Bristol Hospital Employee Reviews

Typical day at work
General Service (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 12, 2018
It’s good nice people to work for I like being there cause I like helping people & helping my fellow employees it was nice working there people were willing to help you.
Not so great
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Multi specialty groupJune 10, 2018
This company is by far a place who cares nothing about their employees. Even the president is a mess. They really need to stop hiring disrespectful, uneducated people who work in their offices. I worked in an office where the person in charge would shop all day online and Facebook for hours at work. I have witnessed several employees pick up phone and put patients on hold just to finish shopping or their own personnel phone calls. This place lacks patient care so bad. They don’t care even if you even speak up. They actually need a complete makeover on who to hire in a medical field and who to not. I will tell u I would never want one of my family members being a patient in one of these offices.
Not as advertised
PAYROLL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 3, 2018
I am currently in nursing school looking to further my career in the healthcare industry which is what brought me to Bristol Hospital. The role I took on was not in the clinical area but I accepted the position offered so I could "get my foot in the door" so to speak. I learned shortly after working here that they would not be willing to offer me a position as a registered nurse upon graduation unless I worked as a tech first (clinical position) because I'd "only" be earning my Associate's Degree. The problem is that techs do not make much. Even with differentials, I'd have to take a pay cut and due to the cost of my education, that was not something I was able to do. I tried to make connections with the right people and explain that I did plan to further my education as a registered nurse but they still frowned upon the fact that I wouldn't have my BSN in the time frame I planned to start working as an RN.

Additionally (working as a Payroll Specialist), I learned that clinical positions did not pay as well as other hospitals and the raises that they offer are PITIFUL. Most people only receive about a 1% raise even if they had outstanding performance. The benefits are not great either (other than vision) and they do not match retirement contributions until you have been there for 3 years.

Also, all PTO is rolled into one bucket (sick time, personal days, holidays) so while it may seem nice that people on average get about 3 weeks of PTO a year, you should realize that this is NOT in addition to paid holidays or sick time. My previous company offered 2 weeks of PTO,
  more... plus one week of sick time, 4 days of floating holiday, and all our holidays were paid for that did not reduce our PTO bucket. Not to mention, if they close due to inclement weather (specifically referring to nonessential employees), this also is taken out of the PTO bucket. Again, my previous job paid this out and it was not deducted from the PTO bucket.

So although the staff is comprised of many individuals who have been there for many years (decades really), keep in mind that they started with better benefits that were grandfathered in and they no longer have such amazing benefits. In a nutshell, I will say this: BUYER BEWARE!!
Not a fun place to work
Centralized Scheduler Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CT level dApril 28, 2018
It is a fast pace place very stressful and I don't get paid enough for the amount of work I do.people don't work together the department s don't appreciate all we do in our department.
Lacks Leadership
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 16, 2018
Bristol Hospital could be a wonderful place to work if there was better leadership within management. Our department has a large turn over due to lack of leadership and department support.
Pros
Excellent location, great hours
Cons
No team players, no pay increases, no incentives, no leadership
average
Diagnostic Radiologic tech/ct (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMarch 8, 2018
Learned cat scan there great staff tough drive to work, great department employees I enjoyed all the ancillary staff I worked with, difficult commute however
Pros
good people
Cons
n/a
bad management
Clinical Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTMarch 1, 2018
human resources department supports bad management, any complaint is turned against you, very nice nurses and doctors, minute annual raises if any, minimal shift differentials
Horrible bosses and worse co workers
Food Service (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTFebruary 18, 2018
A bunch of condescending, inconsiderate managers.. very unprofessional.. supervisor led by fear. I was there for over 10 years and never recognized for the hard work I put into this job or compensated as such, only told to work harde because we had no help. The hours were all over the place with empty promises of better working hours. Don’t waste your time
Pros
Free food, going home
Cons
Everything else
Very Stressful Work Environment
Central Scheduler (Former Employee) –  BHMSGFebruary 15, 2018
The dept I was in had 9 doctors. The phones were always busy and no one ever helped. There were people that weren’t doing anything but texting or wandering around gossiping but never helped. There was no teamwork. Everyone always had something to say about someone else’s mistakes but never looked at theirs. The MA’s sucked in calling patients back, and some of the providers as well. After complaining a couple of times to management nothing was ever done. As a matter of fact, people would text right in her face while the phones rang and she wouldn’t say anything. The manager was never there and when she was all she talked about was how rich her family is and how spoiled she is. Always bragging as if someone cared or asked her. Yet when it came down to get things done or something was presented to her for assistance she wouldn’t do NOTHING!!! Overall the worst, unprofessional, office I’ve ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management and Poor Training
Loved working at Bristol Hospital
SecretaryII Admin.Prog.Assist.WIC Program (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 15, 2018
I loved working at Bristol Hospital for the State of CT WIC Program. It was a very rewarding job. I loved the clients who I extablished a work relationship with and it was very interesting work. Management was excellent! Our team was wonderful! There wasn't a hard part of this job. It was fast paced, but the day flew by! I enjoyed the customer services aspect and my co-workers, management were wonderful, making us an amazing team!
Pros
My Co-workers and Managment was awesome!
Cons
Healthcare was expensive
Bristol Hospital
Bariatric Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 10, 2018
I was at Bristol Hospital for 12 years, I loved my job and never imagined leaving. I was laid off and had to move on. My job was very rewarding and I miss my Bristol Hospital Family
Well oiled and reliable team
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 9, 2018
cant complain much about the job, was temporary since I worked another job but when I did work, the job was straightforward. Employees and coworkers were good people, Very reliable and trustworthy
Pros
Good teamwork
Great Hospital for new grads
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTDecember 20, 2017
Wonderful hospital for new grad nurses! For July of 2017 they hired new grads into med surg, ICU, ED and the OR. The new grad residency program was very helpful and you can tell the educators care about all the nurses succeeding and are willing to give you more time on orientation if you need it. They give ample shadow time in other units and areas so you are more aware of what other nurses/cnas are going through on other units. I am very happy here and feel strongly supported by the staff on my unit.
Pros
Strong staff support
Benefits
Great management, and high team environment
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Medical Secretary IIDecember 13, 2017
BH was very balanced and fair place to be employed. It was very team oriented and pretty well staffed. Work environment was mostly up beat and management paid attention to very busy and stressful times with compassion and recognized a job well done individually and as a team. Pro is that the pay is very low.
Pros
great management team
Cons
low pay
review
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  CTNovember 29, 2017
EMT's are very poorly compensated. Everyone is constantly arguing over something. Plenty of over time to be had. Great relationship with police & fire.
Very busy
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTNovember 28, 2017
Great hospital to work for. The position was never boring and I loved working 3 12 hour days. I have considered applying there again but I haven't seen any available positions.
Bhmsg
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTNovember 27, 2017
Our office was set up as a Primary Care and Urgent Care facility. On a typical day I would be required to take X-rays as needed and room patients as a medical assistant. The people I work with are very helpful and enjoyable to work with and willing to train. The hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Why i left
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTNovember 26, 2017
Wasnt too bad needed a new challenge. Not very competetive, salary increases happen rarely, if you have experience in the field you apply for you will recieve a higher salary
did not meet my expectations
Medical Assistant/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTOctober 10, 2017
The job is not what I expected at all, management is poor, a lot of broken promises, a very big turn out rate, the BHSMG group needs revamping in order to keep employees happy in the work force.
Pros
close to home
Cons
short breaks, time off comes out of your PTO time, management won't work with you
great place to work, my director and team were the best.
General Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTSeptember 15, 2017
I enjoyed my entire experience working their. I had a great working relationship with my director, and staff. we got a great deal accomplished during my time there.