Happiness rating is 55 out of 100

Brainfuse Employee Reviews

United States142 reviews

tutoressaystudentwritingsubjectpaperfeedbackonline

Your work has a significant impact on so many students/job seekers

Featured review

Brainfuse selected this as a representative review
Brainfuse always has an eye towards the future and ways to improve. There is definitely a collaborative tone to the company and knowing that your voice is being heard is tremendous. At times, there is a lot expected of you, while you're also provided opportunities to take ownership of your responsibilities. Perhaps the most significant positive that you come across frequently is the impact our work has on students of all ages.

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere, ownership of responsibilities, you're helping students/job seekers of all ages

Cons

Streamlining certain tasks would be ideal

Solid part-time remote work

The work is steady for 9 months out of the year and is a good option for supplemental income. Procedures are straightforward and getting started was easy.

Brainfuse insights

• Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Minimum Wage Work From Home Job

If you really need a job and have a skill to tutor others but accept low compensation; helps pay the bills and you make your own schedule around available time slots. Overall worth it for experience, but no promotions or feedback on your performance.

Meh

Work is typically like this: you're thrown into a pool of piranhas and they eat you alive, mentally. Brainfuse has done a bit better at managing this over the spring semester, I've noticed fewer students daily compared to when pandemic started which is good but at the same time there are no clear cut guidelines. We're not allowed to be human without fearing our job security as stated in one of the previous reviews. I believe I also worked with that same student that was venting and tried my hardest to redirect them to someone that is "qualified" for this as I didn't believe it was appropriate for me to get personal with the student. Shame on this company for shaming a tutor for being a human with a heart and letting the student vent their frustrations. I get that it's not appropriate for work but how will the student ever learn if they don't know where to go to voice their problems?

Pros

Time flexibility

Cons

no support

Well, I was fired...

I started reviewing papers and then began online live tutoring. I enjoyed both, but I was really only making about $8 an hour reviewing papers because it could take me an hour to do one essay review. I was fired from online tutoring because they said I was "personal" with a student. All I did was let the student vent about their personal life. It's too bad because I loved tutoring online and I was good at it--I had many positive reviews. Also, after I couldn't tutor online anymore, I didn't get anymore essays to review. The weird thing is I was never trained and never had a supervisor. There was no one to go to with questions, etc.

Pros

I learned a lot reviewing student essays

Cons

No training or supervisor

Side gig only and barely that

Barely any work and you have to compete for jobs regularly and you will most likely lose. No direction on what they really want and everyone is unsatisfied at the end of it. Plus, the pay for one thing is maxed out at 30 minutes when people submit long bodies of work.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Compensation, work

Super flexible, low pay

As a writing tutor at BrainFuse, I had a very flexible schedule and could pick my own hours. However, the pay was very minimal and you have no contact with your higher ups.

Flexible but not supportive and lacking workable hours and compensation

Do not work with Brainfuse if you can help it. It was nice being able to teach students about topics I am both interested and degreed in but Brainfuse is strictly interested in student satisfaction and not with you actually teaching them. If you get a student who pushes for you to just do their homework for them ultimately Brainfuse will support the student, not you and will reduce or eliminate your workable hours punitively. The pay is already ridiculously low if you do the daily shift work and if they want to punish you, they will take you off and as an independent contractor you will not connect with a single student and thus won’t be paid. Management does not exist so don’t bother trying to call or contact any department as they are all remote and online. This is a place to temporarily make a few extra dollars. It lacks longevity, growth and just overall respect for their workers. A huge warning to stay AWAY from them.

Pros

Flexibility. Subject matter

Cons

No management. No support. Little compensation. Rude or lazy students and clientele.

Great place to work.

I enjoy every aspect of my job. Brainfuse is a good place to work. I learn different things each day. Anytime I receive feedback, I always look at the feedback as a learning and teaching moment. I Look to improve on any weaker areas.

Pros

everything

Cons

none to my knowledge.

It is what it says

Good if you need some extra money. Also good if you want to work from home and on your own schedule. Work is limited though depending on the time of year.

