Brevard County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Job Security
Corrections (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLMarch 27, 2019
Always looking to fill positions due to chronic staff shortage. Great team work from those that are there. Job will be what you make of it. Great stepping stone.
No complaints
Jail Administration/Classification Specialist (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 29, 2018
No complaints about the job. As long as you go to work and do what you are expected to do, then no one should complain. The benefits are good and the time off.
Family feeling but the salaries are too low
Desk Officer (Former Employee) –  Viera, FLSeptember 11, 2018
I enjoyed working at BCSO but the salaries were too low ($10.50/hour) I couldn't survive on that . A checker at Aldi makes $12.00/hour. For having to undergo a background investigation, drug test and polygraph you would expect starting salaries to be $15.00. Before I works as a desk officer I worked at he jail The salaries were a little better ($12.50/hour) but still, it was a hostile and dangerous environment. They should start at $15.00 or more.

The BCSO management has its problems. At the jail, if you're not the Sargent's pet you have problems. At the precincts the work environment is more professional.
I admire the deputies for putting their lives on the line. Its a thankless job, it's dangerous and they should get more than $20/hour to do it.
Pros
Free meals at the jail
Cons
LOW pay
Career Choice
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 24, 2018
My personal experience with the agency has been very positive over the course of my employment. While I disagree with the low wages compared to cost of living, I enjoyed all other aspects of my job. The people are wonderful, the community support is at a high. In order to be successful in law enforcement you have to have a servant's heart. There are days/calls for service that may not be so great, but the purpose of our job doesn't change.
Pros
community support, camaraderie, advancement opportunities, education incentives
Cons
stress
Fulfilling career
Purchasing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLAugust 23, 2018
Gained administrative knowledge. Working for law enforcement was at times exciting. Serving the county by assuring taxpayer dollars were expended properly.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Promotions
Positive experience
Agent (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed my time here. It was an enjoyable experience overall because of the people you meet along the way. There are many exceptional people working there.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
The usual
Fast paced, and rewarding place to work
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 4, 2018
Good place to work. They are very interested in your career growth. Tight knit, and excellent leadership in the Sheriff. A typical day is very busy, which makes the day go by faster. People are were willing to help, and that makes a huge difference.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay
Good job security
Corrections Deputy (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLMay 10, 2018
The job was secure, but it was not for me. I am very energetic and compassionate with what I do and I was no longer happy living a lie at work. Trying to satisfy the "higher ups" no matter how "wrong" it was. Not the job for me
Great place to work for.
Corporal (Jail) (Current Employee) –  860 camp roadApril 25, 2018
I have worked at the jail complex for almost 4 years and can honestly say, I love my job. I haven’t woke up one day in the last four years and thought, “Ugh I don’t want to go to work today.” I genuinely love my job. Just like any job there are some people who will find any little thing they can to have something to complain about, but it’s a great place. The supervisors are fair and consistent. The command staff have worked their way up and understand the issues that come up on a daily basis and will work with the members of the agency to fix any issues. And, if you are a hard worker, dedicated, and take the job seriously, you can move up. It’s a place that I look forward to working at for the next 26 years and will be sad to leave when I retire. I was able to become an FTO (field training officer) around a year and a half after I started there and became a corporal 3.5 years into working at the jail. They have a Corrections Response Team which deals with a lot of high risk incidents/training. They have a K-9 unit which works with the road deputies. The people that work at the jail are like a big family and we would do anything to help one of our family members out. Bottom line, I would recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
Free food, great benefits, respectful leaders, great command staff, awesome co-workers.
Cons
Slightly understaffed
Difficult
Deputy/Investigator (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLMarch 20, 2018
Working for the current administration is difficult, at best. But, there are many benefits. Working for any elected official has its drawbacks.
Challenging and Rewarding
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FloridaFebruary 13, 2018
Enforce Florida State Statutes, Investigate Felony and Misdemeanor Crimes, Road Patrol, Preservation of Evidence, Records, Files, FTO, Courtroom Testimony, etc.
Pros
Great Place to Work
Cons
N/a
Typical
Seaport Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Brevard County, FLJanuary 23, 2018
Great LE Agency, very progressive outlook towards law enforcement. The agency is a great place to work. There are many many opportunities for both a new person or a seasoned law enforcement officer.
very productive
MARITIME OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Port Canaveral, FLJanuary 18, 2018
excellent place to work with professional employees and management. kept busy which made the work day go quick. the management was fair and honest. they would go above and beyond to help out
Pros
12 hour shifts with 7 days off every 2 weeks
The hardest part
Corrections Technician (Current Employee) –  Cocoa, FLJune 24, 2017
The hardest part of this job may be the hours. If you've never worked 12 hour rotationals, it may be difficult to adjust. It is a 24 hour facility so you have both day and night shifts and they are bidded for each year.
Lovey place to work for
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Brevard County, FLJune 8, 2017
The Brevard County Sheriff's Office is a great place to work for. They provide you with adequate tools to get the job done. They are innovative in how they do police work
Fast Paced for excellent for people who can multi task
Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FLMay 30, 2017
The management within in the company is wonderful, they care very much about their employees. The work is stressful and there is a lot a responsibility on the emergency dispatchers.
Very stressful hours too ealy
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  860 camp rd sharpes, Florida 32922April 25, 2017
very stressful job. Standing on hard floors ergonomically not good for back. Job hours are too early.. working long hours are too much. Inmates are too much to handle at times. I'm interested in new career.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Excellent
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FLDecember 11, 2016
Almost 10 years with this agency
Great people, great opportunity to serve the people who serve the citizens of Brevard county.
Many lifelong friendships.
Professional agency
Major/Commander (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLSeptember 27, 2016
Excellent agency. Many opportunities for sworn and civilian employees. An exciting, interesting place to work and meet the public. Five different precincts to work from as well as many other services, such as, Animal Services, Crime Prevention, and Operational services.
Pros
Varied work day, pay and benefits, excellent teamwork environment
Cons
sworn shifts can be long
Run away
Latent Fingerprint Examiner-Identification Unit (Former Employee) –  Rockledge, FLFebruary 24, 2016
I worked in this position. It's not worth it. There are no standard operating procedures nor training procedures for this position. Management shows a lack of knowledge and understanding for the field of latent fingerprints. Working in the field of forensic science, in any discipline, you MUST have standard operating procedures to follow. There must be proper training and documentation of both the procedures and training. There are none of those for this position within this agency. Don't fool yourself and think you can help them write procedures. Management is not interested. Skip this job and look for one with documented procedures, a documented training program, and forensic accreditation for the integrity of your forensic science career!
Pros
full time job with benefits
Cons
management's lack of forensic knowledge, no documented SOPs for the unit, no documented training program, the unit is behind the times when it comes to forensics