Boys Town Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
This place is amazing
Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boys Town, NEJuly 6, 2018
In my position as a Family Teacher, I worked and lived in the same place so work never stopped. Boys Town management is great about pushing you to take time off and relax. Its just hard to do sometimes. Benefits are great, family life was good, it was just that sometimes the job would pull you from your family. Its a great place to work though and I would consider going back.
Managment
Youth Care Worker III (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 9, 2018
BoysTown - Great place to work for. My only issue was managment not recognizing staff and promoting staff to move up. The communication was poor at times.
Pros
working with the kids
Cons
lack of recognition
June 11, 2018

We are saddened to hear about your experience with leadership at Boys Town. We do would like to discuss your concerns further about communication and leadership,please feel free to contact us at feedback@boystown.org if you are open to discussing your concerns confidentially. Thank you!

Overall, working at Boys Town was very negative.
Assistant Family Teacher (Current Employee) –  Boys Town, NEJune 7, 2018
Apart from the family teaching couple I worked with, I felt very unsupported. This job doesn’t pay enough for the amount of dangerous positions staff are put in and I didn’t feel like my voice was heard. The kids aren’t held accountable and staff isn’t able to intervene when necessary and my consultant was unsupportive and not helpful.
Pros
Paid vacation and paid sick time
Cons
Administration, low pay
June 11, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate our Assistant Family-Teachers and all that they do for the youth here at Boys Town. Please email us at feedback@boystown.org for any suggestions you have on how to improve the experience for our Assistant Family-Teachers.

Quick paced environment with a unique dynamic
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boystown, NEMay 29, 2018
A typical day of work was seeing kids through their daily routine and teaching to moments where they could be making better decisions, or giving praise to moments where they changed behavior. An Assistant Family Teacher teaches social skills, runs errands, tends to specific tasks around the home, and supports the youth through their ups and downs. You work with Family Teachers most of the time, but work alone when covering their days off. The Assistant Family Teachers are expected to complete some overnights. As you can imagine, the youth at Boys Town aren't always thrilled to have new rules or expectations and may act out from time to time. This position helped me in many ways, but it can be taxing at times. A successful person in this role can manage tasks efficiently, and can communicate to kids with firmness and understanding. Holding kids accountable through your time in this role is important. Being able to give and receive feedback appropriately is important as this is woven into all aspects of the job. An assistant must be a team player and take on tasks for the betterment of each home and each child's program. The hardest part of the job is specific to each person's personality as this is a job that requires a lot of one-on-one time with a group of individuals. For some, the difficulty is time management, while for others it's the aspect of teaching to kids within a specific program. While it can be hard, I always found that my Consultant and Family Teachers were supportive and offered solutions. Knowing that you can help these kids reach attainable goals that are  more... specific to their needs is beyond rewarding, and knowing that you have coworkers that are solution focused is reassuring. It challenges you to be a person for others in a very unique way and I'm very thankful for my time in this position.  less
Pros
Continued training, weekly meetings, events and outings with youth
Cons
schedule, stressful interactions with youth
June 11, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review! We take pride in our employees and the impact that they continue to leave on at-risk youth and families.

fun place to work
Garden Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Boystown, NEMay 13, 2018
I liked working for the Garden center at the Boys town learning how to plant seeds and the gardening process. I enjoyed watching the plants grow and working with others in teamwork.
Pros
great place to work.
Cons
only an hour a day
maintance
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 6, 2018
The job for the most part was laid back. Nothing was difficult, just had to do the job and get it done. I enjoyed working with my boss and he was the only other work associate I had.
Pros
pretty much worked on my time, but used it wisely.
Cons
there were really no cons, the job was simple.
No support
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 10, 2018
The culture and mission of BT is very good, if your on the main campus in Omaha. We were on separate location where the training and procedures of BT were not followed. Our job was threatened due lack of support onsite
Mission driven
Family Home Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 16, 2018
The people who work in the organization are people who go above and beyond the call of duty serving children and families. The passion to see every youth depart successfully is reflected by their daily devotion each day. Thank You
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Low Pay
Great company
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 2, 2018
Challenging and fast paced environment. Great leadership and administration. Given the chance to move up the company ladder. Guided supervision and colleague support.
Love the freeback and training opputunities
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Trabuco Canyon, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Company cared for its employees and invested in their training. Many opportunities to advance. Wish they never left California because I would have worked there forever.

Want to know more about Boys Town?

Ask a question
Decent
Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Working with board members was the highlight of the job. They were collaborative, encouraging and most of all inspiring to all- employees, kids, and each other.
Excelent
Head Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  NebraskaJanuary 23, 2018
Love boystown and love the cutlutre. had to leave because of my children and time constraints with the job I was doing. but my hourse were long and I had to work night.
Pros
gt
Cons
gf
Great Job!
Bi-lingual Care Coordinator Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 22, 2018
Great job to work for, everyone truly cares about the vision and mission. Biggest con is under staffed and the work/home life balance can be very shaky week to week.
Everyday was different
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Trabuco Canyon, CAOctober 6, 2017
Worked in the home with foster youth. learned how to manage behaviors and to modify behaviors. The people I worked with made the stressful days not as hard and the clients progress made each day worth it.
Pros
advancement
Cons
life balance
Rewarding Experience
PROGRAM DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, NYSeptember 16, 2017
The job was challenging at time however what this job taught was that through hard work you can accomplish anything. I also felt that this job opportunity prepared my any a variety of other job opportunities in the future.
Great Mission
Foster Family Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 22, 2017
Excellent Company to work for. Most Managment was wonderful. Did not care for my direct supervisor's negativity and lack of accountability. Other than this Boys Town is great and is true to it's mission.
Pros
Did things to boost morale: e.g. employee workout room and free coffee
Cons
Difficult to do the job within the strict 40 hour work week
Putting children and families first
Senior Director of Program Operations (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, RIAugust 20, 2017
Good working environment where most people are there to help children and families be successful. Through behavior modification, it is exciting to see people go through changes that helps make them thrive
Entry level
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Oviedo, FLAugust 14, 2017
Overall it's a good place to get experience in the psychology/social work field. Program director can be petty and immature when it comes to scheduling. Depending on what kids are there, it can be stressful or not. Keep to yourself and don't expect much of a raise. The job provides excellent benefits, but no room for moving up in the company unless you're willing to relocate. This is a feedback driven environment with potentially a lot of paperwork. If you're one to coddle children, this isn't a job for you. It's beneficial if you're a stern and understanding personality.
Pros
If you want, you can work 4 days with 3 off or 5 days on and 2 off, benefits, will work with your school schedule
Cons
Stressful, low pay, kids can be violent, schedule typically comes out a day or two before the new week starts
A Typical Da7
Family Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 2, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of driving to meet with clients, approximately 1-4 in a day. The grant consisted of working with the care givers of children who have been deemed abused or neglected. I would conduct a safety screen upon first meeting the families to ensure their safety. Services consisted of meeting once a week if not more for emergencies, which I was available 24/7. The visits included goals that the famlilies set to help reduce stressors in the home, as well as work on techniques with the care givers to reduce undesired behavior from the children in their home, Notes were taken to document the visits, as well as the progress for each family.
Great Mission, difficult work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 26, 2017
I am only part-time, but I love the BT mission! Helping children is a great way to feel like you make a difference. That said, the work is very emotionally draining and the human services field does not pay well in general.
Pros
Helping youth
Cons
low pay, hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys Town. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight