Boys Town Employee Reviews

It is not easy, but the best things in life never are!
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 10, 2018
I was an Assistant Family Teacher. This job is hard. Long hours, never enough pay. BUT you are truly impacting the lives of children every day. This job is directly working with the youth in their day to day lives. AFT's help support the Family Teaching Couple that lives on campus to care for 4-8 kids in their home. It is a partnership to help keep the kids on track and successful. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose - but when you really step back and look at what you have done - you are impacting their lives for the better. The best part of the job is the kids and the hardest part of the job is the kids. Boys Town could look at increasing pay and ensuring that there are enough staff so that time off could be taken when needed. Many at Boys Town work really hard or "bleed Boys Town blue" they need to take care of themselves so that they don't get burn out.
Pros
Great benefits, great mission, impactful
Cons
Pay could be better, job can be tough
December 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We are thrilled to see that you were able to make a positive impact in the lives of the youth here at Boys Town. Our employees are an important part of achieving Boys Town's mission, and that's why we offer great benefit options. We encourage all of our employees to be open and honest about their work/life balance to their supervisor or the Human Resources Department, as their health is essential to ensure they are getting the most of their experience as an employee here at Boys Town.

Very cut throat, racist management
Care Coordinating Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 20, 2018
Salary and benefits were the best things however, it was not worth the lack of work-life balance and racist culture in management. You could not pay me to work there again.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Negative culture
October 24, 2018

We appreciate you leaving feedback and are saddened to see your experience. Boys Town does not tolerate illegal discrimination and harassment, and processes are in place to ensure that employee concerns are resolved fairly, quickly and as amicably as possible.We provide diversity and inclusion training to all new employees and annually deliver training and workshops designed to help our managers and supervisors better understand their legal and ethical responsibilities.

Supervisor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 16, 2018
Would not recommend. You will take work home and be on call 5 days a week 24 hours. The compensation doesn't equal the work in which you will be completing. Management is not culturally education or diverse.
November 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. From the top down, the key to our organization is our commitment to not only our mission, but to our employees. Since taking care of is one of our employees is one of our core values, we’re always looking for ways to ensure our employees have equal access to growth and development opportunities and that are management is trained in diversity and inclusion. Additionally, we strive to provide an environment where employees feel they’re valued, and they are getting the work-life balance that they need.

This place is amazing
Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NEJuly 6, 2018
In my position as a Family Teacher, I worked and lived in the same place so work never stopped. Boys Town management is great about pushing you to take time off and relax. Its just hard to do sometimes. Benefits are great, family life was good, it was just that sometimes the job would pull you from your family. Its a great place to work though and I would consider going back.
September 17, 2018

Thank you for your work as a former Family-Teacher and the impact you made on the lives of youth and families! Should you ever consider returning to Boys Town you can view a list of our current openings at https://jobs.boystown.org.

Changing lives for families in need
In Home Family Consultant (Current Employee) –  IowaDecember 24, 2018
This job isn't for the soft hearted, you need to have a strong back bone with the variations of situations you will deal with.
It's important to learn to manage time. If you can manage your time, you will be able to make time for yourself and family.
Pros
Benefits, time off, helping families
Cons
Big caseload, travel
December 26, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to see that you are changing lives as an In-Home Family Services Consultant at Boys Town Iowa. We agree that managing time is essential at Boys Town, and encourage you to reach out to either your supervisor or the Employee Relations Hotline should you ever need assistance or guidance on how to manage time.

Fun and easy to work with
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NESeptember 9, 2018
A typical day as a student manager consisted of working with athletes, coaches, and managers. I learned a lot about working with a team, time management, and demonstrating leadership. The hardest part of the job was just being paid $8/hr. The most enjoyable part of the job was the athletes showing appreciation for the hard work that I do it really helps when I'm having a bad day.
Pros
Free lunch, travel with team, and friendship
Cons
Low pay, and mixed messages
September 17, 2018

We love to see that Boys Town made a positive impact on your live as you did for the athletes you were working with! Thank you for your review.

Fun work place
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NEOctober 6, 2018
I loved working for Boys Town. It was a great experience. I absolutely loved waking up on the mornings and getting ready to go to work for Boys Town. I wish I still worked there but due to difficult situations, I no longer work there. But I would highly recommend Boy's Town as a place of employment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not the best pay
October 8, 2018

Thank you for your time at Boys Town and for taking the time to leave a review! Your dedication to working at Boys Town is much appreciated, and we thank you for your recommendation.

Never a dull moment always constantly active
Vocational Specialist/ Rehabilitation Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Management in my department was a complete circus act. Everyday policies changed according to who was in charge. I never felt I had the opportunity to show my skills because my supervisor was always threatened by my knowledge of the industry.
September 17, 2018

We appreciate you leaving a review about your time at Boys Town, and we are saddened to see that you were not satisfied with your experience. If you would like to discuss your concerns further about leadership, please feel free to contact us at feedback@boystown.org. Thank you!

Great Place to Work
Support Worker - Foster Family Services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2018
Great place to work. Great opportunity for career growth and skill building. Its an okay place to work, and room for career advancement. I would recommend if you can deal with difficult kids.
Pros
Great Place
Cons
Stressful
September 17, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! Boys Town prides itself in the career advancement opportunities, and we thank you for your work as a former employee with our Foster Family Services program.

Quick paced environment with a unique dynamic
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boystown, NEMay 29, 2018
A typical day of work was seeing kids through their daily routine and teaching to moments where they could be making better decisions, or giving praise to moments where they changed behavior. An Assistant Family Teacher teaches social skills, runs errands, tends to specific tasks around the home, and supports the youth through their ups and downs. You work with Family Teachers most of the time, but work alone when covering their days off. The Assistant Family Teachers are expected to complete some overnights. As you can imagine, the youth at Boys Town aren't always thrilled to have new rules or expectations and may act out from time to time. This position helped me in many ways, but it can be taxing at times. A successful person in this role can manage tasks efficiently, and can communicate to kids with firmness and understanding. Holding kids accountable through your time in this role is important. Being able to give and receive feedback appropriately is important as this is woven into all aspects of the job. An assistant must be a team player and take on tasks for the betterment of each home and each child's program. The hardest part of the job is specific to each person's personality as this is a job that requires a lot of one-on-one time with a group of individuals. For some, the difficulty is time management, while for others it's the aspect of teaching to kids within a specific program. While it can be hard, I always found that my Consultant and Family Teachers were supportive and offered solutions. Knowing that you can help these kids reach attainable goals that are  more... specific to their needs is beyond rewarding, and knowing that you have coworkers that are solution focused is reassuring. It challenges you to be a person for others in a very unique way and I'm very thankful for my time in this position.  less
Pros
Continued training, weekly meetings, events and outings with youth
Cons
schedule, stressful interactions with youth
June 11, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review! We take pride in our employees and the impact that they continue to leave on at-risk youth and families.

Incredibly Stressful
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 24, 2018
The first month that I was at Boys Town was great. My schedule was fine, I enjoyed the boys in my house, and I loved the couple I worked with. After the first month, it all seemed to go down hill. First, you are not paid near enough of what you should be paid for a job as stressful and dangerous as this one can be.The only good thing regarding pay was that I was consistently getting overtime almost every paycheck as I was working 45-50 hours a week. You basically have no life outside of work and you're constantly exhausted mentally and physically after dealing with the hours and behaviors. The couple I worked with took advantage of me and would constantly leave or be back in their area of the house when we were all three supposed to work together. They also asked to do basically everything when we worked together. If one of the boys had an appointment, it was always me taking them. While I could deal with the boys by myself, it was tiring and upsetting to see them treat me the way they did. If you're scheduled to work...you work. I wasn't the only one who noticed as the boys in my house constantly made remarks about how they always left me alone on days they were supposed to be working as well. I also know I'm not the only AFT that this happened to. Family Teachers seem to think that they can just do whatever when the assistant is there. The couples make the schedules for the month and I worked basically every single weekend which is not what my schedule was supposed to be. After mentioning that I wouldn't mind having certain days off, they let me have one of the days off  more... one week and that was it. The Senior Assistant Family Teachers also seem to take advantage of the AFT. I worked with one who did absolutely nothing when we worked together and it was incredibly annoying. Again, I know other AFTs have had/have the same issue. Normally, you could go to a supervisor and talk about issues like this but I was uncomfortable with mine and didn't feel like I could talk to them. Overall, it was a pretty terrible experience and the last month and a half that I was there, I cried every time I had to go into work. That's how much I dreaded it. The idea of Boys Town is great and I do think there's good work and people there but I think some of the people who work there need to be reminded of their jobs and how they're supposed to do them.  less
Pros
Benefits were great, Overtime pay was nice
Cons
Everything else
November 26, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry that you felt restricted during your time here, as our culture strives to bring work/life balance and professional growth to all our employees. We encourage and welcome our employees to reach out to our Employee Relations Helpline should they ever have any feedback or problems that arise within their work environment. Your comments are appreciated, as was your service with Boys Town as an Assistant Family-Teacher.

