Boston Harbor Cruises Employee Reviews

Fun but lots of hours
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAOctober 23, 2018
16,17,18hr days are crazy especially with no overtime and barely any tips and there is always work to be done no downtime it’s a good fun company just tough when it’s not what you are used to
Pros
On a boat all day
Cons
Shifts are way too long and you don’t get paid overtime
Fun place to work
Dock Concierge (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2018
If you love to be out in the sun and are a people-person, then this is the job for you! While there are times when you have to be hasty and hurry to get to the right gate at the right time, there is also plenty of down time to recover from it.
Pros
Free water and snacks
Cons
Have to be out in the sun all day
Great work environment. Knowledgeable and helpful co-workers
Bartender/Galley (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 23, 2018
Boston Harbor Cruises is a great summer job. You have an opportunity to meet people from all over the world. Extremely healthy environment. You work location is Boston Harbor and the Harbor Islands,.
Pros
Great Staff, Lots of sun and salt air plus free lunch
Cons
You won't get rich working here, but it's a great experience
Friendly safe work place
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2018
BHC is a great enviroment to learn and work in. Family owned and operated they take care of workers and try to promote from within. As long as you are willing to learn they are willinng to show you the ropes.
Long Days Good People
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 17, 2018
Days tend to be very long. Sometimes working over 12 hours in a day. However, there are great people there that help make the long hours go by faster.
Cool place to work
Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 15, 2018
Located on Long Wharf in Boston, the location can't get any better. During breaks you get to explore Boston every day. Perfect job for a teen looking to make some extra cash during the summers.
good but seasonal
Dock Attendant, Concession Stand Attendant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
overall it was a good place to work , I learned a lot , handled customers, did inventory, it was really fun . Manager was a good guy, treated us with respect. It was seasonal though so it had to end when September came around.
Pros
good staff, food
Cons
occastional bad weather(travel by boat) didn't call off until already clocked in
Great step to a career on the water
Captain (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 13, 2017
Best job in the world during the summer. Great tips during season. Interacting with customers is a plus, meeting people from all over the world. Taking a water taxi across to the city or the airport is the best way to avoid traffic, and get a great view of the city! It never gets old!
Pros
Fun job in the summer, very busy harbor, good tips, interaction with people
Cons
Boats are freezing during the winter, not winterized whatsoever. No heat. Passengers complaining.
Great place to learn basic seaman skills
Crew/ Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2017
I worked on a passenger ferry to Provincetown, Ma. Very fast paced with many passengers. Safety always a priority. I learned many navigational skills from the Captain of the Salacia high speed ferry.
Pros
Great summer joob
Cons
No overtime
Productive Family-style Employer
Fabrication/Aesthetics Department (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 5, 2017
Excellent place to work. The work is hard, but you know that going in. Management cares and looks after people. Benefits are excellent. The only downside is during the summer things get extra busy but not bad, just a lot of hours.
Love
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJuly 10, 2017
I do love this job! great management and staff, I have gained a lot of confidence on the phone dealing with customer service. The hardest part of the job is trying to deal with customer problems on your own just because it can get difficult and you have to satisfy the customer.
Pros
great sceduale
Cons
seaasonal
Great way to be transported to your destination by boat
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2017
Great job to meet people from all over the world. All crew members work closely together, and help each other when needed. Fun way to travel to and from on a boat, and at the same time enjoy the nice weather.
The Whale Watch
Crew (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2016
A typical day at work would be getting there early for the ferry from Quincy to Hull, and then into Boston Harbor. We'd clean up from the ferry personnel and then prepare for the two whale watches during the day. What I learned was mostly about the oceanic environment. Management was strong and demanding but always required. A majority of the co-workers were friends from school so we got along great and was a great work environment. The hardest part of the job was first overcoming sea sickness when we had 8 foot seas. After that, it was assisting the engineer with the diesels. I had never worked on that type of machinery at first which ended up being a great learning experience. The most enjoyable part was seeing the level of happiness in the kids and families eyes when we were watching the whales. Just knowing I was part of the crew that brought them to see something incredible was very satisfying.
Pros
Work Environment, Whale Watching, and Bartending/Generous Tips.
Cons
Adjusting to the seas & Cleaning up after other people who were sea sick.
Great family owned company
Captain (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2016
The owners of BHC are very hands on. The CEO is a phone call away and will give you as much time as you need. They are the largest operator on Boston Harbor and they do an incredibly good job of providing excellent service, great customer experience and safe and comfortable travel on their large fleet of passenger vessels and cruise boats.

The company is very well organized and a typical day is clearly detailed for a Captain with the company. You know what is expected of you and you know you have support when you need it.

The only negative that I can point out is that, because it is family owned, advancement can be more political than merit based. It is very easy to get lost in the company and have you skills under valued.

I would still highly recommend employment with BHC. They have a generous package for long term employees, they have very strong management at all levels and the vessels are maintained to a level I have yet to encounter. All vessels are ready for service or they are taken out of service until they are ready. Captains are not asked to operate less than 100% vessels, which is personally a very big issue for me.

The most enjoyable part of working for BHC is the passengers. You have direct contact with and can offer a great experience to local commuters or visiting guests of Boston. That is the primary reason I enjoy working here.
Pros
Solid Benefits package
Cons
Too many managers and a very political advancement process that alienates outsiders for advancement.
Dock Concierge (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 1, 2015
So fun to work downtown, other staff on the docks and boats were awesome people and kept life very fun. Overall, amazing summer job for anyone. The age range at work varied but it worked out great. I would come back every summer if I could, and wish I knew about it earlier.
Good company with many years of industry experience on every boat.
Deckhand - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 4, 2015
This was a great company to work for. It was a physically and mentally demanding company because they do a lot more than take people out for whale watches in the summer. The summer ends and the boats keep running, and they don't stop unless the state shuts down. The boat I was on did 2 commuter runs in the morning and then 2 whale watches, and we finished the day with a 200+ passenger commuter ride before we went back to base.We were a team there and every person shares information and helped each other learn. When winter came they bought every crew member winter gear because it's a lot different on the ocean in the winter but it showed me they care about there people.
Pros
Meet people from all around the world, work on whale watches
Cons
Winters are brutal on the water in Boston
Tour Guide
Event Coordinator & Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2014
-Great Place to work
-On a boat all day
-Seasonal employment only
Pros
work environment
Cons
seasonal
Very Productive and fun Work Place
Dock Concierge (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2014
I arrive and begin my daily duties promptly at 8:30 am. I provide information about the Harbor Islands, Georgia's and Spectacle Island. While working on Georgia's or Spectacle I learned interesting Facts about both Island. Georgia's has a military Fort that was used during the Civil War, and Spectacle use to be Land Fill, that under went some construction so that it is possible to swim on Spectacle and enjoy 5 miles of hiking. There is plenty room for advancement within the Company, you just have to prove yourself. The hardest part of the job is to deal with cancellations due to bad weather, and the most enjoyable part would be the boat rides to the Islands.
Pros
Free Lunches, Flexible Schedules
Cons
no healthcare
Ferry Rides!
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 13, 2014
I worked on the Salem Ferry from Salem to Boston. An amazing experience working on the water. There were specific tasks as a deckhand I was in charge for such as working with the dock lines tying up the ferry, checking with the engines while underway. And really just working with the captains while out there. Everyone was really good to work with, certainly learned a lot just by asking the captains! Ran into some good sunsets, had a storm or to, got a feel for some good waves. But mainly just transporting people back an forth, aka water taxi. For the pay the company was offering was a little tight so I kind of had to give it up. Overall it was really nice, I'll always have great people to go back and visit and certainly catch a ride or to!
Good Company, Great work
Event Coordinator & Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2014
-Narrating tours of Boston Harbor
- Writing and editing scripts for each five of the tour routes
-Training new employees
- Informing passengers about current events and sights of interest in the greater Boston area

Dream Job!
Pros
On a boat every day
Cons
....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Harbor Cruises. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3