Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation Employee Reviews

Toxic
RN (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKFebruary 14, 2019
Very Toxic and dangerously incompetent staff in the pharmacy. Leadership fires anyone that questions anything. Has been on suspension status with CMS repeatedly. Do not travel to this location, it is not worth the risk. I left after a couple of weeks due to the dangerous environment.
Pros
Cons
Very deceitful leadership and board of directors are uneducated.
Productive, competitive
Community health aide (Current Employee) –  Perryville, AKSeptember 27, 2018
Nice place to work, friendly customers coworkers, great way to help other people. Busy working days, fast pace. Great for people who work well under pressure.
Pros
Good benefits. Successful
Work safely
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKSeptember 25, 2018
The Bristol Bay Areah Health Corp Purpose is to serve a patient with care and make it a safe working environment. I learned that patients come first. I learned to work with one another and communicate to make work safe.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
I enjoyed the RN cross training that they offered.
Registered Nurse Med/Surg/ER (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKSeptember 13, 2018
I was only employed for 6 months. However I would have enjoyed having the opportunity to advance or receive training for ER Trauma nursing which other nurses were offered but not offered to me. Also I requested more class training for OB nursing since I had never worked specifically in Obstetrics and my nursing manager did not seem interested in providing me with any opportunities once I was hired.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Cons
Short breaks.
Good place to develop broad psychotherapy skills.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Dillingham, AKJuly 30, 2018
It's a great place to work if you're a mental health professional who enjoys a community mental health background with a private practice feel. It's remote and you won't always have the resources of a larger city. With that said, the work is at your pace. If you want to leave the office and see clients in the community at school or at home, you can. If some days that pace gets to you, you can keep it to hour sessions in your office. You also get to fly around to villages in bush planes, which is pretty cool.

What can I say? It's a community mental health setting. Therapists see whatever comes in the door with anything from depression to psychotic disorders to severe trauma. Fortunately, whatever you don't know or specialize in, the organization has the resources to help you learn. Whatever psychotherapy skills you don't have, you'll learn quickly.

Benefits are good, you get nearly a month of PTO each year and they pay your health insurance premiums. Pay is better than anywhere in the lower 48 and the organization will pay for clinicians to go out of region to get their CEUs and learn new therapy skills. I've sometimes gotten paid travel to trainings close to family that they let me combine with vacation time, so that was cool of them.

Dillingham is in the southwest part of the state, so we have moderate winters with a fair amount of daylight and warm summers. While beautiful, this place is remote and everything barges or flies into the place. With that said, there are regular flights out of here and decent internet out here capable of streaming Netflix. Amazon Prime
  more... is everyone's friend and offers free shipping that takes about a week. It can be expensive, but you're paid very well, so it more than balances out. If you're someone that needs immediate access to shopping malls and next day delivery, this place isn't for you.

Overall, it can be challenging work, but it's at your pace and the team has been good at helping out. I'm always able to fly out of here 4-5 times per year and it's only an hour flight to Anchorage, so it helps make it not feel as remote. I'd say I'm a better skilled clinician for working out here.
Pros
Good work pace, great pay and benefits, good if you like to travel.
Cons
Remote
The typical work week was like an ongoing rollercoaster
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKJuly 18, 2018
I've learned the proper way to deal with shipping and handling, thats for sure. The management in my department was very well kept together and that's what I liked most about my job. The Central Supply Dept. had great employees, very friendly.
I think the only downside is that it is so under-staffed, we were never able to catch a break from all of the stress. Other than that, it was a great job and a great learning experience.
Pros
Staying active throughout the entire day
Cons
Understaffed Dept., causes a lot of stress
Excellent place to work but remotely located
SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKJanuary 23, 2018
Troubleshooting IT problems from printers to servers. Image and deploy new equipment.
Collaborate with staff to resolve problems.
The hardest part would be troubleshooting server outages.
The best part was the excellent teamwork and collaboration.
Although remotely located the site used the latest cutting edge technology.
Pros
Easy going staff and culture
Cons
Remote location
Great place to serve people
Registered Dietitian/Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKJanuary 4, 2018
I've worked for several different companies in my lifetime, as well as the military; management at Bristol Bay is top-notch, professional, and fair in dealing with employees. Pay and benefits are upper tier too.
Pros
Pay and location
Cons
Big work load for every worker with few resources to help patients.
Licensed Master Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKOctober 4, 2017
When manager was asked for help with work load the answer was they didn't have a budget for helper. Training; learn as you go. Rural area; few resources
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Work load is huge.
Working at Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation
Procurement Officer (Current Employee) –  Dillingham, AKSeptember 28, 2017
The hospital is the largest employer in Dillingham. It offers a great opportunity for professional growth. I've enjoyed the employment; it can get a little stressful, but there is a plenty of places to de-stress. The work culture is laid back; yet professional.

BBAHC has an excellent relocation program, as well as some assistance in findings apartments or houses. Also, the company have vehicles on site for employees to use to run errands.
Pros
free gym to workout; free medication; education reimbursement.
Cons
no diversity, no employee lunch room
patient care
Travel Technician (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKSeptember 16, 2017
Make reservations for a patient or an employee. Make the reservations that work for them by calling the airline or making them online. For an employee calculate per diem or subsistence checks before they travel. Follow policy and procedure and management is very helpful in those areas if not completely familiar. Everyone nice and friendly, learning how to calculate per diem can be a little tricky at first but gets easy after a while. When there is a birthday almost every time you will be invited to grab a plate.
Pros
go for a nice walk on your lunch break
Cons
never know when you'll get sick
nice place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKSeptember 6, 2017
it was really fun, had nice co-workers, but my night time supervisor didnt understand the line between work related stuff and personal stuff. he made me unconfortable
Pros
meal ticket
Cons
night time supervisor was intrusave
Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation was my most favorite organization to work for.
Travel Technician (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKFebruary 13, 2017
My work experience started at BBAHC, which is located in Dillingham, AK. I spent 5 years working for the health corporation. I felt extremely blessed to be able to work and become friends with staff from many different departments.
fun work place
A/R Tech (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKAugust 19, 2016
hard work always pays off, you have to make sure your on time and that you know how to do your job correctly. you dont have to be fast paced, but you have to make sure you can learn your job quickly
Pros
great pay and fun
Cons
a little bit too stern
productive,beneficial,inspiring and a great place to work
A/R Tech (Current Employee) –  Dillingham, AKJune 29, 2016
fun co-workers, great procedures, patient care priority, busy and an absolutely great place to start a career
benefits
Cons
Worked with members of the community
Case Management Support (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKJanuary 22, 2015
Bristol Bay Area Health Corporation is a great place to work. The most enjoyable part of working there is working with the community in a hospital setting. The hardest part of the job I found to be is when coworkers do not show up for work.
You have to love bush life!
CIO Chief Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Dillingham AlaskaNovember 17, 2014
It is the best fishing and hunting in North America!
No roads no malls no McDonalds LOL ... to me that was great!
Very expensive to live there and takes a day each way (with good weather) to go anywhere! So pay is not enough to cover the extra cost of living there unless that is what you want!
Challenging location but everyone there is there to make a difference! You either work or play or get out of the way!
Pros
Hunting and fishing
Cons
Expensive if you try to live like you are in the rest of the world!
Productive, busy work place
Medical Biller/Collector (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKMay 29, 2014
I have never had a boring work day. There is always something to do, if not my own work there is always opportunity to help others in the office. I have learned how to work with patients, customers, and to be a positive role model to others. I love working with people and make people feel they have been helped and to feel important. I enjoyed my co-workers, they have been helpful and patient with me learning new things on the computer. Some days were hard especially working with frustrated customers but was always able to come to a conclusion to the problem,whatever it may be. I really enjoyed the work atmosphere. I love working and helping others as much as I can, with what knowledge I have in the job that I am doing. I have a positive attitude and communicate well with others.
Awesome exprience to live in Alaska
Revenue Cycle Manager (Former Employee) –  Dillingham AlaskaApril 30, 2014
Challenging in a positive manner. Learned to live in a very humble manner.
Great nursing staff
Manager of Nursing Services (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 28, 2014
In spite of a relatively young nursing staff, they continue to provide excellent nursing care. A great NURSING staff.