Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 5,509 reviews matching the search See all 5,769 reviews
It was fun working with kids and being sociable
San Francisco, CA (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2018
I really liked it there it was fun and helping was fun i left because I was busy with school. There are so many departments that the kids could choose from and they really help the kids with their homework
Pros
Free lunch
Productive work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORSeptember 22, 2018
The Boys and Girls Club was a very productive work place and was perfect if you love working with children. I was a role model to a lot of children which made me work a lot harder. I believe if anyone wanted to start a career caring and providing with children, I think that they should go to the Boys and Girls Club.
Pros
Laughs
Fun Place To Work In Summer
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2018
The summer camp is really fun. You get to go on great field trips with the kids. I enjoyed it a lot. The environment was really friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
sometimes underprepared
Chaotic Culture
Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2018
Senior "leaders" are seriously overpaid (see 990) and frequently do little to justify six figure salaries. Reviews, even good ones, rarely result in more than a 3% salary increase for non-execs. Resource Development rules the roost and is led by a sociopath. Health benefits are excellent and four weeks vacation is also great, although if you are considered administrative staff, it's two weeks vacation. The organization typically cheaps out on infrastructure including software, computers, copiers ... all the stuff essential for an office environment. Culture is anachronistic and morale seems universally low. BIG NONPROFIT
A Great Place Overall
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, MASeptember 21, 2018
My job at "the Club" consisted of getting to work at 9 and usually ending at around 5, depending on if we were going out that day (i.e. the beach, hiking etc). However, every other day we'd stay in which consisted of going to the pool, doing arts and crafts, reading times, going to the gym to play games, and sometimes we'd have special guests coming in to teach the kids things such as magic or yoga. I learned about all the childrens' struggles and difficulties in their lives, and I learned a lot about patience as well, due to some children either having behavoir issues or mental disorders such as autism. My boss was great, and someone I've known since I was a kid due to the fact that I went to the Boys and Girls Club as a camper previously. The culture was great because everyone just wanted to have fun. The hardest part of the job was keeping control of some kids, but it was worth it because we saw how happy all of the other ones were.
Pros
Great children
Cons
Coworkers not always very engaged
Great
Staff Leader (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXSeptember 20, 2018
A typical day at work was amazing. Through this job I have learned that I would very much like to work with kids as an actual career. It's just such a laid back work environment and I love everyone I work with.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Productive and fun work place
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 20, 2018
Boys and girls clubs of America is a great stepping stone for young children and brings opportunity’s above and beyond imagination. From college tours to camping trips the boys and girls clubs of America does fine jobs of keeping kids on the right path and building their character the right way.
Nice job
lead elementary-age students (Former Employee) –  wanesSeptember 20, 2018
Nice job for a high school or college kid. The supervisors are very laid back and always work around your schedule. Get the opportunity to shape so many of these young kids' future.
Pros
laid back
Cons
kids can cause stress
Program Director/Supervisor
Program Director/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Supervising the implementation of the program with staff to ensure these programs are effectively delivered according to to the curriculum standard.

I learned how to work with staff personnel with different temperaments.

I managed a staff that was challenging at times to work with because of personal problems but we managed to overcome every obstacle
that came our way.

I work with a staff of every ethnicity and background.

The hardest part of the job was having to suspend or fire staff for neglecting to perform their job duties.

The most enjoyable part of the job was experiencing the staff performing their jobs with passion, sincerity, and drive.
Pros
Health Care
Cons
Free lunch from my supervisor as a reward.
fun place
cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2018
helping kids was the best part and seeing them happy. Management was good. I greeted the kids as they came in the club. Even helped then contact their parents if need. Escorted the kids to the designated area.
Supportive, Collaborative culture with kids as the first priority
Impact Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2018
I come in and have some time to settle before tasks are presented to me, and I am given time to complete any of my own tasks I know need to be completed as well. We are given time to prepare and meet before kids arrive, and everyone knows what is expected for the day. My managers are constructive and supportive but firm. We are all given room to personalize our approach within the parameters of our organizational standards. I learned how to manage large groups of kids, implement programming, create programming, facilitate discipline when needed, mentor and collaborate with my peers, and make connections with difficult children.

The culture at the clubs is very friendly, supportive, and compassionate. I have never received judgement for needing a mental health day, needing some help, or providing constructive criticism. The toughest part of the job is the stress. There are times when I feel I haven't been given enough notice to prepare for a group, or when supplies haven't been provided or replenished. At times there are children at the club who I feel have not received consequences fitting their behavior.

By far, the kids are the most enjoyable part of my job. I have forged strong connections with so many of them. If/when I leave I will be sad to leave them behind.
Pros
fun with the kids, expression, fun staff, family-like environment, fulfilling work
Cons
no breaks once kids are there, very stressful
Work is rewarding
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WISeptember 19, 2018
The Club is a great place to work , you get to help the community and the kids of that community directly with issues as simple as homework or as difficult as social interactions gone wrong.
Good Job
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wimauma, FLSeptember 19, 2018
It is a great job if you love being around kids and mentoring. Can be highly stressful dealing with all the kids but can be worth it at the end of the day. Only con would be the hours due to members being at school most of the day.
Productive and fun place to work
Child Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 19, 2018
Any positive you can think about in a job this company had it.
Getting paid bi-weekly, room to grow/promote, flexible hours, compassion, excellent treatment
Pros
Cons
Took out the morning program at the location I was working at.
Overall
Athletic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2018
The boys and girls club is a wonderful place to work. Removing all the changes that are happening, it is a wonderful place to work. Great staff all-around, great impacting the kids lives in many ways, GREAT in all ways!! Overall it is a great place to work and very flexible.
Pretty Good
Youth Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 18, 2018
At my most recent job of San Antonio Boys and Girls Club it wasn't as expected. It wasn't as fun or an exciting of an environment as it should be working with kids.
great
ELLIS LIFEGUARD/SWIMMING INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 18, 2018
it was fine working with kids has its challenges overall was a great experience child care workers should get paid alot more than we do. i learned that kids are great
Productive and fun environment to be with children.
Was given the honor of becoming varsity captain (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GASeptember 17, 2018
Play fun educational games with the children and do school work. Help them learn responsibilities and make grown up decisions. Help them clean up after themselves.
relaxed
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Carver Ranches, FLSeptember 17, 2018
I really liked working as a lifeguard here. It was a really great place to work and gain work experience if you have never worked before. The people at the pool get paid more which rounded out about to $10 but the people inside were paid at the minimal $8.50.
good
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 17, 2018
Enjoyed making a difference in the children's lives, job was fun and upbeat. Loved the coworkers that I had. Management was good about working around my college schedule