Bread for the City Employee Reviews

Pay could be better
Medical Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  washington,dcOctober 22, 2018
Great people to work with
little to no room for advancement
equal and appropriate pay for cost of living
Energy and culture is very relaxed
great entry level position
Excellent work place
Office Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
Love the people there there for helping people in need. I loved seeing clients happy when leaving. Overall we care about the community...and the kids really loved us ❤
I can't give a summary
Externship Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 14, 2018
not my place, to evaluate the facility. I enjoyed my time their and did my job. The staff was helpful and completed all my task as given without supervision.
okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2018
try to stay focused on the task at hand and keep your work in front of you remember that what ever you do people will try to keep you down so keep in mind that once you finish your work that you can do anything
Pros
discounts
Cons
money
What you learned
Volunteer Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
As a intern worker I gained a lot of knowledge about the organization and what it stands for. It provides legal services with no cost at all. It gives those young people between the ages of 18/29 years of age the opportunity to expand their job readiness skills. Assist with those coming from a correctional facility looking for fair housing, infant clothes items and food pantry feeding those from all walks of life that need these services. Each day are busy some days are hectic than others, but the public are served completely and respectfully with dignity and with patience. The public comes in to fill out paper work that we offer assistance to those who have difficult in reading or writing. The hardest part of the work would be the different personalities that comes into the facilities and remember it's about them that need the assistant.
Pros
no one is turned away, no one is judge they know other services
Cons
need to expand services into a larger blg
fast paced
Driver/Food Pantry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2017
it was a fun and fast paced job i love all of the staff and clients there. A regular day was to get to the center, pull out the van or light truck we were going to use
Always Food Around
Medical Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at BFC is fast paced and rewarding.
I learned a lot with BFC, we had training on diversity,Trauma Informed Care, Racism, Quitting smoking, and more. Management is cool. The work place culture is visionary always looking for new ways to help the under privileged. Hardest part of the job is not being able to HELP clients enough, and the most enjoyable was being able to serve the resident's of Washington, DC with dignity and respect and there was always food around. I really enjoyed working at BFC.
Pros
Always food around
Cons
Limited in somethings we can help clients with
Focused and Mission Oriented
Representative Payee Program Asst. (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2017
The staff is truly focused on helping those in need. The mission of the organization is made clear. It is a great place to work. I learned a lot working here and I also contributed a lot.
Very interesting contacts, and communication avenues
Client Advisory Council Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2017
I am the CAC Secretary: I take notes in meetings, type them, and distribute them to members. I also attend other functions, and help out in any way, volunteering.
Pros
Bread for the city will feed you!
Cons
Job stability, benefits, and security.
Depends on department, but overall BFC is mission-driven with a positive culture
Senior Advisor on Strategy (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2017
Bread for the City tries to balance the limitations of funding with a fair wage for staff and contractors. Their advocacy on racial equity has been inspiring to watch and be involved in.
Pros
supportive culture
Cons
anti-union

Want to know more about Bread for the City?

Ask a question
Nice work-life balance
General Dentist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2017
Very relaxed but professional environment. Staff is encouraged by management to seek opportunities for professional advancement. The pay is ok but nice benefit package to make it doable.
Pros
Rewarding work
l love Bread for the city
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2017
Bread for the city is an organization that help low income people and is a non- profit organization.
The management are willing, willing, able,supportive of anybody that need help.
They are groups of special people to be among and reliable individuals
whatever happens there is someone who is at your side at the time of sorrow and need.
l love the place so much to leave any at given day is a problem for me because there is so much to do and more individual to help
l love to be part of the team and after my internship, l am still part of the volunteer team update.
Productive and funn working environment
Community Organizer/Policy Advisor Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2016
A typical work day is coming to work and knowing that you all are working to make a difference in someone life. Everyone is so nice and love on each other. I learned a lot about community building and working on Policy control in the District of Columbia. I had the opportunity to work with at large council members and the Mayor. Co-workers are AWESOME! WE ARE LIKE FAMILY!!! The hardest part of the job can sometimes be the holiday helping season were we are the most busy. I mostly enjoy working with the community and in advocacy and working on housing campaigns.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not many fulltime positions
Great learning experince
Volunteer Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2016
I developed a variation of skills, such as gardening, humanitarianism, administrative, and food handling. The staff there was awesome and offered me their best expertise advise in becoming a better employee.
A great time
Clothing Room Intern (Former Employee) –  1640 Good-Hope rd se Washington DCJune 2, 2016
This was a very good learning experience for me, I learned how to deal with different types of people, I learned patience, and loved serving my community especially those in need.
Pros
pleasant, hard working people
Cons
not being able to volunteer
Overall Experience- Good!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2015
Good Experience; good benefits; nice people
Medical; Dental; Tuition reimbursement; paid vacations; Rotating shifts; Days; Evenings; Night shifts; Friendly environment
Stress free work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2015
Very friendly work environment with excellent benefits. I've learned a lot about the needs of the people in the community and how to implement programs to help them survive.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Excellent learning experience
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2015
The entire staff (legal and non legal) was very helpful and they taught me a great deal. They were patient with me and gave me a good number of assignments. The hardest part of the job was drafting the legal documents because I was new to the legal field. There are few to no restaurants close to the southeast location but the kitchen was fully resourced. There is a great rooftop garden. I enjoyed client intake days because I had the opportunity to meet and consult clients. Overall great work environment.
Passed out food to people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 16, 2015
it was great being a service to the community and helping the people get food. A truly heart warming experience for me and cherish that experience everyday.
Great Organization
Temporary Employee Assistance (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2014
Great organization but its really hard to move up with this non profit. Ive worked for them for over a year and have been trained in 4 different departments and still haven't been offer an full time position. Unsure as to what they are looking for but alot of the positions here need a certain degree requirement or ask for one. That in my opinion is really unnessary because alot of these positions you need to have people and communication skills, I feel that is determent for other indviduals who work for the company to ever feel they have growth. As a whole the people ( clients are nice; well some) , staff is nice and I like the concept of giving back to the community . I really enjoy helping and assisting people within times like today where there is hardly any support or help within the community. Just wish that it was support within this organization. Sad.
Pros
Access to information regarding food, clothing and other valuable information that is not spread out within in the community
Cons
Cant move within the company and certain supervisors aren't any qualify to be managers