Boscov's Department Store Employee Reviews

Overall ok
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 15, 2019
The managament is not great but the employees are always the saving grace they will help you if you need it. The Human Resources manager could care less if you have an altercation and won't help unless absolutely necessary. Although at hiring I was told advancement was a possibility I became a supervisor and then from that point they began to hire managers from other department stores.
Enjoyed my job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day at Boscov's was waiting on and helping customers. I learned patience and great communication is key to a great customer service experience. I enjoyed every aspect of working at Boscov's.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Basically like high school all over again
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJFebruary 9, 2019
If you enjoy being talked to like you’re a child by your store manager this is the place for you. The world is expected of you while still have to run the register, recover the floor, put out stock, keep the register clean, clean out the fitting rooms which is fine but when you aren’t able to finish everything since we are not Superman, you are scoffed at and talked to like you’re an idiot by said manager. It’s A bunch of grown women spreading rumors like we are in 9th grade. It seems to be hard for most of the management to understand that not everyone’s life revolves around Boscovs and we still have lives to work about. We’ve been told we couldn’t go to the bathroom because there was no one to cover the register. No support when dealing with screaming customers,all you have to do is cause a scene and you will get whatever you want and then we look like idiots just for trying to enforce the rules that are supposed to be in place and then we are often blamed and written up when it wasn’t our fault. It’s just little things like that piled on top of everything else that makes it a dreadful experience. Just an overall depressing and extremely frustrating place to work.
Pros
Paid sick time, discount, flexible hours, some coworkers
Cons
Horrible management, terrible communication, everything else
Go to another retailer.
Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 8, 2019
Underpaid for the amount of hours you work..Better pay at other retailers. Management has no backbone in dealing with associates. Associates never available when needed.
Easy job, but no training
Internet Coordinator (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 8, 2019
I was only there as a temp, but had little to no training before being thrown into the field. There wasn't much to the job, but having more than 10 minutes of training would have been helpful
Good discount
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJFebruary 7, 2019
You have a 15% discount plus if youhave the card another 15%; also special ofers and special day sales. You can get what ever you whant super cheap and they sale a lot of stuff.
Not a bad company to work for
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Meriden, CTFebruary 5, 2019
Just like any other retail place. If you want to move up in the company, the opportunity is there. Overall I would recommend this place to work for if you want to be in retail.
No concern for employees personal lives
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 5, 2019
Loved my job, but corporate makes poor decisions. I had an issue they were aware of and they did not work with me to support me through that issue. They let me go.
Pros
vacation
Cons
no support
Love my coworkers.
Receiving and Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Eatontown, NJFebruary 3, 2019
Great people to work with. Management works "in the trenches" alongside of everyone in all facets of the business. Location close to my home is a plus.
Depends on the day
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAFebruary 2, 2019
I have had a great experience with most of the people at Boscovs. Internally management is very good. Management is focused on profits, as well as the employees, they usually do a good job dealing with people. There are very considerate people, and then there are others that can be very moody. While some people are willing to help others, there are of people that could care less. You will hear people of all ages just respond "It's not my job", even when it's something simple and would be helpful to co-workers. Overall I'd say the positivity is 90% to 10%.
Pros
Nice people that care
Cons
Some cranky moody people that don't belong in retail.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 30, 2019
I loved this job because I had the chance to deal with varies of cultures and I learn s lot from my customers. Working in fashion/watches I was one of the stop sales person,and that was great
Manager
Area Manager / Hard lines cordinator (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJanuary 29, 2019
Card and Gift store. Worked on the floor waiting on customers at the check out counter. This is a season store so if cards and displays need to be changed for the next season I work to stock new merchandise for the season.
Overall not a bad place to work
Cosmetics Counter Manager, Visual (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTJanuary 24, 2019
Stressful during the holidays, co-workers were fun to work with. My department manager was great to work for.

Benefits would have been nice but were not available for part timers.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Stressful holidays
Everybody wants to be a manager
Customer Service Representative Call Center (Former Employee) –  Laureldale, PAJanuary 23, 2019
It seemed to me that there are as many managers as workers. They had no management training or education. Attitude of doing you a favor if you ask a question. All in competition with each other. Backstabbing and gossip are commonplace. You can put in alot of overtime and receive no credit for it. Managers speak poorly of each other. The place is an awful factory building with a candy machine and milk machine in the cafeteria. Pay is terrible. Unrealistic expectations. No oversight. No communication.
Pros
some customer serv people are nice
Cons
appalling management, terrible atmosphere physically and mentally
I loved it
Boscovs (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJJanuary 22, 2019
everyone at the store was really helpful! when i first came into thr store everyone was really friendly and greeted me. i was trained really good, i loved working here!
Utterly ridiculous
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYJanuary 22, 2019
After working there for a year I was told my job was “seasonal” and that they “did not have any available positions”, and had to find a new job. Human resources was disrespectful and inappropriate. There is extreme favoritism, SEVERAL full families work there. If you do extra work or hard work it is not appreciated and generally unnoticed. The store is not kept clean. Other employees are rude, customers are extremely abusive. One of the worst jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Minimum wage, many hours, discount
Cons
Horrible management, horrible staff, horrible customers
Friendly Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHJanuary 18, 2019
I Enjoyed working at Boscov's. A couple issues with management but not horrible. Holiday hours were rough, however the company did a good job in the benefits they provided
Nice coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJanuary 17, 2019
Slow-paced work, learned communication skills with customers. Hardest part of the job was getting all stock required to be out on a short four hour shift during the evening shift.
Good starter job
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 16, 2019
Management is mostly not helpful. No personal time if you opt to go full time. Co workers are pretty welcoming. Customers are okay for the most part. Great first job
wasnt the best
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJanuary 16, 2019
everybody is everywhere , some managers care while others don't . Never anyone around to help when needed . They don't train you till your ready , the system the use is old .
Pros
lunch room is clean
Cons
breaks are short, maagemnet sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boscov's Department Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight