Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 5,682 reviews matching the search See all 5,701 reviews
Horrible place to work - management is hateful and has no idea what is going on
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNNovember 19, 2018
This place was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. The management is so clueless it is not even funny. All they care about is money and not the kids. Management talks about staff when they are not there to other staff and half the time the children are not even supervised. DO NOT WORK HERE!
Pros
It's a job and the kids are great
Cons
Everything else - especially management
Work with the kids
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 17, 2018
Boys and Girls Club is a great place to work if you enjoy working with children. They are quick to promote within the company. I would however not take a job in the main office but continue my career working with the children in the sites. If you work in the office you will learn quickly and become disappointed to learn that upper management have no idea whats going on or what they are doing. Everything is done solely on trial and error and they do not have any answers to questions from employees which is scary. They like to make judgement calls with no bases
Pros
Plenty of promotion opportunities
Cons
Upper management have no idea whats going on
Very productive place for the youth and young adults
group leader/activities director (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 16, 2018
Working here helped me discover my passion for helping others. It taught me how to be mature enough to handle situations that I’m not accustomed too such as mentoring when needed and just being an overall accommodating person. I learned to have better communication skills when dealing with people of all ages and also on how to act and social when put into certain situations as well.
Pros
The kids, free food, Free events, sponsored by famous sport teams
Cons
Barley any hours to work
Helped set up and helped move things to the storage.
Volunteer with boys and girls club (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme, CANovember 16, 2018
I learned that working with others can brighten your day just overall was there for the experience, didn’t expect to get paid, helped them with lots of things like the front desk, setting tables up, setting up the gym, and moving things around.
Pros
No would
Interacting with children and their families
Learning Instructor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 15, 2018
Establishing positive relationships with children and their families.Provide supportive services to families.Develop lessons to support children and their development.
productive and challenging activities such as ping pong
Babysitter (Former Employee) –  McKeesport, PANovember 15, 2018
A typical day at work is boring, they don't ask you to do anything but pass out lunches or help kids with homework. I learned how to be a responsible mentor for little kids. Management was poor. Workplace culture was not defined. The hardest part of the job was getting there on time, or having to go straight from school to work, having long day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the food, PB&J uncrustables.
Pros
free lunhes
Cons
short breaks
It Was a great place to spend. The activities were fun and great time passing.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CANovember 15, 2018
The Boys and Girls Club was a great experience to gain volunteer work. The work was fun and life-changing, every staff sets a good mood towards the place. Overall, the place is a great area to set the moods up and have fun while getting the work done.
Pros
Fun Activites, Times Passing Fast, Great Environment
Fun workplace
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LANovember 15, 2018
I really enjoyed working with the kids and the staff. Everyone was outspoken and loved coming to work. We made sure the kids came in and did their homework first. They knew what they had to do everyday so that wasn't a problem. They knew after homework hour that they could play and enjoy the rest of their day there.
Fun and fabulous working to help kids thrive.
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 14, 2018
Working with kids to establish a safe and creative environment where they can thrive and grow. Encouraging learning and looking to the future possibilities of an education.
Fun Place to Be
Youth Development Professional (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 14, 2018
This place is full of people who care about kid's futures.
The culture here is phenomenal. Everyone pitches in to make every day happen.

The hardest part of the job is assuring the kids are having fun while also being safe, the most enjoyable part is seeing everything come together.
Pros
free meals, discounts, kids, events
Cons
stressful, short breaks
Awesome place for kids
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Independence, MONovember 14, 2018
Great afterschool and before school programs. The Boys and Girls Club offer a variety of learning experiences and a chance to obtain academic scholarships.
youth services
Youth Development Worker/ Athletic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 14, 2018
A interesting organization to work for, you apply for a particular position and they interview for another, low level workers are not appreciated , the pay is low for the work you actually do
Pros
Youth
Cons
everything else
Lifeguard Life
Summer Camp LifeGuard (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJNovember 14, 2018
Relatively light work, not much manual labor.
Duties consisted of monitoring all campers under my watch and assuring their safety.
My supervisor orchestrated a boating program for the campers.
Throughout we taught campers boating safety and how to operate small and large kayaks, as well as canoes, jet skis and small vessels.
Not as it seems
LICENSED CHILDCARE SITE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MANovember 14, 2018
All about getting the next dollar from either a donation or board of directors. Staff are as easy to replace as socks. No paid vacation time or sick time. Low supplies and high enrollment fee.
Cons
Understaffed, over-worked
Love the job
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 14, 2018
Love my job because I live to help others especially the children. I feel like everyone deserves a chance to get together and make new friends as well as learn and be positive. It's great when you can combine that with having fun in a safe environment working with awesome people.
Pros
The smiles
Cons
My check
Great Culture
Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 13, 2018
Left Because second shift is tough to raise a family. I loved the Job, boss was great. I learned a lot about myself. At the end of the day i had to leave because I had a little girl I had to come home to.
ehh
Part time program specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 13, 2018
They kept cutting hours to keep people from being classified as full time.
They dumped more money into sports than the actual programming part
They SERIOUSLY need to do a cultural competency training
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CANovember 13, 2018
Asked me If I needed another jr. staff member to help me take out the trash or clean up a certain area. Gave me everything I needed to do the task with.
Truly has the ability to help those who need it mosr
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WANovember 13, 2018
The power of the BGC is only dependent on the staff in the sites on the ground floor. Retention of these staff is the largest key to success that this org has. I thank all the parents that have trusted their kids with the BGC. They do great work caring, educating and inspiring the youth in the community.
Pros
Passion and impact
Cons
staff growth
Boys & Girls club of Philadelphia
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2018
Working with the Boys & Girls Club of Philadelphia is a awesome place to work, if you love kids. I would recommend some friends there. its an awesome place to work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
no breaks