Brainfuse
2.7

Brainfuse Employee Reviews

United States78 reviews
Horrible Communication
I made a small mistake by forgetting to upload a document for a few students. I received an email the following morning letting me know of my mistake and I quickly logged on to upload the missing documents. I sent an email back stating certain problems I ran into and no one answered me but, I ended up figuring it out on my own. Hours later, I realized that I had actually uploaded the documents and management was either lazy or had wrongly accused me of something I did not do. They cut off my access and have not returned it to me. It has been numerous days with no response. It is a bit frustrating because as a somewhat professional company, I expect there to be prompt communication but, that is something Brainfuse does not posses.
Long hours, low pay
The pay is low while the work hours are very long. This makes the work atmosphere very stressful and draining. Also, some of the managers are abusive and condescending
Flexibility
The company expects all projects to be 35 minutes or less. How in a whole bunches of bananas and green beans can a person edit a 10-page paper, not including references and formatting in 35 minutes or less???

It is a disservice to the client and tutor. Shameful!
No Comment
No comment on this company at all. I did not have any supervision nor I ever heard from a manager. THey just cut your access whenever they want. Don't work here.
Give More and Get Less
You'll be expected to give more and more of your time to the company. You know the low pay you are going to get when you sign up for the job. There was also minimal communication from the management. Overall, you're made to feel like a worthless robot.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Not worth the hassle
The pay rate is extremely low compared to how much work you have to put in. It does not matter if you have 4 students at a time vs 1 student. You get paid the same low rate no matter what. Students expect you to do the work for them. Overall, the job is just not worth it.
Flexibility I needed
I needed a fully remote job, and this fit the bill. If there are lots of students you will get scheduled hours. However, you will make the same money whether you tutor one student or 4 students. And the company strongly emphasizes responding to clients within 30 seconds. So, sometimes I feel like the plate spinner at the carnival. It is stressful. Also, so many students come unprepared. I think maybe the company needs to tell clients exactly what the tutor's role is.
Pros
Remote
Cons
Stressful, low pay for lots of work
Uneven working style
Some managers give a lot of value to quality which I appreciate, and some don't care about quality at all. It creates a lot of internal problems. Also, the pay is not good. Only work here if you want a second source of income or a small amount when you look for a better job elsewhere.
Only if you are desperate
I have paid a lot of desperate bills with brainfuse, but all the verbal abuse I’ve taken at the hands of the students without an ounce of support from management hardly makes it worth it. Do better, brainfuse.
Complete Freedom With Scheduling
I love working here. There are plenty of resources available for tutors to use to ensure that all rules are followed when working with students. The time allowed to complete tasks is fair, as any graduate level employee should be able to know the subject matter thoroughly. There is help readily available if there are any questions. I've always been assisted promptly and never had an issue that went unresolved. Also, there is room for advancement. Good work is compensated and rewarded. There are also opportunities for promotions based on overall perfomance. I love this company and have been with them for almost two years. Best decision I made.
Pros
Pay, Support, Flexibility
Great for Family Balance
I've been a writing tutor with Brainfuse since 2017. I mostly review papers in the Writing Lab. I love that I can work remotely. The flexibility to work whenever it fits into my family's schedule is also a huge plus. It used to be tough to get essays, but they made an update that makes it WAY easier to have regular essays to review. The papers are fun to read as the topics vary. I love that I'm helping students with their thesis work or helping students develop basic skills.
Tutoring opportunities
If you like working on your own schedule with little to no support, this is the work for you! They pay okay for the work you do. Be prepared for clients to complain with no support from management in how to improve. Be good at this right away or don't bother.
Flexible hours, management is good, job has very little purpose
Brainfuse is a machine-like company. It does not run as much on quality (although this is important to some managers and there are quality checks), as much as quantity. Tutors do not seem wholly satisfied with their job. The pay is subpar. Overall, it is a meh company to work for.
Good second job for fun money
I typically put in 3 to 4 hours in the evening (adjunct instructor) depending on my schedule. On days when I'm not working at the college, I can log and wait for students on-demand (not a scheduled shift). I like the fact that I can "work at any time", depending on student traffic -- which is low before 3 pm because students are still in school.

There's very little training here, but that's expected as a contractor position. Still, I wish they had things like informational videos on how to use their platform, a better mobile app that has useful features for tutors (perhaps a "there's currently a high demand for chemistry tutors" notification), and more positive feedback. Students always thank me for my help but I don't see it reflected on my account.
Pros
Great work/life balance, good hours during the semester
Cons
Hours are not guaranteed, should offer bonuses based on positive student feedback
Excellent way to work
I appreciate the flexibility of tutoring from home. It can be hectic but you are in charge of your hours. The online classroom is easy to figure out and that’s how you tutor — usually chatting and driving based on the subject.
exceptionally qualified
Let me inform you that if you are degreed and credentialed, they will not hire you. They will ask for everything from you upfront including your social security number (do not provide that) yet they explain nothing back to you in regards to the decision they place on you to not continue consideration of your application as a ... tutor. Please do not work for them. Do not trouble yourself the concentration of applying well. There is no point to apply if you are degreed and credentialed unless you want to be insulted.
Low pay and unappreciative students
Brainfuse is not a great company to work with. Pay is low and not what they promised on their ads. The students are unappreciative and will report you for doing either a) doing "too much" or b) doing "too little." The only time you'll hear from management is when you've made a mistake. My suggestion? Find another tutoring company to work for. Brainfuse isn't worth it.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay, little interaction
Zero interaction with the company unless I screw up
There is almost zero interaction with any management at my job. I don't "need" supervision, but no one ever checks to see if we have concerns or complaints. If I have a question about the job or forward concerns that I feel need to be remedied (which I've done on more than one occasion), no one ever responds. I DID get a "no" response when I asked for a raise because I wasn't eligible after six months (it's a one-year minimum before a raise kicks in). I have no idea how much they'll give me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was insulting. What's also frustrating is that the only time I ever hear from the company is if I screw up - that sucks, but they haven't canned me yet.
Also: "$13.00" per hour isn't really how it works. You get paid to tutor a student's work and you're only allowed a certain number of minutes to do it (and they prescribe different increments of time). However, to properly tutor some students, you have to exceed what you're authorized by Brainfuse to charge. This means that sometimes I'll spend 25 minutes on a task that is prescribed to only take 20, but if I stop working at 20 and turn in a 90% completed task, I get a complaint from the student/client...thus I spend 5 minutes working for free. The time limits Brainfuse sets for their tutors to work is ridiculously mismatched for the combination of the initial administrative duties required after accepting a task, addressing all of the required comments, and (oh yeah) the ACTUAL tutoring that we need to do for the students. In addition, some client colleges have special instructions about how
 - more...
A fully remote job where you can work only when you want to.
*There is no typical day. You choose the work you want to do for the day. You can do as much as is available or nothing.
*I have learned more about the common problems people have with writing.

*I have little or no contact with them, so I cannot make an opinion.

*Since it is fully remote, we do not know co-workers.

*The hardest part is between semesters when there is not a lot of work.

*The job is simply doing the same thing- reviewing essays, but sometimes there are some really interesting ones.
Non supportive company
I was initially very excited working with this company to be able to work from home. I applied as a history tutor and got assigned different subjects because of proficiency. You did get paid but the rate is different between waiting and tutoring if you are on call. However, communication with them is almost non existent. They take days and sometimes weeks to respond to a concern or question. When they do reply you receive a terse, curt response that is borderline rude. There are no helpful documents or resources to follow other than the on boarding fact sheets you receive. They schedule you hours to be on call if you're lucky and take them away just as fast due to low student traffic. You can get multiple students requesting help at once but you don't get paid extra and aren't supposed to say you have other students waiting. It's a good way to supplement your income but if you're dependent on it they are anything but reliable. I was shocked at the unprofessional responses and lack of support they have for their tutors. All in all very disappointed. I agree that it does cheapen our education and expertise.
Not a great of a place
Got this job because I need to support my small family while my husband goes to school. Thought this was going to be a perfect job opportunity... except for the fact that there isn't ANY work! My task inbox is ALWAYS empty, and that's not good for the sole breadwinner. So I suggest not doing this.