Boston Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great workplace with lots of automy.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2018
Upon arrival to the floor I would take report on all at risk patients on the floors and extremely sick ICU pts, I would round on all the floors and check in with the nurses to see if they needed help with any of their patients.

I was able to learn a lot from my time at Boston Medical Center. The patients were so sick, some of the sickest in the world. The hospital is a very busy Level1 Trauma Center.

Management was great, although not always very hands on, her door was always open.

The workplace culture was sometimes difficult. Because of my role I noticed a lot of horizontal violence, which I feel should never be tolerated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to teach as much as I did. Also, I loved being a part of the Trauma & Code Teams.
Pros
Hospital environment
Cons
No lunches or breaks.
Lots of Advancement Oppurtunities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2018
Although I wasn’t too fond of some people within my department, I’m not there for them. Boston Medical Center has a lot of career advancement opportunities and ability to network and make connections. I loved my manager and how well he treated his staff. I would definitely go back to BMC sometime later in the future. They value their nurses a lot and offer good tuition reimbursement perks for their employees if you choose to go back to school.
Pros
Work hours, overtime flexibility, benefits, and much more !
Cons
Negative Nancy’s in my department, the location of the facility
Do not recommend
Epic (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 31, 2018
The organizational environment at BMC is terrible - no fault of the newer President and CEO. The nurses working the floors are not at all happy, and, if you are not a nurse - it's even worse. The NCIO had no problem asking technical staff to work mandatory unpaid overtime - however, this would never cut muster for the nursing staff - as they belong to a union - and get paid when they work. Too many of the upper nursing staff have been there far too long and have a sense of entitlement to their positions - these are like the nursing equivalent of stereotypical government jobs. And, these career nurses, who don't have the skills to move positions, would stab you in the back if they felt at all threatened. I would never, ever encourage anyone to work at BMC - it's just not a good organizational environment overall.

The newer CEO needs to "disinfect the hospital" of staff that is not supportive or are of the old regime - those people need to go, fast.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Terrible working environment
Great working environment , great benefits
Licensed Practical Nurse in Women's Health Group (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 8, 2018
Great place to work with great benefits especially Health Insurance options. Numerous opportunities to advance in your career and exciting new developments in healthcare.
Epic Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 25, 2018
Good culture. The systems their need to be revamped because they used to use old outdated technology SDK but they are dedicated to serving the community which they work out of.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not collaborative
It was wonderful being able to work with others doing the same job, so you always had someone to go to if you had questions or any doubts.
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2019
I enjoyed my job, I wish there was more room for advancement in the area in which I worked. I liked the fact that it was a small group of us with a really huge role. I love the fact that I had my regular resposiblities and if needed I was also trained to do other things and cover other clinics.
Terrible work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 17, 2018
The culture is political. You can’t get anything done. And don’t send out emails where your tone is direct, you will be fired. Especially when you have a boss with no backbone and she is highly sensitive. It is an environment not for the weak.
Complication
EHR Facilitator (Contact) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2018
Place of work can be productive and moving. However, it can be a bit unorganized and the workplace culture has a long way to go. I feel that some changes are happening and are in the process, however, they can be a bit more responsible in the process taken and considerate. The people here are great and the working environment can be more comforting. The developmental process is an accomplishment because of the change that happens to compare the beginning of the process to the end.
Quantity Over Quality
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 13, 2018
I worked for BMCHP/Well Sense for over 3 years. When I first started in the Care Management program it was completely member focused. My main responsibility was to help some of our most vulnerable populations maintain their health and get back on their feet.

That culture no longer exists at BMCHP/Well Sense. The company has become just like every other corporate, numbers driven company that really is only concerned about the bottom line.

To make things worse, the company’s HR department and management do not do what they need to do in order to help their employees succeed. Without proper support from management, it makes giving your all to help the Medicaid population impossible.

If you have a strong desire to truly help people and make an impact on this world, I do not recommend working for BMCHP/Well Sense. They have, unfortunately, gone to the dark side.
Benefits
Cons
Very poor management; company does not value loyalty
Good Place to work if you are serious about your job
PATIENT AMBULATORY OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 8, 2019
Boston Medical Center is one of the top hospitals in New England.
Lots of opportunities for growth if you work hard and network.
The campus is going through a lot of changes.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
You may get overworked
Good pay and benifits, lots of room for advancement
Registration Representative ( Patient Access ) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2018
Pay was great, staff was great, lots of room for advancement was provided, benefits were more than adequate - transportation assistance was even provided - staff was friendly
Cons
It is fast paced and a great place to learn if you are in a good unit
LPN (Former Employee) –  In patientNovember 14, 2018
The company itself is good, but my unit manager is not a good leader. He fires people without any tangible reason especially if you are not on the good side of his ‘clique’.
Benefits
Cons
Depends on your unit
Workplace culture
Lead Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 25, 2018
Opportunity to grow professionally and to learn
Great place to learn other culture from employees and patient
The hardest part of my job was from poor management
Terrible
Health information management (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MADecember 7, 2018
Worked there for 2 months and they fired half of the team with no warning or valid explanation. Very unprofessional and morally wrong if you ask me. Myself along with the others are now jobless and we know it’s not easy to find a job now a days. Thanks BMC!!!!!!
Learned a lot of things
Investigational Services Technician III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2019
BMC is very Busy Institute having more than 150 beds. .Learned a lot of things from BMC .Management is very skilled and gained a lot of experience in every field.
Expected to work long hours
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 4, 2018
Very unclear expectations were set at the interview and within the first month. Long days are expected (50-60hrs / week for management team). Staff is amazing, but previous/current management does not function well as a team.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
no work/life balance
Incredible Place to Work
Vice President Supply Chain Operations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2018
Boston Medical Center was an awesome place to work. I recommend it highly to anyone seeking to advance their professional career and feel a true part of the community they serve.
Pros
Competitive salary and benefits
Cons
Construction challenges
big hospital, big reputation
traveler CRCST (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2019
love being busy, having a manager who is very young with little experience tends to put strain on a department. there were a lot of employees and we all got along......except the manager
Pros
big and busy
Cons
childish management
bmc
Traveling Sterile Process Tech (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA 02118December 27, 2018
working at boston medical has been a good experience. the staff are great and the management team is awesome as well. i would love to continue working here.
Would not recommend
Professional (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2019
The upper management does not seem in approachable. There are many impractical processes that are meant to meet regulations but not necessarily improve the work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight