Boston University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Safe environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 7, 2018
The opportunity was what I needed at the time—it met my expectations. The program was already established, and the collaborative project was managed well with the Director of Content Management.
Pros
Manageable job, good manager who gave me good feedback, quality collaborators for the project
Cons
Low pay, not challenging enough
As independent contractor, hard to speak broadly
Independent Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2018
I worked as a contracted instructor for one of the clubs and as a result it's hard to speak to the broader work environment. My experience was positive overall.
A revolving door for HR
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 10, 2018
Mediocrity gets promoted. The CHRO was promoted to VP of HR, despite poor performance, constant mediocrity and employees leaving the company in flocks.
Great Culture
Annual Giving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 6, 2018
Boston University truly values its employees. The provisions made to help employees develop professionally, in addition to the opportunities offered on-site, provides employees with valuable experiences to grow in their profession and through their network.
Productive with unlimited opportunities
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 6, 2018
A typical day started with daily lab duties. Then we would fully engage into experiments or anything else scheduled. We would then eat lunch and enjoy the fellowship of your colleagues. The remain of the day was concentrated on finishing experiments and concluding all lab duties> The principal investigator and colleagues made it a fun place to work. The culture implied and the community made Boston University a very enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Great benefits, lunches, flexibility, competition
Good research university
Assistant Professor of Genetics and Genomics (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2018
Very collaborative environment, only left because of department closing. Strong support for faculty and staff. Compensation was competitive with other large research universities.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Cons
Management sometimes lacking
Center for English Language and Orientation Culture (CELOP)
Teacher/Trainer/Program Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2018
As a Senior Lecturer I had many roles at this institute. I worked with the BU business school and law schools teaching English and directing programs here and in Asia. I also trained teachers and international teaching fellows and use technology in the classroom.
I gained vast experience in directing training programs, curriculum development, teacher supervision, teaching specialized programs. The most enjoyable part of the work was learning from the international students.
Pros
independence
Cons
management
Good Research Experience
Research and Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2018
Good Research Experience in academia and working with surgeons directly. Benefits not as competitive however able to network well within the organization.
Top university in Boston
Teachers Assitant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 16, 2018
Boston University has an amazing infrastructure just like Harvard an MIT. It is well known in the area as one of the best in town. Offers a lot of benefits to its employees.
good place to work
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 25, 2018
Boston University is a good place to work. Physics department at Boston University is strong. Management, faculty, staff is very collaborative. Has been working here for 14 years. Was promoted twice. But it is time to move forward in the field of teacher professional development.
Top rated university
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 23, 2018
Exciting place to work in that student population is constantly changing. Many opportunities to teach a variety of subjects and skills to perspective undergrads as well as to post grad executives.
Pros
Tuition remission
Cons
new administration
Great Place to Coast
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 20, 2018
If you're not ambitious or you just need a spot to coast into retirement, this is the place for you. It has decent benefits, though the salary is about 20% under market, and many departments have a very toxic management culture, stemming from the President's Office. There is a lot of fear and fealty, and people will turn on you on a heartbeat if they feel you aren't willing to toe the line.
Pros
Great work/life balance, decent benefits
Cons
Toxic management culture, poor salary
Work Life Balance is Achievable
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2018
Higher education is notoriously slow to change and you will find that here. It seems like people who try to initiate change face roadblocks from "lifers" who have been at BU for years and do not want to change how they do their job. Your role can easily be what you make of it - either only do what is asked or try to advance change and see how far you can get.
The most enjoyable part of my job
Senior Industrial Hygiene Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job at BU was the people I had the opportunity to work with. Each niche in the safety office was willing to help with any questions that I had. That made my job as a Senior Specialist easier because I was able to develop relationships and trust with the different groups in the office.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 5, 2018
Boston is a great place to live, except for its high price tags! Boston university is a good university in the area with active involvement in research. Its highly competitive and working here is rewarding in terms of career prospects.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Traffic
Stressful due to poor managment
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 31, 2018
The first 15 years were great until our department was taken over by an extremely poor manager, she drove out the entire administration support, some moved onto other jobs at BU, others just left due to the stress she created. Had I had hindsight I would have stuck it out longer, she left the university a year after I did. I loved the people I worked with, and would have stayed another 5 years, but the stress was making me ill, and I had no choice, but to leave.
IT jobs at Boston University are stressful
Programmer Analyst Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2018
BU pays well and asks a lot from IT employees

As a University, there is the long tenure and mix of motivated and non-motivated employees found in government jobs merged with the high stress and high expectations of business jobs.
Tough but good place to work
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 25, 2018
The hospital environment at BUMC was / is a rough one. However, the people I worked with were great and we always looked out for each other what ever the situation was.
Great place for education
Adjunct Professor- Jazz (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2018
The teachers here are excellent and dedicated to what they do. BU is constantly evolving with the times and staying on top of the most recent research and methods. I attended graduate school here and had an incredible amount of opportunity to develop myself as an educator and musician. I came back to work here to continue that experience for future students.
Productive and competitive academic environment
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2018
Excellent interactions between clinicians and basic science researchers.
Approachable senior administrators.
Value based medical school education.
Competitive academic environment.