Loved it
Intern (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 28, 2018
I loved everything about this job. It can be stressful and emotionally draining at times. Overall, I would recommend this job and company to anyone that has a passion for helping people.
January 2, 2019

Thank you for your review and your passion for giving back to the community. When working with this kind of population, we understand that at times one can be overwhelmed. Should you ever feel this way, we encourage you to reach out to your direct supervisor for help or advice as they will appreciate you being open about how are you are feeling.

Good Place to Work
In Home Family Services Intern (Former Employee) –  OviedoSeptember 29, 2018
Lower pay but great work environment/ community. I really felt that the supervisors cared about us. Meetings typically felt productive. Much of the work can be done independently and work may be completed from home.
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your review! We love to see that you enjoy the community of Boys Town. We do special work here at Boys Town and you can tell that through our amazing employees.

Entry level
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Oviedo, FLAugust 14, 2017
Overall it's a good place to get experience in the psychology/social work field. Program director can be petty and immature when it comes to scheduling. Depending on what kids are there, it can be stressful or not. Keep to yourself and don't expect much of a raise. The job provides excellent benefits, but no room for moving up in the company unless you're willing to relocate. This is a feedback driven environment with potentially a lot of paperwork. If you're one to coddle children, this isn't a job for you. It's beneficial if you're a stern and understanding personality.
Pros
If you want, you can work 4 days with 3 off or 5 days on and 2 off, benefits, will work with your school schedule
Cons
Stressful, low pay, kids can be violent, schedule typically comes out a day or two before the new week starts
Overall, working at Boys Town was very negative.
Assistant Family Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boys Town, NEJune 7, 2018
Apart from the family teaching couple I worked with, I felt very unsupported. This job doesn’t pay enough for the amount of dangerous positions staff are put in and I didn’t feel like my voice was heard. The kids aren’t held accountable and staff isn’t able to intervene when necessary and my consultant was unsupportive and not helpful.
Pros
Paid vacation and paid sick time
Cons
Administration, low pay
June 11, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate our Assistant Family-Teachers and all that they do for the youth here at Boys Town. Please email us at feedback@boystown.org for any suggestions you have on how to improve the experience for our Assistant Family-Teachers.

No support
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 10, 2018
The culture and mission of BT is very good, if your on the main campus in Omaha. We were on separate location where the training and procedures of BT were not followed. Our job was threatened due lack of support onsite
Best place to go.
Horticulture (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 24, 2018
Awesome program to learn a lot of School and job Experience. Peaceful working, but with stressful days of working in the heat. The manager treated us all equality
Pros
free food, 3 breaks, Learning something new.
Cons
The heat.
September 17, 2018

Thank you for your review! We love to see that you grew from your experience with Boys Town in Horticulture. Should you have ideas to improve your experience, please feel free to email us at feedback@boystown.org.

Mission driven
Family Home Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 16, 2018
The people who work in the organization are people who go above and beyond the call of duty serving children and families. The passion to see every youth depart successfully is reflected by their daily devotion each day. Thank You
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Low Pay
Family Teacher
Family Teacher (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 23, 2015
Most challenging, yet most rewarding job ever experienced. Worked with teenagers who had behavioral concerns but had the most positive and supportive experience with administration and upper management. Youth and families are first and the organization truly cares about helping heal families.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and supportive management, great benefits
Cons
Way of life - No free time, competitive but still non-profit pay
Managment
Youth Care Worker III (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 9, 2018
BoysTown - Great place to work for. My only issue was managment not recognizing staff and promoting staff to move up. The communication was poor at times.
Pros
working with the kids
Cons
lack of recognition
June 11, 2018

We are saddened to hear about your experience with leadership at Boys Town. We do would like to discuss your concerns further about communication and leadership,please feel free to contact us at feedback@boystown.org if you are open to discussing your concerns confidentially. Thank you!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys Town. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight