Boston Public Library Employee Reviews

4.2Pay & Benefits
3.6Job Security & Advancement
Nice
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAApril 13, 2018
I had it as part of the Boston Youth Fund, which was very good for a starting position to get a credit on my resume. It was very relaxing, well paid, and all the staff were polite
Great organization to work and be a part of. Many opportunities to grow and learn among seasoned professionals.
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
I would recommend working for the Boston Public Library on any and all capacities (that fit someone's needs). I am thankful to have been chosen to work for this institution, surrounded with knowledgeable, capable individuals. I look forward to continue to work, learn, grow while I share my trusted proven skills and expertise. The organization has a rich, long-standing history not only in the community, but around the world. Which makes it renown and a great asset to the City of Boston.
Pros
Trusted with completing tasks without being micromanaged.
Cons
The culture is outdated and progress should be addressed.
Great place to thrive!
Librarian II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 31, 2017
Learned a lot about fast-paced librarianship. Basically the art of getting the job done while keeping interactions with the patron special. Best of all was the team atmosphere--supervisors, librarians and library assistants worked together like a well oiled machine.
Pros
working in exciting down town Boston
Cons
residency requirement
blah
Librarians Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2017
this job was a summer job of mine it doesn't really count, but it was a good experience. I mean you shelve books or help find the books, or you struggling to find something to do until your end of shift comes, good for a lazy person in my opinion.
Better management would be great for staff morale.
Performing Artist (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAOctober 6, 2016
I learned a lot about the various collections. I enjoyed working in Rare Books and Manuscripts; a supportive manager there made all the difference. Finding out what was in that particular collection intrigued the researcher part of me. The sense of humor of the staff was a real plus.
Pros
The collection depth and breadth.
Cons
Management.
excellent exsperience
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 23, 2016
Overall this is a great company. I enjoyed being a part of the team. I loved reading to the kids and helping them achieve their goals.
Pros
positive enviorment
Cons
pay
Culture issues
Staff (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2014
A lot of people here are happy working the same job for 40 years. Bringing in new ideas is not welcomed. Projects will be delayed,and delayed for no valid reason.
a challenging assisnment.
Assistant cataloger (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 21, 2014
One of the best public libraries in the western world. A devoted staff that always keeps abreast of current trends i8n the library field
Simple
Shelving (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2014
A Typical day at work was like: 1) sign in 2) Start organizing Books and CDs to their proper places.
Pros
Simple
Cons
Boring
Provided Administrative support for the Assistant Director
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2013
Provided Administrative support for the Assistant Director for the Boston Public Library, second largest public library in the country. Organized evening functions for book talks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boston Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.

Boston Public Library Reviews by Location