Boston Public Health Commission Employee Reviews

dont
public health advocate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 6, 2019
don’t do it management sucks . unreliable, rude , not fair just wants everyone to work like robots waste of time ! it sounds great but isn’t most people not even qualified to do the job the give

but new of someone to help them out
Pros
vacation time
Cons
management
Good Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 17, 2019
The Boston Public Health Commission seeks to serve the neediest and most vulnerable of Boston's population. If you seeking to work at either a micro or macro level job to meet such a challenge, the commission is for you.
n/a
Policy and Strategy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 10, 2019
I learned that my organizational skills were better than I thought. there were many project thrown at me in the beginning and all were successfully completed.
Great place to work and grow as a Social Worker
Triage Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2019
A great place to really gain clinical knowledge as a Social Worker working with the homeless. You will definitely grow in the clinical sense of working with various mental illness and learn about crisis response.
Okay for entry level
Senior Program Manager, Education & Training (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2019
Overall, BPHC was a difficult organization. There was low compensation, lots of red tape, challenges to advance career, and difficulty with work life balance. It did provide a good learning experience for next jobs.
It was an satisfactory work environment given the nature of the population we work around and with
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  112 Southhampton street Boston, MA 02118May 10, 2019
The work environment was satisfactory given the nature of the population we work around. I believe a work environment is what you make it. It was okay working for them. I'd work for them again if I had to.
I’ll treatment
Case Management Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 22, 2019
The staff is somewhat rude with the homeless and encouraged me to be the same. It’s a shelter with addicts I get it but still no reason to treat Human beings so lowly.
it was ok
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  system adminMarch 4, 2019
You have to do work for the unionized people as they will only go by their job description. They have special rights and you don't since they are not unionized. You cover their lunches since they are in union,so they get to go for lunch and you eat on your desk.
It was a medicore enviornment.
Pre-Masters Clinician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 28, 2019
I enjoyed the groups very much. I was able to create the groups ex. movie night, dinner evening, game night etc. We had a restricted budget, not enough funding to run the program efficiently.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
No full-time work
Busy Day
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2019
A typical day consist of working with individuals dealing with ongoing challenges stemming from displacement, mental health and addiction. I was able to reinforce my skills working one on one with clients, as well as interacting with staff for supervision. The hardest part of the job is the lack of management and support! The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients and being able to support them.
Pros
Distance and Hours.
Get in and get out
Help Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2018
They will promote a culture of staying long term but the people who have been there for longer than 5 years will do nothing but shift work and blame mistakes on to new more qualified people. You should use this place as a way to upgrade your resume and get out. Don't expect any internal help because it will be few and far between.
Re Employment review
Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 19, 2018
I loved working there, I learned so much, gained many many skills, was able to receive certification in Food Service, Working with People of all races, beliefs nationalities, ,I would prepare and store sandwiches for lunch, prepare any produce, meat for dinner, Preparing kitchen for service of food , maintaining SafeServ guidelines, check temperatures, store, stock kitchen for all Condiments,Silverware Etc., Clean Appliances and Utensils, removal of trash,
Fast paced
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2018
Helping those In need is the best thing in life, life changing for yourself and others, never a dull moment , fast paced environment , for employees and guest
They don't call you often.
Administrative Assistant/Data Entry Clerk-Temp (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2018
I found that you get calls, regarding a job from Robert Half but no follow-up on any assignments. I really don't hv much too add eccept that I'm seeking employment, unless you have work for me I have nothing else to add too the problem.
Pros
A job is needed too be Happy.
Cons
Not working is means, not being Happy.
Small professional Police Department supporting Bostons Health Hospital operations.
o Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2018
Small, local 24 hour police patrol operations including dispatch and fixed post locations. Strong department leadership core with credible patrol supervisors and updated vehicles and equipment. Routinely deal with Bostons homeless and addicted population. Assisting individuals by directing them into appropriate support services and credible law enforcement.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, career advancement
Cons
Benefit package
Good people, slow processes
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2018
Employees at this organization do care about advancing public health and equity, and the organization does a wonderful job at maintaining a diverse workforce.

However, because it is such a large organization and the various programs are spread out across the city, there does seem to be a lot of variation in management styles, type of work (especially project-based work compared to daily program upkeep), opportunity for promotion and whether or not the program leadership seem invested in the employee's future. There does seem to be some tension across the organization around balancing innovation with processes and red tape, which can create the perception of slowness.
Pros
Work-life balance, fair salary, diversity, employees that care
Cons
Older facilities, red tape, variation in management styles across different programs
I enjoyed working with the Boston University School of Public Health.
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2018
The job that we did, was getting information about health drives in the communities and we would tell the communities at community meeting, so people that lived in the community that did not have health care or did have it, they could get checked out for things like mammograms, dental care, high blood pressure, treatment programs for addiction and so on, etc...
Pros
I love to see the community come together to listen to the good news about health care.
Cons
I wish more would have attended
have to have a scheduled day were you are comfortable working on your own
Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 13, 2018
Great environment nice co workers there is always trainings it is a workplace that is family friendly and seems to care about employees they are for employees growth
Pros
free trainings
Cons
slow paced
Great place to start your career.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 2, 2018
BPHC is great place to start your career. BPHC has great people that are willing to help you learn. Good work environment and a great place to grown in.
produtive work envirorment at times
Neighborhood Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 20, 2018
The work enviromrnt was fast pase and competivie. Management wasnt too supporitive when it came to certain things. I was there for 11 years and should have been supported due to my longgevity with the comission. Managers need to retrained on proper managerial skills.
Pros
seeing families meet their goals.
Cons
poor management