Bristol Hospital Employee Reviews

Be ready to work until you drop!
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CT 06010January 26, 2019
The facility it self is a great facility. Unfortunately, floors are always understaffed and your load of work is always too much, enough to possibly create room for error. The culture is not my cup of tea. The most enjoyable part of my job would definitely have to be spending time with patients. Always brought a smile to my face.
Pros
Cons
overworked, under payed, understaffed
Pca/medtech
PCA/MED.TECH (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CT 06010January 10, 2019
Loved patient care..nurses nice and co-workers..loved helping other co-workers when I had down time. Hardest part of job was seeing someone pass away.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Many leaving to seek better opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTDecember 12, 2018
Bristol Hospital has made some major changes by cutting employee spouse benefits and many are dissatisfied with Lab management. This has resulted in a influx of employees leaving and seeking better opportunities.
Pros
It use to be the benefits
Cons
Low pay rate
Bewareeee
PCA (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTDecember 9, 2018
I WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND ANY PCA TO WORK AT THIS HOSPITAL!!!! While there were staff that was very helpful and willing to help the PCA’s majority of the nurses sat at the nurses station right along with the night supervisor and gossip. Certain staff members are VERY racist. The old float pool manager was the best manager you could ever have. She actually went to bat for her staff. The new manager is terrible and rude. The pay was low and the hours sucked. Favoritism was big on G-Level and they always gave the floaters the heaviest assignment with no help from any of the staff. I’m not sure about RN’s but if you’re looking for a PCA position PLEASE DO NOT TO APPLY TO BRISTOL HOSPITAL!!!!!
Pros
Unlimited overtime, certain staff was great
Cons
Pay rate, insurance, Always short staffed, and did I mention the pay rate?
Sleep lab center
Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 23, 2018
Medical doctor and I, had lab running as smooth as can be . With 2.5 million profit. But, Resp Care Director came in, and screwed the lab up, so bad, so bad !!!
Pros
No pros
Cons
Little cons
Volunteer
Shadowing Student (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTSeptember 19, 2018
Volunteering at Bristol Hospital was fantastic. To be clear, I was not an employee. I spent my free time volunteering and shadowing in college. This was a great hospital to be involved with the field of nursing. The staff was welcoming from the second I step foot in the building. The group of health care providers in the emergency unit dedicated a lot of their time to us as students in order to thoroughly explain and help guide us through their daily routines. Thank you Bristol Hospital!
Pros
Friendly, welcoming, comfortable
Great experience
Medical Assistant Float (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 19, 2018
My position as an Medical Assistant float was a great learning experience. I learned the differences in specialties and office styles. I enjoyed the opportunity to work here
not productive
PATIENT CARE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 30, 2018
prefer not to comment, not worth commenting alot of the new hires get burnt out quickly because the floors are short staffed on purpose and managers dont care
Pros
get to clock out and leave
Cons
stressed out
Great place to work.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 26, 2018
Working in a Nursing Home allowed me to see the other side of personal care. Mostly elderly clients but at times ages of 18 and over have been their for rehabilitation due to car accidents or surgeries. Great co-workers to work with.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 2, 2018
You need to have your running shoes on to work at Bristol Hospital. It is a very fast pace work setting on several floors. I loved it tho. Not only did I get a work out daily, But the day went by so much faster being busy. I was never bored and was constantly learning new skills from amazing nurses, which I admired. I also learned a lot from other employees in different parts of the hospital. We worked as a great team and helped look out for other assigned patients when needed if nurse or PCT were busy helping someone else.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Typical day at work
General Service (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 12, 2018
It’s good nice people to work for I like being there cause I like helping people & helping my fellow employees it was nice working there people were willing to help you.
Not so great
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Multi specialty groupJune 10, 2018
This company is by far a place who cares nothing about their employees. Even the president is a mess. They really need to stop hiring disrespectful, uneducated people who work in their offices. I worked in an office where the person in charge would shop all day online and Facebook for hours at work. I have witnessed several employees pick up phone and put patients on hold just to finish shopping or their own personnel phone calls. This place lacks patient care so bad. They don’t care even if you even speak up. They actually need a complete makeover on who to hire in a medical field and who to not. I will tell u I would never want one of my family members being a patient in one of these offices.
Not as advertised
PAYROLL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 3, 2018
I am currently in nursing school looking to further my career in the healthcare industry which is what brought me to Bristol Hospital. The role I took on was not in the clinical area but I accepted the position offered so I could "get my foot in the door" so to speak. I learned shortly after working here that they would not be willing to offer me a position as a registered nurse upon graduation unless I worked as a tech first (clinical position) because I'd "only" be earning my Associate's Degree. The problem is that techs do not make much. Even with differentials, I'd have to take a pay cut and due to the cost of my education, that was not something I was able to do. I tried to make connections with the right people and explain that I did plan to further my education as a registered nurse but they still frowned upon the fact that I wouldn't have my BSN in the time frame I planned to start working as an RN.

