Boston University Employee Reviews

The University is growing and has a strong vision for the future; however, they need to invest more in staff resources to accomplish their goals
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2019
The University is a big place, has a strong reputation for academic excellence, and some departments have more resources than others. They have a strong vision for the future, and quality programs that you can champion. However, in Development and Alumni Relations, they need to invest more in staff and alumni resources to accomplish their goals.
Pros
Great benefits & work-life balance
Cons
slow to implement change
Lower pay and job satisfaction than other places
Communications Manager, (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2019
While some pockets within the University are very rewarding to work in, I found the culture of management constrained and eventually discouraging. I did enjoy creating new marketing outreach channels, through extensive networking. This was not encouraged or even understood by my management.
Boston University is a productive and collegial place to work.
Faculty Director of the Global Literacy Institute (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 5, 2019
I give great credit to Boston University for providing an excellent setting in which to work and to grow professionally. I also feel that it provided faculty members with the ability to have a well-balanced amount of work and family time.
Highly challenging job
Clients Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tyngsboro, MAFebruary 8, 2019
Boston University Corporate Education Center is a great place to work for, unfortunately after 9/11, they lost a lot of business therefore they RIFed a lot of people.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
layoff
FIit Rec Jobs are a Good Working Opportunity for Students
Tennis Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2019
Working in BU is great for any students attending the university. The bosses all know and understand that you are a student and try to accommodate your work hours to that if they are able to. You live where you work so going to your workplace is pretty easy.
Pros
Entrance to the Fitness and Recreation Center
Cons
i don't know
Fun place
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2019
Loved being a TF for BI107 labs! My first ever experience was made easy due to the people there who helped me along the way! It taught me lot many skills!
Bu
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  BostonFebruary 5, 2019
BU is a fine school with a fantastic MFA program. I felt challenged as a student and as a first-time teacher, though I would note that I received very little support from the administration.
A typical day at work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2019
• Led TA sessions for a Differential Equation class and graded assignments and R coding projects.
• Helped students with their assignments, projects, and exam review.
Very Good
Professor (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, MAJanuary 17, 2019
f you logged onto Facebook and saw that the Tori Kelly page recommended the UTLA parking across the street, it would've saved you quite a bit of headache. Only $5 parking and there was plenty of spots, even for those that arrived late.

The church itself is massive, beautiful in design and has 3 levels I believe but I could be wrong. Maybe 2. My only gripe is that if you had to use the ladies room, good luck. Only two stalls on each floor. That being said, it's a very small price to pay for a magnificent concert experience in this historic church.

Concert goers: Acoustics...my goodness, the acoustics sent chills down my spine. Paired with the angelic voices of Tori and her background vocalists, it made for such a spiritual experience that I was in tears, especially for one song in particular. If you are a petite 5 footer in flat shoes, you will not see a thing if people are standing, which people did the entire time. It is typically General Admission for shows so get there early if you want prime seats. The only time you'll be able to see anything is if people take their seats, which they did not. Again, plan accordingly, shorties.

No A/C so layer up as it gets warm in there with all the bodies. Obviously, if you come here for church, your experience will be different but I'm speaking from a concert standpoint. Definitely a beautiful experience this past Saturday!
good
Research Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2019
good place to work

i was TA

Professor was very good and helped learn a lot

Pay was not great but something is better than nothing

Also the experience was great
It was okay
Residential Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2019
It depends on the department you work for at BU. You might have a great experience and you might not. I personally had an up and down experience due to my work schedule.
Pros
no over bearing management
Cons
the hours were not consistent
N/a
Special State Police Officer / Bike Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 4, 2019
Boston University is a great place to gain hands on experience and receive superior training to set a solid foundation to obtain a career in Law Enforcement.
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2018
I worked as a researcher at BU and enjoyed working in an environment with other highly educated and motivated professionals. I will miss working there
The work Culture is excellent
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Programming CS 521) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 25, 2018
I highly recommend Boston University. As this is a world class company. I was working as a graduate teaching assistant and pursuing my master's side by side
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 15, 2018
Your work experience at BU boils down to management. For instance, a role in financial affairs is not ideal because management is poor. The pay is decent. The work life balance is pretty good. However, management in financial affairs have a propensity to create unrealistic deadlines, favor certain employees, and management exhibits unconscious bias. Avoid working in financial affairs at all cost. Leadership at BU in other departments is far better in quality then financial affairs.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Great benefits, excellent working environment
Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 5, 2018
People and culture that’s what Boston University is about.
When I had personal problems my supervisor jumped in with unbelievable effort to help me resolve it and offered me options I didn’t think existed.
Great Company!
Pros
Easy going atmosphere
Cons
Expensive parking
Boston University sounds like a great place, but it is not.
Part-time Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 5, 2018
Boston University sounds like a great place, but it is not. People are impressed when they hear that you work there, but everything is project based and you can lose your job in a second for no reason at all.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 4, 2018
BU is a great place to work with a lot of room for advancement. Convenient location and great benefits such as tuition remission and affordable health care.
Good, if you like a lot of the same
Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  Alumni RelationsNovember 29, 2018
I can only talk about Development and Alumni Relations. Leadership is white males of the same vintage. They are uninspired now that we are closing our first comprehensive campaign. With no direction to the staff about what comes after this campaign, motivation is low. The Senior Vice President has made it clear that he's retiring after the campaign which has started a turf war between the next two in line.

This organization is very hierarchical. We are reminded every day where we stand in the pecking order. There is no clear path for advancement. If you aren't a white male, then your chances for advancement are low. The highest level a woman can expect to rise it is Executive Director. If you're looking for a diverse workplace open to unique ideas and new ways of approaching things, this isn't the best place for you.
Brain Development imaging
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2018
I learned to be independent and to manage my time promptly.
I had to tutor a student at the master level in their bioimaging program to succeed and to be a valuable asset for the new workforce.