Boys & Girls Clubs of America
78Above average
4.2

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA22 reviews
I really enjoy working at the boys& girls club it's a safe environment for children who are taught how to be productive in their daily lives, how to get along with others there's always things for the children to do.
Pros
Good place to work!
Cons
No pay raise
A typical day at work would include constantly checking the number of kids in your group along with keeping an up-to-date roster of all the children's names, sign-in and sign-out times.
During the summer it’s good but as to make a living no. They prefer people. Low pay and low hours. I love the kids but that is all. You have to yell a lot.
Typical day consist of dealing with elementary kids in a afterschool setting. Have a great staff is very important. It can be unorganized at times but that can be do to staff calling off.
Great job, the staff is very knowledgeable, the kids and different age groups makes it a very diverse place to work at learned how to work independently and fast pace.
Pros
field-trips.
Cons
no coverage for part time.
The hours were flexible for people with children. The environment was safe for staff and students. The staff worked well together. Not much room for advancement.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No room for advancement
I enjoyed working with children so it was a simple experience that i enjoyed quite a lot as a high school student. Many of my Friends also volunteered time after school to help as well. I had a great time and have many fond memories of my time there.
Pros
The children were all hilarious
Cons
the lunches were a bit over priced for what was available to them
My experience was a teachable experience. I was given an opportunity to utilize educational knowledge and learn new skills and experiences. Although successful, I have mixed reviews about my position as Director. I learned problem solving skills and how to navigate thru a very challenging social service system. I enjoyed most working with abuse and neglected children. Working with them and their families was rewarding and disappointing.
Pros
Helping disstressed families
Cons
Not enough agency support and training.
Loved working with children. Was given opportunities to step up and expand my knowledge. It was a great environment and getting to know kids and their families personally. Very rewarding.
I was responsible for the before and after school program as well as our camp programs. I supervise and trained staff that worked with children in our program. Developed programs for children to participate in during their day. Maintained staff and children's files in compliance with state licencing guidelines. Maintained and monitored accounts receivable for weekly payments. Worked closely with parents of children in our programs. Created a itinerary for summer program that included field trips, pool trips, and day to day activities that were conducted on side. Developed and wrote a monthly newsletter for parents, children, and staff to let them know what was happening at the club and in our program.

I would say that this was probably the best job I ever had. I never felt as if I was at work, unfortunately the recession hit and working for a non-profit was a bit precarious. I felt that I need to expand my horizons and move onto something that could offer my more money and more opportunity. If the above had been available to me here at the Club I would most likely still be there and loving every minute of it.
Pros
making a difference in a child's life, mentoring
Cons
lack of compensation
Working at the boys & Girls Club is quite the experience. Being on site with the kids was very exciting. we get to meet very different personalities and characteristics. Dealing with the supervisors was a challenge based on the fact they were only concerned with numbers and not anything else
I worked there for 2 summer as a counselor in training and I do not regret a second of it. Working at the Boys and Girls club was a fantastic experience for me and I really appreciate all the individuals who worked there. It was a great atmosphere and the superiors really cared about our well being and all the people I worked with, counselors in training and the regular counselor were really nice. I learned a lot about leadership and having to work well with other people. The hardest part of the job probably is just maintaining control and remaining calm at all times with the different behavioral issues of the different kids.
Pros
The atmosphere, trips with the kids, relationships formed
Cons
N/a
as a camp counselor, i learned about about kids and how they grow up. i learned the most important thing is that to never criticize, but always encourage
Great kids and staff are great but there are internal problems, lack of communication, no raises and somewhat unprofessional attitude from many. Some of the staff is amazing, and yet not recognized for their talents.
Pros
Staff and kids
Cons
no raises, failure to recognize and promote talent
Great people! A job that makes you feel good! A fast paced environment full of different challenges everyday! Co workers are great people and everyone likes their job. The hardest part about the day is leaving.
• Provided administrative assistance to the Finance Department
• Performed daily Accounts Payable transactions

• Reconciled the advanced check register

• Performed data entry of Purchase Orders and invoices
As a volunteer with the Boys and Girls club, our main role was to help supervise the young children and organize fundraisers for the club. And I learned a lot from both.
• Guide 5-12 age students with homework
• Educate 5-12 age students healthy eating

• Engage in physical activity with 5-12 yr. old students
Working for any Non-Profit is a very tough business, the economic outlook of our County is tough and people are not as giving as they were before the Mortgage BUST occurred. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington as a culture of let's give away our services for free. Which is good in one hand, but NOT good in the other hand. Why? BILLS have to be paid and lights need to be on, and great what we do for the children, but we have to turn a profit. That is one of the reasons why CLUBS CLOSED.
Pros
Teaching our Children
Cons
To many chiefs, not enough indains! everybody wants to be a boss and DC culture is all about themselves.
I learned how the compile database reports for Capital Hill in which it allowed me to interact with The Senators & House Reps on hoe much money they were spending in each club.. I truly enjoyed working with my co-workers.. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the Boys & Girls at the clubs
Great people, great services, great place for a kid to grow and develop. Safe, secure and a foundation on which kids can build their lives.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
3.7K
2.1K
1.1K
Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.