to take on responsibility of running local sales office. Immature, unfair, easily influenced by tenured employees.

dressed too casual for position, jeans and t-shirts to work.
Great learning exp, for the electrical industry
Office Admin (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 26, 2017
Great learning experience for the electrical industry. Many opportunities to network with other vendors. Benefits are amazing! It was nice to be called an employee owner, although you are not fully invested until your 7th year of employment.
Pros
Lunch and learns
Poor Management at all levels
Sales (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 8, 2017
Good, hard working people at the local level but poor management from there on up. They tend to make many knee jerk decisions without regard to the consequences
Pros
Retirement & Health benefits
Loved it!
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 16, 2016
One of my favorite past jobs. It was a lot of fun, the employees were super nice and helpful. Pay could have been higher, but it was manageable for an associates degree.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  TxJuly 19, 2016
Enjoyed working with the other employees. Great people to work with. Enjoyed the day to day operations and the great customers.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Lots of overtime and does not offer good life balance
DELIVERY / WAREHOUSE (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 2, 2016
This company will work YOU to death. Until the work is done. This company also like to do more for less. Expect to work from 6am till at least 5 pm. It is a Monday threw Friday job
Pros
Ok health insurance
Cons
Long hours and low pay and no room for advancement unless you are willing to move

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BORDER STATES ELECTRIC. Our community is ready to answer.