Borgess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great opportunity
Intern Student- Vascular Ultrasound (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 15, 2018
Borgess Medical Center was another experience filled with more mysteries of the human body, the technology they used, and the helpful coworkers that encouraged investigation by talking with said patients, physicians, and local technologists.
Flexible but not secure
Population Panel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 14, 2018
They work with you on balancing work and home life. They continually restructure therefore your job is never secure. It would seem that a lot of people working here move around internally instead of staying within one position. Job descriptions are generally off and you are almost always required to do more than your job requires. Pay doesn't seem to compare to other surrounding hospitals and raises are rare as insurance premiums generally increase, too.
good potlucks
Evs tech (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 13, 2018
I like the fact that we interact with each other and we have a lot of teamwork going on not a bad place to work learn about different medicines and the different health problems people have
Fast paced line work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 11, 2018
It's a good job for College students or people with experience working in a fast food environment because their is no real training, they show you where everything is and throw you in there. The coworkers are unfriendly and so is the manager, she is rude and they tell you that you cant eat free but the cooks are always making something for themselves and their friends, people argue and leave the food line and if they don't like you they will lie to get you fired it is not a job I would recommend to someone who has no experience or thin skin for sure.
Pros
The benefits
Cons
managers and Petty coworkers
n/a
Critical Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2018
Everything is run through the accession ministry instead of their HR. They overload nurses with too many patients. Its not safe for how many patients you have there.
Pros
Employees are very helpful
Cons
too many patients
Under the management of a larger system
Graduate Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2018
Management needs work, it is frustrating to feel the brunt of things that are out of your own hands and even that of management within units. The overarching company in charge is not putting patients and employees first which is disheartening and discouraging.
Pros
Patient Population
Cons
Management is confused
It's ok
EKG Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2018
The workplace is ok. I don't mind working there but the constant sitting down really isn't geared toward what I want to do with my life. You are trained for the job on site.
Productive,Great Learning Experience
Internship (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 2, 2018
Worked with Cerner, Data Analyst(s) and the Clinical Informatics Team. I like that I am able to work remote up to twice a week which is nice. I wish there was more diversity within the departments that I work in.
Fast Paced
Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2018
I worked as a Business Associate on the two busiest floors of the hospital and enjoyed the fast pace. Some people are unable to keep up. The co-workers were awesome to work with.
Okay Part Time Job
Care Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 25, 2018
Good job if you don't expect much. Very crazy management- I never knew who my actual boss was a lot of the time while I worked there with constant management change. In my role many people would call in last minuet and you could get stuck working over many days in a row- good money but you'd be exhausted after a while.
Loved the patients and people I worked with.
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 18, 2018
Management was very unaware of what people did in their department. Did not communicate with their employees unless they were friends with them. Management changed several times. No one knew what anyone did and they didn't seem to care. Management was spread too thin.
Pros
Patients and people I worked with
Overall Experience
Medical Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 11, 2018
Working for Borgess Neurology was mostly a positive experience between staff (doctors, peers...). My shared complaint was management. 8 people were replaced during my time here. I quit for fear of being fired. I was recently notified by previous co-workers this manager was let-go for various reasons. I would now recommend Borgess Neurology to a friend knowing this...
Typical Work Day In The ER
Patient Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 2, 2018
A typical work day at Borgess Medical Hospital ER will be doing insurance verification or helping people get insurance and also updating and registering patients.
Pros
organization
Cons
should get paid lunches
Unsafe Staffing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 28, 2018
Unsafe staffing ratios, high turnover, toxic work environment, new hires don’t stick around, everyone else just sits around, puts in minimal effort and does the bare minimum to get through their shift, only to dump it all in the next sucker’s lap at shift change. Patient care is suffering at this facility. Ultimately I left for a neighboring hospital with lower nurse to patient ratios and increased staff and patient safety. Don’t let the recent mysterious influx of 5 Star ratings here fool you, Borgess is more troubled than ever.
Pros
Water Street Coffee
Cons
Unsafe staffing
Labor intensive
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 24, 2018
As my employment at Borgess was far less than satisfactory I will refrain my comments as to not get to involved with the disappointment of the job I had, the requirements of that specific job or how I was treated in that position.
Pros
Cant think of any
Cons
Many of cons.
prn status is easily expendable.
Registered Nurse (PRN) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 23, 2018
I was a prn nurse in the endoscopy lab, my hours and my position changed from day to day, even thought I was hired as an exclusively endoscopy nurse circulator. There were changes made and I needed to "roll with the changes" so to speak. I feel I was ultimately let go due to the temporary reduction of prn nursing and made an example.
Pros
higher pay
Cons
majority of times, no breaks or lunches due to nursing shortages .
A Good Place to Work
Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist - Level III (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 22, 2018
Not having worked in any other cath lab, I have no comparison to make. My overall experience at Borgess has been quite positive. Borgess is an Ascension Health medical center and has lost some of its local identity in the process, but that is where healthcare is going. As a result, it can seem as though directives/initiatives are impersonal, but, in reality, no different than any other medical center.
Pros
Fosters experienced staff
Cons
Older cardiologists unwilling to change
Working on Mental Health has its days but for the most part it's very laid-back and we work together as a team I love my job
Patient Care Associate (PCA) (Current Employee) –  1521 Gull Road Kalamazoo Michigan 49048March 20, 2018
love my job I enjoy working in mental health I have great manager I have great team support we work as a team I will recommend Borgess to anyone very caring and compassionate people I work with management is very great
WoodBridge Borgess Lab
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 14, 2018
I worked there, it was great. If you are PRN they only want you from 3 to 6 and sometimes 7 which does not happen a lot. They have full time and part-time people so PRNs do not get enough hours.
Pros
relaxing in the evenings
Cons
can be very busy at morning
Very productive workplace, with remote work options.
SOLUTIONS DEVELOPMENT SR. ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 10, 2018
The team at Borgess were great. They were very flexible and allowed options for remote work when needed. I my position, I feel like more training would have been very beneficial. Overall this was a great place to work.