Additionally (working as a Payroll Specialist), I learned that clinical positions did not pay as well as other hospitals and the raises that they offer are PITIFUL. Most people only receive about a 1% raise even if they had outstanding performance. The benefits are not great either (other than vision) and they do not match retirement contributions until you have been there for 3 years.

Also, all PTO is rolled into one bucket (sick time, personal days, holidays) so while it may seem nice that people on average get about 3 weeks of PTO a year, you should realize that this is NOT in addition to paid holidays or sick time. My previous company offered 2 weeks of PTO,
  more... plus one week of sick time, 4 days of floating holiday, and all our holidays were paid for that did not reduce our PTO bucket. Not to mention, if they close due to inclement weather (specifically referring to nonessential employees), this also is taken out of the PTO bucket. Again, my previous job paid this out and it was not deducted from the PTO bucket.

So although the staff is comprised of many individuals who have been there for many years (decades really), keep in mind that they started with better benefits that were grandfathered in and they no longer have such amazing benefits. In a nutshell, I will say this: BUYER BEWARE!!
Not a fun place to work
Centralized Scheduler Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CT level dApril 28, 2018
It is a fast pace place very stressful and I don't get paid enough for the amount of work I do.people don't work together the department s don't appreciate all we do in our department.
Lacks Leadership
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 16, 2018
Bristol Hospital could be a wonderful place to work if there was better leadership within management. Our department has a large turn over due to lack of leadership and department support.
Pros
Excellent location, great hours
Cons
No team players, no pay increases, no incentives, no leadership
average
Diagnostic Radiologic tech/ct (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMarch 8, 2018
Learned cat scan there great staff tough drive to work, great department employees I enjoyed all the ancillary staff I worked with, difficult commute however
Pros
good people
Cons
n/a
bad management
Clinical Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTMarch 1, 2018
human resources department supports bad management, any complaint is turned against you, very nice nurses and doctors, minute annual raises if any, minimal shift differentials
Horrible bosses and worse co workers
Food Service (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTFebruary 18, 2018
A bunch of condescending, inconsiderate managers.. very unprofessional.. supervisor led by fear. I was there for over 10 years and never recognized for the hard work I put into this job or compensated as such, only told to work harde because we had no help. The hours were all over the place with empty promises of better working hours. Don’t waste your time
Pros
Free food, going home
Cons
Everything else
Very Stressful Work Environment
Central Scheduler (Former Employee) –  BHMSGFebruary 15, 2018
The dept I was in had 9 doctors. The phones were always busy and no one ever helped. There were people that weren’t doing anything but texting or wandering around gossiping but never helped. There was no teamwork. Everyone always had something to say about someone else’s mistakes but never looked at theirs. The MA’s sucked in calling patients back, and some of the providers as well. After complaining a couple of times to management nothing was ever done. As a matter of fact, people would text right in her face while the phones rang and she wouldn’t say anything. The manager was never there and when she was all she talked about was how rich her family is and how spoiled she is. Always bragging as if someone cared or asked her. Yet when it came down to get things done or something was presented to her for assistance she wouldn’t do NOTHING!!! Overall the worst, unprofessional, office I’ve ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management and Poor Training
Loved working at Bristol Hospital
SecretaryII Admin.Prog.Assist.WIC Program (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 15, 2018
I loved working at Bristol Hospital for the State of CT WIC Program. It was a very rewarding job. I loved the clients who I extablished a work relationship with and it was very interesting work. Management was excellent! Our team was wonderful! There wasn't a hard part of this job. It was fast paced, but the day flew by! I enjoyed the customer services aspect and my co-workers, management were wonderful, making us an amazing team!
Pros
My Co-workers and Managment was awesome!
Cons
Healthcare was expensive