Boulder Community Health Employee Reviews

Decent Company
ADMIN (Current Employee) –  gunbarrelJune 28, 2018
Good Company, Going through transition, decent Management, employees will be independent, work load is high, Work from home option is limited, no growth.
Great people but no appreciation for them
Lab Administration Patient Access Lead (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 18, 2018
The turn over was ridiculous here and the pay was low. They play favorites and management didn't really ever show their face. For a nonprofit the higher ups made a ton of money. The employees are disgruntled but very hard working. A pat on the back is rare if ever.
Average
Hospital Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 29, 2018
I felt BCH overall was a great place to work. I functioned as a unit coordinator while employed at BCH. I often said I liked to think of myself as the mother on the floor. My typical day included answering the phones, coordinating tests and labs for patients. I also coordinated with other departments for scheduling things such as biopsies. I always acted in a professional manner and had the respect of many of the doctors and social workers. As well as the nursing staff. We never got lunches or breaks and our benefit package was very minimal.
Lab Pt Access
Patient Access Lab Registrar (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 24, 2018
In my job I admit specimans that were either collected in office or at the lab. I also spent time getting info like demos and dx codes from drs offices.
Good place
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 29, 2018
Great colleagues, good environment, pleasant schedule, experienced supervision, easy access to transportation, opportunities for advanced learning, collegial environment
Co-Workers and manager were like family
Obstetrics Technician (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 23, 2018
Upper management is changing for the better, I think, but has been uninvolved in the past. The CNO does not have a sense of what the nurses and staff do on a daily basis. Her lack of contact with staff aids in poor morale. The new president makes rounds fairly regularly and has a finger on the pulse of his staff.
Pros
Loyal and dedicated coworkers
Cons
Pay does not reflect the cost of living in Boulder and benefits are weak
teamwork oriented
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 7, 2018
this was my first job as a new grad and i could not have asked for a more helpful and welcoming team. I was in float pool so i am able to experience most of the floors there.
Pros
great scheduling teamwork
Cons
lack of administrative support
Great Place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 4, 2018
Mgt supports staff. Other departments will come together and help support each other when necessary. More of a family environment rather than a "work" environment.
na
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 11, 2018
it was a nice place to work at, I did not want to live but had issues with a other aid that was mean to me but it was a nice place to work and I just need it a new start with my husband.
Poor
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 2, 2018
Top heavy on management and administration.
Low pay and benefits compared to hospitals in the nearby areas.
Unable to afford to work/ and live in Boulder with wages
Pros
Great coworkers
Flexible
Patient Access Scheduler, Registrar, Lead (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 27, 2017
Typically the day changes based on your department. They have a great PTO and EIB program, plus great health benefits. Parking for employees can be difficult and they do not have many options for career advancement and there management needs improvement.
Pros
great schedules, Pto, Benefits
Cons
Low pay, lack of advancement
Workplace culture
Advanced Practice Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 20, 2017
Great work environment. Pay is not competitive but otherwise good place to work.
I have continued to work at BCH for almost 15 years. It is a supportive work culture.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Pay
Productive and constantly changing workplace
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 14, 2017
Schedule patients for Imaging Appointments, Pre-register patients for
surgical procedures. Update insurance information. Verify orders from physician offices. Communicate with physician offices about patient care,and Hospital protocols. Verify Medical Necessity with Medicare. I learned that there are a lot of doctors who do not understand the ICD-10 coding system. I enjoy working with the patients, and helping them find their way through the maze of healthcare.
Boulder Community Homecare
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Boulder County, CONovember 21, 2017
The office staff, nursing and therapists are very experienced & thorough. They knock themselves out on a regular basis w/ some extremely complex patients who have limited resources. They take the patients that for profit agencies won't touch. I love the close collaboration and focus on the patients. Emotionally it can be draining to have one demanding case after another and there isn't an internal support system.
The pay is just fair, but if you work 20 hrs. you are eligible for all the benefits in prorated form. That is a lifesaver in this world of per visit therapy pay without benefits. No one works full-time except some of the office staff. I don't know how people survive financially. I have to have another job in order to make ends meet. It is telling in that there are NO MALES on the staff. My theory is that the pay is just too low....
