BRC Pay & Benefits reviews

Great agency to work
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 16, 2019
Plenty of room for growth. Love that BRC is big on promoting from within. A number of positions and BRC is constantly growing which gives staff the opportunity to move around and gain experience from different programs.
Pros
Big on promoting from within
Cons
They dont give good raises
its a really good company i have ever been to
Mental Health Technician Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2019
they are very helpful as a mentoring also they care about people if they dont understand well overall i really liked it they good care of mental peope
Pros
they have free food
Cons
they good care g mental people
BRC is a great organization
Housing Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 24, 2018
I enjoyed my work with BRC I was there for over 2 years and left for a better opportunity. I would work with them again.
The work load is flexible and the experience is diverse.
Pros
Flexible, good pay, accessible to transportation.
Cons
Stressful work enviroment lack of growth opportunities
You had to be on your toes while working at BRC
Maintenance/ Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
I was pass up for a position by my supervisor after I was promise the position. so I ended up Living the job at BRC. I resign with no hard feeling. And I end up finding a new Job. But I learn a lot at BRC while I was there. And My Co.workers were very helpful and friendly while I was there.
Pros
Able too use the laundry Machines to wash our uniforms.
Cons
long Breaks.One Hour.
Unprofessional at times
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousSeptember 19, 2018
It could be a enjoyable and rewarding experience if everyone came to work with the intention of doing their jobs, enjoying themselves, and going home. However, it's apparent that many people here don't know a life without negativity and dysfunction, and so they MUST find a way to incorporate that into their daily work routine, even if it's to the detriment of the morale in the workplace. There seems to be an us-against-them clique mentality within management staff. It's like management can never admit they were wrong about how they addressed or assessed a particular situation and routinely absolve themselves of any wrongdoing, but are never as gracious in dealing with their staff.
There is a culture of salacioius workplace gossip. "Confidential" supervision meetings aren't always confidential, and third parties are often privy to information that was privately discussed. Management is guilty of and almost unrepentant in their show of favoritism. HR is good for asking questions about time, vacation and benefits, but when it comes to interpersonal conflicts, or filing complaints about management, it seems like they always side with management.
SOME upper-level (non-POC) staff tend to speak to employees of color in a condescending tone or with dumbed-down vocabulary, as if we are incapable of communicating on the same level of professionalism. (They need a separate training on implicit bias and overt racism in the workplace)
BRC has numerous unfilled positions, and thus has extra money in their budget which should at least be given as a bonus to it's hardworking
  more... employees, or a raise.
I am aware that some of these issues aren't exclusive to BRC, and that people across different agencies and industries have to find a healthy work-life balance and leave their issues and biases outside the door. However, it seems that the lack of support from management allows for a lot of the negativity to fester, when it can be easily remedied with effective communication/ mediation skills.
BRC does invest a lot of money in onboarding new staff and training in several areas, however they need to invest more money in their management staff, especially in dealing with professionalism, appropriate communication, and leadership skills.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
terrible union, favoritism
Productive workplace
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2018
Tracked and noted incident reports, oversaw Cares, Awards, and Tour Reports. Assist with the medication as prescribed. Effectively manages emergency situations.
benefits
Cons
shorts breaks
productive fast paced work place
Community Technician / Point Person (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
Good place to work gain knowledge and grow in this field. Keep employees well trained and informed on how to complete requested task. Would recommend giving company a chance
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
mandatory overtime
pay increase
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 4, 2018
great job. staff should get a pay increase every time they reach their anniversary.a new staff should not come on board making the same amount of someone who been there for years
Nothing to say
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  119 streetJune 14, 2018
Nothing to say good place to work good benefit they are willing to work with your schedule they are all about the clients and they hire within you have to like your job
BRC have its days, however its great for people that want to work in the mental fill.
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2018
I've learn you may have days you can help some clients and there are days some clients do not want to be help. I feel that you can choose your battle with some clients. I feel the management team are great as far helping them with housing, placing them in the right facility that meet their needs, and also helping them reunited with family members.
Pros
Moving up and getting new position.
Cons
Health benefits
Productive work place
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  new yorkApril 18, 2018
BRC is an excellent company to be apart of. I've worked at 3 different sites and I would recommend them all. They hire with in so its easy to move up. My only issue with BRC is their health plan benefits are too expensive. its not ideally affordable for someone at entry level with a family.
great place to be an entern
Maintenance Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I had a great experience working at the bowery the staff and working conditions are great would have loved to been full-time not in New York at this time
Pros
job security
Cons
work at your own paste
Great environment to work at plus a great place grow
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2018
With this job I have learned a great deal of patience. On a typical day I would call each client that I have to schedule a visit either for that day or another. I would go to each clients apartment and conduct an apartment inspection to see what can be fixed or repaired and in addition see how each client is living and assist them with their ADL ( Activities of daily Living) skills. Some days I would assist client with going to the Social Security Office or shopping. This company and the position I held there gave me knowledge of the homeless population and the stages of recover that these guys go through. It taught me Harm reduction and compassion. It gave me strength to want to get up and work as closely to these guys as I can. It is difficult but understanding. The coworkers are extremely helpful and shows a lot of love. They are very knowledgeable. The hardest part of my job is knowing that one of your clients had passed away. The most enjoyable would be clocking into work knowing your getting paid to help a person life that much better, even if its just with a hello.
Pros
Great benefits and free party cruise once a year
Cons
Can feel over worked based on the position and lack of pay.
good pay and benefits
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJanuary 9, 2018
They provide reasonable pay and good benefits for this area, but the management treats staff poorly. The schedule keeps changing with very little notice, and management does not seem to believe in employees having any sort of family life.
This is a fun place to work for.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55413December 7, 2017
Fast pace, fun, meeting new people every week, salary is OK , no Holidays paid with only one week paid vacation after one year only, nice vehicles for crew to commute to job sites.
Interesting place to work. A lot to learn.
Community Technician/Point Person (Current Employee) –  New york, N.YDecember 1, 2017
I enjoyed working for BRC. Overtime is unlimited and is mandatory hence making it difficult to work as a community technician and attend school. Trainings are very interesting.
Pros
All trainings are free.
Cons
Overtime is mandatory.
Great Experience, nice people
Administrative Assistant/Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2017
This was a temporary assignment but it was a great experience. I was offered the job permanently but the salary was EXTREMELY low. Very casual work environment and I enjoyed helping the residents.
Pros
nice people, hours, casual attire, supervisor was great
Cons
neighborhood was rat infested
Prouctive
Maintenance/ Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2017
my time at BRC was Productive and i made the best of my time there.my co-workers were very helpful even on stressful times.also they had us deal with bedbugs issuse. we had to take clients clothes to the laundry room in the basement and put them in the dryer to get rid of the bedbugs.this was a requirement.
Pros
one Hour lunch.
Cons
Healthcare.
good place to work
Desk Clerk- Per Diem (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 23, 2017
wish we got paid 40 hours per week as opposed to 37.5 union more involved more money for desk clerks roll over vacation would be nice or cash in sonority should apply
Pros
pleasant working enviorment
Cons
40 hrs verses 37.5
Productive great place to work
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  2027 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10035September 12, 2017
Meet with client that you have scheduled. Ensure that they care receiving needed Benefits. Ensure they are linked with Medical, Mental Health and Substance abuse Services. Assist clients in completing a 2010E housing packet. While waiting for housing work with client on being housing ready. I learned to be very patient when dealing with the Homeless Population. Hardest part of the job is getting client to meet with Case Manager to work on set goals. Most enjoyable part was my co-workers which where all a great bunch of individuals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BRC. Our community is ready to answer.