Bristal Assisted Living Employee Reviews

Management needs to improve.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Lake Success, NYApril 13, 2018
Too much politics at this location, You have lazy people that don't want to be a team players, they just sit in a office and act busy. rsa complain all the time they not happy there but stay since this is they only job, management needs to improve. Alot need to be changed at this place.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Alot
The bristal is of those jobs you take out of desperation
LPN Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYApril 9, 2018
Extremely high turnover in this place in all positions making it hard to learn because everyone is uncertain....the supervisor and med techs are expected to do to much for such a large population. The directors spend more time dealing with the lack of staff they don’t have time to implement or organize..the job itself is not bad although unsafe..they have paper mars and uneducated med techs giving out medication which leaves room for error which happened to often.....the decor is amazing but the salary is terrible given your responsibility
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unorganized
Love the Residents Management was horrible
Full Time Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYMarch 22, 2018
When I first started to work at the Bristal, I loved it. It was fast paced, and always something going on for either the residents or employees. The Bristal Company does provide a lot of benefits and appreciation for their employees, however, the Bristal I worked at did not know and still does not know how to manage the facility. The pay was not up to par with living expenses and for what the company itself is making. When a new opportunity came up for me I did debate if I should leave or not because I loved all my residents but in the end I had to do what was best for me and that was to leave. Best decision I ever made.
Pros
Free lunches and dinners, great community, fun events monthly, friendly atmosphere, good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, not enough pay, doing more than job description, no vision care
Loved Working There
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYMarch 20, 2018
I absolutely loved working at the Bristal and they do have a lot of appreciation for their employees. The only downside was that the pay was just not up to par with the living expenses in the area I lived in. You'd have to work more than part-time to afford anything, and even then the full-time position did not offer a high enough rate either. For the management and people I worked with (along with the wonderful residents), I would totally go back, but for the pay and benefits, I would be weary.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, not enough pay, doing more than job description
Fun and enjoyable work environment
Reflections Wait Staff (Current Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYMarch 18, 2018
the staff loves to be there. Each and every staff members cares about the residents. The residents always make work enjoyable and relaxing. Its a great place for a short time or long time job.
Best career move I have ever made
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 23, 2018
I joined the Bristal family in 2016 and couldn’t be happier. What I do everyday makes a difference in the lives of others and provides me with job satisfaction.
Pros
What we have to offer as an Assisted Living community
It can take a toll on you
Supervisor/Medication Technician/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYDecember 26, 2017
atypical work day starts by getting residents ready for the day. Showering and helping them dress. Escorting them to the dining room, setting tables distributing meals. When breakfast is over residents have to be changed and then ready for activities. When laundry is sent up clothes have to be out away. Now its lunch time, residents have to be put back into the dining room and start the same process again. Doctors may come so you have to bring the residents to the office for check ups. You have to have plenty of patients and compassion.
Pros
convenient. There are several locations.
Cons
pay is not enough for the work that has to be done
Enjoyed interacting with the residents
Maintainance Director (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYDecember 17, 2017
I maintained building and grounds. Painted, install locks, moved around furniture. Placed orders with outside vendors. Enjoyed building props for the staff parties.
Pros
Enjoyed helping the residents
Cons
I would get calls late at night about something that went wrong when I wasn't there.
the residents
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 12, 2017
the residents is what kept me there but as far as management there is a lack of communication with the employees and after you get hurt they fire you without notice
Pros
they give bonuses and have parties
Cons
sometimes you dont get a break and they try not to pay for it
great place to work
Assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Holtsville, NYOctober 29, 2017
great place to work. you become a family working together to care for other peoples families. very rewarding job. lots of benefits. they care about the staff
The bristal
HHA/Caregiver/Med Tech (Former Employee) –  East Northport, NYSeptember 21, 2017
I actually use to love this job but the administration are so unprofessional all they do is gossip and talk about people and smile in there face other then that love the residents but overall the place isn't that bad just the staff and the administration
Pros
Free lunch staff appreciation week
Cons
Everything else
College Internship at The Bristal
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 7, 2017
This was my college internship at The Bristal Assisted Living Facility. The staff, management and residents were very nice and very easy to work with. I felt like I belonged there as far as working there was concerned.
Mixed feelings
Wellness Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
A lot of policies and procedures... Difficult to follow with limitted staffing if working in newer community... Great ideas, but sometimes a little unrealistic for the roles...
Pros
Small bonuses throughout the year, competitive salaries especially for LPNs. Great opportunity.
Cons
Micro-managed, not enough support for new communities
Acting Food Service Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Bristal gave me a job offer right after an internship and the owners treated me like family. I was promoted after 4 years to a acting food service director and have been responsible for an assisted living location for 2 years. The health benefits, dental and 401k plan are excellent.
Pros
health benefits, dental and 401k
Cons
salary and high turnover of staff
night shift supervisor
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYMay 18, 2017
started as cna and worked my way up to night shift supervisor
it was a fun working environment.
Had to quit due to the new management and when the new management took over they brought their own staff
a lot of old employees were let go and replaced with the new staff
Very slow and depressing enviroment
Housekeeping Director (Former Employee) –  East Meadow, NYMay 17, 2017
not what i expected !
the place it's nice inside/out ,my experience was one of the worse experience i had .the residents are all very nice and friendly but for me it was more like a nursing home than an assisted living place .the manager who was "training me " didn't spend time training me i did not enjoy being treated like a child by her . she was very rude to everyone including the other directors .
Pros
free luch
productive, stressful, fun
Resident care Assistant/Meidcation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYMay 11, 2017
Working at the Bristal is very productive. This is a place where you have to have a lot of patients, an open mind and a big heart.. There is a diverse group of individuals with different personalities, backgrounds and religious beliefs. There's fun activities on a weekly basis like balloon valley ball or when someone comes to entertain. in my opinion management is not the best when it comes to resolving the employee's issues.The culture is also very diverse. There is someone from almost every background. The hardest part of this job is knowing when to be the bigger person in certain situations, knowing when to say it's not their fault and biting your tongue. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing you make a difference in someones life, being there when no one else is, the appreciation from the residents when you've helped them in one way or another.
Pros
free lunch, staff appreciation month, bonuses throughout the year
Cons
short breaks, healthcare, 401k matching, no room to grow
Great Place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYMay 5, 2017
Fantastic place to work. I learned to work with people from all backgrounds. The management is good since everyone works together and you can always speak up so your voice is heard.
Good Job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  NYApril 6, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the bristal, the people are great and the co workers are great its like a big family. On the corporate side it its a little competitive but so are all other companies.
Pros
bonus, holidays, parties and emploee appreciation week
Productive workplace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 5, 2017
My job is great as far as the residents I serve. The employees are great some need major work but overall they are good people. The work is east and effective. the food is great and the derive the aids give the resident is great too. The families that come to visit are pleasant welcoming and sweet.
Pros
Free breakfast lunch n dinner
Cons
Not enough staffing, no union

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bristal Assisted Living. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

3.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight