BRC Employee Reviews

pay increase
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 4, 2018
great job. staff should get a pay increase every time they reach their anniversary.a new staff should not come on board making the same amount of someone who been there for years
Hard work is the key
Building Maintenance Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2018
A typical day was completing work orders on a daily bases.
I learned how to troubleshoot different problems, issues, and to address the concerns of the residents living there.
Management was great and very involved in making the job enjoyable and a great place to intern at.
The work culture was very positive and productive as I learned to address and deal with many different people.
The hardest part was not having the required materials needed to complete a task.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning many new things, and taking on difficult challenges that expanded my mind, my learning and allowed me to put my educational training to use.
Pros
New challenges
Cons
Was not a full-time position it was an internship
Big company
MAINTENANCE INTERN (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
I assist the maintenance department with cleaning the facility in all area. I assist with the trash daily. I clean floors and windows as need as well as operating machinery as needed.
Pros
I get to learn a new position
Cons
It was temporairly
cook
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
I did my intern at this location, I had to prepare meats, vegetable also season products for chef. I had to make sure we were ready to feed 200 plus people.
Nothing to say
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  119 streetJune 14, 2018
Nothing to say good place to work good benefit they are willing to work with your schedule they are all about the clients and they hire within you have to like your job
Good to gain work experience keeps you focused
KITCHEN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
typical work day includes cleaning and porter work. supervisor definitely provides high level supervision. employees must make sure they are cleaning areas they are assigned. if you work well you could possibly be asked to work extra shifts. The hardest part of the job is assuring the food is properly prepared according to guidelines.
Pros
You learn from your experiences
Cons
The food prep.
BRC have its days, however its great for people that want to work in the mental fill.
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2018
I've learn you may have days you can help some clients and there are days some clients do not want to be help. I feel that you can choose your battle with some clients. I feel the management team are great as far helping them with housing, placing them in the right facility that meet their needs, and also helping them reunited with family members.
Pros
Moving up and getting new position.
Cons
Health benefits
BRC is a Great Place to work
Assessment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
BRC is an excellent place to work and it promotes educational and career growth. I would recommend BRC as a place for anyone to work their way up and advance in their education. The management i worked for was very supportive and flexible.
As a DCW I took great care of my patients keep up to date with ADLs bathing charts exc. I enjoyed my employment at BRC.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Magee, MSApril 27, 2018
My review of things Bosswel is a great place to work. It' helps you with social skills being all around each other. I advise many people to put in a application and would love to read upon some of their reviews about Bosswel regional center.
Pros
Interacting with clients
Cons
Short breaks.
Productive work place
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  new yorkApril 18, 2018
BRC is an excellent company to be apart of. I've worked at 3 different sites and I would recommend them all. They hire with in so its easy to move up. My only issue with BRC is their health plan benefits are too expensive. its not ideally affordable for someone at entry level with a family.
nice place to work if your a teen or retired worker
Backroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIMarch 25, 2018
Very nice place to work at. I worked int he backroom where we had to stock everything by a certain time so that when the next truck load would come we would have a place to to place it. So it was a relaxed place yet it was fast paced it that makes any sense. The management was really cool and laid back as long as you got your work done. The hardest part of the job was when Christmas time would be here and you got a over 100 boxes you would have to get opened and scanned, hung and put away EVERY DAY for like a week straight.
Pros
all the employees were good workers, breaks were an hour, and you got a good discount at the store for being an employee
Cons
the work flow during holiday season were stressful
N/a
Independent Living Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2018
The experience was good. Dealing with the clients- it's never a dull day. My direct supervisor was very nice and was willing to help. The workplace is a fast paste environment.
Generally a great place to work, very friendly co workers
Temporary Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 6, 2018
Very enjoyable place of business. Co workers are very welcoming and friendly throughout every day, Very clean and professional business. The workload is not much but you will always be busy at this job. There is always something to do and learn. Management is welcoming with new staff and residents to help provide better help they may need. Learned working with mental health illnesses, substance abuse and physical disabilities.
Pros
overtime, great working relationship
Cons
Not enough of work hours
productive workplace
Porter Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2018
what I learned about brc is that hard work pays off but you have to be loyal and consistent and reliable the culture is magnificent they shelter the homeless and provide places for them permanently.the hardest part of the job is leaving the most enjoyable part of the job is arriving....
typical day at a homeless shelter....
Homeless Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
my job there was to make sure everything goes according to protocol. I would take the clients to breakfast in the morning and bring them back to their rooms. i would assist the nurses when it came to dispense medication. i also made sure each client was up to date with his ADL's and public assistance.
Pros
one on one contact with clients
Cons
no job security
Productive work place
Outreach Specialist/ Transit Outreach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2018
The kind of work I did at Bowery residence Committee as a Transit outreach specialist was the kind of work that interested me day in and day out. My responsibilities in the field when engaging with clients are positive and life changing. Being a difference-maker and helping to enhance the quality of life for individuals who's lives have taken a significant down spiral, and me being in a position where I can help those individuals reach a breakthrough and become independent or self sufficient once again... is priceless. The social services field is truly rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding, gain a lot of experience/knowledge, learn to work with different personalities
Cons
easy to get burnt out without having in place techniques or stragies to help with coping.
great place to be an entern
Maintenance Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I had a great experience working at the bowery the staff and working conditions are great would have loved to been full-time not in New York at this time
Pros
job security
Cons
work at your own paste
Productive workplace
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2018
A typical day at work is helping the clients daily with anything that they will need to further them in the shelter system or helping them with everyday needs such as assistance or supplies.
Great place to start...Bad place to evolve
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousJanuary 20, 2018
BRC is a great place and company to start your shelter experience. The pay is competitive with BRC entry level positions paying more than other shelters. The experience is great and depending on your location, you can either love or hate your job. Unfortunately, there is much room for growth. Most employees apply for positions and typically get denied more often than they should. Employees tend to get stuck in the same position at their site and are forced to apply out of their site or out of the company.

The actual job is what you make it. If you like to help the homeless then you'll love it. If you just show up for a check then you may hate your job.

I would highly recommend working at BRC without a doubt. Unfortunately, you may not be able to make too much of a career without a degree.
Great environment to work at plus a great place grow
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2018
With this job I have learned a great deal of patience. On a typical day I would call each client that I have to schedule a visit either for that day or another. I would go to each clients apartment and conduct an apartment inspection to see what can be fixed or repaired and in addition see how each client is living and assist them with their ADL ( Activities of daily Living) skills. Some days I would assist client with going to the Social Security Office or shopping. This company and the position I held there gave me knowledge of the homeless population and the stages of recover that these guys go through. It taught me Harm reduction and compassion. It gave me strength to want to get up and work as closely to these guys as I can. It is difficult but understanding. The coworkers are extremely helpful and shows a lot of love. They are very knowledgeable. The hardest part of my job is knowing that one of your clients had passed away. The most enjoyable would be clocking into work knowing your getting paid to help a person life that much better, even if its just with a hello.
Pros
Great benefits and free party cruise once a year
Cons
Can feel over worked based on the position and lack of pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BRC. Our community is ready to answer.