Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Found 5,840 reviews matching the search See all 5,867 reviews
Fun life experience interacting with different young personalities had a blast
MAINTENANCE/JANITOR (Former Employee) –  Fall River MaJanuary 21, 2019
Had a great experience just wished I didn't have to leave would go back if I could had a great boss and the co-workers were awesome I made some real close relationships with some of the kids that were going through some tough times in there life made me take a look at My own life love to make kids ,people smile !!!!
Pros
Play basketball, pool, ping pong free lunch with the kids
Cons
Some young tempers
nice fun workplace
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 21, 2019
I enjoyed working here. I loved being around the kids able to talk to them daily about life. I was able to relate to most of the children here which i loved the most about working here.
Pros
Safe Fun work environment
Cons
Low Pay
Learning Experience
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 21, 2019
Great environment to impact and change a child's life, this is a selfless job and requires dedication to children. The rewards come from the smile you put on a child's face and simply listening and making their day better.
Pros
Impacting and Empowering Children
Cons
Poor Management
Ok place to work,They have a cool recreational area
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95814January 20, 2019
The place I volunteered at was cool the people there were ok to a sense. The work environment of the work place was diverse, there were a lot of different faces and personality's.
Challenging yet rewarding
Site Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 20, 2019
This is a job that you must enjoy what your doing daily. The frustrations of working are minor distractions to the possible impact you have n the young lives. I find great reward in connecting the youth to opportunities that they otherwise would not be exposed to .
Pros
collaborative meetings
Cons
limited transportation and mobility
A fun place for kids
counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 19, 2019
Taking care of kids and taking them to trips and a lot of fun activities they have time to play in the pool and other rooms full of others Activites they have video games, cocking class science class , health class.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast
Cons
Short breaks
Fun workplace
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 18, 2019
The kids were wonderful and made the job worth it. Learned a lot of new skills and was able to put them in my everyday life. Collaborating with other young adults on how to make our younger generation better was a great as well.
nice workplace
Intake Specialist/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 18, 2019
I learned how to manage a lot of reports. I developed skills of how to be a team player.The children that I worked with were at risk children and although it was challenge, it was rewarding.
Pros
non stress workplace
Cons
pay could have been better
i loved this job
Youth Development Professional (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 18, 2019
if you love working with children, then this is the right job for you. You're really hands on with children, helping them with homework, creating activities for their play time. activities can be indoor and/or outdoor. like handball, basketball, dodgeball, and indoor activities and arts and crafts or musical chairs. I think when I unwillingly left, the rules had changed a bit and the indoor activities had to be educational. you can easily look up childs education activities online.
Boys and Girls Club
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAJanuary 17, 2019
It was a good working experience, allowed me to work with children in different age groups. It was a comfortable to place to work and grow with experience in children.
Pros
childcare
Cons
no benefits
Boys and Girls Club
Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 16, 2019
This place went downhill and corporate is let it. Leaving was the best choice I ever made. The children there are out of control and the staff is lazy. They don't provide any of the activites listed on their website. Hours are only given to corporate favorites. Staff members are constantly cursing at and around the children. Theres been talk of funds and donations being misused.
It was a very good experience overall
Customer Service Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 16, 2019
They worked with you hands on
They placed you in real jobs to gain more experience
The training required alot of computer work
Chances To Play Leader Roles
You deserve better! Apply elsewhere!!
Part Timer (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 15, 2019
I liked the idea behind working with children, inspiring the youth, and having flexible hours of work despite the minimum pay, but the management at the location where I worked at made my experience one that I REGRET to have applied.

Most of the employees including myself thought the unit director was UNFIT for her job. Due to confidentiality, I will keep this person's name anonymous, but those who have worked here would agree with me that her name should be revealed so that the company would dismiss her, or at the very least, make her go through the employee's training just like they made all the part timers did... That is, on top of a management course, they should go through courses that make them reflect on how THEY should present themselves professionally at work, and ways to communicate better to their employees and members, rather than in a contemptuous manner.

A MICROMANAGER who is also DISORGANIZED, MANIPULATIVE, and HYPOCRITICAL should NOT be in charge of running the place. There have been countless times when I saw this person abuses her role of authority just because she was having a bad day, so she imposes that negativity onto the employees and members at the BGC.

Consider this if you are still interested... Either apply to work at the preschool next door, or just do yourself a favor and stay away from this location.
Pros
Gain experiences working with children and adolescents, flexible hours
Cons
Poor managment, minimal pay, not enough supplies for planning activities, and you may not be placed in the job position you apply for
Camp counselor
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 15, 2019
Camp counselor was responsible for 8 campers for the duration of the day, responsible to keep track of each campers allergies and make sure proper meal or snacks was given to the correct kid and mediated any conflicts between campers.
A fun workplace with kids
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 15, 2019
Have patiences
Respect other
No cursing around kids
Help others
Do your JOB
Give respect get respect ✊🏾
Have a smile on your face everyday
Make the kids leave happy
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Horrible management and culture
Unit Director (Former Employee) –  Freno caJanuary 15, 2019
The Fresno organization is one place I’d avoid. From the overpaid executive staff who are clueless to the furloughs to the lack of resources to adequately perform my job was one of many reasons. Advancenment was a joke. They promote those who are not always qualified or if they like you. They have a director who’s wife is HR and in charge of the clubs. They have a lot of grants but don’t give enough to the children. In the summer they don’t increase hours for staff unless it’s paid by a grant. The moral and culture is a joke. They claim to be for the employees but their actions and words say differently. If they had better top leadership this would be a great organization.
Pros
The kids!
Cons
Pay, furloughs, advancement, favoritism, management, lack of resources, moral, culture, lackluster facilities
enjoyable
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJanuary 15, 2019
i like working at the boys and girl club it was always fun and interesting see the kids everyday see them growing to be adult and knowing you had a impact on their life one way.Hardest part about this job was when i had put in,time out
Pros
everything
Cons
leaving
Fast-paced, fun, educational, rncouraging, purpose driven
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 15, 2019
A regular day consisted of attendance tracking program planning staff meetings collaboration and site preparation for the after-school program. I learned many tools to educate and empower Junior High and high school students. The management support was excellent, they strive to empower and equipped you with all the necessary tools to run an effective after school program. The workplace culture was teamwork oriented everyone strives to help each other out, and everyone supports each other's events such as family nights and other special events. The hardest part of my job was maintaining Student enrollment towards the end of the year, yet the best part of my job was serving every student in the after-school program
Pros
Free trip to Memphis Tennessee
Cons
Not much engagement from management
Supportive, encouraging and challenging
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Salida, COJanuary 14, 2019
BGCCC provides a work environment that allows me to take risk, initiative and be creative. My board is supportive and pushes appropriately to strive.
Pros
Location, board of directors support
Cons
Small town
Nice
Tutor, Boys and Girls Club, Tuscaloosa AL (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 13, 2019
This was a very nice and relaxing company to work for. The hours are long but they are worth the Stress. This was one of the best jobs I've ever had. I would not mind working for this company again.