BridgeTower Media Employee Reviews

Flexible Freelance Writers
Freelance Journalist/Photojournalist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 18, 2019
I enjoy this position because it is a freelance position which allows ultimate choice in whether or not to take an assignment. There is also great freedom on who you chose for sources all the way through the interview and photography as well as the writing. An editor reviews your final article.
Sales Associate
Vice President news radio (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 12, 2018
I learned all of the usual skills as a sales associate. That combined with the particular field I was in - media, gave me a great combination of skills that I can put to use in any job or industry.
Every day was a new worst day
Editorial (Former Employee) –  Upstate, NYAugust 23, 2018
They have a formula where, after they buy a newspaper, they fire three people, put the job descriptions in a blender and create two positions to cover the workload. Then rinse and repeat until they find two inexperienced people to do the work of 10 and do it for the lowest possible wage. And not only are you one of them, you'll have to work with them.

Corporate then brags about they were able to reduce labor costs by some astronomical percent.

Even without layoffs, turn-over is incredible. When I worked there, less than 25% of the staff had been there over a year. When I left, about half the editorial positions were vacant.

Upper management doesn't want your input, even if it's your specialty, and frankly, will resent you for mentioning it. Middle management will not have your back.

You'll be asked to "Take initiative" and develop new ideas, but you will also be micro-managed on anything you do, no matter how mundane.

Any improvements you make will be ignored. Any mistakes you make, usually because you can't read minds, will be amplified. Sometimes, you will have to take the blame when sycophants make the mistakes.

Benefits are spotty. They pay for half your insurance.

Pay was barely livable, and the position, to do well, required at least 3-5 years proficiency in about five completely unrelated fields.
Pros
Work from home sometimes
Cons
Everything else.
Didn't really know anything about local companies
Digital Marketing & Event Sales (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYAugust 4, 2018
they bought all these old newspaper companies and expected revenue to increase without changing managers at key places in the bundled newspaper portfolio. Never asked any employees or management who was a great digital marketing candidate to help us grow. I left and made another company $100,000 in the year following my departure. No sales. All my digital marketing insight could have been theirs to grow. Not very smart - their hierarchy just promotes college buddies and people in management that just want to make a living. No promotions for enthusiastic workers ready to learn. Sales a newspapers not very good. Run away from this company unless they changed their ways. Look at the last 10 people they hired in their "Brass" - look at those connections to others in that small sample of positions. Like a dumb buddy system being allowed. Best of luck!
Pros
Not being friends with any of these people after leaving
Cons
run away unless they offer you progress and a chance to give input
Great Brands Scattered Management
Executive Publisher (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJMay 15, 2018
Some great brands with friendly co workers. Seems like we are repeating the same mistakes when we were known as Dolan however because we are now owned by Gatehouse, health and wellness benefits are greatly improved but poor monetary compensation lowers total package.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
No money to invest in properties that need it most
Not a fan of the corporate structure, poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2018
The Daily Record is owned by larger corporate company BridgeTower, and this is the main cause of tension in the office and poor work environment. To accomplish anything, it usually has to go through higher up in another department in another state, and much of the day to day is just waiting to hear back from people that work elsewhere. The company has outsourced many of it's operations which has really hurt our relationships with customer and our ability to work quickly and efficiently. On top of this, local managers tend to shift blame and even make excuses for the people that we pay to work for us that we have outsourced to, rather than helping the employees in their own office out or to enforce our standards. Managers feel less like authority figures and more like coworkers, since we are unable to approach them for advice or to express concerns without them turning the conversation to their own grievances and offering no solutions.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off/ sick leave
Cons
Poor management, stressful work environment
Poor Leadership
Sales (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 28, 2018
Once the company was bought out by Gatehouse Media and went public the leadership didn't care about the sales employees. Pay was terrible, goals were high and unattainable. Commissions low
Benefits are there, Management is not.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 23, 2017
The Special Projects Management is lacking. Designers are expected to not only project manage, but also communicate with outside vendors for numerous properties, with very tight deadlines. There is little to no training and when asking for help, most instances management is not available or helpful. Long hours and angry clientele.
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
Poor Structure
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2017
Expected to put the job first always. Time off was never time off and very disorganized - no plan in place. Fire drill after fire drill. No annual pay increases.
contributor
Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 10, 2017
I was a one time contributor, I do not have enough experience at the company to give a proper review. They published my content quickly and efficiently
Bait and switch
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NYJune 28, 2017
Horrible organization to work for. The dishonesty is unbelievable to the point that you'll feel as though you are being pranked. The base salary is low and commission structure is sketchy. Save yourself the stress and apply somewhere else.
Pros
networking events and connections
Lots of Fun
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ALJune 27, 2017
Worked as film developing technician, scanned that film and edited. Lots of time necessary on weekends. Not very balanced family life. Great environment but very little pay.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
long hours and low pay
Terrible Pay High Goals for Sales Team
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKJune 15, 2017
Goals are given very late and unexplained as to why they are so high. Micromanage to the max - no sales support. Incentive plan is very difficult to reach with high goals.
#WorstPlaceToWork
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 14, 2017
The culture is absolutely not understanding of sales. Micro-management off the charts from a larger corporation who fails to care about their employees or their clients. Leadership is weak and "yes-man" oriented ---focused on the bottom line and revenue without appreciation of the revenue generated from a sales team. There is no support for the sales team. You are not just a sales person but an accounts receivable administrator, creative director, with no in-bound leads nor any administrative support.
Zero work/life balance
Sales (Former Employee) –  OkCJune 14, 2017
-Unprofessional at times
- voice rarely heard
- when you give notice they will short you on your pay.
-untimely with informing you of your goals
- employees began dreading going to work.
Challenging work environment, no team approach.
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 21, 2017
Reporters were pitted against each other in this environment, and I was expected to work more than 60 hours a week (with no overtime) under constant pressure, leaving little time or energy for a home life.
Pros
Good location in downtown Portland.
Cons
Long hours, no extra pay.
Awesome resume builder with great staff
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJApril 10, 2017
Some of the friendliest and most supportive coworkers you'll ever meet. Very collaborative environment with opportunity for more responsibility. Everyone is exposed to and learns a lot in their time here. Can sometimes be difficult to manage time with constant last-ditch sales efforts that can be very last minute. Company was recently acquired by a public company and there have been cuts, which seem to have potential to continue.
Pros
Collaborative environment, 22 days PTO starting, office pot-lucks, free food every week
Cons
Layoffs, sales-driven last minute projects
Fun, safe work life
Special Insert Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 8, 2017
Lehigh Valley Business Journal is a great place to work. The coworkers and mangers like to have fun and like to work with you. The pay is wonderful as are the benefits.
Pros
Steady hours, great pay, great benefits
So niche and so stuck
Advertising Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2016
Flexible schedules if you're performing to moving expectations. Great audience opinion about awards program and a logical sales opportunity for sponsorships. Poor distribution model with steady declining print subscriptions and slow growth in digital adoption. There is overall poor investment in technology, training, and talent development.
Pros
Networker's Dream
Cons
Lack of support and talent development
High stress environment.
Public Notice Department (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 17, 2015
Never new from day to day when you were going to get off from work, made it difficult to make plans. I worked for a small department and quickly had a lot of responsibility added to my work load which I agreed to, but it was difficult to get quality people into the department and keep them for what the company wanted to pay them which is ultimate one of the reasons why I left.
Pros
Great people, interesting days.
Cons
High stress, too much work for the amount of pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BridgeTower Media. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight