Brainfuse logo

• Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Work-Life Balance

Your work has a significant impact on so many students/job seekers

Featured review

Brainfuse selected this as a representative review
Brainfuse always has an eye towards the future and ways to improve. There is definitely a collaborative tone to the company and knowing that your voice is being heard is tremendous. At times, there is a lot expected of you, while you're also provided opportunities to take ownership of your responsibilities. Perhaps the most significant positive that you come across frequently is the impact our work has on students of all ages.

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere, ownership of responsibilities, you're helping students/job seekers of all ages

Cons

Streamlining certain tasks would be ideal

A great remote job during a time when no one was hiring, plan on continuing post-covid

I started working here as a tutor a little while after the pandemic started. The interview process is very thorough, they asked for transcripts and had internal assessments to check subject proficiency. After I was accepted to be a tutor, it did take two weeks for me to get onto the schedule. However, I was still able to pick up hours via instant sessions by logging on during peak homework hours (5-8 pm) when I wasn't scheduled. The hardest part of the job is being expected to remember everything within your covered subjects at all times. I remedy this by having textbooks and google on standby for quick referencing.

Pros

Good hours, flexible scheduling

Mostly Positive, But Definite Flaws

I understand some of the frustrations people are talking about with Brainfuse. There have been times when I have been expected to help too many students at once and the pay has some problems. My main complaint is that in the writing lab, you report how long you worked on a paper. That would be fine, except they have set times that you can report that are very short! If you report that you worked more than that, you will lose your writing lab privileges, so I am forced to lie and report less time than I spent on the paper. When I did spend the actual allotted time on the papers, I was hit with client complaints. That being said, I think that the technology works well and clients have been pretty easy going with me. I enjoy helping them and they always seem appreciative. My time with Brainfuse has been mostly positive, but I do not like not being paid for time I am spending on papers.

Pros

flexible, work from home, interaction with students

Cons

pay, expected to help too many students at once

Children are evil. Seriously.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve had fulfilling experiences, but there are enough rude unappreciative students to ruin it. I was “flagged” for being too informal explaining something and have been completely ghosted by the company ever since. You won’t have hours for two months and then bam you have solid work for six weeks. And if you miss a second of work or have something unexpected come up there is no sympathy. You are replaceable.

Pros

It’s online

Cons

Impersonal, rude students, low pay, inconvenient hours

Pros/Cons

This is one of the few online tutoring positions you can work as a live tutor and still maintain privacy if preferred (no video chat). While scheduling in fairly flexible and there are wide variety of subjects you can tutor in, the biggest downfall for Brainfuse is the # of students you may get at any time. I have found myself managing 4-6 students at once and then receive negative feedback stating I took to long to respond despite replying in under 2 minutes.

Pros

flexible

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Had to pick up other employees' slack

You would be asked to do much more than you were hired on to do, had to pick up other employees' slack, no accountability, and tough hours. There were no opportunities to get promoted which might be why everyone had an inflated title. Small company mentality, low pay, and poor leadership.

Management is UNFAIR to tutors

Management is UNFAIR to tutors. Pressure and stress tend to be felt. The company is all about the money and very profit driven, which is proven by how much they don't care about their teachers staying. I regret joining this company, it is a total waste of time. I really felt like a real slave working for them.

Pros

You get to work anywhere.

Clearly does not care about tutors or students

I worked as a tutor for Brainfuse for a few years but ultimately had to leave for my own sanity. There are some good things of course; being able to work from home and help students was my biggest motivation for working here. I did build some very rewarding relationships with my students because I actually cared and put in a lot of work to teach and tutor them. The company, however, clearly does not care about anything but money. Tutors are expected to work with multiple students at a time, are paid the same whether they are working with 1 student or 5 students, are expected to respond to each student instantly, are not allowed to reveal that they are working with other students, and of course are still expected to actually help the students. Unless you happen to be a robot, this is simply impossible especially when you are teaching complex subjects and working with multiple students on different types of topics/assignments that require careful thought and explanation. Students are left waiting, become impatient, and most importantly they are not receiving the level of one-on-one help they need, which results in angry students who take out their frustration on YOU (the tutor) and leave you bad reviews. This has always been a problem but became much worse post-Covid as more students were learning from home and student volume increased significantly. There is also nearly zero communication between you and the company, they will change your hours or remove you from the schedule without notice, and very rarely do they reply to emails or requests as there is no direct point of contact -

Pros

remote, flexibility, helping students

Cons

stressful, unfair pay for workload, no communication with company, no stability

Easy supplemental income

I have been working as a writing tutor at Brainfuse for a while now. You pick up as much or as little work as you want, so the flexibility is nice. However, the only guidance you get from them is you mess up or a student complains about you. Students can complain about anything they want without backing it up and will be believed. The pay is misleading, as you don't truly make $12 an hour.