That said, it is an amazing place in that there is very little turn-over so the office flows smoothly and you get to develop personal relationships w/ intake and all the supervisors. Dedicated is how I'd describe my co-workers. Many staff have left and then returned.
They have just gone from paper to computers and are using Meditech software which is among the least user friendly sw that I've used. They had the nursing and rehab. supervisors teaching us how to use a system that they didn't know how to use!!! I've worked at all kinds of hospitals & agencies that document on computers and I've never seen so little IT support to the field staff during the transition.
I wish they paid better and offered more work and I would be very happy
  more... to work here until I retire. In the meantime, I need to find another job w/ more hours and better pay......  less
Pros
Experienced & collaborative co-workers, Community oriented, Dedicated staff
Cons
Low pay, Limited hrs., Forgotten stepchild of the hospital
Caution with the Lab
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 21, 2017
BCH lab has very bad management. Too many managers in the lab. They are all best friends and defend each other. It's definitely a clique, so they ignore the mistreatment of the employees.
The leads are very inappropriate and don't know how to treat others. They treat you as if you are incompetent and just another warm body. One of the leads is very hostile and aggressive. The other continues to sexually harass young women.
Pros
Great coworkers
Miss it
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CO 80304August 23, 2017
I should have stayed. If only the drive wouldn't have been so long. :(
I learned a lot of skills and made good friends. Knowledge and training I can take anywhere. VERY fun, old hospital!
Pros
learned about insurance and processing claims
Cons
Too far to drive, too many tasks to shoulder toward the end of my employment there
I love working for BCH
Patient Portal Rep/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 3, 2017
They treat their employees swell, the pay is decent and good benefits. I feel like I am missing out, if I choose another career, but I have to go where my heart is, and that is in a different state. Otherwise, I would be with BCH forever.
Great patients and coworkers but terrible management and low morale
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 1, 2017
If you are a new grad in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, then this is the perfect place to start your career for a year or two and then move on. You can expect to obtain experience in a variety of scans and be trained by some skilled and some not-so-skilled sonographers. If you stay longer than 6 months, you will help orient and train others who were hired that don't even know how to scan and then watch them leave when they can get a better job elsewhere. You will have plenty of goodbye parties because the turnover rate is rediculous. You will learn to love your coworkers dearly because you absolutely have to support one another on a skeleton crew. Be prepared to be overworked because it is ALWAYS understaffed. Management will pretend to care and pretend that they respect and value staff opinions but constantly make changes and decisions that don't make sense to those of us who work in direct patient contact. Management is a complete partisanship and will find a way to get rid of anyone who disagrees, which, in turn, will increase your workload when they're gone. Morale of the Ultrasound Department is usually in the toilet, and when it is, it is YOUR fault. Management will label you as disgruntled and "poison in the pot" rather than do anything positive to boost morale. Work your tail off while bad managers breed more bad managers. When multiple Sonographers approach Human Resources with proof of dishonesty and lack of integrity in a supervisor, be prepared for absolutely nothing because that's exactly what happens.

If you are a Sonographer with experience and are offered
  more... a position with BCH, be warned that you will most likely turn it down due to low-ball pay. Be very specific about your job description, hours, pay, benefits, raises/bonuses, etc. because it will most likely be different by the time you actually start.

If it means anything, I was a Sonographer at BCH that stuck it out longer than most. The average life span there is 1-2 years, if that. I was NEVER written up and I was NOT fired; I left on my own after I had put up with the bull long enough.
Pros
Amazing and supportive coworkers and radiologists
Cons
High turnover; untrustworthy management
Aloof
Middle management (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 28, 2017
No one can afford to live anywhere near BCH. Wages don't allow it. Management wants to act like they care. Patients are aloof and over demanding. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, management
Warning
Lab Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 21, 2017
I am going to save you time a day heartache, by being truthfully honest about this place.

You will be over worked and underpaid, and Management will act like they care about you but in all reality they don't. If Management does not like you they will find a way to dispose you.

Not a good place to work, if you do not believe me then apply and find out for yourself!
Pros
Good lunches, great co workers, hours
Cons
Management, work load, over worked, you end up doing majority of the med techs job and they claim all the credit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boulder Community Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss