Boy Scouts of America Employee Reviews

Found 1,732 reviews matching the search See all 1,742 reviews
I was a boy scout
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILOctober 11, 2018
I was a boy scout in troop one and did not get paid for the services. The Boy Scouts of America is a non for profit intuition and is volunteer based. I
I was a Boy Scout, and I decided to mentor the new scouts
Currently a Junior Assistant Scout Master (Current Employee) –  Van Buren, OHOctober 9, 2018
I go on camping trips as a mentor and help the younger scouts with there merit badges. We all ways have a lot of fun learning and teaching each other.
Great place for entry level forestry
Sawyer and Fuels Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, COOctober 8, 2018
Great place to enter into a forestry program. Supervisor was very patient and very willing to teach and share experience. I still volunteer to burn slash piles in the winter because I still feel a deep connection to the area.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Low pay
Excellent organization with massive room to learn and grow.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Hollister, CAOctober 8, 2018
I began my time in the BSA in 2009, if my memory serves. I had a great time all the way through, made several good friends, traveled often, and learned several useful leadership skills along the way. While the Eagle Scout Project was a job, I learned a lot about leadership and project management because I had worked on it. Scouts has kept my integrity rock-solid and has given me a work ethic like nothing I've felt before. I couldn't be happier about my time with the BSA.
Pros
Excellent learning experience, leadership opportunities, and guidance.
Cons
Travel schedules don't wait for anyone, little to no monetary pay.
kind of fun
Assistant Director of Headquarters (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85016October 7, 2018
kind of fun if you have the time and inclination during a summer to work for low wages as a director helping boy scouts earn their badges and gain work experience
Pros
free meals
Cons
early roll call
Oversaw 5 county district regarding fundraising & events
District Executive (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSOctober 7, 2018
Administrate fundraising drives (primarily ‘Friends of Scouting’), marketing, and council events / activities for the Jayhawk Area Council. Spent days traveling to local business & community events to endure donations & giving. Assisted or oversaw specific district events.
Fast paced structured job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Surry, VAOctober 6, 2018
The boy scout camp is a great opportunity to hone your skill and to learn new skills . It is structured work and feels great to hlp the younger scouts learn new skills.
Volunteer
Volunteer - District Advancement Chair (Current Employee) –  Marion, IAOctober 6, 2018
I do not work for the BSA I run our Cub Scout pack. it does take time to do so. I have enjoyed everything i have gotten to do with the pack. i have been everything from a den leader to the head of the pack .
Productive and fun
Advancement Chair (Former Employee) –  La Grange, ILOctober 4, 2018
This was a Volunteer position that provided me the opportunity to help young men grow and learn skills that they can utilize long into their future. These skills were acquired through the boys working toward earning Merit Badges, and camping, participating in skill-based activities, and sports.
My position was to monitor each scouts advancement and maintain records of each scout for the quarterly award ceremonies.

The best part of this position was seeing the boys succeed and being part of promoting their success.
Pros
Positive atmosphere and learning environment
I will not summarize
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 4, 2018
I do not feeling placing a review on public forums is the proper thing to do for any employer current or past. I politely refuse to post anything at this time.
Good Summer Supplemental Position
COPE Director (Current Employee) –  Milford, CTOctober 3, 2018
Working at Camp Sequassen is an excellent summer job. As a program area director, I have been able to put together a program that helps scouts to learn to solve problems and overcome fears. The camp puts together an excellent program that is all about teaching scouts skills they need to succeed in life.
It was fun got to work with kids and overall a great experience
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Tishomingo, OKOctober 3, 2018
We had a great work place they had strict rules that keep us safe and the kids safe the most fun was helping scout and getting them to become better scouts
Everyone should have the experience of working at a Scout Camp.
COMMISSIONER (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, IDOctober 1, 2018
I gained so much life experience at Bartlett Scout Reservation. I learned to work hard and be happy, and I met some of my closest friends there. The job is truly challenging, but if you bring the right attitude,your best days working at camp will be some of the best days of your life.
Pros
Free housing in the beautiful outdoors, great friends, knowledge, life experience, character building
Cons
The food is bad sometimes
Career start
Field Director (Former Employee) –  Albemarle, NCSeptember 30, 2018
Wonderful organization to start a career. I began as an entry level employee, and promoted through the ranks to a senior manager. The organization supported me in every way possible.
Pros
Community impact
Cons
Long, varying hours.
Busy Atmosphere
Archery Director (Former Employee) –  Pioneer, CASeptember 28, 2018
There is an excellent culture that has formed amongst employees that compensates for the long hours you have to work. If you want to work here, you need to work hard, improvise on occasion, and push through tough times.
Pros
Fulfilling work
Cons
Long hours, seasonal employment
Typical Work Day at summer camp
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Lakeshore, CASeptember 27, 2018
During camp, we would start off the day with a morning flag ceremony. We would then eat breakfast and then head to the teaching stations to teach younger scouts. We would then eat lunch at twelve and then do open stations afterwards. After that came dinner, then we would have free time
Pros
Relaxed enviroment
Cons
In the middle of an island
Not bad Not good
Volunteer Member Services Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 27, 2018
I worked as a Volunteer Member Services Helpdesk. I was used to keeping customers on the phone and helping them out. I know now what it is like to be a customer service person on the phone.
It’s a very easy job.
Runner (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 25, 2018
I loaded boxes on the line and also fill the locations with the items. I also fill boxes of small orders and over sized boxes. When we was short people I’d also load the truck.
Organization for youth
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop #98, BSA (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 25, 2018
I see this as the backbone of our country; as it is a National Community Service. Although many people don't see it as such, they don't know that it serves America's Youth.
Pros
Very productive
Cons
Met with resistance from those not used to a governmental structure
They sucked
Crafts Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 24, 2018
I worked there for two summers. Both summers were horrid. They used the children they employed basically like trash. They under paid me at the time, and they tried to stiff me because I'm a girl. There was a giant fiasco after I found out about it, and later on was treated horrid because I told the person in charge that they were discriminating against me. The hardest part of the job was working free time, I not only had four class sessions, but free time was not free for me. All the other staff rotated free time and had time off. I did not, it was not fun. The only part I like about that job were the other staffers, all of them were either in my ship crew, or girls that actually got along with everyone. To be fair, I would work there again, but I fi had the knowledge I have now, I would have probably never been hired.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Horrible hours, People in charge sucked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boy Scouts of America. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight