Boston Housing Authority Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
This was an internship
At The Office Of Civil Rights (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2018
This was a very friendly environment to work in. Everyone was very committed to their work and efficient, but it was a stressed out atmosphere. Housing is an important issue and I was proud to be part of it.
idk
Resident Health Advocate (RHA) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2018
THe job was very extensive and city wide. It dealt with poverty at diferent levels. It dealt with eating, exercising, and enjoing healthy living. It dealt with partnering residents with their neighbors. I connected residents with the people that was out of reach. Boston Housing Authoirty staff and personell.
Relaxed location with potential to grow
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2018
Working here was a blessing. It was laid back. Work was simple enough. Management was willing to work with you if something was wrong, whether it involves asking for help or if you have a family emergency.
Office politics rule.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 10, 2018
The BHA is a place where it is not your competency and hard work that matters. It is who you know not what you know.

The Administrator grew up in the projects and the most of the bureaucracy is living in the past and threatened by more efficient programs. The Administrator appointed his daughter in law as a manager for example.

There are some people sitting around staring into space all day at tax payers expense while other less connected people are being worked hard.

The management at the BHA is extremely bad as many employees can relate.
Pros
Good central location.
Cons
Discrimination against educated people.
great learning experience and room to grow in this field
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAFebruary 6, 2018
I head in for an early start to prep for my shift. Which i learned over the years, has made it more efficient for me to keep a steady pace in my work environment. That way in case the main office calls me for any emergencies or to assist others with their area, i would be able to respond quickly. The more enjoyable part of this job is assisting trades with vacant apartments and finish prepping for apartment showing.
There were days that weren't as easy going as usual and the weather at times did not make it any better. the hardest part of this job was repeating the maintenance of the site as many times as needed. Just like with this job, all jobs have easy and more difficult duties that must be done. my overall experience with this job has taught me to adapt to any job, independently, alone and most of all to work hard to get where you want to go.
Pros
lunch and breaks are seperate
Cons
switching site once you have adjusted
Really fun even though it was a summer job
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 29, 2018
Even though this position was only a summer job it was really fun to work with others in a group. Everything was group-based and collaborative. Definitely a good/fun time.
Bha
Senior Office Management Aide (Former Employee) –  South Boston, MADecember 26, 2017
Was a employee for two sides, Charlestown and South Boston. Responsible for annual recertification for 330 apartments. And verify third party verifications. Process any intern rent changes.
not a pleasant work atmosphere
Senior Management Aid (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2017
• Performed rent collection process including : receiving payments from tenants, recording payments on ledger cards, maintaining the ledger card system, preparing collections for daily deposits, holding private conferences related to rent collection and attending grievance hearings
• Performed unit inspection related activities by notifying tenants of scheduled inspections, conducting inspections according to predetermined standards, and completing inspection summary reports
• Conducted resident interviews to obtain pertinent information including family income and status for annual resident re-certification
• Resolved and/or assisted Housing Manager in resolving tenant problems
Slow Upward Advancement
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 27, 2017
Advancement was possible but very slow. I had a great manager who taught me the ropes of the organization. Learned much about housing, HUD, and other aspects of the housing industry.
Productive and Family Orientated
Grievance Panel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 20, 2017
Boston Housing Authority is a very respectable well organized Company to work for, they provide excellent information for residents who are interested in their services as well as receiving the proper information to help get started in any services that Boston Housing Authority provides.
a little bit chaotic due to the fsct it was a community center
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAJune 5, 2017
cleaned up the environment also worked as an office assistant at the main office also located in Charlestown, helped grade GED exams, and answered phone calls
Intern
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2017
Have been an intern for over a year. Fun place to work in. The people there are very friendly and eager to help you learn how the system works. Given that it is a government agency, it is can get a little dull. However, you get to meet great people there.
Aging Workforce
Senior Management Aide (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, MAJanuary 31, 2017
BHA is a great place to work. The pay and benefits are decent. The culture is that of a non-profit. It's not overly stressful. Most positions are administrative in-nature. It's a good place to learn more about Housing and Government. Some of the systems are dated. The staff are aging and it's apparent in all aspects or the organization.
Pros
Union
Cons
Aging Staff
productive day and good enviroment
Tenant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2017
My typical day at work is happy and joyful
I learned differnent stuff each day with construstion crew
The management love me at eversite i work at
My coworker are lovely peoples
The hardest party is reclocation a family that doesnt follow the rules.
the most enjoyable part of my job is my coworker love me and i have good review with my job atg ever site.
Small work units with opportunistic management team
Emergency Response Service Operator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 4, 2016
Daily tasks are consistent but if you know how to take initiative you are more than capable of learning many things in all aspects of this field. Working with skilled tradesman allows you to gather knowledge of hardworking personnel.
Great team of leaders
Housing Property Manager II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 28, 2016
I truly enjoyed my 6 years of working for BHA, I had an awesome regional manager: Zanaida, and great Director Sandra. It was not easy but I developed me and prepared me for the rest of my future. I have nothing but great things to say, I loved working there, staff coworkers, and the residents.
Secretary office work
Intern/Office Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 24, 2016
A typical day prepare come in look over the schedule of what needs to be done. Prioritize what needs to be done first. Answer phone calls from clients. set up meetings, interviews, fax, translate documents. Help staff with recruiting volunteers.
Pros
free lunches
Fast Paced
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAMarch 1, 2016
typical day of work was we start cleaning the teen center,then started cleaning the development.I learned how to water plants,etc ,my co workers was good people.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
Some days was slow paced
SENIOR OFFICE MANAGEMENT AIDE (Current Employee) –  BostonAugust 14, 2015
Over all great place to work. A typical day consist of email follow up and resident follow up. My job is to make sure all paper work for a resident is in order and filed correctly. We also make sure all payments are due at a proper time if not send notices accordingly to the resident.
Pros
1 hr lunches
Cons
pay could be better at times.
Business structure is exceptional
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 20, 2015
Very slow paced work enviroment, as co-workers maintained a pleasnt work atmospere. My was to log on to Co. Computer and phone system. Answer calls and connect to the proper department.