Borough of Manhattan Community College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very relaxing, non stressful office work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2018
I was an assistant in the Office of Disability in Borough of Manhattan Community College. I helped students with their note taking and also guiding them for appointments within the office.
A day as a peer mentor
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Working as a peer mentor I got to experience working with other people and has helped my communication skills. I had no work experience or working with others well and with this job it gave me a ton of that. It's just hard because you don't get paid very much and you get paid every two weeks. I learned this is what I want to do for the rest of my life but keep moving up.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
Not a high pay
Good Working Environment
Career Coach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
The school environment is very supportive of the students. However when I started 20 years ago there were more students enrolled in our career planning classes. I see this program slowly being eliminated when the program should be expanded, due to the need for more students to participate in the Internship Programs.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Program is slowly being elimated
BMCC Summary
MATHEMATICS TUTOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
I thank Borough of Manhattan Com. Col. for giving me the opportunity to be an employee. In the past there was promotion. these days promotion, benefits are slow to be offered at any Job.
Pros
Respectful co workers
Cons
Would like raise, promotions, benefits
Very productive
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 10, 2018
Great place to work in especially if you are a student. They are flexible with you and work with you. Education is top priority for every department. Pay was not great. Staff was a pleasure to work with and even went out of their way to give me a great good bye, and I’m always welcome back anytime.
Pros
Flexibility, great staff
Cons
Pay
Fun and engaging work environment with colleagues motivating each other
Assistant Designer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2018
Had a great experience, gained a lot of knowledge and new work experience in a fantastic environment. The job was temporary but I learned and gained some much during my time there.
Pros
Long breaks, engaging staff, free lunch, exciting projects
Cons
short-term
Self development
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
It was a wonderful experience that I enjoyed. I learned about my skills and about other students culture and their background. I found myself within the students and helping them to overcome their struggle
Good experience
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2018
Working in an academic environment is the best place to work for students. Management was nice and helpful as well as my coworkers. I enjoy working with other top students
it was calm
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
it was calm slow pace less headaches the students were friendly others had attitudes but i never let it get in the way of my job i did what i had to do
Pros
slow
Cons
didn't pay enough
Very exciting
Executive Director of Public Affairs (Former Employee) –  Chambers Street, N ew YorkJune 24, 2018
I found the job very exciting. A typical day begin with looking at our web stories and then ordering a new line of stories for day. Our writers started to cover stories and our web people began to work with our photographer to order the photos for the day.

What I enjoyed most was either responding to reporters inquiries or writing press releases on new breakthroughs on science or the humanities.

At 11 am we'd hold our daily meeting and go around the room and see where we were on video stories, new design s for marketing materials, as well as check on the progress of BMMC Highlights, which covered the most interesting students at the college. This publication was distributed to the political leadership in the State of New York.

At noon on Monday I attended the Executive Committee, which was an amalgam of the leadership of the college. We moved from one speaker to another--from Vice President of Academic Affairs to....... I found that it was there that I would be able to open up about media placement, the web site, the process on the development of a mobile web site, as well coordination with the Office of Development.

I found the experience to be exhilarating and life-changing.
Pros
The excitement of working with the media and developing new initiatives.
Cons
The slow implementation of new ideas by the CEO
Fine physical environment
Supplemental Instructor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students at this job and, as such a typical day would bring tremendous joy as I interact with the large numbers of student who would come to me for assistance. The supervisors were quite supportive and there were frequent training workshops.
Pros
several opportunities for improvement
Upbeat place to work
Assistant baseball coach/Recruiting coordinator (Current Employee) –  199 chambers stJune 5, 2018
Great place to work , located in manhattan easily accessable , the support staff is friendly and helpful, I love to work with such a mix of students and athletes
Collaborative work environment
Regulated access control to student body (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2018
Borough of Manhattan Community College is a diverse environment that entails making sure the premises is safe. It is most definitely a home away from home.
Very busy work place
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2018
I had a good experience working here it help me to understand how much work and how important
It is to be a librarian assistant the librarians are very busy 24/7 but otherwise every one does there job and are very helpful to help when a person doesn’t understand something
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short lunchbreaks
Fun co-workers
College Assistant-Media Technician (Current Employee) –  Borough of Manhattan Community CollegeApril 26, 2018
Working at BMCC has been a really fun opportunity. I have met some people who will be lifelong friends. However, the pay could be better but the hours are flexible.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Low pay
it was a work study job
Development Skills Reading Lab College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2018
2-3 hours per day
skilled an alpha/numerical files, better communication
manage my time
multicultural
it was easy
getting together with co-workers
Best place to work
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
Best work area, very considerate and understanding of personal situations.
If you can get a job there, go for it! The workers there are very nice and supporting.
Pros
Only good things to say
productive and nice work place
Engineering Sciences Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2018
Great place where you can learn many things. There are many things nice about this place such as the area, food and people. Many great place where you could go as well.
Need more hours and benefits
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 3, 2018
It sometimes get very over worked ans stressful. I will make a person decide to work somewhere else where they will be treated fairly. A job should make one excited about working there not discouraged.
Great
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
It was more of a internship because i was attending school at the time. learned to work with other, computer skills and a lot more experiences in a work environment.