Boston University Employee Reviews

Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 15, 2018
Your work experience at BU boils down to management. For instance, a role in financial affairs is not ideal because management is poor. The pay is decent. The work life balance is pretty good. However, management in financial affairs have a propensity to create unrealistic deadlines, favor certain employees, and management exhibits unconscious bias. Avoid working in financial affairs at all cost. Leadership at BU in other departments is far better in quality then financial affairs.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Boston University sounds like a great place, but it is not.
Part-time Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 5, 2018
Boston University sounds like a great place, but it is not. People are impressed when they hear that you work there, but everything is project based and you can lose your job in a second for no reason at all.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 4, 2018
BU is a great place to work with a lot of room for advancement. Convenient location and great benefits such as tuition remission and affordable health care.
Good, if you like a lot of the same
Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  Alumni RelationsNovember 29, 2018
I can only talk about Development and Alumni Relations. Leadership is white males of the same vintage. They are uninspired now that we are closing our first comprehensive campaign. With no direction to the staff about what comes after this campaign, motivation is low. The Senior Vice President has made it clear that he's retiring after the campaign which has started a turf war between the next two in line.

This organization is very hierarchical. We are reminded every day where we stand in the pecking order. There is no clear path for advancement. If you aren't a white male, then your chances for advancement are low. The highest level a woman can expect to rise it is Executive Director. If you're looking for a diverse workplace open to unique ideas and new ways of approaching things, this isn't the best place for you.
Brain Development imaging
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2018
I learned to be independent and to manage my time promptly.
I had to tutor a student at the master level in their bioimaging program to succeed and to be a valuable asset for the new workforce.
Educational and Productive
CHEMISTRY TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2018
Perpetual learning environment. Boston University Medical Center has multiple programs for undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students. This attracted students from all over the world as well as pharmaceutical and medical devices companies.
Pros
Perpetual learning work environment
Cons
Heavy work load
Lab Assistant
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2018
I have worked here as an undergrad for over a year and I would highly recommend it to any students in the STEM field. There are a lot of labs looking to take on new students!
productive and collaborative workplace
Research Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2018
BU is conveniently located along Comm Ave by green line, which makes everyday commute easy. Beside student dining and other food chain restaurants, there is faculty dining room that provide high quality lunch with incredible view of Charles river at reasonably low price. The work atmosphere is energetic, productive and we seek opportunity to collaborate within and also inter-department. We have weekly seminars with speakers from different universities or research institutes nationwide. Students are of diverse background though. But most graduate students know what they do and why they are here.
Pros
healthcare
produced high quality work of which we could be very proud
Costume Director/Costume Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2018
Great place to work to interact wth dedicated theatre professionals interested i putting forth their best work to create a stellar product that rival Broadway shows.
Big University
Assistant Director, Annual Giving (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2018
Big University with numerous resources. Salaries are not completely competitive but the culture creates a good working environment. Like most employers, the top executives (Deans, VIce President level) can be a little out-of-touch with rank and file workers.
No comment
Insurance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 31, 2018
The work can be difficult but ask important questions to ease the work load. Everyone is dedicated to their position. I value my dedicated colleagues who reach out to management if the team feel overworked. The employees look out for each other and everyone is work toward the common goal "students come first".
Pros
Free lunches and holiday parties
Cons
Health insurance could have a lower premium
Productive and fun workplace
Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) (Current Employee) –  Raynham, MAOctober 31, 2018
My experience at BUEA was very lovely. The staff are so kind and nurturing to the patients as well as other employees, and the work itself was so rewarding and fulfilling.
Pros
Loving people, great pay
Collaborative and interesting work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 29, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with public health professionals and students starting their career in the field. A typical day includes course planning and grading of assignments.
If you work smart and hard every thing is fine.
Senior Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 25, 2018
The workplace culture was professional and the research team members were motivated and together making the research process efficiently well! As a project leader I felt I got respected.
I worked my way in and out of the kitchen so my position there was more of in a fast pace area
Dining Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAOctober 22, 2018
I loved to help with the cooking but mostly did the washing, organizing and cleaning. It was at a college facility so the students there were very respectful and matured.
Pros
I was provided a free lunch at times but mostly brought mine
Cons
I did had some breaks because I worked my way in and out of the facility
Good place to learn and grow
Senior Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA 02115October 19, 2018
I had a very busy schedule with many daily, monthly, and end-of-fiscal-year tasks and projects.
The job was fast paced with much contact with alumni, students, and faculty.
I learned to be proactive and process the various data entry updates and entries real-time.
The most difficult part of the job was maintaining a timely response due to ever-changing schedules and deadlines.
The workplace culture was helpful and you felt management was concerned with improvement of work place systems and procedures.
I liked working training and providing a work place environment suitable for work study under graduate and graduate students
Pros
Good PC and Printer and a good work schedule with breaks and adequate lunch time
Cons
The office space was a bit cramped, and the furniture and chairs were sub-par
Super fun for a student
Family Programming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2018
I had a great time when I worked at BU. A friend of mine referred me, and our boss was one of the sweetest people ever. The job itself wasn't very difficult, as I was only a work study student, but I really enjoyed my time working there and I would definitely do it again.
Good.
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time of Boston University very much. I was a rewarding experience working with professors who are passionate about their field and students who are curious, intelligent and willing to learn.
EE Graduate School was excellent
Graduate Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 5, 2018
The grad school had a very good program for supporting both research and teaching fellows while they were pursuing advanced degrees. The staff was very supportive of the graduate students.
Okay Place
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 4, 2018
Okay job, tough office culture. Many choices are personality driven, there is a tendency to steal credit for work and not to foster connections among all levels of employees. Cut-Throat email culture.