Pros

Flexibility, easy, remote

Cons

Low pay, student complaints

Everything was a joke there

This company was an absolute joke, and I would not recommend anyone applying to work there. Company structure was a joke and unrealistic. They would lie to you in the interview process to get you working for them, but once you're hired you would realize that it was all a lie. They would never honor any of their promises.

Jobs at Brainfuse

See more jobs

It takes forever

The job is entirely remote, so if there's anything you need to complain about or even a simple question or raise a concern, There's no directly talk to. You will have to wait for then to reply to your email and that takes forever.

Pros

It's good to have something just right there and comes up when you need it.

Tutoring for over a year provides a great secondary income source

I’ve been tutoring with Brainfuse for just over a year. I’ve been able to work the hours that I’m free and there are always opportunities to pick up additional hours. Also, once I was approved for the writing lab, I was able to work on student submissions as they came up as well. For me the pay has been great between the scheduled hours, the non-scheduled hours and writing lab tasks. When I was having issues with my computer and their software, the support team was so helpful in helping me resolve that.

Pros

You only work when you are available, multiple ways to make money

Was great when I started, now not as much....

Brainfuse offers you to tutor from home and set your schedule. Great perks. However, what started as supplemental income, has turned into a part-time job. Again great perk. But, here is the rub. After almost 5 years with the company, there has been no compensation, no pay raise. Sometimes, I am working with up to 5 or 6 clients at a time, only receiving the base pay, instead of a pay-per-student should that happen. It is very overwhelming. Management only sends notices if clients report against you and you do not receive any feedback from the company. Must be because everyone is a contracted employee, so each person is expendable.

Pros

Work from home, set schedule

Cons

Base pay, no raise, too many clients at once

Working at Brainfuse allows for flexibility, freedom

Verified Employee

My typical work day involves assisting students remotely on writing assignments and essays. The hardest part of the job is juggling two or more sessions at once, although this has made me a better multitasker. The best part is being able to make my own schedule and work from home.

Rewarding and meaningful work

Verified Employee

I really appreciate the opportunities Brainfuse has provided. Particularly over the past few years, the management and administration has offered positive as well as constructive feedback, and the ability to work with a diverse group of students and education levels is very rewarding. I generally have no problem contacting administration when I need to, which is rare.

Happy, fair and supplemental income employment

Verified Employee

I love working for Brainfuse! This is a supplemental income job for me that I am able to do from home and on my schedule. I am always compensated fairly for my time, receive positive feedback consistently and even bonuses! This is a great place to work as supplemental income. For me, it sure beats waitressing!

Flexibility while helping students

Verified Employee

Management is helpful and responsive. It is a job that offers good pay, flexibility and consistent work while helping students. The position of tutor is inherently rewarding.

Tutor

Verified Employee

Flexible hours. Great software to use. Keeps me up on all the teaching methods other teachers use. It can be challenging getting the information needed to help the students at times. Whiteboard doesn't work on mobile app.

Good side work

Verified Employee

I like working for Brainfuse because it is flexible work that I can do anywhere, anytime. I am learning how to be stronger and more effective writing teacher and feel I've grown since I started working for them two years ago.

Like expected.

Verified Employee

Working for Brainfuse has been much the experience I expected. While the job lacks a clear system of review, which limits an employee's ability to gauge their own performance, recent events and contact with management have demonstrated (over a year after beginning working in the company) an appreciation for my contribution. The flexibility and challenging quality of the work outweigh the impersonal nature of working for Brainfuse, which is likely common in remote work of this kind.

Flexible part-time job great for those who want remote work and have the motivation to work independently

Verified Employee

As on online writing tutor the work is very independent. The work scheduling is completely up to you and when you want to work, but it can get more competitive for assignments during times when school is not in session. While this job is not enough to make a living, it is great for someone who enjoys reading and writing, and would like to have a flexible supplemental income. The best part of the job is being able to read the writing of different people on many different topics. The hardest part of the job is maintaining motivation to keep working when there is infrequent or no feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brainfuse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8