Boston Public Health Commission Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
worked for so many years and not fair
Counselor (Homeless Services) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 22, 2018
I worked for so many years and it was not fair. Long hours, people were not friendly. It wasn't all that cracked up to how it sounds. The work culture was hard. The most enjoyable part was working with the clients and helping them get where they need to be in life.
Shelter Environment
Operations Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 1, 2018
It was a homeless shelter for women. I liked my job as a supervisor. The employees I managed were stubborn and immature. Everyone was always gossiping and sometimes people got in trouble for it. There was no job security. Even with a union, staff were reprimanded and/or terminated by upper management people who chose to nitpick. No one wants to listen to new ideas to make the place better for staff and clients. Changes were made without including supervisors in the decision-making process. You get no respect for having an education, or wanting to further your education. At the time when I started, I only had a bachelor's in Public health. I quickly learned that I was way overqualified for the position and that the stress is not worth it. I felt like I was in the military, constantly battling to stay alive. Take my advice, run. No seriously, run
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, workplace culture, short breaks, stressful environment
I loved what I did, but management was very poor.
Case Manager Coordinator WMS (Former Employee) –  WMS .Mass Ave BostonMarch 22, 2018
I would go back now...my manager is gone
i am hopeful the culture and management is changing, i liked the team i worked with and I loved the work I was doing.
Great place to work to contribute to health equity in Boston
Associate Director, Education & Training (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 18, 2018
BPHC is a large organization and every program has its own feel to it. Overall, colleagues at BPHC are committed to advancing health equity in the city.
job preformance
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 10, 2018
there was not a whole lot to the job pretty basic instruction in cleaning the building.i felt i was treated ok things could have been better.I believe i had a good understanding with the residents that live there.They would allways tell me how much they liked the work i put in
Pros
free dinner
Cons
the commute to and from work
free dinner and i get chance to talk with the men there
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2018
I was looking to change my job title i did not want to cook any more so i saw a ad in the paper for a house keeping job at the 112 southampton st shelter and applyed i fine that this line of work to very rewarding it gives me a chance help the men that live there that they can change there lives if they choose to that cam from the same situation they are in now if i can do it so can they
Pros
free dinner
Cons
not enough hours
Relationships
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2018
The idea of coming to working knowing that the work I do will enable someone in need with motivation and inspiration to seek success. Knowing that a phone call will be made to the program thanking us for what we have done for them. Having this understanding makes the job that much better.
Fiscal Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2018
I still working at the Boston Public Healt Commission. Is a good place to work but the salary is just ok.I'm looking for an extra income and the best fit for me is to work from home.
Pros
good benefits and flexibility
Cons
No proffesional grow
good chance for gaining experience
Public Health Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 2, 2018
overall a decent place to work however the pay is low and there is little room for pay increase. plus side is pay is weekly however if they were able to provide pay raises or pay upgrades they may keep employees longer
Productive place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 2, 2018
I've learned how to improve my customer service, how to facilitate groups and it's a fun place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I had to help people that were drug addict helping them finding jobs and a stable place to live
Interesting job culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 13, 2017
The Commission has a diverse background at the middle management level but does not reflect that at the higher management level. The Commission needs to focus on profession development for staff more.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No real support options for staff
Excellent employees and growth opportunites
Janitorial Team Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2017
Very productive and employee assistance.
1 hour lunch
Employee communication and very organized with all growth and meeting information. The CEO was a part of all departments and was involved with the employees as well.
high growth with strong guidance.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
stressful at times
power plant
Chief Engineer/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2017
inspected all equipment for safety issues .check all contractors on the premises to give support if needed . 10 am Daley meeting with all steam firemen and engineers. do delay logs state,federal, and local . 2 pm meeting with department mangers .
great work envior,emt
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2017
fast paced work environment would recommend to anyone who loves working quickly. Experience and managers are great with all employees as well as fair in opportunity.
Very Stressfull
Case Management-Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2017
Management is not aware of what they are doing. Lack of precise training, everything is left for another day. Employee security is not well maintained as employee have to walk 800ft to park and are not allowed to punch in the same building.
Pros
benefits after the 6 monthsd
Cons
lack of security for employees
productive and fun workplace with friendly staff
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 24, 2017
working for the boston public health commision has been an interesting experience and has taught me many things about the position i currenty hold and would return to work if giving the opputunity
the hardest part of the day
Food Prep/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAAugust 21, 2017
working there everyday was fun. The tasks and the teammates were all fun to work with. There was a lot of work to be done for the day in order to get the day done sometime i spend 2 hrs trying to cut 8 loins or 4 or 5 cases of beef.
Pros
great team work was done by the end of the day
Cons
Boston Public Health paid minimum Wage Salary
great place to work for
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  1010 Mass AvenueAugust 11, 2017
A great productive place to work for in a challenging atmosphere which is very rewarding.On a typical day of work for me starts by gathering information from the clerk in the court room,follow by having one on one meeting with every defendant on that restraining order list for the day. give quick referrals for shelter in batterer intervention program if necessary
Pros
an hour lunch time
Cons
i don't see one
Free Luncheons and school supplies
Janitorial Team Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 28, 2017
Extremely educational and community oriented. Monthly parent and Commissioner meeting kept you well informed and involved with the different and pre-planned school changes. The environment was very friendly and each department worked as a team and kept each department updated and helped each other with all changes.
Pros
Free luncheons and updated school information.
Cons
Parent dispused
fun place
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 20, 2017
On Friday's they have exercise classes during lunch time and they allow employees to take an hour off for the class and then another hour for lunch. Working with the company was a good experience for me I got to see what it's like to be an adult.