Brookdale Senior Living

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Busy but exciting place to work

Spending time with my residents was always the best part of my day. The job was stressful, but extremely rewarding. A lot of cultural learning opportuities with residents and families.

Your experience doesn’t determine your pay

The job is pretty laid back and “cushy” for a nursing job. However, the nurses with the most experience (10+ years) and have been with the company anywhere from 2 years to 10+ years are the lowest paid nurses. The nurses with less than 2 years of experience/recent graduate and are newly hired are making several more dollars per hour than the nurses with experience and longevity.

Pros

Easy, the residents

Cons

Unfair pay, techs constantly complain about other techs

I wish I could have trusted them.

The "Company" has an amazing vision regarding how they want thier communities to operate. Unfortunately, on a more local level, many of the R's are bullish and do not follow through with what they promise. Disappointing to say the least.

Pros

Philosophy, Residents and their families

Cons

Untrustworthy

September 20, 2021
We are sorry you feel this way but appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We have shared your experience with our corporate HR team.

Loved the job but the employees were terrible

I enjoyed working there and loved the residents. The med techs and caregivers are there just for the drama and causing trouble. There’s a lot of favoritism towards some of the people that are employed there and they continuously lie to keep the drama going. There is not much professionalism in the nursing dept. I would never put any of my relatives in the care of the people that work there. They really need to evaluate the employees. There is so many turnovers in the nursing side. They claim to do thorough investigations on situations but the same people are there causing the same drama for everyone else. There has been so many people that come in and leave after the first day because of the way the nursing staff acts.

Pros

Residents

September 20, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We have shared your feedback with our corporate HR team. We also encourage you to call our Brookdale Integrity Line, at 1-888-302-3303 to discuss any concerns you may have.

awful place to work

They don’t care about their residents of their employees. They never trained me or told me how to properly handle residents. I had no experience and they threw me in there. Awful.

September 20, 2021
We have shared your feedback with our corporate HR team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Difficulty hiring and retaining personal care staff.

Overall, a good organization to work for. There are monthly all staff meetings to keep every current on happenings in the company and for employees to get questions and concerns addressed.

Pros

Flexible work schedules, staff was flexible about picking up shifts to support the needs of the organization about

Cons

Communication breakdowns

September 20, 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

It’s a decent place to work

Nice place to work. Hours were nice, co workers helpful and nice, I loved my residents! Overall, a great company and beautiful location. Pay could have been a little better, but isn’t that anywhere?

Pros

12 hour shifts

September 20, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We appreciate it.

Corporate doesn’t care about their employees

Always short staffed, corpo6only cares about their numbers, not the well being of associates. They bark orders, staff retention is low. Residents and families are amazing. That is the only thing I miss about the community.

Cons

Short staffed, overworked

September 20, 2021
Your feedback is important to us and we have shared it with our corporate HR team for their review. We are sorry you feel this way.

Okay workplace

This job is okay depending on location and management. You get close to residents and also enjoy your coworkers. But if a resident gets physical they dont do much.

September 20, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Bad supervisor

No encouragement always give you the negative things. Not enough food ordered always run out of everything. Never want to go pick up things we are missing.

Pros

The residents

September 20, 2021
We take your feedback seriously and have shared it with our corporate HR team.

Jobs at Brookdale Senior Living

See more jobs

Great Team Work

The residents were fabulous, easy to work with, kind, loving with a sense of humor that made them a joy to work with. The staff worked together as a team crossing over to help each other in different departments when needed. The most difficult part of the job was the hardship and chaos created by the covid rules/restrictions on residents and staff which doubled the work load at times.Overall, I felt a sense of family there. Happy to have been able to help encourage seniors, especially when time with their family was so limited last year.

Pros

Teamwork, love of residents & staff keeps you going.

Cons

Sometimes so much to do in a day that a person feels overwhelmed during this trying covid season.

September 20, 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you!

Very stressful

they never had enough employees to help out. sometimes it would only be 2 people on one side which is supposed to have a MINIMUM of 3. everyone was always calling out and other employees weren’t very friendly and wanted to cause drama. it was like high school. everyone was a snake.

Pros

as many hours as you want

Cons

left alone, not properly trained, not enough equipment for residents.

September 20, 2021
We take your comments seriously and have shared them with our corporate HR team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We also encourage you to call our Brookdale Integrity Line, at 1-888-302-3303 to discuss any concerns you may have.

The residents at this facility are Amazing

Very understaffed. Will hire anyone which is scary. You do your job and the job of whoever doesn't show up. The residents at this facility are amazing. It makes all the management nonsense worth it.

Pros

Residents are amazing

Cons

Understaffed and poor management

Do not work here

You will be accused of things left and right. Paid horribly for the work you put in and talked down to by all the management who think they are better than everyone.

Pros

Cons

Awful management

N/a

Work for eight years and had a very good learning experience with the Residents which I believed it keep me there for all these years . I believe that I performed my job of my best of my knowledge and I wasn’t appreciated per the management and corporation. …..

Pros

N/a

Cons

Healthcare, wages, poor management, etc….

September 20, 2021
We are sorry you feel this way but appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

A place to grow

Every company has its ups and downs. I focus on the ups. I am grateful that I receive training and schedule flexibility. I would like to believe I am paid fairly as well.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Short staffed

September 14, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Don't work here!

None of the employees speak English! Though with residents. Not a place I'd let my family go! The employees here are very lazy! Very lazy. Especially the aides that can't speak English. Take your family to a better facility!

September 14, 2021
We take your feedback seriously and have shared it with our corporate HR team.

Decent place to work

I worked here for about 1 year and a half, almost 2. If it weren't for personal reasons I would probably still be there. Anyways I loved the residents and they always put a smile on my face everyday. Management was pretty good for the most part, im not very vocal when I'm upset or something is bothering me but over time I felt more and more comfortable speaking to my superior about certain things. Co workers is a toss up, you got some who always did their job correctly then others who didn't and would slack off leaving me being the one who sometimes would have to do it for them. Turn over rate was unfortunately very very high while I worked here.

Pros

Ease of advancement, residents

Cons

High turnover rate, non dependable co workers

September 14, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We appreciate it.

Overworked and underpaid

Management and directors show no appreciation whatsoever. Requested time off was never approved but expected to constantly pick up extra shifts on your days off

Stressful

You must have flexibility. I don’t like that executive directors can act anyway they want, no accountability for them. Upper management is professional and courteous.

Pros

Descent money, not great. Leader in the industry

Cons

No work life balance and stressful

September 14, 2021

Management had no knowledge about how to keep good staff or nurses they are losing staff as well as good nursing from lacking of knowledge. And a quick fix with Hire agent aid and nurses is not the answer to the problem. Acknowledge good staff and nurses those are the one that help keep Brookdale running. When you lose 4 nurses and RCA in one month and continue to lose staff that a problem. When a staff put their 2 weeks in management should be concern on what can we do to keep this staff here when they have put 10 years in this place never call off out of the 10 years that’s a huge problem on management family and residents said the same thing a big loss on them. Each floor need to have more than one staff period. Management should be made mandatory to work the floors each month for a whole week and uniforms not asking too much especially when we’re short staff . Management need hand on training to work on the floor all three shifts so they can feel what we feel as staff. Just maybe they would get whole picture of why they can’t keep staff .

September 14, 2021
We take your comments seriously and have shared them with our corporate HR team. We are sorry you feel this way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brookdale Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K

Women's ratings

2.3Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Brookdale Senior Living with

• Brookdale Senior Living
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?