Literally go weeks/months without work

I used to love being a tutor at Brainfuse! I loved the flexibility and amount of work coming in. No set hours so I could edit student work at literally any time day or night. It was great! But the work has literally dropped off a cliff. It’s to be expected work slows down during non-school months and Xmas break, but this is unbelievable. It’s never been this scarce before. I’m currently unemployed rn so I was relying on this company to get me through. I check the site constantly (tens of times PER HOUR) and nothing is coming in. Idk what happened but I can’t even say I work here because I haven’t been able to work! Terrible pay (~$6 per paper) and no management. That’s good and bad. When you do get through to Admin they can be helpful, but the last time I reached out I straight up did not get a response. No room to advance either. Ugh

Pros

Easy work (if you enjoy editing papers)

Cons

No benefits, contract work, little pay, literally no papers coming in =no money

Extra money

This is a good gig for extra money but can’t be relied on for nice pay. Sometimes there isn’t anything to review or no one to tutor unless you have a complete open availability.

Not a good company to work for

At first when I started with this company all was well, then students became meaner and impatient you can get up to 6 students at a time during a session, also last November they completely took me off my schedule and I have sent countless of emails asking when I will be scheduled again I have not gotten one response back please beware of this company not worth your time or pay

Brainfuse

This is a good opportunity for working from home and making your own hours. You can review a wide variety of student work at different levels, such as high school and college levels.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Low pay

Lack of respect for employee is quite disappointing.

Brainfuse probably has a lot of tutors, which could explain how little regard they have for tutors. E-mails are ignored, and admin just contacts tutors if there is an issue.

Pros

No pros, unfortunately. Minimum wage and minimal satisfaction.

Cons

inexistent growth, lack of management, disrespectful, cheap

Nonexistent management

I'm glad I had the experience of what it's like to be a "virtual" tutor for Brainfuse. The tutors are left on their own. There is not support for tutors when any kind of issues arises. Sometimes you will be tutoring up to 6 people at time which is not practical at all. Some students can be ignorant and feel a sense of entitlement while others are fantastic and truly want to be helped. Pay is every other Friday. The people who respond to emails can be condescending, I doubt they ever interacted with individuals beyond a monitor.Overall I would not be a brainfuse tutor! It is not worth the investment of time and effort. I rather babysit kiddos for family or friends instead of dealing with horrible management and ignorant kids to try to help.

Pros

Nada

Cons

Horrible management No support Questionable email correspondence Self entitled students

I love tutoring and helping students succeed. However,...

I love tutoring and helping students succeed. However, Brainfuse does not care about their tutors. Many of the students want you to do their work and give them the answers. This is against policy. However, if you stick with policy the student gets rate you. They can rate you unfairly, because they do not want to do the work. Brainfuse does not look at any of the reviews (good or bad) that you get from a student and they do not go over and help you learn what you did right or wrong. If you get a bad rating from a student you are sent an email what the student had an issue with (sometimes). Other than that the student might not give a reason and just say you were not helpful because you did not do the work for them. There are some good students and I have some that really need the help and I enjoy seeing them and working with them, however, those are too few and far between. There is no support from the company. The tutors that work on brainfuse want to help the students, but it is demoralizing when the company does not care about tutors as they can easily replace you if they wanted. A downside to tutoring students is that you only get an hour and a half from any student. Once that 90 minutes is up the student gets kicked. From my experience that student needs that assistance and then that student can get upset and rate you poorly by that. Only bright side is that there are students who want to learn (not many), direct deposit, and can make my own schedule monthly.

Pros

Direct deposit and flexible scheduling

Cons

No support from anyone on Brainfuse, No opportunity to improve as a tutor as there's no one to support you.

Meh

It was alright not very consistent. I recommend it if you need some extra cash. If not I would avoid this place. Helping people is the best part of this job.

Brainfuse

It is great to work there because I can work with students of various ages and work with them on different topics. I like being able to chat back and forth with someone and it makes it pleasing to work with Brainfuse.

Flexible job with some limitations

Being able to review papers whenever you want makes the job good when you need some extra work not on a schedule. However, the time given for each review is too short, and the pay could be improved.

Great Job for remote work/but can be stressful

Has great pay but difficult to tutor through chat to help them learn. I learned alot from many different levels and subjects. You have to tutor 4 people at a time which can be stressful sometimes because some students can be demanding and put you on a time limit. There really is no management but you have to keep up with the schedule you agreed to.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

Not enough materials for successful tutoring experience

Common questions about Brainfuse

Answered by current and former employees at Brainfuse

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brainfuse. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Brainfuse with

Learn about Brainfuse in popular locations

• Brainfuse