Brandeis University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
grad student
grad student (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 26, 2018
Went to Brandeis as a grad student. Your experience is going to depend highly on your program and advisor.

Overall, very close knit departments and non-competitive environment. Good place to go to school.
Lack of research support
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 11, 2018
Very clique-y research faculty. Full-time faculty being replaced by adjuncts. If you are in a good lab/job, you may not notice outside offices. Nice campus.
Fun happy place
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 9, 2018
Good place to work, great people, very fair and open armed. He aim of Brandeis university is justice, and this comes through clearly. People who work there come from all over the world which is an extra bonus.
Productive and friendly
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 19, 2018
Researchers were very friendly and understanding. Never felt any overwhelming pressure. If I needed more time, it was usually not a problem (Though I was a full-time student as well). Overall pleasant experience. Accomplished a lot of interesting work!
Good place to start your career
Manager & Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 10, 2018
Worked as a manager at a research lab on campus. Was required to work on a number of different types of jobs, but job satisfaction was high. Not great benefits, but worked out.
High-paced Working Environment
Teaching Assistant & Course Head (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 28, 2018
I have been teaching and studying at Brandeis University at the same time. It is really a process of cultivation because I have learnt how to work and study efficiently at the same time. I know teaching is not only a career, but also a life-long pursuit.
a fun place to work
Catering Chef (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 23, 2018
this was a fun place to work with great people. I learned alot in my short time there and will keep this experience with me always. I can"t say enough good words about the University.
rvw
Licensing Associate (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 8, 2018
it is a nice place to work.nice place to work it is. it was super nice working here. i cant wait to work here more. thank you for letting me work here.
Baseball
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 27, 2018
I went to Brandeis and then started to coach after I had graduated. I was honored for the opportunity and was very excited for my role as the top assistant coach.
Pros
Baseball
Cons
Long days and a lot of travel
Good people in the departments to work with.
Electronic Engineer, Division of Science (Former Employee) –  415 South St. Waltham, MAJanuary 15, 2018
People in the departments are good to work with. Pay is good.University management is okay but HR sucks.
Overall the day to day work is fine. Good benefits though.
Awesome research experience
Research Assistant and Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 30, 2017
Brandeis University does a great job of making research opportunities accessible to undergraduate students. We are allowed and encouraged to engage in high caliber research and are afforded opportunities that students at larger research institutes may not be able to access. I was even authored on a publication as an undergraduate!
Pros
great access to cool research, inclusive environment
Cons
stressful
great place to learn science
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 23, 2017
Brandeis was a great place to learn skills associated with research design, execution, and data analysis. I had the opportunity to work in multiple labs, cut my teeth with department data presentations, and collaborate with great scientists
Productive, fast paced, and collaborative while working independently
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 20, 2017
Though the Brandeis student body presents a rather diverse group of people, in some ways, they are of like mind. The staff here does a very good job at meeting the needs of the students while supporting one another in the positions that they are in. Good place to work along with friendly people.
Brandeis is an excellent place for a postdoc
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MA 02451December 13, 2017
I loved every minute that I was a postdoc at Brandeis. My PI was fantastic, and allowed me to investigate avenues of research that were interesting and rewarding. There are plenty of opportunities to work with others, and you are encouraged to make collaborations wherever possible. The science is top notch, as two researchers received Nobel Prizes this year.
Pros
great talks, great science
Cons
postdocs are intended to be temporary, but can linger
Intensive but fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 26, 2017
Students are friendly and easy-going, the advisor helps a lot. Just the working load is very heavy. This is part of the practicum of graduate study, so it's ok to work for a relatively long time
Your Typical Teaching Assistant Job
Teaching Assistant - For Operating Systems (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 19, 2017
A Teaching Assistant position is a part-time job where you are expected to hold 2 one-hour sessions throughout the week in order to help students in the class with either homework or questions concerning the concepts taught.

The nature of being a TA is as follows: when there is nothing immediately due in class, your hour is basically free, and you get to do as you wish, though there will be the occasional diligent student that comes to you to get a head start. As the deadlines come closer and closer, more and more students will come to your hours in order to get assistance. Thus, your workload varies from nothing at all to being absolutely packed.

Then there's grading assignments--which, when there are over 130 students enrolled, means that it will take a while, especially when you're having to read through their code to see what went wrong, if anything. When quiz grading comes around, your afternoon is dedicated to that, and nothing else. If I had to give an estimate of hours on this job, you get as few as 2 and as many as 20.

The professor for the class depended on us, for the most part, to do our jobs as we saw fit. We went to her for guidance, and she set the rules for how we were to operate, but in the end, how we were to provide our assistance was up to us. Interacting with other students keeps the atmosphere rather casual and relaxed, unless there is a deadline looming over the student's head.

I learned how to keep a working knowledge of a few key concepts pertaining to the topics being taught in class and how to clearly and effectively answer others that
  more... ask for help. I enjoyed being able to help others and guide them to the right result, but I did not like the many hours spent in a row grading quizzes and the amount of time it took to grade programming assignments. Overall, it was the typical Teaching Assistant experience.  less
Good Working environment
Sr. Dept. Associate/Colloquium Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 6, 2017
It was a good working environment for most part. Last two years I was there is was a bit stressful. When it became the Division of Science. Then after 23 years they eliminated my job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful
College Daycare Center.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 24, 2017
would come in at noon and work very fast.
Long distance to travel to work.
College Students as teachers, some unfriendly
worked very little hours.
Jewish College, not the Daycare Center.
Paid fairly.
Low in Staff with up to 13 Children a day.
Friendly families.
Pros
wonderful children.
Cons
short breaks, unfriendly staff.
Great to work with students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 15, 2017
Brandies University proved to be a very unorganized workplace. My mentoring professor was amazing but the other professors were in their own worlds.It took a long time to get paid. Those are the technical details. The actual teaching of students was amazing! Being able to answer my peer's questions and help guide them through a difficult language was extremely satisfying. It helped me realize I want to work directly with with people.
Sexist and Racist Workplace
Head Coordinator of Events and Services (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 12, 2017
My boss in the department of public safety at Brandeis University was dismissive of my thoughts and opinions in staff meetings. When speaking of things directly related to my position he spoke to the white males in the room instead of me. He asked my white male colleagues to keep an eye on me because he wasn't sure I could do my job. I was the only female and POC on the team at the time - worst job experience I've ever had.
Pros
ability to work remotely