Brookdale Senior Living

residentemerituslivingseniorcarestaffelderlycaregiver

The Best Place to work at

Featured review

Brookdale Senior Living selected this as a representative review
This job was the best job I have had. I enjoyed this job very much because not only are you helping others but you feel good doing it. This job is hard work but if you put yourself to it you can make it feel like a home.

Teamwork

Great sense of community team work. Staff appreciation is only one of the perks while working with Brookdale. They really promote on the job training and belonging to the team.

Brookdale Senior Living insights

Based on 5,870 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Career with a Purpose

Working at Brookdale gives me purpose. We have a culture of caring and we work together to make the residents and associates lives better each day. Every day is different and it keeps us on our toes. Even though I've been with Brookdale for a long time, I still learn something new each day. The hardest part of my job is finding good associates who are ready to add to this amazing team we have built. The most enjoyable part of my job is discovering new information about a resident that helps us take better care of them.

Brookdale Senior Living is a company that cares!

This is the best company I have ever worked for. The company morals and values are in line with mine. They truly care about the residents, family members and associates. The residents always come first. The associates are passionate about what they do. It is a company that encourages excitement and fun for all. They believe in the associates and promotes within. They provide extensive training and gives you the tools you need to work with and succeed. It is place like home where you can help the residents. Everyone is a team player which helps when things are busy. The managers are all working managers and assist where they are needed which is different in many healthcare settings. I really feel like when I go to work it is my second home and my family. The best part of my job is having the resources to do my job which allows my passion of helping others. What a wonderful feeling at the end of the day to be able to touch the lives of others and help our seniors in a time of need. Having the ability to help and give back something so special to our seniors that gave to all of us. This is Brookdale! Brookdale touches not only the lives of our resident and families but cares about the associate. The company is very giving company. They invest in the associates by giving opportunities to grow in different positions. They provide education that helps you grow and learn in the field that you desire. The entire team from the top CEO, VP, DDO's are supportive, listen, and help in any way. I would like to thank Brookdale Senior Living for the opportunity and opportunities to come in -

Management really believes that everyone should have an optimum life.

My typical day consists of contacting families interested in either Assisted Living or Memory Care. I have learned that there are a lot of working pieces for a community to be successful. Our residents come first. The hardest part of my job is having a resident pass away. The most enjoyable part is seeing the residents happy.

Very nice and friendly staff . Great place to work

It was a great experience working for Brookdale . Nice staff and manager is very nice person. They care about their workers and appreciate very much your job.

It was alright sometimes they dump all the annoying residents on you can suck sometimes but it’s good vibes all around in the kitchen it’s fast workplace

Terrible place to work

Terrible. Management is worthlessl, work their 8 and are gone. Never want to help their staff. No communication at all. Loss every employee in the kitchen and expected 1 person to do EVERYTHING with no help

It will suck your will to live..

This place will take all of your time, energy and will to live… and then ask for more. They treat employees terrible and put profit above care every time. Terrible policy and procedures that were clearly written by someone that has never been in a clinical position. Staffing hours are automated by an wacky care planning system, and pleas for change are completely ignored. As a nurse you are expected to be on call 24/7. Forget your personal life because when there is a call out you are made to work the floor day or night and still complete your assigned tasks. Directors call all the shots but refuse to get out of their office and lend a helping hand. The clinics department is given a small budget and expected to work without necessary tools to complete their job. Concerns with prospective move ins are ignored and you will end up with a building full of residents who exceed care abilities. Staff is poorly trained and retention is even worse. Put simply if you want to have a building full of residents you can’t care for, with under trained staff who cal out more than they come to work, lack the tools you need, have no personal life, and no decision making in your department then this is the job for you. Otherwise save yourself and license by working elsewhere.

Need more diversity and culture in management

Typical work day was a fast-paced environment. I learned how to do consultative selling. Need more people of color in management positions. Some people in management get an "F" in respecting employees under them. Many are rude.

Not a good place

VERY, VERY UNDERSTAFFED!the company only cares about filling beds. on the company handbook, you get (2) 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute uninterrupted lunch break, THAT'S A LIE! its a MIRACLE if you even get 5 minutes to drink water. I work at Brookdale Torbett and there are literal bosses favorites. You can bend over backwards for the company but they won't even notice because it is expected. There are usually 2 people on staff for 18-24 residents each. Sometimes, the person you are paired with does NOTHING but pretend to do his/her job. Just not a good place to work at. Starting pay on the advertisement was $18, actual starting rate is $16.50. Not worth the pay with how many residents you take care of. Most of them need extra attention.

Cons

No Breaks, No Lunch, Short Staff, Incompetent Staff

Awesome place to work other than the favoritism the work ethic is great plus you get bonuses only thing I didn't like was the pay it seemed like Brookdale was in a high tax bracket

Overworked

(Mount Vernon, Oh location)All staff including management was required to work in all capacities. Meaning Nurse Management was expected to cook and serve while working the floor due to staff shortage and still complete all management job expectations. ED was "always willing to help" but constantly made associates feel like they were never good enough. The overall work environment was physically, emotionally and mentally draining.

Cons

Residents and family were permitted to treat staff poorly

ok start for Nursing career

decent pay,and guaranteed hoursmanagement was ok.hard to get breaks at timesI really did not work there long enough to assess all that came along with working there.

I Wish I Had Come To Brookdale Sooner!

Brookdale may be the best kept secret in our area. The leadership, support, and culture is next to none. I have worked for small businesses and non-profits most of my life and this is a breath of fresh air. To work for a company who is so large they have the collateral to offer great benefits and a fantastic work culture it amazing. I am energized by the advancement opportunities and feel a sense of purpose as Brookdale Senior Living is actually here to help seniors. The residents here are happy and a joy to get to know.

Job Work/Life Balance Great

Being about to work from the comfort of your own home has been great. If anything happens, management understands if you need to leave. Very flexible at making up time if you need to. The hardest part of the job is the training.

Better then most

Working in this field for 15 years management here is better then faculties I worked with as a director and a RA & med-tech. I do think that there could be better wages as many do take on more then what's in their job discriptions as employees and management that stress does cause people to become silent and/or agressive but the residents are the best thing that truly remind us why we're in this feild and give us the true feelings of gradification and love we all thrive for as human beings. Could use someone to specifically do hands on training with new hires but management even over worked trys to help. Keep up the amazing work All of you you truly make me feel apart of a family.

Pros

The love and affection of residents, full-time, management

Cons

Overworked, needs better training, and

Great job but poor management

I started working with them over a month ago and everything seemed to be ok BUT, I wasn’t properly trained, I’m always asked to stay over or pick up extra shifts. The work isn’t hard at all but what’s stressful is that the other employees are getting burned out due to us being short staffed. We too have lives after we clock out and are too tired to tend to our families and homes. And if we’re going to be over worked because of poor managing then we should be well compensated. The residents are what keeps me coming.

Not great

Not a controlled environment. Not put together. everyone is constantly all over the place. No one knows what they are doing or just don’t want to do they’re job.

Not good

This place needs a lot of work to be preformed. There is no staff or direction and things are always in disarray because of those facts. Ppl are nice

Challenging but worthwhile workplace

Fellow care staff are wonderful to work with, but management leaves a lot to be desired. The residents bring a challenge, and lots of smiles.Overall, my coworkers made me feel supported, but management changes around so often that there's no consistency and changes come too fast and hard. I learned a lot of great skills for HCA's while here, but had to be a squeaky wheel to actually get the training needed for the job. If you're willing to work through the downs, the ups are worth it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookdale Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Brookdale Senior Living with

• Brookdale Senior Living
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?