BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
great place to work and learn (peer math tutor)
Peer math tutor (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAAugust 1, 2018
Was a great position however the only issue I had working for this college was I could never get enough hours to make a living working for them requiring me to find other employment opportunities
good place to work
MAINTAINER I (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 28, 2018
Bcc is a good place to work. There are opportunities to advance. Staff is very supportive of each other and are there to provide assistance if and when needed
fun
Fall River - Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 23, 2018
Bristil Community Mens basketball is an outstanding place to work. It is very rewarding dealing with young men who are committed but were passed up on who bring heart toughness and joy to the game of basketball.
Pros
winning envorionment
Cons
time consuming
A typical work day in the nursing program
Associate Professor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 4, 2018
A typical work day includes either classroom or clinical teaching, student advising and lecture and question writing. Some of our days are 8 hours long, but some clinical days are 12-14 hours long.The 12 hour day is the length of the student's day once a week, while the professor's day is 14 hours long. These extra 2 hours are for the clinical professor to prepare the clinical day.
Other clinical weeks are made up in two 6 hour days for the student, with the day being about 8 hours twice a week for the professor.
This experience has taught me how to build a curriculum, prepare for accreditation and use various teaching methods to engage students across the lifespan. I also learned how to write questions to assess student learning using evidence based item writing methods.
Our teaching culture involves collaboration between 4-6 professors to team teach the nursing student. There are 2 levels, the 1st year and the second year nursing student. Each level is structured in the same fashion. If I was to consider the hardest part of the profession it is balancing the advising and other support of our students with lecture and question writing and committee work. There are days throughout the busiest parts of the semester that spill over into working at home, and the constant pressure to be sure our work is up to date with contemporary evidence based nursing.
But the most enjoyable part of my job is watching the students successfully master nursing knowledge from simple to complex over the course of the 2 years, while also managing complex family structures and often working full
  more... time. Our students are some of the most remarkable people I have ever met.  less
Pros
Wonderful work year
Cons
none really
The most enjoyable part of the job
Laboratory Technician, II (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAFebruary 9, 2018
The most enjoyable aspect of this job is watching the students succeed. When the days are stressful, you look at the students and are reminded as to why you work so hard.
No room for advancement, poor management, malicious departmental politics
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJanuary 21, 2018
One of the most disappointing career moves I've made. Lack of advancement opportunities, work is not valued, employee(s) are not valued, skewed/disproportional pay scale and pay raises between adjuncts and other positions. Not a positive work environment.
Great college, hard to advance in a position
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJanuary 14, 2018
I love this college, they do a lot of great work for the community and offer fantastic opportunities for students. The one downside is opportunities for advancement are few and far between.
Educational Institution
Professional Dev & Accountability Coord (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MADecember 14, 2017
Working at an educational institution, is an education in itself. It is a positive workplace and very enjoyable to discover the many different learning curves of academics with both the students and staff members.
Pros
Diverse Atmosphere
Cons
Grant-Funding positions
Great People
EDP III (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MANovember 13, 2017
It truly is a wonderful place to work. Politics often get in the way of things happening, but hopefully the new president will get rid of the lingerers.
Friendly Working Environment
Administrative Assistant - Academic Affairs (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAOctober 28, 2017
The most difficult part of my job is coordinating meetings for many participants. Using doodle polls made it a little easier, but now we are asked to use Outlook but many faculty members don't use Outlook to maintain their calendar, which makes it more difficult. Overall, management are very friendly.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Accepting and Supportive Colleagues
Professor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MA 02720September 17, 2017
When I first became employed at BCC, I worried that the full-time nursing faculty - who had worked there for years - would be tough on a new faculty member - since nurses are well-known to "eat their young." However, it was quite the opposite, they were so supportive and helpful - and my boss is great!
Tutor/SI
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MASeptember 15, 2017
I really LOVE working for BCC, and hope to one day be a full-time professor! I just wish it was possible to work full-time with benefits. Hours are limited due to poor funding/small budget. I also wish there were more assistant professor-type positions available for purposes of job experience and growth options.
Pros
friendly environment, great student body
Cons
part-time only, no benefits, not enough hours
Nice place to work
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAAugust 3, 2017
Communication is well understanding, you feel at home, team work is a must. You're well comfortable and you have to be on your A game at all times. You have to pay extra attention.
A lot of people try to pull you down and backstab
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJuly 21, 2017
Most of your time will be protecting yourself from people trying to pull you down. BCC is very prejudice, being a minority is VERY difficult to work there. I do not like saying that, but I am trying to be as honest a possible. I worked there for 9 years and every minority I spoke to had the same complaint.
Pros
Good benefits and use of college
Cons
Very predjuice and cutthroat.
Accessible
Biotech Intern (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 16, 2017
It is a very nice place to get an education while the student's career goals are nurtured. The professors are extremely understanding and helpful while being extremely knowledgeable in their fields. ALL THE FILTERED WATER YOU CAN DRINK!
Cool-
Mental Health Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 15, 2017
Really liked the staff. Great knowledgable supervisor in the particular office in which I interned. Good learning experience, felt encouraged to grow and seek out any support needed.
Its okay.
Staff Associate (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 13, 2017
Overall, the job is enjoyable. However, if you are looking for full time and benefits, good luck!

People are more or less expendable. Once your grant is run out, or if they decided to restructure your possession you are essentially out of a job.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
F/T work, expected from P/T work.
great faculty, staff, and students
Adjunct Professor of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 12, 2017
A great place to work. The staff, faculty, and students are all very professional. The students I have had have been very dedicated and interested in the material. Whenever I have needed assistance with computer issues, my concerns have been promptly addressed.
Pros
everyone is very professional and polite
Bristol Community College
Program Coordinator/Adult Evening Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 23, 2017
While at Bristol Community College, I worked as the Kids College Summer Coordinator and as an evening advisor. Both of these positions were part-time, while I was also employed by the Fall River Public Schools.
fun
Cooking Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAApril 21, 2017
It was just a enjoyable job to do one of the things you love to do! The management was always around if I needed some kind of help. The parents liked to see what their children cooked or baked in class.
Pros
eating what we made
Cons
cleanup